Festive Micro Layout - Layout in a Wrapping Paper Box

Beautiful pictures. Very well put together and the deer under the winter sun is just fantastic.

Hi Callum you have produced a stunning little layout. The Hornby Peckett looks great on the layout and I like how you have captured a snowball fight. I will look forward to the build video Callum.;)

I think that it’s a cracking little layout

Bravo that man!

What a great Christmas table decoration! I want one!

Very nice work, the snow treatment is very effective without being over done, superb.

Martyn.

Well done!

Thanks ever so much for the kind words guys! Glad you like the snow effect, so pleased with how it all turned out. The little snow fight scene was a nice little cameo to set up.

Should have the video up by next week.:)

• Like 1

So as you might of seen yesterday, Hornby asked to use my video of the construction of the layout for thier Advent Calender! I hope it was of interest.

For those who are yet to see it, here's that said video...

As part of the run-up to the festive period, I show you how to build your very own Festive Micro Layout, inside a Wrapping Paper Storage Box!

At just 730mm x 210mm little layouts like this are perfect for those who is wishes to build a layout, but lack space for a more conventional set-up. Fitting into a Wrapping Paper Storage means it's perfect for storing is tight spaces, such as on a shelf or under a bed.

I’d like to say a massive thank you to Hornby for this wonderful opportunity, and providing materials to create this special little layout for you guys, and I'd l like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from me and of course all the Team at Hornby.

Merry Christmas!

Callum / SDJR7F88

All the Staff at Hornby Hobbies

• Like 9

Nice one Callum. Merry Christmas.

Dave

A well-deserved accolade.

Callum a wonderful layout and a great video on your layout build. Merry Christmas.

Thanks ever so much guys! Can't believe how wellbthe video has been excepted. Very pleased with how it has all turned out.

Hot me thinking about my next project :P

Great use of a small board to create a great scene.

I was out in the country yesterday, and saw this.

Very nice! Did you do that pic?

• 1 month later...

Well, the Festive Period maybe long over and done with, but there's been more progress made to the newly named "Winters End" layout :)

I've finally got around to adding a BLOCKsignalling SS2A DC Shuttle with Speed Controller to the layout. It really does work a treat and was very simple to fit (it also marked my first attempt with the soldiering iron)! A full video of how it was insulted and it operates is on the way. 

In other news, the layout will also be making it's first Exhibition outing next weekend at the Compton Dundon - Model Railway Exhibition - Somerset, Saturday 2nd March 2019! So be sure to pop along and say hi :)

IMG_20190130_142702.jpg

IMG_20190130_151950.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

As promised here's the full video and installation guide! 

A tutorial on how to install the BLOCKsignalling - SS2A DC Shuttle System with Speed Controller to your Model Railway.
A Shuttle is a automated system, that automatically changes the direct of travel of your model trains, when they reach the end of the track, without the need to stop or change the direction on your controller. This system is perfect for Branchlines or end to end layouts. BLOCKsignalling make adding a Shuttle to your layout quick and simple, with there range of Simple Shuttles, with minimal wires and soldiering, perfect for a beginner.
In this video, we will be fitting a BLOCKsignalling - SS2A DC Shuttle System with Speed Controller, to my 00 Gauge Wrapping Paper Box Micro Layout, "Winters End". The unit features it's own built in Speed Controller, meaning no extra Track Controller or Wires are needed.
Hope you enjoy!
https://youtu.be/soqKiAwlxVw

BLOCKsignalling-Shuttle-Sys.gif

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 3

A quick update regarding the first outing of my Hornby 00 Gauge Wrapping Paper Box Micro Layout - "Winters End" at the Compton Dundon Model Railway Exhibition, Somerset this coming weekend. 
Held in the Meadway Hall, Compton Dundon this coming Saturday (Saturday 2nd March 2019), the show will feature over 12 superb layout, in various scales and sizes, as well as trade and catering.

See you there!

https://youtu.be/Cak6HSSkdFo

2019-02-28_10-52-54.jpg

• Like 1

On 23/02/2019 at 09:18, SDJR7F88 said:

As promised here's the full video and installation guide! 

A tutorial on how to install the BLOCKsignalling - SS2A DC Shuttle System with Speed Controller to your Model Railway.
A Shuttle is a automated system, that automatically changes the direct of travel of your model trains, when they reach the end of the track, without the need to stop or change the direction on your controller. This system is perfect for Branchlines or end to end layouts. BLOCKsignalling make adding a Shuttle to your layout quick and simple, with there range of Simple Shuttles, with minimal wires and soldiering, perfect for a beginner.
In this video, we will be fitting a BLOCKsignalling - SS2A DC Shuttle System with Speed Controller, to my 00 Gauge Wrapping Paper Box Micro Layout, "Winters End". The unit features it's own built in Speed Controller, meaning no extra Track Controller or Wires are needed.
Hope you enjoy!

Thanks for posting this Callum. I had already seen Laurie Calvert using a similar unit and think this might work for a couple of display layouts I am working on, one finished and one on the way.

Marlyn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Saturday 2nd March 2019, saw the Glastonbury & Street Lions host their annual Model Railway Exhibition, at Compton Dundon. This years line-up featured no less than 16 layouts in a variety of gauges and scales, including the first outing for my 00 Gauge Hornby Wrapping Paper Box Micro Layout, "Winters End". On hand was also as good selection of Trade Stands and Demo Stands.
Hope you enjoy!
https://youtu.be/_33C2kXVUvk

2019-03-03_18-50-40.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88

On 02/03/2019 at 15:56, Marly51 said:

Thanks for posting this Callum. I had already seen Laurie Calvert using a similar unit and think this might work for a couple of display layouts I am working on, one finished and one on the way.

Marlyn

They really are superb little units! Got lots a new ideas thanks to it! Think I'm going to need some more space ;) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A quick video taking a look at a few Articles in both the Spring 2019 Edition of the Hornby Collectors  Magazine and the May Edition of Railway Modeller.
In the latest issue of the Hornby Collector's Magazine, there's a write-up about my Hornby Christmas Micro Layout, "Winters End", which fits inside a Wrapping Paper Storage Box. This was my first writing article about the build, and I'm over the moon to see it in print!
While the latest issue of the Railway Modeller features a full write-up by fellow Great Model Railway Challenge team mate, Adi, showing how he created our massive 00 Gauge Cooling Tower on our Great Model Railway Challenge 'Grand Final' Layout, "Melton Down".

Hope you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Dgkid0WeDsc

2019-04-22_17-59-15.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1