Modellers' World 12 wheel LNWR coaches

Who knows their way around the Modellers' World 12 wheel coaches?

I have a D62 brake third, which I understand was part of the Glasgow section of the 2pm special.

Am I right about this?    What other 12 wheeled coaches dis Modellers' World produce?

Any help appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

If it's a D62, it should have the brake compartment at the right-hand end when viewing from the corridor side. 

The formation was: D63 brake third (opposite handed to D62) / D23 composite / D9 dining carriage (clerestory rather than elliptical roof) / D62 brake third - these four making up the Glasgow portion, followed by the Edinburgh portion: D9 diner / D22 composite / D64 brake third (same handedness as D62 but with four rather than five third class compartments); finally D38 brake composite for Aberdeen. Apart from the diners, not two carriages the same!

My understanding is that the train was marshalled with the corridor running along the west side of the train, presumably so the afternoon / evening sun would not be full on the passengers.

Photos of the train out on the road invariably show it top-and-tailed by WCJS 50ft arc-roofed corridor carriages (subtly different from the LNWR diagrams produced by Ratio - 8'6" wide rather than 8'0" for starters). 

I don't know anything about the kits but presumably they're rarer than hen's teeth but nevertheless more numerous than the prototype carriages! Those folk with the Shap layout would make at least me happy if instead of running a motley collection of 1960s trains they had a historical procession of West Coast expresses down the years...

Ref. D. Jenkinson, LNWR Carriages (2e, Pendragon, 1995).

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Gold

I definitely agree with that sentiment Compound. The 2PM in full fight with a compliment of 8 & 12 wheelers in plum and spilt milk would be a glorious sight.

Still each to his own.

I must get on with my own 12w sleeper build!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple of years ago I was given a job lot of 2mm coach etches, mainly Midland but amongst them was this LNWR diner which I believe is shot down from a Modeller's World kit. I had never come across MW kits let alone any reduced to 2mm. I had no use for it and didn't want it to simply sit in my gloat box so passed it on to John Aldrick who built and painted. The result is a very handsome vehicle indeed.

post-1074-0-32398700-1544434580_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of years ago I was given a job lot of 2mm coach etches, mainly Midland but amongst them was this LNWR diner which I believe is shot down from a Modeller's World kit. I had never come across MW kits let alone any reduced to 2mm. I had no use for it and didn't want it to simply sit in my gloat box so passed it on to John Aldrick who built and painted. The result is a very handsome vehicle indeed.

attachicon.gifDSC_0557.jpg

Jerry

That is the WCJS D9 composite kitchen dining carriage of which there were two in the 2pm consist - which does begin to suggest that there may have been kits for all the vehicles in the train.

Modellers World in Coventry produced, AFAIK, kits for the twelve wheel carriages create a 4mm (and possibly 7mm) model of the 2PM Corridor. Those listed in Stephens post #2 were all made, IIRC.

Although some of the references are a bit confused, the LNWR Society's 4mm carriages list shows all the Diagrams;

http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Modelling/4mmcarriages

Some kits are ascribed to 247 Developments (not surprising given the connections between the 4mm Midlands modelling mafia in the 1970's) but these may have been etches only. I never saw any on the 247 Developments trade stand other than the diner and 12 wheel sleeping saloon.

D9 diner kits turn up more often than any others on ebay, probably because they were bought in greater numbers, as they could be run with a variety of other carriages including 42' WCJS stock. Kits for some these were available from Brian Badger (now under the Stevenson Carriages brand) and form Trevor Charlton's range of etched zinc sides/ends. Allen at Worsley Works has several in his range.

Thanks to everybody.   What it boils down to is that I am unlikely to find second hand kits such that I could build the 2pm.    Who knows?    They may come back into production.

I doubt that they will come back into production as the location/ownership of the etch tools is not clearly known. They have been out of production for many years and as they haven't been done again, even as a small batch, may indicate that the tools are lost or who owns the rights.

Kits do appear on ebay and you could, over several years probably collect what you need provided you were willing to outbid everyone.

You could design/commission your own etched kits. I know of one kit producer that might be willing to get involved in that, but you would need to find someone to undertake the design work. Alternatively one of the 3D designers might be willing to have a go. Some parts, such as cast bogies, etc. are already available.

• 4 months later...

Well, the coach is gone from my hands.    I was approached by a reader who apparently has all the rest of the kits built and painted, and has been searching for just this kit to finish his rake of coaches.    I made a few pounds on the transaction, but seeing as I probably would never collect the rest of the kits, I felt it better to send it to a good home.

I'm still looking for a diner.    That would be cool.  If I could ever finish all the Ratio kits that I have, I'd have a nice rake of coaches.

And if I ever finish all the locos that I have...