Which J94 closest to WD WW2?

ben_m

I'm about to put in an expression of interest on Dave's site for the n gauge J94. I'll be repainting as a War Department engine from late in WW2- maybe a grey one or green.

I'd like to know which of the options Dave offers would be closest to the WD spec; ideally I'd just like to repaint, rather than have to modify the model as well.

Its a pity that there isn't a WD option on these, and that Farish haven't done a typical WD scheme for their WD 2-8-0 or upcoming 8F.

Going into pedant mode, if you want a WD engine from late WW2, it won't be a J94, it will be an Austerity 0-6-0ST :nono: . Technically, J94s were those bought by the LNER from the WD.

(hat, coat, gone! ) Well - somebody had to say it :senile:

If there is an LNER version without the extended bunker then that would probably be the best option.

Most of the NCB and industrial ones were altered with different chimneys, smokebox doors, ladders, steps, etc.

Jason

• Like 1

If there is an LNER version without the extended bunker then that would probably be the best option.

Most of the NCB and industrial ones were altered with different chimneys, smokebox doors, ladders, steps, etc.

Jason

Unfortunately Dave's new list doesn't mention bunker heights, and has dropped the LNER versions completely.

The current options are:

NCB No.7 in Littleton Colliery, lined blue livery

MSC Grey No. 85

LMR Blue No. 196 Errol Lonsdale

3806 Wilbert, Rev. W. Awdry O.B.E.

3889 NCB No. 65

NCB 69 No. 2 Area Lined Black

NCB 1763 Peckfield Colliery, lined maroon with chevrons

NCB Bickershaw Colliery Hurricane lined green

BR Black (early crest) No. 68061

BR Black (late crest) No. 68049

The ones he was going to offer as per announcement in September 2013 (and current pre-order at Hattons) was:

68023 BR Early Crest Black with tall coal bunker

68061 ‘British Railways’ original bunker height

8064 LNER with original bunker height

8023 LNER with original bunker height

68068 ‘British Railways’ with tall bunker weathered

I've gone for 'BR Black (early crest) No. 68061', and I hope that it will look like the OO version of 68061 with 'British Railways' on the tank, i.e. no red coupling rods and short bunker.

Check the pics of the OO gauge ones but I think NCB No.69 will have a normal chimney- all NCB locos on the list are low bunker.

The MSC locos were bought direct from the WD and I don't think they were modified.

Hurricane is a normal chimney but a modified smokebox door.

The Weathered NCB Peckfield is deinitely one with a Kylpoor chimney (upturned flowerpot) as is the yellow peril, NCB No.65.

Of the two BR locos 68061 never had a high bunker, and 68049 was fitted in March 1950. Either of these could have a third set of footsteps that would need cutting off. Both might have a smokebox numberplate moulded onto the smokebox door.

Safest bet is probably MSC Grey number 85, though Errol Lonsdale is a possibility. I can't remember off the top of my head how its nameplates were mounted..

Hope this helps.

Les

Edited by Les1952

Thanks Les, good to know 68061 never had a tall bunker. I've got to modify a couple of other smokebox doors to remove BR numberplates, so I'll guess I'll add this to the list.

The steps shouldn't be a problem to clip off it a third set are present.

I'm avoiding MRC number 85 and Errol Lonsdale, as I want to avoid repainting the coupling rods, and definately the wheels!

• RMweb Gold

Going into pedant mode, if you want a WD engine from late WW2, it won't be a J94, it will be an Austerity 0-6-0ST :nono: . Technically, J94s were those bought by the LNER from the WD.

(hat, coat, gone! ) Well - somebody had to say it :senile:

Oh, at last! Someone else who doesn't call them all by J94! Well done sir!

Welcome to the lofty perch of pedantry!

• Like 1

Check the pics of the OO gauge ones but I think NCB No.69 will have a normal chimney- all NCB locos on the list are low bunker.

The MSC locos were bought direct from the WD and I don't think they were modified.

Hurricane is a normal chimney but a modified smokebox door.

The Weathered NCB Peckfield is deinitely one with a Kylpoor chimney (upturned flowerpot) as is the yellow peril, NCB No.65.

Of the two BR locos 68061 never had a high bunker, and 68049 was fitted in March 1950. Either of these could have a third set of footsteps that would need cutting off. Both might have a smokebox numberplate moulded onto the smokebox door.

Safest bet is probably MSC Grey number 85, though Errol Lonsdale is a possibility. I can't remember off the top of my head how its nameplates were mounted..

Hope this helps.

Les

Les,

Do you have any pictures of the BR engines, please? I've put in a bid for 68049. I've got pictures of 68023, 68050 and 68051 - all with 3 sets of footsteps and 68023 and 68050 have tall bunkers.

I was hoping for a variant with the Lambton cab - maybe later?

Regards,

Roy

Les,

Do you have any pictures of the BR engines, please? I've put in a bid for 68049. I've got pictures of 68023, 68050 and 68051 - all with 3 sets of footsteps and 68023 and 68050 have tall bunkers.

I was hoping for a variant with the Lambton cab - maybe later?

Regards,

Roy

I was just too young to get my own pics of the BR engines apart from a distant and grainy shot of the last six lined up at Darlington shed waiting to be haued off for scrap.

Darlington had at various times 68023 (high/3 steps), 68047 (high, 3 steps), 68051 (high, 3 steps), 68043 (low/2 steps), 68040 (low), 68025 high/3 steps), 68011 (high) and 68050 (high/3 steps).  there were plenty of others. 

There are quite a few decent pics in the Yeadon book, and the RCTS Green Guide has the definitive list of which locos had which bunkers.

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/archive/search.htm?company=&subtype=0&class=&location=&srch=&page=119 gives a lot of pics of BR ones.

It also states which ones had oval buffers for the Cromford and High Peak. That still didn't stop me dropping a clanger with an original Dapol J94 which was 68034 with a Cromford cab and bunker. I relettered it with the number on the tank side and a late crest, only to find a picture of it on the Darlington scrap line with early crest and the number on the bunker.

RT Models do a detailing kit for the Farish J94 in N. They also do a Lambton Cab kit in OO for it - which is a little s@@ to bend but looks brilliant once done. I don't know it they also do the cab in N.

post-13358-0-10658000-1544570718_thumb.jpgpost-13358-0-20889000-1544571036_thumb.jpg

Note that the preserved Lambton cab loco had the bunker rebuilt back to standard by the Strathspey Railway and when the round cab was restored the modifications to the bunker weren't, meaning it wouldn't fit through the tunnel to Lambton Staithes in its present condition...

Les

Edited by Les1952

Oh, at last! Someone else who doesn't call them all by J94! Well done sir!

Welcome to the lofty perch of pedantry!

I used to call them all J94s until I got castigated (is that the right word?) for so doing at Foxfield one day.

https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/archive/search.htm?company=&subtype=0&class=&location=&srch=&page=119 gives a lot of pics of BR ones.

It also states which ones had oval buffers for the Cromford and High Peak. That still didn't stop me dropping a clanger with an original Dapol J94 which was 68034 with a Cromford cab and bunker. I relettered it with the number on the tank side and a late crest, only to find a picture of it on the Darlington scrap line with early crest and the number on the bunker.

Just had a quick browse through some of those pics and spotted the pic of 68063 at Bidston in 1954 fitted with oval buffers before any got anywhere near the C&HPR.

Edited by Poor Old Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

I maybe being dense here, but wouldn't the LMR one be a good bet?

Does the LMR one have the extra pipework along the footplate and the nameplate standing off the footplate?  These were standard modifications made by the WD themselves.  

Les

• AY Mod locked this topic