Woodland Scenics Just Plug system advice

young37215

• RMweb Gold

I want to install working platform lights on my model of Crianlarich. So far the only lights that look like those found at Crianlarich in the 1980's are Bachmann's platform lamps No 44-542 which are dummy's. I have had a good look around but cannot find anything with working lamps that looks similar; can anyone make any recommendation? 

Thanks

Rob

post-1767-0-76679300-1504789860_thumb.jp

Edited by young37215

• RMweb Gold

The closest working light that I have found to date, Woodland Scenics JP 5676 but it is expensive and requires additional WS kit to operate. Still searching for a better option...

post-24755-0-61765000-1544346426.png

Edited by young37215

• RMweb Gold

The best option I could find to replicate the 1980's platform lights at Crianlarich were the Woodland Scenics as pictured above which I have duly ordered. I have had a read about WS Plug & Play and watched a couple of their Youtube videos which seems simple enough but rather expensive. I wonder if I can use an alternative power supply but there is limited content on RMWeb about Plug & Play that I can find and my electrical competence is low hence my questions.  

I have not yet received the lights but from WS Plug & Play videos I have determined that they will require a voltage of 16V and just a few MA of power which I think I could provide from an old H&M Duette. This would save me the £45 that WS's Power Supply, Light Hub and Linker Plugs would cost.

Can anyone advise if my approach is viable?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm no expert, but after a quick squint at the video, I guess you could feed the Light Hub from your Duette's 16v AC output, so saving on the Power Supply at least.  And equally you could probably snip the plugs off the lights and do without the Light Hub, though if you wanted more than one lamp standard I'd be guessing how they'd be wired together ……. 

Cheers

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I'm no expert, but after a quick squint at the video, I guess you could feed the Light Hub from your Duette's 16v AC output, so saving on the Power Supply at least.  And equally you could probably snip the plugs off the lights and do without the Light Hub, though if you wanted more than one lamp standard I'd be guessing how they'd be wired together ……. 

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for the response, I am minded to simply check the ampage of the 16V output of the Duette and, assuming it delivers around what the lights require, simply attach the lights direct to the Duette to see what happens. That said, having considered this over the last week or two and because I require other lighting at Crianlarich for the tearoom, signal box and yard lights, the Just Play system is looking like the safest option. 

Thanks for the response, I am minded to simply check the ampage of the 16V output of the Duette and, assuming it delivers around what the lights require, simply attach the lights direct to the Duette to see what happens. That said, having considered this over the last week or two and because I require other lighting at Crianlarich for the tearoom, signal box and yard lights, the Just Play system is looking like the safest option.

The amperage of the circuit will depend on the current draw of what is wired to the power supply, I.e, a single LED with suitable resistor will draw say 10mA. For any given power supply there is a maximum output, I do not know what that maximum is for your Duette but there should be a plate on it that should give you that information. It is not a good idea to operate your power supply at maximum over a protracted time and it is advisable to leave a little head room. If you can find out what the current draw of your lamps is then if they are wired in parallel all you need to do is add their values up to find out the the total current draw. As examples normal LEDs depending on colour will draw between 10-30mA whilst grain of wheat bulbs I believe draw about 80mA, low current LEDs can be as low as 2mA.

Richard