Which solder

Sweet pea

Need some advice please. With being new to soldering I’m going to be soldering to pieces of wire to my track. I know all about tinning through videos but what solder is best to use. Any advice will be great. :)

I only spotted this at the weekend.

Page 11 of this will give you the reasons as to why certain solders are more suitable than others. (I always like to know why instead of just been given a 'get this one' answer). You might find page 8 also relevant.

• RMweb Premium

I only spotted this at the weekend.

Page 11 of this will give you the reasons as to why certain solders are more suitable than others. (I always like to know why instead of just been given a 'get this one' answer). You might find page 8 also relevant.

This site says that 60:40 solder works well when new (their underline).  I have been using the same reel for over 40 years and it still makes perfect joints.

Edited by dhjgreen
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

This site says that 60:40 solder works well when new (their underline).  I have been using the same reel for over 40 years and it still makes perfect joints.

I suspect it depends on the condition its kept in, if its just chucked in the bottom of a toolbox, then don't expect optimum life!

I suspect it depends on the condition its kept in, if its just chucked in the bottom of a toolbox, then don't expect optimum life!

It doesn't go off. Cleanliness of the iron tip and work pieces and soldering technique is far more critical.

Remember that DCC Concepts are trying to sell you their own solder. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It doesn't go off. Cleanliness of the iron tip and work pieces and soldering technique is far more critical.

Remember that DCC Concepts are trying to sell you their own solder. 

Yes true, but I suspect that Richard has a background in military related hardware, where solder would routinely be disposed of, once it meet a certain age.

Need some advice please. With being new to soldering I’m going to be soldering to pieces of wire to my track. I know all about tinning through videos but what solder is best to use. Any advice will be great. :)

Firstly I would suggest you buy some liquid flux, wire may work well with resin cored solder but I have found its easier to tin the rail and wire first, then join both together

I use some (very) old solder wire for most jobs, lead free seems not to flow as easily as solder with lead in, decent flux is a real aid as is keeping the tip of the soldering iron nice and clean

I have a reel of solder which I cannot remember where I acquired it but it is very badly oxidised and is difficult to solder with mainly I think because the cored flux is insufficient to keep the oxides suspended. I keep meaning to try additional flux to see if it improves soldering but I am still working through another reel first.

Richard

• RMweb Premium

I have a reel of solder which I cannot remember where I acquired it but it is very badly oxidised and is difficult to solder with mainly I think because the cored flux is insufficient to keep the oxides suspended. I keep meaning to try additional flux to see if it improves soldering but I am still working through another reel first.

Richard

Yes, that would be my suspicion. It doesn't last forever. Mind you if might have been faulty in the first place.

Acid cored solder tends to suffer from the flux decaying with time, especially in damp conditions. Rosin cored solder will probably be OK for decades.

If starting out you might as well learn how to use 4% silver lead free solder. It just requires a higher temperature and a therefore a higher powered iron than leaded solder, but is just as easy to do when you know how.

There is a lot of lead free solder offered that does not have any silver in it - you need to avoid it as it is very difficult to use.

If you are soldering anything that is not perfectly clean then using acid cored solder or fluxing with phosphoric acid flux (Bakers Fluid or similar) is recommended - but you must clean the flux off afterwards very thoroughly to avoid corrosion.

I have rosin cored solder from when I started my apprenticeship in the early '60s (I stocked up). Some of it has a terrible appearance (**), but I have NO problems using it. If for instance, you are soldering a wire to a nickel-silver rail, give the rail a quick brush with a fibre brush, and the copper wire should also be clean (stripping the insulation off is usually enough, the wire should be shiny). Cleanliness is ESSENTIAL for a good joint.

(**) The solder has oxidised, which brings up another point. Using solder (ie tinning a surface) for an electrical contact point is a definite NO as the solder will oxidise and therefore give a poor contact. No criticism of the product intended, but the "switches" on SEEP point motors use this design, and in time poor electrical contact ensues. That is why I never use them, and wire in a proper microswitch instead.

Stewart

If starting out you might as well learn how to use 4% silver lead free solder. It just requires a higher temperature and a therefore a higher powered iron than leaded solder, but is just as easy to do when you know how.

At last, I am no longer alone :) I use nothing else for electrical work.

• RMweb Premium

I'd stay away from acid cored solder for any electrical work- it will be impossible to clean the flux off components, stick to a rosin cored one.

Absolutely, I've seen some 'D' connectors which had been soldered to using acid based flux and the connector pins were actually dissolving after a year or so.

Try reading this about Tin Whiskers growing on lead-free solder:

http://www.sigcon.com/Pubs/news/10_01.htm

Indeed, look at the age and the opening paragraph "I am no expert...". I have a lot of respect for the author (Dr Howard Johnson) in his own field of high speed circuit design.

Then use google and read, for example, https://www.indium.com/blog/pb-free-solders-are-not-the-cause-of-tin-whiskers.php

Lead free solder is not allowed in aerospace applications because of the whisker problem.

It's not the solder that is the problem, it is pure tin plating on components and PCBs.

I don't think it's "not allowed", more that lead is still allowed in certain applications.

Things are changing, and will continue to change, just google "lead free solder aerospace".