Dawn over Margate

Andy Y

Who by?

Hornby was from Liverpool, not a backwater in the South East. That was Rovex/Lines Brothers/Triang.

Jason.

Hornby is known as the model train company based at Margate.

No one said it is it's historical HQ. Honestly you're just the third person I've come across in 2 decades who has been so eager about it's actual historical location. As Andy said....just let's move on with the topic.

Those of us who know exactly where Hornby are from, good for us. Those who don't, they'll learn something. Even though I'm aware of Hornby's history, I still refer to it as a Margate based manufacturer. Each to their own....

I'm so pleased that the 'trainset company' of my early years is still going, let alone getting their s*!t together for 2019. I was sat looking at my fiddle yard earlier with it's rows of Bachmann traction and thinking how good my Hornby stuff actually was for the money. There's some good folk at Hornby, including the previously mentioned Paul Isle, who really want to see the Company do well and it'll be nice to see the faces of the doubters as the Hornby Bandwagon marches on.

Hear hear!

• RMweb Premium

Well that's encouraging to hear and should be good for the confidence of people looking to get items that your obviously expecting to be popular. The question now is what:

So is this the firing gun for the Hornby 2019 prediction thread? Not a wishlist, but a prediction on what might be coming... as if there are real surprises it could be interesting to see what some others think could be coming.

It used to be fun , but I don’t know if it’s because there are so many announcements/ manufacturers these days but I just can’t build an appetite for it . Usually I was completely wrong anyway!

Without wishing to give Andy more work, a straight list of what is on offer would be very useful. In other words, something more like the Bachmann lists than the Hornby pictures of documents relating to each item. From the title “Dawn over Margate”, I take it that Andy sees Hornby coming out of the doldrums and offering us exciting stuff.

I would of thought a 1/76th scale reenactment of the Operation Overlord would be more apt (considering 2019 is the 75th Anniversary of it) :sungum:  :sungum:

The relevance was Pegwell Bay and the former terminal. I did go in search of the D-day diorama in the visitor centre but it's no longer there; I will be in Normandy on the 6th June though.

• Like 5

The view would be considerably enhanced with one or two of these.

Swift_2-04_700.jpg

Hornby / Airfix: Would love to see a kit of one of these in the British Rail Seaspeed livery! White and rail blue.

I remember them in BR days and travelled on them (Princess Margaret and Princess Anne IIRC).. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That seascape is thankfully froth-free.  How I wish this topic would follow its example.  :angel:

All the frothing was down in Dawlish today, they had a load of sea-foam blow in. Maybe that’s a spooky natural portent of what is to come?

I was talking with the Hornby designer (didn't get his name) and his assistant at their stand at BRM Peterborough.

They were very enthusiastic about the future - and were keen to get comments and suggestions which I listed on the feedback card.  He said they read every single one. They seem to have a great team now.

I wish Hornby all the very best for 2019 and many years ahead.

Edited by cravensdmufan
  • Like 5

The positivity in Andy's OP is quite encouraging. I'm not sure what to expect now. I'm looking forward to what Hornby has to offer in their D&E ranges.

Mostly speculation, but since Hornby do a superb Class 67 and Class 87, I wonder if they'll do some Mk.5 stock and have Serco Caledonian Railway themed stuff? I also hope Hornby does a Class 92. It will be out well before DJM can't actually do something.....

Once again and also just speculation, I do wonder if Hornby are going to do something like the Class 86 (i.e. Class 86/2, Class 86/4 and Class 86/6) or maybe a Class 91 with some suitable Mk.4 coaches and a Mk.4 DVT too??

Could this be a year for the D&E modellers to be treated by Hornby??

7th just seems too far off...

I wonder if there will be a special offer to buy the Hornby 2019 catalogue with the February Hornby Magazine. I am pleased to see that Hornby is doing well and is introducing some new models next year.

Why bother - the catalogue is little more than a collection of poor graphic images that you can find on their web site. If Hornby really want to show they are up to date making it available as a free pdf would be a big advance

I was talking to the Hornby designer (didn't get his name) and his assistant at their stand at BRM Peterborough.

They were very enthusiastic about the future - and were keen to get comments and suggestions which I listed on the feedback card. He said they read every single one. They seem to have a great team now.

I wish Hornby all the very best for 2019 and many years ahead.

Very encouraging!

• RMweb Gold

Thing is, who is this Dawn from Margate? Does she have a phone number...….

Stewart

Presumably a friend of Janet (Ian Drury Isle of Thanet reference earlier in the thread.  I was always more taken with Nina in the back of my Cortina...)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Fr

The relevance was Pegwell Bay and the former terminal. I did go in search of the D-day diorama in the visitor centre but it's no longer there; I will be in Normandy on the 6th June though.

Friend of mine went for the 70th one, and said it was the most moving thing he'd ever done.  Take tissues.