Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Really?

plain_ladmanlow.png.22f91b63aca89ac9c07d2bcfeaac9e26.png

Not so far fetched as you might think, I was once working at a house up in the valleys somewhere around Winster way, I was up a ladder working on the outside of the upstairs bathroom wall when I heard a loud noise behind me, I turned round to see a jet plane of some variety pass below me!

Mike.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Not so far fetched as you might think, I was once working at a house up in the valleys somewhere around Winster way, I was up a ladder working on the outside of the upstairs bathroom wall when I heard a loud noise behind me, I turned round to see a jet plane of some variety pass below me!

Yep, back in the days when we had an Air Force, they used to train low flying with Jaguars and Harriers up the valley that Bakewell sits in. My parent's farm is on the hillside above the town, and it was a common thing to look down on the aircraft as they flashed past.

Al.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alister

Just discovered this thread, moved to the latest post and am confronted by....period aircraft!

Many moons ago I used to to live in a small cottage on the hillside below Crich Quarry, of Tramway Museum fame. As part of the TMS 'Grand Transport Extravaganza' weekend in the seventies, something always flew. One year I found myself looking down (really!) on a Spitfire that had presumably flown low over the museum and was escaping southwards. More spectacularly, a year later I think, we heard a rumbling sound then the whole cottage began to shake; rushing to the same window, we saw a Lancaster flying what seemed to be straight for us up the valley from Cromford! Almost immediately the aircraft veered very noisily steeply  upwards and sideways as I remember it. Must have been '75 or '76. As a friend said at the time, it was the Möhne Dam experience without guns and bombs! 

It's the "A Prototype for Everything" department again!

I was lucky enough to visit the Sheep Pasture and Middleton at almost the last gasp, on a Sunday in 1966 so nothing moving. It felt a bit like being in railway fairyland to one more familiar with Willesden, Old Oak and Nine Elms. A bit of kudos in the trainspotting contingent at my London school for those underlinings in the compendium. They're only really a few snapshots in my memory now but at least they are in colour.

Great modelling

Regards

Iain

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Thanks very much for posting, and welcome to the thread. Yes, I think anyone who lived on the sides of the Wye / Derwent valley from Bakewell up to Cromford and beyond has tales of low-flying aircraft at one time or another. From where I live in Bakewell, we get to see when they do flypasts over Chatsworth, as there is only a low range of hills between us, so I've seen the Battle of Britain flight (Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane) quite a few times, as well as the Red Arrows every year.Dscf1032sm.jpg.4b85efc43835f986f6e916215f665938.jpg

The pigeon looks singularly unimpressed :)

But enough about aircraft, I wish I had been old enough to have visited the C&HPR when it was running, but sadly I was only 3 in 1966 so would not have remembered it. I have very vague memories of being taken to see trains through Bakewell before it closed in 67, but only really because of family photos of me on the platform of the station, no direct memories.

You must indeed have been the envy of the school having bagged the C&HPR!

Great to hear from you, hopefully there will be some more work on the layout soon.

Life's a bit of a whirl with work sorting out my daughter for Uni at the moment, but I need to crack on with a proper backscene and finish off the scenic bits.

Cheers,

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

can I ask what you used for the white hand written chalk markings on the wagons? It looks really effective.

Hi Martyn,

Thanks very much, I used an artist's acrylic paint pen with an ultra-fine tip - I think it's something like 0.4mm - and a lot of tries to get it right. :)

I kid you not, I was very, very scared of doing it on the wagons, having got the weathering so good I didn't want to mess it up!

Al.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Hi Martyn,

Thanks very much, I used an artist's acrylic paint pen with an ultra-fine tip - I think it's something like 0.4mm - and a lot of tries to get it right. :)

I kid you not, I was very, very scared of doing it on the wagons, having got the weathering so good I didn't want to mess it up!

Al.

Thanks for the info Al, will have to buy one. Any recommendation of name to look out for? 

Thanks,

Martyn.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Hi Martyn,

Al.

Sounds like something that could be used for window glazing bars at only 0.4mm. Wonder if it'll write on unpainted plastic?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I've been experimenting with trying to make parts of the layout look more overgrown, and to that end have used some offcuts of hanging-basket liner to see what I could do.

None of this is stuck down, it's only laid on for now.

ladmanlow481.jpg.8fe940e1893b908316b30a0cbf7fdab4.jpg

ladmanlow480.jpg.65605d6fca12d8e7b87946d264716cc8.jpgladmanlow482.jpg.509930b1ab3bad8044309e98fbf95604.jpg

I think, on balance, that's not working, so I'll rethink that end.

However, at the other end, where the road goes down the hill, that looks more promising:

ladmanlow479.jpg.b9c50657f96d2d84a03d948a7a9e2c26.jpg

I might work on that.

Whilst I had the camera out, I thought I'd take a couple more shots. No trains, today:

ladmanlow485.jpg.78df7fac606eaf46c71c7016a086932a.jpgladmanlow483.jpg.5426337e24c83f55b344fee476eaf666.jpg

ladmanlow484.jpg.b49baf98214323d4f8e2c252cee8db75.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Al.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Thanks mullie.

I've used it before on Grindleford and Bakewell, to good effect, but I'm hesitant about using it here, I think even trimmed it might be too overgrown for the windswept, sheep cropped look that I've got going on so far. I might just pull some tufts of the HBL out and stick them around the place, instead of using a whole section.

I want to introduce some buddleia type shrubs as well, to give it that more unkempt appearance, but I don't want to overdo it.

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 2

On 25/03/2019 at 10:45, Alister_G said:

Hi Martyn,

Al.

Hi Al

I've been looking round the web for an acrylic paint pen with a fine nib but without success so far. All that's on offer seems to be sets of 20 or 24, which is going to leave a lot of unwanted pens. Can you remember from where you got yours? I have thought about a Rotring type ink pen but they are hellishly expensive and I'm not sure if the ink would take on enamel or acrylic paint.

One of the problems of making convincing weed growth seems to be representing smaller individual plants like rosebay willowherb (which used to be prominent on any summer railway cutting) or lower-growing but bushy stuff such as common nettles. Oh, and brambles/ blackberries - if anyone wants to do a prototype study of these fine plants, they are welcome to come to the bottom of our garden and even more so if they are armed with spade, fork and shears! I think the fibre is more effective by the roadside than on the sidings.

The abandoned remains of the disused crane looks very good.

Iain