Ladmanlow Sidings and other C&HPR locations

Alister_G

Strange isn’t it, that daughters never invite dads to romantic dinners, and it is fatallyeasy to embarrass them, I do it by starting to sing.  I think I am pretty good, but obviously my daughter does not agree, neither do her two girls.

Derek

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bogie said:

Your daughter's dinner guest is not into trains?

That my friend is the more worrying aspect.  You will have to lay down some ground rules here Al.

I'm afraid he's into lorries, not trains. However, he is a big Land Rover fan, so all is not lost.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Al, Good to see ewe today at The Small Layouts Show mate, and spending most of your day watching Mutton I noticed.

Inspired?

I think we all were.:good:

Great to see you George and the gang to day mate, and thank you for the tea!

It was a great little show with some very interesting layouts of all sorts, but yes, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to closely examine Mutton, and quiz Rob about how he does stuff.

I reckon George was getting broody about a bit of 00 scale :)

Cheers mate.

Al.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Mange tout, Al. 

Great to see you today. Having chums visit is a very pleasant way to pass the time and I have to say Andy, George and of course yourself, along with many others, did not disappoint. 

Very much worth the journey. 

A smashing day out and thoroughly enjoyed by this Welsh type who was once again made to feel very welcome. 

Sheepbloke

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes Al the trip back was fine. A lot less water. 

Already looking forward to next year if it's on. 

Rob 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well, finally the status quo has returned and I have reclaimed the kitchen table for it's rightful purpose - railway modelling!

ladmanlow787.jpg.5c679b0621d08666396af89ca1424f01.jpg

And not only that, but I have taken over most of the rest of the kitchen as well! :O

ladmanlow788.jpg.69f668c8c11b1ea222bf2246c967307c.jpg

This embarrassing bit of carpentry is the top for the layout, which will incorporate the lighting, and here you can see me wiring it up.

You saw earlier in the thread that I bought two 2-metre strips of LEDs, one in warm white and the other in daylight tones. The two metres length is far too long for the 4 foot layout, but the beauty of these strips is that you can cut them up at various points along their length, and then join them up with some wire and they still work!

So what I've ended up with are two longer pieces of 4 foot length, and two shorter pieces, giving me 4 strips in total to light the layout with.

The LED strips have been stuck to some aluminium angle, screwed to wooden battens and held in a frame. They aren't fixed in place yet, as I want to be able to finally adjust them once the lid is on the layout.

Here's what they look like:

ladmanlow789.jpg.ef7738fb2dfa7fce24a69e54ecf9b873.jpg

and lit:

ladmanlow790.jpg.06e6430b23e1a244a373b34307081114.jpg

So here's the top section temporarily in place on the layout, showing the lighting levels:

ladmanlow791.jpg.bf62633f6f8a44fba697f5a61d122319.jpg

ladmanlow792.jpg.d0d3ec4fba5517a211720801325041cf.jpg

With the two long strips - daylight in front, then warm-white - at the front of the layout, and the shorter strips towards the back to fill in.

Here's looking up from track level:

ladmanlow793.jpg.8501ab45f6720ae1d505b042f2567b07.jpg

The aluminium angle acts as both a baffle, a heatsink and a reflector, and I think works very well.

I have bought two dimmers for the LEDs, so I can balance the levels of the warm-white and daylight strips. I'll get some photos of those later.

In other news, I am finally retiring my current camera, a Fuji FinePixF70, as the zoom has packed up, and the autofocus is getting dodgy. It's 12 years old, so has done well, really.

Here's the replacement:

ladmanlow795.jpg.f8931011ed220fea3b8275f844714ec1.jpg

A Canon Powershot SX620HS. So I will be learning how to make it work, hopefully...

I will try and do some comparison shots from the two cameras later, just for interest.

Thanks for looking,

Al

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Well, finally the status quo has returned and I have reclaimed the kitchen table for it's rightful purpose - railway modelling!

That is a welcome relief.

Why anyone would think a kitchen should be used for anything else is beyond me!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Bogie said:

I thought a kitchen was for making a brew whilst waiting for glue to dry or a soldering iron to warm up?

Those were my feelings about the dining room which I have since occupied, it was far from a hostile takeover though. Prior to the invasion I seeked permission from a higher power

The dining table has also now become my ‘work station’ since I ruined it with a bottle of thin superglue that feel over, sorry dear 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Glad you got your workbench back, I'll look forward to seeing some more pisc, I like the overall view of the layout, there's a good feeling of space despite it's small size. 

Verry nicely done.

steve.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice update, Al. 

Lighting a layout is a definate sub-plot to the layout itself. 

Top stuff. 

Rob 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Bogie said:

3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I thought a kitchen was for making a brew whilst waiting for glue to dry or a soldering iron to warm up?

Those were my feelings about the dining room which I have since occupied, it was far from a hostile takeover though. Prior to the invasion I seeked permission from a higher power

The dining table has also now become my ‘work station’ since I ruined it with a bottle of thin superglue that feel over, sorry dear 

In a small terraced house, the options for modelling are really quite limited, and I don't want to take over the dining / sitting room, as it's the only social room of the house, so it has to be the kitchen. Thankfully it's large enough to allow me to use the table without compromising the cooking functions.

This week I'm on my own, so I can afford to spread out a bit... :)

Al.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Dare we ask if the dining table played a successful part in the liaison it was subjected to previously?!!

Mike.

I think so - he didn't mention being poisoned or anything... :D

Al

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Nice update, Al. 

Lighting a layout is a definate sub-plot to the layout itself. 

Top stuff. 

Rob 

Thanks Rob.

Looking through the threads I follow there seem to be quite a number of folk wrestling with lighting at the moment, Kev on Little Muddle has just done his, as you've probably seen.

It can definitely be the making - or breaking - of a layout, especially for photographic purposes.

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree..

The lighting will affect everything.....certainly in my case my approach to weathering.  

I double check my progress when weathering under the layout lighting. 

Rob. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

In a small terraced house, the options for modelling are really quite limited, and I don't want to take over the dining / sitting room, as it's the only social room of the house, so it has to be the kitchen. Thankfully it's large enough to allow me to use the table without compromising the cooking functions.

This week I'm on my own, so I can afford to spread out a bit... :)

Al.

luckily our terraced house has two reception rooms, so I’ve adopted the smaller one at the front of the house and the larger one in the middle is the living room

I had the whole week to myself last week, unfortunately going to work interfered with my play time :lol:

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

Thanks Rob.

Looking through the threads I follow there seem to be quite a number of folk wrestling with lighting at the moment, Kev on Little Muddle has just done his, as you've probably seen.

It can definitely be the making - or breaking - of a layout, especially for photographic purposes.

Cheers,

Al.

Lighting wasn’t even something I’d considered :wacko:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

As I mentioned I bought two dimmers, one for each colour.

These simply plug in between the power supply and the LEDs, and are controlled by a small RF handset.

ladmanlow796.jpg.fa1c03afa7bb57c5ebf178698c82254b.jpg

ladmanlow797.jpg.25afff890f1793c8ef35fe57758c747c.jpg

You can see I've labelled them up as WW and DL, so I don't get the two confused.

Sadly, this didn't help my confusion...

As if proof were needed, here's a bit of video of me wrestling with the lighting. It's a bit "stream-of-consciousness", as I haven't edited it...

It appears that both dimmers and handsets work on the same signal, so it isn't possible to independantly dim each circuit. For the moment I can have one or the other controllable, but not both.

I will look at getting a different make and model dimmer for the other colour.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Camera Comparison.

I set up a tripod, and took a photo with the old Fuji camera, using just daylight - not the layout lighting.

ladmanlow798.jpg.372f05d818f89a94c1eb0a80b885767b.jpg

Then, without moving the tripod, I replaced the old camera with the new Canon.

At the same level of zoom, it simply wouldn't focus, and there is no manual focus adjustment that I can see. So what we got was this...

ladmanlow799.jpg.be710e457006916bfc8634f976e13d76.jpg

Not my finest photo, I think you'll agree...

I had to pull back the zoom quite a bit to get a sensible photo:

ladmanlow800.jpg.25751506ae2ad9eed57dbf51cc9a9667.jpg

But the colour reproduction is a pretty good match for the Fuji, maybe slightly redder?

Next up, we'll see how it does in Macro mode.

Al.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Camera comparison cont'd,

Using the layout lighting now, as daylight is fading, I placed some stock and took some photos, with the cameras both placed in the same place:

In each case, the Fuji first, Canon second:

ladmanlow801f.jpg.5ef75730b4c29014952964a8e78b3502.jpg

ladmanlow801c.jpg.ef22f127a04fba1b6e4a228a311bc375.jpg

ladmanlow802f.jpg.5f6ba904b1cda433515799fc8d21b34a.jpg

ladmanlow802c.jpg.d89819c8b30a512f11262207d455cca0.jpg

ladmanlow803f.jpg.eb55b573ea89b141b915fad11815bb08.jpg

ladmanlow803c.jpg.abe825741e86e94ddd7cb26e7b7cd60a.jpg

ladmanlow804f.jpg.b430c55a72a3854abbc0a79129f6c90f.jpg

ladmanlow804c.jpg.2bb98f3bdd484ee62794d65fbb19cee4.jpg

ladmanlow805f.jpg.af79835f03b6fe567872fe0d52be1c10.jpg

ladmanlow805c.jpg.59f75009e87c084fc8117958f5f1e083.jpg

Hmm, need time to review these I think.

One thing immediately obvious is that the lens on the Canon is on the opposite side of the body to the Fuji, so placing the camera body in the same place results in slightly different shots.

Also, the lens on the Canon is slightly wider angle than the Fuji, I think.

Things to ponder upon.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2