Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

Brilliant! I love this layout. You've really captured the essence of the C&HP, and in such a small space. It'll be years before I ever get to sit back and enjoy the fruit of my labors like this. It's just taken me three weeks to build the first turnout for my project and I have so much brickwork to create I wouldn't get much change out of Stockport viaduct!  I'm now considering a 'shunting puzzle' of my own, just to afford some respite from the discipline of recreating a large and complicated prototype. On the other hand, are you just making this look easy? I'm very familiar with Ladmanlow. I've been driving around the Peak district for thirty five years (not constantly!) and in recent years I regularly pass that way on Sunday mornings on my old Royal Enfield, coming off the Cat'n'Fiddle, heading to Longnor for breakfast at the Cobbles. Funny how it always seems to smell of overheated brakes around there. 

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, spech said:

Brilliant! I love this layout. You've really captured the essence of the C&HP, and in such a small space. It'll be years before I ever get to sit back and enjoy the fruit of my labors like this. It's just taken me three weeks to build the first turnout for my project and I have so much brickwork to create I wouldn't get much change out of Stockport viaduct!  I'm now considering a 'shunting puzzle' of my own, just to afford some respite from the discipline of recreating a large and complicated prototype. On the other hand, are you just making this look easy? I'm very familiar with Ladmanlow. I've been driving around the Peak district for thirty five years (not constantly!) and in recent years I regularly pass that way on Sunday mornings on my old Royal Enfield, coming off the Cat'n'Fiddle, heading to Longnor for breakfast at the Cobbles. Funny how it always seems to smell of overheated brakes around there. 

Thank you very much for your comments. I have in the past done the "big layout recreating a prototype" thing, and whilst I enjoyed the experience and learned a lot, I ended up getting bored with it on several occasions. I've found much more enjoyment from Ladmanlow, as it has been easy to see progress, and achieve meaningful goals, and yet not be limiting in terms of modelling scope.

I can think of few better roads for bikers than the Cat'n'Fiddle, yes OK the Isle of Man has its points, and there's bits of Scotland and Wales too, but it really is quite special. The scent of Ferodo is of course drifting across from Chapel-en-le-Frith, and nothing to do with tight corners and steep hills...

Al.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Looking splendid Al. 

I add iron oxide weathering powders to the rail head with some 'rust' stippled on for contrast. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I was hoping he'd come to me first to build one of his signature stone walls, only 4ft long requiring approximately 1000 stones :lol:

Sorry Chris, I didn't realise there was a queue.:laugh:

• Funny 2

7 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I don't think Al knew either :lol:

Well he sure as hell does now, :laugh:

BTW, I might need some Walls as well, and I don't mean Ice Cream, (although that  would be nice on some chockie cake).

And I Must let Kevin / @KNP know I need some Trees as well when he's finished messing about with his Harbour bits.:nono:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

As Rob (@NHY581) suggested, I've applied some rusty weathering powders to the rail head.

ladmanlow1497.jpg.1f60f4adcbeea779c86fa021721dabba.jpg

ladmanlow1498.jpg.44e93165edb98ec8af3d6dc96a1aa3d3.jpg

ladmanlow1499.jpg.b94c1c951baf17f54f59947235b7da8c.jpg

It adds a subtle something, I think.

Al.

Is that intended to be the end of the line ?  If so, would a small sapling growing in the 4ft be a nice touch ?

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, figworthy said:

Is that intended to be the end of the line ?  If so, would a small sapling growing in the 4ft be a nice touch ?

Adrian

That sounds a great idea Adrian, yeah, I'll look at that.

Al.

• Like 2