So this is my second proper venture into 009 modelling, so far I have only ever completed one other 009 layout and that was the smallest working layout I've built to date. Now I'm doubling the dimensions of the layout to allow a larger radius of track for 'bigger' stock so I should be able to run my roco Hoe diesel and a short set of skips. So my progress so far is just a loop of 009 peco Flexi track which I've bent to a radius of 6 inches which is still fairly tight. Some fishplates and a small piece of copper clad PCB board later and I've managed to get the track to be fairly robust. Here are some pictures:post-32204-0-10915100-1544465083_thumb.jpg And for fun, here's a picture of the other 009 layout inside of this one for a comparison:post-32204-0-33073200-1544465132_thumb.jpg Next up is to source a baseboard (just over 1ft square) and then I can begin the scenery. I've given the track a thorough bedding in by running in the roco diesel and all seems good. The setting for the layout will be a small quarry set in the centre of the loop. There will be a small hill there which is being dug out by some sort of digger. Plenty of dirty grimy atmosphere of the 70s is the target for the layout. I've got some das clay to have a play around with too which could make for some interesting experiments as well as having a go at creating some overgrown track and long fibre static grass. Hope this project sounds interesting and I'll try to update it when I can but currently distillery yard is my priority as I still seem to have a lot to do before it's exhibition in February! Thanks for looking. :)

Edited by luke the train spotter
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Right I've got some plans for the layout now. Reckon that it's going to be on a 12 or 13 inch square board which I will build tomorrow. The board will be clad with 4mm ply like on distillery yard. I have sorted out the track as well and tested it with my roco diesel loco. Theyout is definitely set on a small quarry face set somewhere in the UK with a rural kind of theme. Pictures to follow shortly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Right turn around for the setting of the layout. With the baseboard built ages ago the project lost momentum so now it's back with a new setting of a gravel works set in some sort of industrial/decaying urban setting. So far I've just divided the layout into 4 areas including the non scenic fiddle yard. Here is a picture of the building foundations which have been layed and made out of mountboard.IMG_20190203_165742967.jpg.e67e3480633670f7d437e14e6e48d988.jpg Nothing special and I'm thinking that this will probably be a quick project once I get the buildings sorted. Now to work out how to change the title on this thread....

• Like 3

Please ignore my posts above as they aren’t really relevant to the current project. So far this layout has already had 2 changes in identity with no progress, now i hope to change that with this idea. I have been tempted by the possibilities of 009 for quite some time now and very nearly started a box file layout of one but I remembered that i had a fully wired up and ready to go 009 baseboard so i might as well use that. Now the plan is to model a RNAD (Royal Naval Ammuniton Depot) as a roundy roundy layout. Here are a couple prototype pictures that reallly inspired me.CCAB4DEE-4DFF-44ED-BD43-868F2A232826.jpeg.4bf84a8f4d3080c566a87a28601dcf6d.jpegC2066235-56D4-4646-A218-D71D67459BA0.jpeg.3ad7ba7daf1bb8815a912ec57c75e9ba.jpegI believe that both of those photos were taken at Dean Hill. This is a rarely modelled prototype so I hope i can model it well. I’m thinking of setting it in the 1970s/80s and keeping it simple with 1 or 2 trains made up. I’ll use the baseboard built in the post above and make half the layout scenic, the other half fiddle yard with 2 magazine entrances as the entrances to the fiddle yard. I enjoy modelling unusual prototypes a lot and it looks like most of the rolling stock will have to be scratch built as narrow planets loco kit which would be appropriate for the layout is unfortunately out of stock. 

I’m not building this as an alternative to Thurwick but am waiting for supplies for it before I can progress any further which could take some time. I’m thinking that this will be a relatively quick project as there aren’t many buildings that need to be made and the rest is basic scenery. I hope that this project sounds of interest to you maybe and if all goes well I’ll have some progress to share soon.:)

• Like 9

14 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

Please ignore my posts above as they aren’t really relevant to the current project. So far this layout has already had 2 changes in identity with no progress, now i hope to change that with this idea. I have been tempted by the possibilities of 009 for quite some time now and very nearly started a box file layout of one but I remembered that i had a fully wired up and ready to go 009 baseboard so i might as well use that. Now the plan is to model a RNAD (Royal Naval Ammuniton Depot) as a roundy roundy layout. Here are a couple prototype pictures that reallly inspired me.CCAB4DEE-4DFF-44ED-BD43-868F2A232826.jpeg.4bf84a8f4d3080c566a87a28601dcf6d.jpegC2066235-56D4-4646-A218-D71D67459BA0.jpeg.3ad7ba7daf1bb8815a912ec57c75e9ba.jpegI believe that both of those photos were taken at Dean Hill. This is a rarely modelled prototype so I hope i can model it well. I’m thinking of setting it in the 1970s/80s and keeping it simple with 1 or 2 trains made up. I’ll use the baseboard built in the post above and make half the layout scenic, the other half fiddle yard with 2 magazine entrances as the entrances to the fiddle yard. I enjoy modelling unusual prototypes a lot and it looks like most of the rolling stock will have to be scratch built as narrow planets loco kit which would be appropriate for the layout is unfortunately out of stock. 

I’m not building this as an alternative to Thurwick but am waiting for supplies for it before I can progress any further which could take some time. I’m thinking that this will be a relatively quick project as there aren’t many buildings that need to be made and the rest is basic scenery. I hope that this project sounds of interest to you maybe and if all goes well I’ll have some progress to share soon.:)

Bachmann's planned Baguley-Drewry 70HP diesels and accompanying stock will suit your project perfectly (if you are patient and can wait). CW Railways https://www.cwrailways.com/009-ng.html make some excellent RNAD wagon bodies that you may find useful. I use the Peco 009 flat wagon chassis as an underframe as it already has the correct couplings fitted.

Edited by happyChappy
Drewry spelt incorrectly

8 hours ago, happyChappy said:

Bachmann's planned Baguley-Drewry 70HP diesels and accompanying stock will suit your project perfectly (if you are patient and can wait). CW Railways https://www.cwrailways.com/009-ng.html make some excellent RNAD wagon bodies that you may find useful. I use the Peco 009 flat wagon chassis as an underframe as it already has the correct couplings fitted.

Thanks. I had a look at the cwrailways website but couldn't work out how to order from it. I'm also finding it difficult to find any scale bombs that would be suitable for the layout. 

20 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

Thanks. I had a look at the cwrailways website but couldn't work out how to order from it. I'm also finding it difficult to find any scale bombs that would be suitable for the layout. 

I recall that you need to e-mail for current pricing and delivery and the body-only RNAD wagons are very reasonably priced.

For scale 'bombs' I've used Pavla WW2 sets https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/products/RAF-WW-2-Weapons-set-part.1-bombs-25lb-250lb-500lb-50lbMC-1000lbMC..html which are good models. Alternatively, the Airfix bomber re-supply kit https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/bomber-re-supply-set-1-72.html has a number of 'bombs' and useful other bits and bobs (including the rapid response bike!!).  These are of course all RAF bombs, (which fits my RAF-based layout) but I'm no expert and they look the part.  Hope this helps. HC

Edited by happyChappy

35 minutes ago, happyChappy said:

I recall that you need to e-mail for current pricing and delivery and the body-only RNAD wagons are very reasonably priced.

For scale 'bombs' I've used Pavla WW2 sets https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/products/RAF-WW-2-Weapons-set-part.1-bombs-25lb-250lb-500lb-50lbMC-1000lbMC..html which are good models. Alternatively, the Airfix bomber re-supply kit https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/bomber-re-supply-set-1-72.html has a number of 'bombs' and useful other bits and bobs.  These are of course all RAF bombs, (which fits my RAF-based layout) but I'm no expert and they look the part.  Hope this helps. HC

Here's my magazine entrance:

P1050250.JPG

• Like 5

Well I've built the second magazine entrance. To add a bit of variety, I've got for a slightly different style. Here's a really poor screenshot of the prototype.Screenshot_20190309-211100.png.a59e48308f4a97cfe8a15c5e814e37bd.png Though it's boarded up, you can see a kind of control box on top of the entrance which must have been an armoured small command centre controlling the flow of rail traffic. And here's my model:IMG_20190309_211121372.jpg.545a2e70bf422f63697def7f598606a0.jpgive used 3mm foam board again. I think it's captured the look alright. Feel that the layout is coming together a bit more now that I've got the magazine entrances that I can pose on the layout. Next up is maybe another structure but this time a low relief kind of building and then onto the scenery. Fake concrete and ballast and what not. Once the magazine entrances are painted, I can begin the landscaping. Payday is next week so I'll be able to order some wagons. As recommended by happy chappy im going to order a couple sets of peck flatbeds. Fingers crossed the couplings can manage these curves!

Edited by luke the train spotter
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

Well I've built the second magazine entrance. To add a bit of variety, I've got for a slightly different style. Here's a really poor screenshot of the prototype.Screenshot_20190309-211100.png.a59e48308f4a97cfe8a15c5e814e37bd.png Though it's boarded up, you can see a kind of control box on top of the entrance which must have been an armoured small command centre controlling the flow of rail traffic. And here's my model:ive used 3mm foam board again. I think it's captured the look alright. Feel that the layout is coming together a bit more now that I've got the magazine entrances that I can pose on the layout. Next up is maybe another structure but this time a low relief kind of building and then onto the scenery. Fake concrete and ballast and what not. Once the magazine entrances are painted, I can begin the landscaping. Payday is next week so I'll be able to order some wagons. As recommended by happy chappy im going to order a couple sets of peck flatbeds. Fingers crossed the couplings can manage these curves!

These storage magazines had to be well ventilated to reduce damp which seriously affects explosives. The 'control box' is probably where the ventilation equipment was housed rather than an armoured command control centre. In most cases the storage sites were mainly staffed with civilian personnel other than at the front gatehouse.

My minimum radius is 9" and the RNAD wagons when mounted on the Peco 009 flatbed chassis has no coupling problems. I found standard Peco 009 couplings on each end of a rake with the Peco close couplers between wagons looks good and works a treat.

Your layout is coming along nicely now - imagination is a wonderful thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, happyChappy said:

These storage magazines had to be well ventilated to reduce damp which seriously affects explosives. The 'control box' is probably where the ventilation equipment was housed rather than an armoured command control centre. In most cases the storage sites were mainly staffed with civilian personnel other than at the front gatehouse.

My minimum radius is 9" and the RNAD wagons when mounted on the Peco 009 flatbed chassis has no coupling problems. I found standard Peco 009 couplings on each end of a rake with the Peco close couplers between wagons looks good and works a treat.

Your layout is coming along nicely now - imagination is a wonderful thing.

Thanks for pointing that out. That makes much more sense as I had wondered why some entrances had the boxes above them and some didn't. I think my minimum radius is 6 inches so we'll have to see if the couplings can cope. If not I'm sure I'd be able to modify them so that they would work. 

So I've been working on the third structure this afternoon. This is a freelance structure not really based off any particular building I just wanted one that would be a corner filler. It's basic 3mm foam board structure as usual then clad in slaters plasticard, brick and corrugated iron. I'll get round to painting it at some point. I'm thinking that I'll probably have a big painting session soon cause I also need to pick up some concrete coloured paint for the magazine entrances. IMG_20190310_211041698.jpg.59877166143c8ca816b0d4df3ae97d9d.jpgOnce I get some basic detailing done on it it will fit more into the layout. 

• Like 3

This project really has the chance to be something quite "different". I pondered building a small layout, after (years ago) camping at a place called "Abbeydore"
It was once on the Golden Valley line - now long gone. But there was a military base there, and they retained some track-work and a small locomotive
I doubt any of that is still there, but I recall passing nearby and seeing some wagons, and what I think was a train used for target practice

Another interesting place which was once an ordnance factory is at Pembrey Country Park, near Llanelli
The bunkers and some of the narrow gauge track is still in-situ. And they have converted the bunkers into various alternative structures; a ski slope, a toboggan ride and a cafe :)
Interesting project this. I really like the tunnel mouth / bunker, and I think it looks even better with the control box sitting on top :)

Looking forward to seeing this one progress Luke :)

• Like 1

Should anyone fancy building something more ambitious, then Ernesettle, west of Plymouth, would make for a nice model. Built alongside the river Tamar, it still has standard gauge sidings (served from the former L&SWR Plymouth- Exeter line), which used to feed a narrow-gauge network that not only supplied bunkers, built into the hillside, but also a jetty for loading ammunition on to lighters in the river. The line to the jetty used to pass under the main line. Alas, the narrow-gauge line has been replaced by road transport.

Marc mentions Pembrey; this was typical of ROF explosives-making facilities, with lots of discrete buildings, surrounded by sand embankments. The buildings all had relatively thin roofs, the idea being that workplace accidents were more likely to cause explosions than enemy action, and the thin roofs would channel such blasts upwards, rather than towards neighbouring buildings.

• Like 2