Farish 2019 Announcements - ended up as speculation froth.

Crepello

• RMweb Gold

How about something left of field, the prototype DELTIC with its limited real use and the 4-CEP were both bold in N when they came out. So how about D0280 Falcon, a popular locomotive several livery variants, adaption of existing Class 31 chassis possible. 

Or perhaps a minor retool of the Class 42 Warship into a Class 43, alternatively, back date the Class 42 to as built or introduce some more livery variants. Likewise, livery variants for the Peaks, maybe go for split headcodes too? There are more livery variations among Classes 47 & 37 than you could poke a stick, at but which ones would sell?

A Class 24/1 would do well to compliment Dapol's Classes 26 & 27, again a few livery variants and detail differences to attract additional sales with little extra costs for the tooling from the Class 24.

DMU wise a Cravens unit with its wider use around the regions would work as well as the ever popular Western Region modellers requests for a 117, again the latter compliment the Dapol 121 & 122 and the proposed Revolution 128, personally I would like a Class 123.

As ever personal tastes bias...

Have a good New year everyone.

Kevin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In terms of what I would like to see/hear announced is an N gauge class 416 EPB emu (shrunk down from their OO/4mm version). It's a little doubtful as I understand a DEMU Thumper in N is more likely.

G

I’d be more than happy with a Thumper, personally! I suspect a 117 is more likely though, having been near the top of the wishlists for a good few years and with Bachmann also having the OO version under work.

I’d agree with others who want to see shorter gestation periods. We’re not quite in Dapol 142 territory with outstanding Farish items, and at Warley the Bachmann rep I spoke with was hopeful this year will see improvements in this regard.

Tom.

i predict very few new releases in N.

Got to say I agree with this, if you look at the 2018 announcements they announced 6 new models -

1 was a steam engine with a new tender to fit sound (N Mogul)

1 was a diesel chassis upgrade (31)

1 was a new variant of an existing diesel (47 with long range tanks)

1 was an adaption of an existing model (Blue Pullman to Western Region style)

1 was changing the type (350 to 450)

Only 1 was totally Brand New if you like - the 158.

So chances are we won't see much new, most will be upgrades I reckon with one or possibly 2 new models. Hopefully some new rolling stock will be announced

It has. By Peco (and also Union Mills).

Yes, I am aware of these but...

The Peco model is out of production so no threat from there.

The UM model is not to the same standard a Farish model would be. Not knocking UM, I am a fan! Their pulling power and reliability is fantastic. But things like a DCC socket and alternative tenders are simply not available.

Got to say I agree with this, if you look at the 2018 announcements they announced 6 new models -

1 was a steam engine with a new tender to fit sound (N Mogul)

1 was a diesel chassis upgrade (31)

1 was a new variant of an existing diesel (47 with long range tanks)

1 was an adaption of an existing model (Blue Pullman to Western Region style)

1 was changing the type (350 to 450)

Only 1 was totally Brand New if you like - the 158.

Pretty certain the 31 is a full new model, i.e. chassis upgrade as you say and new body to represent the refurbed body.

Steve

• Like 1

Yes, I am aware of these but...

The Peco model is out of production so no threat from there.

The UM model is not to the same standard a Farish model would be. Not knocking UM, I am a fan! Their pulling power and reliability is fantastic. But things like a DCC socket and alternative tenders are simply not available.

The snag there is that the two RTR models (and I believe also a kit version) will have already partially satisfied the market for a new/another version. And I'd have thought that with one version currently still available and the other still around in the second-hand market would make producing another version a big ask.

There's already a number of new GWR locos currently being developed/produced in N (DJM Mogul and King and SMs 56xx) which will also be competing for that era/regions enthusiasts cash. Consequently Farish would have to be very sure that there was sufficient demand to make it worth their while and that is probably a little doubtful ATM especially in the current economic environment, market conditions and Bachmann's factory/production issues. Plus I understand that converting the UM version to DCC is not exactly difficult. And, of course, with some modelling their fidelity can be improved.

G.

The snag there is that the two RTR models (and I believe also a kit version) will have already partially satisfied the market for a new/another version. And I'd have thought that with one version currently still available and the other still around in the second-hand market would make producing another version a big ask.

There's already a number of new GWR locos currently being developed/produced in N (DJM Mogul and King and SMs 56xx) which will also be competing for that era/regions enthusiasts cash. Consequently Farish would have to be very sure that there was sufficient demand to make it worth their while and that is probably a little doubtful ATM especially in the current economic environment, market conditions and Bachmann's factory/production issues. Plus I understand that converting the UM version to DCC is not exactly difficult. And, of course, with some modelling their fidelity can be improved.

G.

Whilst I agree that UM models can scrub up well (working on 700 at the moment) I doubt that would take away from the Farish sales. I regularly see used UM locos selling on eBay for more than a new model that's in stock. I think people "new to N" are largely unaware of the company. And people starting a layout or returning to the hobby quite often gravitate towards a small GWR project. A Farish collett that can be found in a local model shop or in an online shop will inevitably outsell the UM model. I don't think N gauge needs another GWR model but it will no doubt happen.

I doubt that would take away from the Farish sales.

The point I was making was not about 'taking away' future sales but reducing sales opportunity. It is highly likely that those who have already purchased a UM or Peco version will have satisfied their demand for that loco and be less likely to purchase another new version from Farish in the future (although a few might). Obviously if there was a third version in the future then people in the market at that time will be able to select from those available and some might choose a Farish version. But inevitably some of the potential market will have already been sated reducing sales opportunity.

The point is that the 'new' sector for that loco will have been reduced (apart from newcomers to the hobby which as everyone seems to agree is in decline) and for Farish it will be a matter of having to mainly compete in the 'replacement' sector which is a lot harder to address. Not a good commercial idea IMO.

If people starting/returning to the hobby gravitate to building a GWR layout (I'm not so sure that is true as GWR BLTs seem to have fallen out of favour) then there are plenty (and will be) of GWR locos that they can choose from. And they will select from what is available at the time of purchase rather than hanker after something not available.

• RMweb Gold

How to puncture a dream...….

Les

I did say "it would be nice to " rather than  "I'm expecting to..."

Grahame May have punctured your dream, Bachmann just rolled it in a ditch & set fire to it: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141095-Bachmann-announce-deferment-of-prestwin-and-j39-update-in-oo-and-j72-and-dp1-ahead-of-2019-announcements/

Tom.

• RMweb Premium

"in particular the N scale J72, for which the cost of overcoming the particular challenges involved in producing such a diminutive locomotive in N scale are prohibitive"

The small size of a locomotive didn't seem to deter Dapol when they produced the Terrier. Could mean some more sales for the Bob Jones J72 though!

David

• Like 1

Oooo, I seem to have been rather prophetic there.

(I did also get a copy of the Bachmann press release but not until after my suggestion)

G.

When I spoke to what I presume was a desingner at the NGS AGM I think two, possibly even three years ago (the one where the sound 101 was being demo'd) he (the designer) said that there were some real technical challenges to overcome given the size of the J72 loco in N which would be much smaller than even their Jinty.

A lot of time has passed since then with no evidence of any progress on the N model shown, even though the 00 one has been seen at a EP stage. I must admit (and I am sure I am not the only one) I was already expecting the announcement that this particular model would be canned at some point. I am sure the issue is not that it can't be done technically and to the required standard, more that the price point it would have to sell at would be too high to be acceptable to the "average" N modeller. I suspect it will now never see the light of day and be quietly forgotten about.

As I sit here typing this, I can't help but glance at one of my 45/46 year old Farish Holden Tanks to reflect on what was technically achievable and viable then.....

So anyway, still no LNER 0-6-0 Tank loco RTR in N, the gap in the Market still exists. I wonder, will Dapol now dust the cobwebs off their design work for the J72? Will either Dapol or Bachmann maybe look at a larger 0-6-0 Tank (J83 or J50 maybe?) or should we be looking to New kids on the Block RevolutioN/Sonic Models to show how it is done?

Roy

Edited by Roy L S

When I spoke to what I presume was a desingner at the NGS AGM I think two, possibly even three years ago (the one where the sound 101 was being demo'd) he (the designer) said that there were some real technical challenges to overcome given the size of the J72 loco in N which would be much smaller than even their Jinty.

A lot of time has passed since then with no evidence of any progress on the N model shown, even though the 00 one has been seen at a EP stage. I must admit (and I am sure I am not the only one) I was already expecting the announcement that this particular model would be canned at some point. I am sure the issue is not that it can't be done technically and to the required standard, more that the price point it would have to sell at would be too high to be acceptable to the "average" N modeller. I suspect it will now never see the light of day and be quietly forgotten about.

As I sit here typing this, I can't help but glance at one of my 45/46 year old Farish Holden Tanks to reflect on what was technically achievable and viable then.....

So anyway, still no LNER 0-6-0 Tank loco RTR in N, the gap in the Market still exists. I wonder, will Dapol now dust the cobwebs off their design work for the J72? Will either Dapol or Bachmann maybe look at a larger 0-6-0 Tank (J83 or J50 maybe?) or should we be looking to New kids on the Block RevolutioN/Sonic Models to show how it is done?

Roy

Given that Dapol pulled their J72 after Farish announced they were shrinking it, I can see there being some disquiet at Chirk.

However with the J72 being pulled, and having more than enough locos and coaches, there are now NO Farish or Bachmann products I either want or need.

My wallet is exceptionally relieved.  I can now actually afford the four NGS Hunslets I have on order.....

Les

• Like 1

I am hoping that the 00 emu luggage van and 2EPB are shrunk and possibly the 2H dmu too.     

Gerry

Hi Gerry

All very worthy projects and no harm in hoping, but I would predict something more "mainstream" potentially even using parts/chassis from a previous model. Maybe expect a few more retools to allow sound in existing models, potentially a "Crab" to reuse the 4F's tender, but I would say don't expect much at all..

Roy

Instead of a rebuilt merchant navy I'd like to see them use the current chassis for an earlier series version. A series 1 or 2 would go nicely with some Dapol maunsell's. Seems odd to have a southern engine (correctly) in every livery but southern.

Edited by Mr chapman

• RMweb Premium

Instead of a rebuilt merchant navy I'd like to see them use the current chassis for an earlier series version. A series 1 or 2 would go nicely with some Dapol maunsell's. Seems odd to have a southern engine (correctly) in every livery but southern.

Hopefully they'll go for both!

• RMweb Gold

They could of course, if they were feeling bullish, go for a rebuilt BoB/WC. Double the number of naming options of the rebuilt MN, 10 still extant and with Dapol's plans for this variant still on hold plenty of time to beat them to it, assuming they are able to overcome their production difficulties. 

Tom.  

• Like 1

I'd be happy if they would do some more 150's in new liveries (Northern, new and old in particular).

Given that these things ran just about everywhere I can't understand why they aren't a priority for re-runs.

Regards,

John P

They could of course, if they were feeling bullish, go for a rebuilt BoB/WC. Double the number of naming options of the rebuilt MN, 10 still extant and with Dapol's plans for this variant still on hold plenty of time to beat them to it, assuming they are able to overcome their production difficulties. 

Tom.  

In their recent announcement that they were reviving the WC project, Dapol did say explicitly that the "rebuilt variant would follow in a later run"