Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Oh, you might notice that Andy Y kindly changed my login name for me. I found that acg_mr, my original login, was remarkably difficult for people to remember, and going to shows and saying "I'm acg_mr on RMWeb" was often met with blank looks.

Hopefully you'll know who Alister_G is...

:)

Al.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Let's get some photos of work on the thread!

Here's the beginnings, shoving some points around on an offcut of ply:

ladmanlow03.jpg.af7b6ec486c8cb4a8f457b54250ab56f.jpg

ladmanlow04.jpg.78c90533ad858ae9d11ecebc0ff232e0.jpg

These are Peco Code75 Long points.

ladmanlow05.jpg.df37fd45e47caa886b101f44780177f9.jpg

The plain track is C&L Flexi:

ladmanlow06.jpg.c22536082fb3918161bbce2b9a22c2be.jpg

Once the track layout was settled on, I took the plywood off into the dungeon to butcher it:

ladmanlow07.jpg.3c26cebcba80ba01b8464279ece4550a.jpg

and returned some hours later with a baseboard:

ladmanlow08.jpg.c4b43b1ebfe49277f08f232a008f9427.jpg

You can see that there will be an access road, leading up to a small yard.

More in a minute.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
replace images
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Welcome back mate, pity it's NOT O Gauge, but you can't win them all. I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your superb Buildings, Details and Weathering.

Thanks very much Andy, great to hear from you.

I hope your flood is under control :O

I'm not sure yet whether there will be much in the way of buildings on this layout, I'm hoping to keep it quite open, but we'll see what happens.

Al

• Like 1

Thanks very much Andy, great to hear from you.

I hope your flood is under control :O

I'm not sure yet whether there will be much in the way of buildings on this layout, I'm hoping to keep it quite open, but we'll see what happens.

Al

You should be able to find room for one of those little rusty tin sheds somewhere mate. :no:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Continuing,

Here's the finalised track layout on the baseboard:

ladmanlow09.jpg.aafb64ef26e6f44e6e1eea2d3c63e1ed.jpg

A bit of PVA and newspaper forms the contours of the land:

ladmanlow10.jpg.b0393cba40e599fda869b0e08b6aeca8.jpg

A fine selection of tinned goods, as I glue the track down!

ladmanlow11.jpg.e451c3b43308826543dd97e91d83f39a.jpg

ladmanlow12.jpg.53d106ed5a0c93ccbdd71744306430b8.jpg

I'm using Peco point motors to switch the turnouts:

ladmanlow13.jpg.3934b5787439d34e1899fcbd6c4d838f.jpg

I cut a hole in the side of the baseboard to fit the socket for my NCE Powercab controller:

ladmanlow14.jpg.008cb097e6b02fdd117be7a51df0c1e4.jpg

ladmanlow15.jpg.45ddbd26e4b446e0bc22cef1cbc10b4e.jpg

and then started wiring up the track

ladmanlow16.jpg.770c4eb8d8e6d9d514c3cddb930ada81.jpg

That's all for now, must get to bed.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
replace images
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, good to have you back, you can never have enough tins and bowls of fruit on a layout. All the best Adrian.

Hi Adrian, no, a well stocked grocery cupboard is a must for any modeler :)

The bananas are essential...

Al.

Hi Al good to have you back. The area you highlighted on the map is such an interesting place when i drive too crewe this is the way i go and when i pass the little farm i have often wondered about the railway history of this area as you drive up the hill you can still see the embankment and parts of the bridge that crossed the road and in the farm field you can see a railway bridge being so high up i always wondered the purpose of the railway was.Look forward to your model good luck.https://goo.gl/maps/J8R2UeSkPYP2

Edited by vulcan product fan
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al good to have you back. The area you highlighted on the map is such an interesting place when i drive too crewe this is the way i go and when i pass the little farm i have often wondered about the railway history of this area as you drive up the hill you can still see the embankment and parts of the bridge that crossed the road and in the farm field you can see a railway bridge https://goo.gl/maps/J8R2UeSkPYP2 being so high up i always wondered the purpose of the railway was.Look forward to your model good luck.

Hi Andy,

Yep I often go that way when visiting friends in Macc, and as you say the old embankment and bridge are very clear to see as you start up the hill.

It's only recently that I found out they were a part of the old C&HPR, I thought they were an old tramway or something.

Cheers mate,

Al.

• Like 1

Hi Al good to have you back. The area you highlighted on the map is such an interesting place when i drive too crewe this is the way i go and when i pass the little farm i have often wondered about the railway history of this area as you drive up the hill you can still see the embankment and parts of the bridge that crossed the road and in the farm field you can see a railway bridge being so high up i always wondered the purpose of the railway was.Look forward to your model good luck.https://goo.gl/maps/J8R2UeSkPYP2

Likewise I often wondered what trackbed the earth works were for when using the road, now I know.

• Like 1

Hello Al,

Nice to see you back, buddy!

That's a smashing part of the world up there - it was close to the limits of my old cycling territory (when I lived in Derby) but I used to ride both trails quite regularly.

I love that wild line and really must set about modelling it myself sometime.

Cheers,

John.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John, great to hear from you.

The C&HPR is a very special little railway with a very distinctive character - wild and open as you say.

I hope this layout will capture that feeling.

Al.

• Like 2

Hi Alister

The freight yard to the left of the road as you come into Buxton was still in occasional use into the sixties as was the branch line in to Grinlow quarry which ran down the middle of the lane in front of a row of houses in Ladmanlow where an old school friend lived at the time.

Nick

Good to see you back Al.

Great to see you're modelling again, especially modelling a bit of C&HPR, my favourite railway.

One of the most unique railways ever built I think. Looks of quirky features, from signals to inclines, incredibly sharp bends etc ! A bit of everything.

good luck with your new adventure...

joe

Edited by Joe MCMLXI

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alister

The freight yard to the left of the road as you come into Buxton was still in occasional use into the sixties as was the branch line in to Grinlow quarry which ran down the middle of the lane in front of a row of houses in Ladmanlow where an old school friend lived at the time.

Nick

Hi Nick,

That's interesting, it was my understanding that the whole of that branch was closed when the link to Whaley was shut.

Cheers,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you back Al.

Great to see you're modelling again, especially modelling a bit of C&HPR, my favourite railway.

One of the most unique railways ever built I think. Looks of quirky features, from signals to inclines, incredibly sharp bends etc ! A bit of everything.

good luck with your new adventure...

joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks mate, yep the C&HPR is a favorite of mine as you know.

Looking forward to doing this, I'm really hoping this will be good.

Cheers,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

A bit more of an update, this evening.

So far, I've built the baseboard, laid the track, tested it, and painted it.

Next was to start adding some details.

First thing I did was to add the first of four buffer stops.

This is just the cheap Peco offering, but modified, painted and weathered, it looks a lot better than you would think:

post-17302-0-35586400-1544297673_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-87143200-1544297673_thumb.jpg

Just to try out some ideas, I added some old lengths of Javis drystone walling along the side of the line:

post-17302-0-60663200-1544298038_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-19062100-1544298039_thumb.jpg

I reckon that has a flavour of the C&HPR about it.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 16