January 2019 Railway Modeller

The latest edition is out today and uniquely got a preview in today's Daily Telegraph. The reason for this is  an interview with Jools Holland, which was extensively quoted and illustrated with pictures of what the Telegraph described as his 'train set'. Still, it provided a very positive take on the hobby. Those of us who were amazed by the Carlisle layout featured a while back will be glad to see another 5 page article, with more photographs from Tony Wright.

• RMweb Premium

A number of locos I have weathered or fitted sound to have appeared in the Jan 2019 Railway Modeller - shame Tony didn't mention who had done the work on these

A couple of Heljan Co-Bos - regauged by Mike Edge then sound chips fitted (Digitrains), weathered and new pipework fitted

blogentry-7650-0-18101000-1544732924_thu 
blogentry-7650-0-01274100-1544732938_thu

These work the "Condor" on the layout.

A DJH Clan - built by the late Alistair Rolfe (in EM) weathered by me .. and I think it has a Zimo sound chip fitted.

blogentry-7650-0-97367400-1544732954_thu

and a Caledonian Jumbo built by Mike Edge (in EM), weathered by me

blogentry-7650-0-94092400-1544732981_thu

Baz

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I would guess that this is in some ways a spin-off from GMRC. Even with Jools Holland on the front cover, I doubt that The Mail would have featured a Railway Modeller article before.

Not my idea of a layout, but some love scenic modelling there and fascinating the way in which models from many eras have been combined - even some Minic.

• RMweb Premium

Like Joseph , it would not normally be my idea of a layout , but it is very impressive.  Its one of these ones where you stare at the photo and spot something new every time . Lots to be seen . But with Railway Modeler even if that doesn't grab you there are lots more layouts and articles in there that are of interest. Another good one!

I would guess that this is in some ways a spin-off from GMRC. Even with Jools Holland on the front cover, I doubt that The Mail would have featured a Railway Modeller article before.

I'm pretty sure that it (or the Mail on Sunday) once covered Rod Stewart's layout and may still couple his name to anything 'train set' related. The Telegraph article also mentions Rod Stewart.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was unable to find a copy in my local Smiths or even at Waterloo Station when visiting just before Xmas, and now I see one is on Ebay for £9.99 so maybe its a better investment at the moment than my ISAs!

£4.60 if bought from Peco!

https://peco-uk.com/pages/railway-modeller#RM-2

cheers,

Keith

Mine came in the post yesterday.

Had to goggle Jools Holland; had anyone else heard of him?

He's pretty well known in the UK. Maybe not a household name that everyone including your granny would know. But he probably gets a fair few million watching his shows.

Sometimes comes over as a bit of a pretentious (insert mild swearword). One of those that tries a bit too hard at being cool, but isn't really cool.

Probably alright in real life though.

Jason

£4.60 if bought from Peco!

https://peco-uk.com/pages/railway-modeller#RM-2

cheers,

Keith

Thanks Keith, I've now ordered mine from Peco too - just never thought they sold it directly. I'm grateful for your help because my friend John Howe has been telling me about Jool's layout for several years as he has been making buildings and constructed London tram and Underground sections for him. Over the years I've found it amusing to hear of the turf wars between his projects and others like the Minic Motorway as spaces and gaps were filled. His last visit to prepare the layout for the article brought a surprise when he found his 1938 tube stock had been replaced with a new Bachmann S (surface) stock in the same underground platforms! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So i've decided to take a 1 year digital subscription as there was quite a good discount but will have to go and get the back issue with the Carlisle piece as that is stunning.

I also liked the article about what has happened to Striven as that is a back issue I have kept hold of.

• Like 1

My copy has finally arrived from Peco and I see a blooper on page 9 in the picture of Jool's Underground station, which my friend John Howe built for him. The 1938 stock is sat in the far platform with a trailer car leading, and the driving motor car possibly removed for repair! That train was supplied by Metro-models with a spud motor at each end and was reportedly an unreliable performer  - a double motored UNDM (trailer) being their preferred method these days. John had seen an S Stock train on his visit the previous week, sat in the near platform obscuring the view, and had not looked too closely in case he was asked to enlarge tunnels and lower tracks for it to move!

All goes to show what I've long known to be the case, that all the money in the world is no substitute for some personal knowledge and skill! Bad marks for the photographer and the editor for not noticing.

My copy has finally arrived from Peco and I see a blooper on page 9 in the picture of Jool's Underground station, which my friend John Howe built for him. The 1938 stock is sat in the far platform with a trailer car leading, and the driving motor car possibly removed for repair! That train was supplied by Metro-models with a spud motor at each end and was reportedly an unreliable performer  - a double motored UNDM (trailer) being their preferred method these days. John had seen an S Stock train on his visit the previous week, sat in the near platform obscuring the view, and had not looked too closely in case he was asked to enlarge tunnels and lower tracks for it to move!

All goes to show what I've long known to be the case, that all the money in the world is no substitute for some personal knowledge and skill! Bad marks for the photographer and the editor for not noticing.

So the photographer and editor have got to be experts on obscure London Underground trains which most people couldn't care less about?

Please explain a GWR 43XX with BR Southern stock passing the BT Tower with modern satellite dishes attached.

It's an unrealistic train set which is seen as a bit of fun. That is all.

I'll also add that if I was a professional model maker and that was my modelling skills then I wouldn't be advertising the fact. It's like something from the 1970s.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 02/01/2019 at 23:14, pirouets said:

So i've decided to take a 1 year digital subscription as there was quite a good discount but will have to go and get the back issue with the Carlisle piece as that is stunning.

I also liked the article about what has happened to Striven as that is a back issue I have kept hold of.

Never mind Jools Holland and his layout. The outstanding article was definitely the one on Striven.

A wife purchased a layout for them both, with the intention of setting it up in the lounge, as the only space available! Also she insisted that rather than 'level' the layout, when it was proven that the floor wasn't actually level. She determined that they would modify the trains, to be able to climb the grades as 'a real railway would'.

Also the concept of a 'ladies only' operating session, where even her railway modelling husband, isn't allowed to attend.

Magic!

I'm sure the late Chris Matthewman, would be impressed to know that his layout, has found such a wonderful home and is now permanently living in the lounge!

• Like 1