Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy,

I don't think there are any new ones here, but given how long this thread is getting, and the loss of previous images, I thought it was worth reposting with a bit of an explanation.

Cheers mate,

Al.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Alister_G said:

The first time I took the layout out, was at dawn on an August morning in 2019 . . . 

Sounds like the beginning of some trashy romance novel!

• Funny 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Here's two never before seen images, cropped from some of my brother's photos from November 2020:

ladmanlow1545c.jpg.c49253226f7b5bd3ae50bfc692fba220.jpg

ladmanlow1545b.jpg.9964a7ae5441d73156b854dc1e14b5f1.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Al.

If it wasn’t for the OO couplers in the second photo I’d have been fooled. Very realistic and atmospheric. 🙂

Edited by GWR57xx
disambiguation
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, GWR57xx said:

Fixed it! The first photo is real, surely? Has to be...

1 hour ago, Bogie said:

Yes.  The second photo is of the model Alister made based on the actual location featured in the first photo.

I hate to disagree, but both photos are of the model. The location I modelled doesn't exist in reality.

Al.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, GWR57xx said:

If it wasn’t for the OO couplers in the second photo I’d have been fooled. Very realistic and atmospheric. 🙂

The modelling is first class but the unrealistic background gives it away 🤣

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just tuned in to this thread - very impressive, although like most including my own, the current absence of historic images prevents one from working through from day 1.

Great modelling which I shall follow with interest.

Tony

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Just tuned in to this thread - very impressive, although like most including my own, the current absence of historic images prevents one from working through from day 1.

Great modelling which I shall follow with interest.

Tony

Thanks very much Tony, good to have you along.

I have slowly been trying to replace the missing images, but it's a long process, and some of the ones I did replace have gone missing again, which is frustrating.

I hope sufficient survives to give you a feel of it, anyway.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I have slowly been trying to replace the missing images, but it's a long process, and some of the ones I did replace have gone missing again, which is frustrating.

I hope sufficient survives to give you a feel of it, anyway.

Certainly does - and I have given up on the missing images for the time being - life is too short!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Today, threatened with a change in the weather and knowing that most of the rest of my school holidays are dog-sitting for friends and family, I decided upon an impromptu visit to Cromford Wharf* so I could take a few photos, soak up the atmosphere in person etc. As I remarked to another visitor taking photos inside the workshop, “Shame photos can’t bottle the smell, isn’t it?”

Why mention any of that here? Well, on the return journey I decided to visit various points along the C&HPR route, such as Gotham Curve (wow - just - wow!) and, of course, Ladmanlow…

I did drive around the area a bit, had a listen to Burbage Brass Band starting their practice from outside their rehearsal room, and I know that the railway was originally around the area somewhere, but for the life of me I could not distinguish where it might have been! At one point I thought I had stumbled upon it - I think the sign said “Ladmanlow Yard” - but it was a carwash place!

Hey ho!

One highlight was driving through the remains of the YNOT Festival in order to reach Minninglow car park - if I had gone yesterday, the road was actually shut off! Workmen were disassembling tall metal screening/gates as I passed through! One advantage of the festival was that the large tents erected at the base of the stone embankment (as you have modelled) gave a real sense of scale to it - that is one huge, solid piece of landscape engineering!

Have returned home slightly sunburnt but full of enthusiasm and inspiration, plus a renewed sense of awe of what you have achieved in your model (and, of course, in your model of Cromford Wharf**)

Steve S

* Anyone thinking of visiting “High Peak Junction” (originally Cromford Wharf) be aware (I wasn’t!)  that the direct route from Cromford is closed off due to a landslide washing away the road - you need to get to the car park by travelling along the A6 out of Cromford until you cross the River Derwent then taking the B5035 as if to the Crich Tramway museum, but immediately turning left onto Robin Hood Road; this takes you up to Holloway, where you keep left towards Lea Bridge and then to the car park (studiously ignoring the “road closed ahead” signs!!). The lady in the shop said that they had been told the repairs would be finished in November, but that it has already been two years and nobody is holding their breath after the first repairs also got washed away! Or you can do what I did and follow a tortuous route over hill and dale via Matlock due to incompetent satnav apps! 

** There is what appears to be either a OO finescale or possibly EM model layout of the wharf in the workshop in a glass case - however, having walked around the actual site I think whoever built it may have “straightened out the curves” in order to fit it onto the baseboards, as the canal seems much curvier than the model. Plus whoever built it has carefully ignored the Buxton railway line running below the canal on the opposite side from the wharf! @Alister_G’s model captures the atmosphere far better!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Corrected stupid predictive text!
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Hi Steve. 

This site allows you to overlay the current OS map/ aerial photo with older OS maps back to the early 1800s.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/

It is an excellent resource.

Regards Lez.

Thanks for pointing me at that website, Lez - I’ve just had a quick peek at Cromford Wharf with the OS 25” 1892-1914 overlay which really shows how cramped everything was on the site. Unfortunately, the map layer is slightly out of sync with the satellite image, meaning that as I fade across the two eg the workshops do not align - it’s close but out by a few feet!

Do you know of a way of being able to manually adjust the map layer with the satellite image in order to line things up?

Steve S

Using the map resource kindly posted above by @lezz01 I discovered that when I pulled up next to the car wash place (Buxton Hand Car Wash) I was actually just around the corner to the site of Ladmanlow goods yard after all!

Doh!

The cottages are still there fronting onto the A53 more or less opposite to the junction with Grin Low Road, but otherwise all traces - other than by tracing the boundaries of adjoining properties on a satellite image - of the C&HPR’s existence are gone.

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Typos!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Do you know of a way of being able to manually adjust the map layer with the satellite image in order to line things up?

Steve S

No sorry Steve I don't. 

The sad truth is that old maps aren't quite as accurate as we would like. I've yet to see a map or track plan of Tewkesbury shed that matches with the photos. I'm going with the photos and using the old map to get floor plans and distances from one known point to another.

Regards Lez.    

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Visiting the Home page of RMWeb I was delighted to see a deliciously atmospheric and realistic photo of your layout (taken early morning and outside) as one of a revolving gallery of RMWeb layouts - “small but perfectly formed” is the phrase that springs to mind!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Issues with punctuation (!)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1