Baseboard curtain

Whittle20

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy. 

I got the black fabric for my layout curtain from Ikea. They have a pretty decent range, although somewhere like Dunelm Mill would also be a good bet if you have one near you. 

Tom. 

I think I got mine from Remnant Kings, but that was more than 20 years ago! It's plain blue cotton material. Most exhibition venues will require it to be fireproof, but you can get a spray to do that.

Jim

I got the fire retardant material for Modbury from here https://www.fabricuk.com/47-fire-retardant-fabrics.  The piece I got cost around £27 but I over ordered because in addition to the curtain for Modbury we wanted enough to make the black canopy for St Ruth to block out most of the non-layout lighting when we run in night mode.  In actual fact I even had enough left over to make a dust sheet for Modbury too.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Fire retardency seems to be less important these days since the smoking ban. We certainly don't stipulate at Mansfield and I have never been asked about it at any show I have attended with Summat Colliery or Fourgig East (both use the same curtains)

Rather than a curtain, these days I use a board which has a second purpose of closing off the front of the layout during transportation. I did look at hinging it but found it easier to bolt it in either of the two positions. In its "hiding the under-pinnings of the layout role" the lower edge resides in mirror clips attached to the legs, which keeps it nicely rigid. It doesn't go right down to floor level, of course, but does go down far enough to ensure that viewing the layout isn't detracted by sight of the legs, etc.

One other thing that I now do regularly when I build a new layout is to incorporate a few stick-on metal hooks on the non public side of the layout board - very useful for hanging jackets, etc, during a show.

Hi folks,

Just a couple of points:

Firstly, some venues may require flame-retardant certification for drapes so it may be worthwhile buying flame-retardant material in the first place and keeping the documentation.

Secondly, you don’t have to use drapes. Both my layouts have a common support structure in the form of a box with additional fold-out doors. As well as supporting the layout and screening the inevitable mess that accumulates at exhibitions, it also provides a robust transport container for all the ancillary bits - cables, power supply and lighting - see below.

post-18048-0-47606600-1544787354_thumb.jpeg

John

• Like 2

Have had the fire retardent requirement at a couple of the bigger shows, think it's the venue requirements or maybe insurance. I use certified material and have kept the documentation.

Edited by johnb