WTT Timing Load D1 D2 D3 etc

Banger Blue

• RMweb Premium

I think similar may have been asked before but couldn’t find anything specific.

I know the timing loads shown on the WTT refer to the trailing load when it’s Loco hauled stock i.e. D595 but when it’s in relation to multiple units what do D1, D2, D3, etc mean?

Is it the number of powered vehicles in a formation or the number of sets in a formation? (Or something else?)

Example below:

post-6818-0-95961600-1544475691_thumb.jpeg

TIA

• RMweb Premium

The earliest reference I have found is in the BR LMR Section D WTT, 18 April 1966 to 5 March 1967 where is states:

D1/D2/D3/D4 Diesel Multiple Unit Trains - for formation, see Sectional Appendix.

Edited by tanatvalley

• RMweb Premium

The WTTs I have, both LMR & WR, have the following explanation of references:

D1-4 Indicates formation - see Sectional Appendix.

D5 Diesel Multiple Unit - Inter-City

I presume the information may differ from area to area but that excerpt that Eddie posted explains the principle behind the codes, which is what I was mainly after.

if anybody has got the relevant Sectional Appendix(s) it would be interesting to compare the two! I suspect D1-4 probably wouldn’t differ too much Region - Region.

I suspect that the coding was consistent across the regions. I recall a page like this in a LMR document that I scrounged from someone at my local train crew depot, but said document is filed somewhere in a safe place....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The BR LMR Southern Section Sectional Appendix to Working Timetable and books of Rules and Regulations, June 1969, page 292 contains the same information as EddieK posted as does the April 1991 version, Section C General Instructions, pages C10 and 11.

The BR WR Cardiff Division Sectional Appendix, April 1969, which includes the lines south of Craven Arms, does not give this detail but refers to the BR WR General Appendix, pages 39-43, "Working of Multiple Unit Mechanical Diesel Trains".