These are the locomotives, if you can call them that. The first is a Simplex, typical motive power for a Lincolnshire agricultural railway.

post-31781-0-40820500-1544731448_thumb.jpeg

The second is more unusual, but believe it or not, inspired by reality. It’s a homemade steam-powered rail lorry, my first attempt at scratchbuilding a loco.

post-31781-0-29060500-1544731566_thumb.jpeg

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 6

Looks good, whose kit is the Simplex and is it motorised please?

I thank you. It’s a 3D printed body by Tebee on one of those tiny Japanese chassis. I added some detail behind the radiator. Here it is heading past the farmhouse and out into the fields.

post-31781-0-22172000-1544745021_thumb.jpeg

The wagon immediately behind is a home-made carriage (home-made by the farm, and also home-made by me). The basic idea behind this is that, as on real agricultural railways, a lot of the rolling stock was built in the farm's own workshops.

Edited by HonestTom
  • Like 3

Love the layout, says a man whose 7/8 scale modelling is "little" diesels and skip wagons. The lorry is a cracker, I assume you have the Lincolnshire potato railway book? PS enjoying the colour of magic , 5 books on order at the library!

I do indeed have the book in question - I think it's basically the only reference work that exists on the subject, so I figured I should get my hands on a copy. Actually, the rail lorry was directly inspired by a real life example in that book, a steam-powered machine used by the Dennis Estates which apparently was not hugely successful due to its weight. I decided to have a go at scratchbuilding something as while there are plenty of kits and 3D prints for rail lorries, none of them would look ramshackle enough. As I'm new to scratchbuilding, I figured I'd give it a shot - any mistakes would only add to the effect. In fact, the whole thing does sit a little askew on its chassis, but this isn't very visible unless you're staring at it head-on.