• RMweb Gold

My model railway has a lot of blank brick built retaining walls. Travelling around on trains I have noticed that these are often clad in an inordinate amount of ivy.

Does anyone have any top tips as to how to create a OO gauge ivy clad wall. I thought of combing out the fibres from a tightly woven cloth and then applying foliage to the remaining strands but there must be a better way?

• RMweb Premium

My model railway has a lot of blank brick built retaining walls. Travelling around on trains I have noticed that these are often clad in an inordinate amount of ivy.

Does anyone have any top tips as to how to create a OO gauge ivy clad wall. I thought of combing out the fibres from a tightly woven cloth and then applying foliage to the remaining strands but there must be a better way?

Hi,

What I did was used fine, and loose, flock from Woodland Scenics. I applied some Future (acrylic varnish) to the walls where I wanted the flock to stick and then flicked it up against the wall where some of it stuck. You'll need to have something to catch the excess or it goes everywhere.

You may be able to do it with flock and cheap hairspray as the adhesive, but you'll need to mask off the parts you don't want cover. That may be tricky.

Here's a couple of pics from my layout to give you the idea. Whether it looks like what you want is another thing.

HTH

Rob

Edit:The pic in post 2 looks like the real thing, not seen that before. Always something new to learn.

post-7197-0-75787200-1544354157_thumb.jpg   post-7197-0-46264300-1544354186_thumb.jpg

Edited by mezzoman253
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Me Again

I used the technique recommended by Mezzoman253 to create some Ivy. I used Humbrol Mattcoat as the sticking agent and Gaugemaster Dark Green Scatter. Layout is slowly developing but a long way to go. One thing I did use was a small puffer bottle to squirt the scatter onto where I wanted it to go, much less messy than when I just threw it, a least a small degree of control!!  I am not exactly David Bailey but see what you think.....post-28892-0-22879800-1544453973_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Me Again

I used the technique recommended by Mezzoman253 to create some Ivy. I used Humbrol Mattcoat as the sticking agent and Gaugemaster Dark Green Scatter. Layout is slowly developing but a long way to go. One thing I did use was a small puffer bottle to squirt the scatter onto where I wanted it to go, much less messy than when I just threw it, a least a small degree of control!!  I am not exactly David Bailey but see what you think.....attachicon.gifivy 2.jpg

Looks fine to me, but only you can decide if it's right. I like the idea of the puffer bottle too, good thinking.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

The way i have done ivy (or  thats what i'd like it to look like ! ) is to use the long fibers from some string , usually using one fine strand only , then draw the strand through some PVA slightly watered down  , then lightly sprinkle some fine flock on , these individual strands can then be built up on s asy the side of walls , telegraph poles etc  ... bit time consuming but worth the effect 

Pic shows method used on telegraph pole and fence

The way i have done ivy (or  thats what i'd like it to look like ! ) is to use the long fibers from some string , usually using one fine strand only , then draw the strand through some PVA slightly watered down  , then lightly sprinkle some fine flock on , these individual strands can then be built up on  say the side of walls , telegraph poles etc  ... bit time consuming but worth the effect 

post-19557-0-64574500-1545503173_thumb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

. bit time consuming but worth the effect 

The most convincing techniques often are quite time consuming. Very rewarding when you nail it though.

I also like the weathering you've done on the fence & gate. You've got them spot on.

Edited by Pete the Elaner

• 1 year later...
On 09/12/2018 at 06:00, Nick G said:

Ivy

post-7968-0-84916600-1544353212.jpg

Ha anyone used this?  I have purchased a couple of so called 00 gauge Ivy and a) when it arrived here in the GWN it was the wrong colour (way to light and very matt) and b) was about 1' scale diameter.  Years ago I remember an article where dried dyed tea leaves were used.  Has anyone tried this method?

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:20, holywell junction said:

I make my ivy & climbing roses from frozen kids crayons,

which are then grated into fine powder for glueing...

thumbnail_IMG_3175.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3169.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3162.jpg

• Like 2