Festive Micro Layout - Layout in a Wrapping Paper Box

1 hour ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Callum I still like to watch this video of your wrapping paper box build. Can I ask what the baseboard dimensions are as I would like to build something in a wrapping paper box.

Many thanks indeed! Really is a fun little project. Surprising what can be achieved in a small space.

If your after a baseboard, Scalemodelscenery have just released a set of laser-cut baseboard design for thise very project! I've got a set, just need to find the time to build my next project. Hope it's of help!

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/bb018-micro-layout-baseboard-in-a-box-2-730-x-95-x-207mm-8706-p.asp

• Like 1

Doors are open at the Wincanton Model Railway Exhibition 2019!
We got a display of 4 micros! Including "Winters End" and our Warley Open Day Build.
Pop in today 10:00 to 17:00 or tomorrow (Sunday) 10:00 to 16:00
Hope to see you there! :)

IMG_20191109_100837-01.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Bo-Bo said:

Callum that is a really nice display stand you have there, have a great time.

Really is quite the collection! Was a good one today, layout ran well. Back again tomorrow with some ROD running for rememberance :)

• Like 1

On 07/11/2019 at 14:26, SDJR7F88 said:

Many thanks indeed! Really is a fun little project. Surprising what can be achieved in a small space.

If your after a baseboard, Scalemodelscenery have just released a set of laser-cut baseboard design for thise very project! I've got a set, just need to find the time to build my next project. Hope it's of help!

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/bb018-micro-layout-baseboard-in-a-box-2-730-x-95-x-207mm-8706-p.asp

Already built using two of their board kits, see Kidmore Boxed 2 and Kidmore Valley Railroad, this Forum.  I can totally recommend them BUT, as per their advice, do a dry run first before reaching for the PVA !

• Like 2

9th & 10th November 2019 saw the third Annual Wincanton Model Railway Exhibition held at King Arthur School, Wincanton, Somerset.
This years show featured no less than 28 layout in a wide variety of Scale and Size, including my Hornby Wrapping Paper Box Micro Layout "Winters End", as well as number of other micro layout, provided by myself and 82A Studios. On had was also a great selection of trade & societies. 
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread has given me so much inspiration, last year we had the Hornby santa express around the Christmas tree but with no scenery it looked a little boring. This year I've been looking to do a layout but I'm restricted on space, this idea solves both problems as I can have a micro santa wonderland shuttle. Thanks for the ideas. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, DarthPaul said:

This thread has given me so much inspiration, last year we had the Hornby santa express around the Christmas tree but with no scenery it looked a little boring. This year I've been looking to do a layout but I'm restricted on space, this idea solves both problems as I can have a micro santa wonderland shuttle. Thanks for the ideas. 

Thanks ever so much Paul! Glad the layout was of inspiration! Hope to get around to doing more of these at some point. Funny thing I was asked to do another this year, but had to turn it down as I'm about to start a new job :)

• Like 1

Amazing Idea on the layout and am going to look at something similar... Just out of interest, what textured paint did you use for the platform and road? I've found some 25mm polystyrene that's a better height for platform, but at the end of the day, your looks great :-) 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, tayloss said:

Amazing Idea on the layout and am going to look at something similar... Just out of interest, what textured paint did you use for the platform and road? I've found some 25mm polystyrene that's a better height for platform, but at the end of the day, your looks great :-) 

Many thanks! The textured paint is from GreenScenes, concrete from what I remember. 

Oh yes, mine are just a tad to take, as i was short of time while building ;)

Let me know how you get on!

• Like 1

9th & 10th November 2019 saw the third Annual Wincanton Model Railway Exhibition held at King Arthur School, Wincanton, Somerset, with me and 82A Studios displaying a selection of Micro Layout over the course of the weekend.
So what is it like to display a micro layout at a Model Railway Exhibition? In this video I take you on a trip behind the scenes too is what it's like to display a Layout at a Model Railway Exhibition. We take a closer look our selection of Micro Layout, built by myself and 82A Studios, showing set-up, and take-down at the end of the weekend. 
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Bo-Bo said:

Another great video Callum, I am a fan of micro layouts as they have so much potential and the best thing is they are easily packed away safely into boxes and dust free.;)

Oh yes! That's what I love about them too! Plus you can build lots of them and the only take up a small amount of space ;) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jbmccarthy said:

The layout that had the gravel shoot. What size is that? What size useful box is that on? And is the board from scale model scenery? Sorry if you said in the video, but my sound card died today! 

No worries, I put a link to the baseboards in the description. The smaller ones fit in a ReallyUseful Storage 22L Wrapping Paper Box, while I think the larger board fits in a 72L Christmas Tree Box

Here's a link to the kits on Scalemodelscenery :)

Scalemodelscenery Baseboards;
https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/layout-in-a-box---micro-layout-baseboards-310-c.asp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The micro "bug" has very firmly bitten me, so the video was great to watch for (even) more ideas.

The colliery loader layout is of particular interest as one of my plans has a near identical track-plan, but is based on a real location. Is there a layout thread anywhere for it? Looking very closely at the video I'm wondering if it uses Set Track, or whether the camera angle makes the points look sharp and the track spacing wide compared to the Streamline I'm used to. The video shows that it runs well, so if that is Set Track, it opens up even more possibilities for limited space industrial settings. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HillsideDepot said:

The micro "bug" has very firmly bitten me, so the video was great to watch for (even) more ideas.

The colliery loader layout is of particular interest as one of my plans has a near identical track-plan, but is based on a real location. Is there a layout thread anywhere for it? Looking very closely at the video I'm wondering if it uses Set Track, or whether the camera angle makes the points look sharp and the track spacing wide compared to the Streamline I'm used to. The video shows that it runs well, so if that is Set Track, it opens up even more possibilities for limited space industrial settings. 

I would also love to see a thread for that layout. Hope there is one.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HillsideDepot said:

3 hours ago, jbmccarthy said:

I would also love to see a thread for that layout. Hope there is one.

Glad you like Adam's Colliery layout! 

I'll get on to him about starting a topic on it. I'm sure I'll be doing some more filming of it at some point.

I can confirm it is Peco set track, which is perfect for these sort of builds. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1