80s/90s TMD design

DomDulley

Hi all,

Comments please on the following design for an 80s/90s TMD in South Devon.

Locos enter the yard and refuel at either side of the two fuel points (FP) before moving onto the headshunt bottom left from where they can either enter the shed or move to the turntable for stabling.

Fuel wagons can be shunted between the discharge siding and the storage siding below it, to which they are delivered.

Does this look fairly prototypical?

Thanks,

Dom

post-10543-0-44650000-1544558510_thumb.png

• Like 1

The turntable implies a legacy GWR shed that has been retained to service diesels.  By the 1980s-1990s most steam era turntables had been removed unless they were somehow necessary either to operate the site efficiently, or because stock needed turning.  Could the turntable be removed?  

There is a facing point on the main line which leads straight into the depot. :stinker:

The turntable implies a legacy GWR shed that has been retained to service diesels.  By the 1980s-1990s most steam era turntables had been removed unless they were somehow necessary either to operate the site efficiently, or because stock needed turning.  Could the turntable be removed?  

There is a facing point on the main line which leads straight into the depot. :stinker:

I've always wanted a turntable - don't know why but I love them - so this one is a legacy from when the imaginary Coombe Ferrers yard serviced steam locos. I figure if it was done at St Blazey it's not too much of a stretch :)

Good point on the facing point. I should mention that this is an existing layout, and this new plan replaces the current yard which was badly planned. I want to avoid too many changes to the main lines and rest of the layout if possible.

There are prototypical examples of facing points leading to yards (moreso after track simplification I understand), but I agree that it would be better if it was trailing.

The town scene is just a bare board so I will look at shifting it to the right-hand corner and perhaps adding a trailing point on the left.

Thanks Tony!

Turntables tend to dominate the space but if you can find a smaller GWR design.

If it is a legacy turntable, how about making it like St Blazey, where the shed can only be accessed via the turntable, giving a more explicit reason for its continued existence?

Also how about reducing the double track main line to single track?  And/or removing the station platforms?  The station can be just along the road a bit, it doesn't have to be on scene.  Both would give you a little more room, particularly considering how much space the turntable is going to take up.

• 2 weeks later...