Hornby 2019 Speculation

Edge

• RMweb Gold

No ideas with the general rolling stock (except a streamlined duchess and coaches set in blue)

The surprising thing:

A road system similar to the Faller set up.

Working supporting infrastructure, such as conveyor belts/ hoppers/ overhead buckets. 

Sound modules for steam loco sheds / country stations

Or - some EM gauge rolling stock...

Edited by Stubby47

Provided Hornby has had enough time to cast metal since so many of us started wittering about a Wainwright D, then that for steam. I think Hornby would like to give the West Coast Main Line a rest for a year or two before producing a Princess. Probably an 0-6-0 of some kind – relatively cheap to turn out and usually well received.

If anything requires a new tooling, it must be the 91. Because Hornby has already produced one, then that for diesel/electric.

As to the surprise, well, it wouldn’t be a surprise if I had the slightest idea.

With the Saint making its debut next year and Hornby's extensive range of GWR express locos, I wouldn't be surprised if we see one in their range (and if they could tool it like Lady of Legend to allow them to produce the Atlantic configuration, even better). A Princess is a no-brainer. I think an 8F is long overdue, although I could see Bachmann snapping that one up also.

As for the eye-opener... could be anything. However, given the success of the Sentinel shunter and Peckett, maybe another small loco? I'll suggest a BR Class 02.

• Like 1

We are only in to page 2 and already the following have been suggested....

Night ferry coaches

GWR clerestory or suburban stock

GWR Manor

GWR Saint

SR U class

ST Q Class

Stop now! My wallet is having an apoplectic fit as they all fit my modelling needs. Include an Aberdare and Super Saloons and I will be getting a call from the bank manager.

Anything GWR or Southern will suit me. Roll on January 7th!!!

For steam I reckon it will be:

LSWR T3

LMS Princess Royal (I will gladly bet on that)

GWR Large Prairie or possibly a Caledonian 439 class

GWR Iron Mink van

Another buffet car for a different region (please GWR)

LBSCR 4 wheel coaches

Edited by GWR8700
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Steam, renewal of a core LMS origin loco, Black 5 or 8F. Ex-NBR D34 to further show off their 4-4-0 prowess

D+E, renewal of the 91 and mk4s as a complete IC225 set,  and a modern EMU, perhaps the 700.

Coaches, I think it is the GWR's turn to get some non-gangwayed. And exquisite Compagnie Internationale Wagons-Lits for the night ferry.

Wagons, LMS designs to go with the LMS steam loco

(There's more than a hint that they are going to try and revive the train set market, so 'items that go together' could be a theme.)

Eyebrow raising surprise. They at last see the light, and bring out a Peco challenging code 75 FB system with authentically based point geometry. (Don't know about raise an eyebrow, I might actually faint if that happened.)

Doubt this is Hornby but the North York Moors based Black 5 5428 is apparently being laser scanned this week - that came from the Grosmont Engine shed Facebook page. 

• RMweb Gold

Block Instruments 

article1_1.jpg

An unused boxed set went on ebay a few years ago now and made £225

Ah well, back to sleep till the 7th !!!

Brit15

And, to go with them, maybe some decent looking signals that can be worked properly (unlike the otherwise nice Dapol ones which need butchery to do that).

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

New tooling:

All-new rebuilt Merchant Navy

GWR Manor

Class 207 3D DEMU

The relaunched Brighton Belle as restored for main line use to current standards

I don't think another new Scottish prototype steam loco will be announced next year until they've assessed the sales of their J36.

SR gangwayed luggage van

Golden Arrow 1951 Pullmans

Night Ferry sleeping car

Mk1 RB and/or BCK

Reliveries:

Class 800 in LNER livery

4VEP in either Connex or Stagecoach livery with another run in blue/grey

ScotRail HST

TTS sound installed in class 153 and 121 DMUs

Railroad J83 and GWR railcar introductions

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 4

Here's my punt:

Diesel class47. Reasons have already been stated. Lots of livery choice. Market could with stand competitor to bachmanns. Its comparitively safe.

Steam personally I'd love to see a Thompson pacific. Though I suspect we may see a retooled a3. Has anyone else noticed the a3 diagram in the Hornby advert in a number of magazines? Its a lighter risk than a Thompson. Sadly the existing tooling was never milked to its full potential. Personally I have loads and I don't see me off loading them for a retooled model.

Coaches: Hornby went with an SR restaurant car this year. I believe it sold well- I'm more than happy to be corrected. I would expect regional ex big four catering vehicles to follow. Further mk1s including catering vehicles should be a no brainer.

But we wait and see......

Edited by davidw
  • Like 2

Another industrial loco, perhaps an Avonside tank 0-6-0.

GWR non corridor stock and a new autocoach

Collett dining car or full brake.

Perhaps a siphon or other NPCS.

A more esoteric GWR engine. We've had some smaller freight engines for the other constituents of the big four.Perhaps it's time for me to sell on that aberdare I'll never get round to finishing.

• Like 1

This is what I think may happen, rather than what I would like to happen:

Steam

SECR Wainwright Class D 4-4-0

• Popular, elegant, express passenger locomotive.
  • Preserved Example.
  • Completes gap in basic provision of RTR SECR locomotives.
  • Complements the H in Hornby's own range, Hattons' P and Bachmann N, C and Birdcages.
  • Survived into BR days.

GWR Churchward Saint Class 4-6-0

• Popular, elegant, express passenger locomotive.
  • New-build example to be released into traffic in 2019.
  • Leaves (as far as I can tell) just one gap in the GWR 4-6-0 range (Manor)*
  • Complements other Hornby GWR locomotives and coaching stock.
  • Survived into BR days.

Diesel & Electric

Please note, I am not well-versed in these matters, so there is an element of what I'm hoping for.

NER ES1 Bo-Bo Electric

• Fits well with the current increase in NER prototypes being produced.
  • Something quirky and different that can be produced in attractive liveries.
  • Pre-Grouping design.
  • Not just a one-off but still unique as a class.
  • Survived to BR days.
  • Preserved Example

Coaches

GWR Non-Corridor Stock

• Oft-requested.
  • Last company not to be served by any major manufacturer with modern-spec Non-Corridor stock.

Wagons

SECR Brake Van - Possibly Diagram 1558.

• Complements existing SECR stock on the market.

Surprise - 'Eyebrow Raiser'

• Narrow Gauge stock. To be a real 'eyebrow raiser' possibly in O-16.5 based on Hornby's long-term skill and manufacturing to 16.5mm gauge.

Steam:

LNER Thompson A1/1 60113 'Great Northern' (last high profile LNER Pacific)

LNER ex-NER Class J21 (Q6 sold well, fairly strong demand for NER prototypes)

GWR Saint Class 4-6-0 (new build factor)

Diesel & Electric:

BR Class 86/2 (biggest D&E class yet to have an accurate model, Heljan aside)

GWR Class 387 Electrostar (goes with the 800, options for other liveries)

Class 60 in DB red

Passenger:

GWR Toplights (to go with the Saint)

Freight:

They'll probably be a random wagon. I reckon they'll be a Presflo cement wagon and a 21t Brakevan to modern standards.

Something surprising:

LNER P1 2-8-2, both full-fat and Railroad range with TTS sound.

• Like 3

A retooled A3, you mean one that has a working trailing bogie? Now that would open my wallet. Still, when I presented my modified Brit with said trailing bogie to SK he said very nice (!) and that was that.

The Gresley A3 didn't have a trailing bogie. Bogies have 4 or more wheels. Please don't make the A3 a 4-6-4!

• RMweb Gold

My guess..

Steam..

An 0-6-0 industrial steam loco.

GWR 4-6-0. (Odds.. Saint 40%, Manor 40% or County 20% outsider)

GWR 0-6-0 tank of some kind

BR Standard Clan 4-6-2

K1 in LNER Green

Unrebuilt MN in BR Green

Rebuilt Bulleid (lets bet on a preserved one this time), maybe 34046 with a new tender top.

LMS Princess 4-6-2

Modern..

BR Blue class 31/4

50031 Intercity

A cheeky class 92 !

Class 375/377/379/387 Electrostar

87002 Caledonian Sleeper

Stock

Mk1 RBR buffet

Mk5 coaches

Wagons

6wh Milk tank

Detailed MGRs

More in the theme of the TTS.. maybe a station building, or signal box with sound.

As a way out there thoughts..

given the nice sea view picture.. return of minic ships ?

Motorised Tram or DLR ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes I did, but my post and all the responce on it was gone after a short while.

Think it was not allouwed, by the admins, probably it was a not to be shown items on Hornby's site in the first place[ Hornby's fault?], but still have the pictures in my computer and the information

on paper, but will not post again. 

So how many PM's with requests have you got up to now? And has Andy Y sent the heavy mob round yet? 

• RMweb Premium

Hmmn!

Steam - wonder if Hornby will run follow the J36 with a Glen, and for LMS fans perhaps a Caley 439 class examples of both classes being preserved.  I could also see them doing an ex-NER 0-6-0.

In terms of modern image perhaps another unit - something in the 313/314/315/507/508 body family.

Wagons - too many options though some pre-group ones that lasted into the late 1950s may have enough options to make them viable (e.g. ex- MR van, LSWR brake).

Of course, this is all guesswork ......

• Like 2

Hi,

I find it hard to guess because:

1) Brexit (April 2019?).

2) It was reported that Hornby had worked out that 90% of their profits came from 50% of their range. They then reportedly cut back on the range of items made. If they make profit from their new releases that analysis can't influence choice of production items forever. Also producing a particular item is not an isolated situation - if there aren't a set of coaches in the same livery as a pair of HST power cars the sales of the power cars is affected. If there is no Railmaster software, sales of E-link will be affected. If there are no train sets there may be less new modellers to buy Hornby items in the future.

3) There have been management changes reported including Simon Kholer re-joining as a consultant. I would hope he will have an eye on warrantee returns including TTS sound chips and careful study of some of the less successful items produced when 'design clever' was being mentioned in the model press.

4) Any effects of the Great Model Railway Challenge TV series.

5) Production of the Hornby Junior.

6) This Christmas's sales and how they break down.

7) Changes in Chinese production and transport.

Regards

Nick