Bespoke or limited run etching etc., LNWR Invalid Saloon - 4mm Scale

In the past I may well have asked Trevor Charlton to do me some etched zinc 'sides & ends' for a coach, but those days are long gone - Trevor did do a couple of Victorian LNWR Bullion vans for me.
I'm looking to model a LNWR 21' 6" Invalid Saloon, surveyed long ago by Bob & Mike Williams, and detailed in the L&NWR Society's Journal, Vol.4, No.2, Sept., 2003.
Apart from doing the body in plastikard, what other (reasonable cost) methods are available, being mindful this is probably an item that only one or three people my want, and my ££'s resources are low.
This post has been shared with the L&NWR Society's Facebook page.

Do you have drawings/photos and measurements? I could potentially run it up for my shapeways shop in 3D printing if you like?

Drawing is available, photo's would not help at all.

Currently seeing what replies come along on both avenues of enquiry, then I will take it from there.

Many thanks though, for your reply.  

Just out of interest, this is my model of a 25' Bullion Van made up from etched zinc ends/sides on a D&S Models chassis.

post-6979-0-91992000-1544212977.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Penlan, in conversations with Allen at the Worsley Works he has offered to produce etches if I could provide drawings

That said, I think he has a bit of a backlog at the moment.

Might be worth a try.

Di it yourself!  I've done a couple of "trial etches" using Grainge and Hodder.  They offer 9" x 6" for £58.20 (P&P plus VAT inc.).  I use Inkscape and find it very straightforward and satisfying.  To prove it go to .<https://www.dccconceptsforum.com/post/larryg-workbench-9847076?&trail=105>and see what someone did using that software, a photo, help from others on this forum and some details from various books.

Worth the effort to get something no one else will produce for you.

Stan

Hi Penlan, in conversations with Allen at the Worsley Works he has offered to produce etches if I could provide drawings

That said, I think he has a bit of a backlog at the moment.

Might be worth a try.

• 3 weeks later...

Sandy,

Worsley Works etches are nice but even those listed on his website take ages (my W71 coach order took more than a year) to arrive.

This carriage sounds like the sort of thing that John at LRM might be interested in doing, but that means he'll ask me to design it, something I am trying to cut back on.

Inkscape looks similar to CorelDraw, which I have used for many years and much more intuitive to use than some other 2D or 3D  CAD software.

PPD also have a good reputation for individual/short run etch production.

Purely a personal view, but unless you can get a very good finish 3D print I would go the etched route.

Jol

PPD also have a good reputation for individual/short run etch production.

I now use PPD for all my etching, artwork produced on AutoCAD.  I used to use PEC, but they were very slow, will only do A3 sheets (it takes a h**l of a lot of 2MM scale item to fill an A3 sheet!!), they need it on a black background (i.e. etched through = black, unetched =white) and seem to split the artwork into numerous layers, resulting in a lot of corrections being needed.

PPD, on the other hand will do 300mm wide with 150mm minimum length and work with a white background which is what I prefer to work with.  Their turn round time is also much quicker.

Jim

I now use PPD for all my etching, artwork produced on AutoCAD.  I used to use PEC, but they were very slow, will only do A3 sheets (it takes a h**l of a lot of 2MM scale item to fill an A3 sheet!!), they need it on a black background (i.e. etched through = black, unetched =white) and seem to split the artwork into numerous layers, resulting in a lot of corrections being needed.

PPD, on the other hand will do 300mm wide with 150mm minimum length and work with a white background which is what I prefer to work with.  Their turn round time is also much quicker.

Jim

"Unfortunately" PEC,  together Grainge and Hodder, have become the main supplier to the model railway kit producers. Their lead times have consequently become much longer than some years ago, which is rather annoying. They will, or at least did, etch "half sheets" but I don't know if that saves much.

PPD's artwork specs.seem to follow the approach used for electronic circuit board design. I prefer PEC's, etc, artwork approach where white doesn't etch and black does (which was also the case for hand drawn artwork), but is just what you get used to.