Hornby 2019 Speculation

Edge

Hornby like named engines, so how about an LNER B2 4-6-0 with names like Norwich City, Belvoir Castle and Manchester City!

Someone above said an 0-6-0, how about an LNER J17, J19 or J20, they have a suitable tender (with a couple of minor mods).

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not been mentioned yet, but could the eyebrow raised be Hornby's return to 7mm/O gauge?

Dapol have a number of small engines, Heljan have their rapidly expanding diesel range so Hornby could fill a gap in the market with affordable RTR medium sized steam engines. Low development costs (rescaling 4mm range),relatively small production runs, tolerance for a higher price provides a decent margin. and untapped market potential?

They could also offer realistically priced 7mm rolling stock?

Just a thought

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh and my 4mm prediction is the Princess Royal, after the success of the retooled Princess Coronation. Complemented by the one off 6202 Turbomotive - just to keep it interesting!

Edited by sjp23480

I'd like to see TTS sound on Railroad models that haven't been done yet, maybe classes 26 & 33. It was reported in the model press that a retool was being carried out on the VEP. Quite interested to see if something materialises on that front.

Mk1 buffet or sleepers maybe, other than that - not a clue.

So how many PM's with requests have you got up to now? And has Andy Y sent the heavy mob round yet? 

No pm's so far but not possible without knowing my mail adress :jester: and what about the mob, haven't seen one yet :mosking:

But it seems i do have some secret information in property :sarcastichand:

• RMweb Premium

My Two Pennorth:

GWR Saint (90% already tooled with the Star)

GWR Panelled 70' Autotrailer

The Gresley A3 didn't have a trailing bogie. Bogies have 4 or more wheels. Please don't make the A3 a 4-6-4!

Why not?

Gresley W1 (OK it was a 4-6-2-2) - Maybe even as a high pressure loco?.

P2 with Bugatti front

Another SR mixed traffic loco (2-6-0 or 4-6-0)

Another SR 4-4-0

Something LNWR: (Claughton or 4-4-0?)

Plenty of others to choose from

Something L&Y Railway ditto

More Scottish prototypes.

Left field:

LMS 6399 "Fury"

Fell

Articulated coaches.

Metrovick gas turbine/E1000

Keith

EDIT

How about DCC controlled level crossing gates?

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

Hornby could do with putting a toe-hold in the super-detail DMU market as their current range is looking decidedly crusty and they are losing the market to Bachmann and to a lesser extent Dapol.  I have an itchy feeling we might see the much wishlisted Swindon Cross Country, especially as it can just about satisfy the obsessive copper kettleistas given they ran alongside them.  Outside chance might be the Birmingham Class 104, Hornby like to "connect" with past models when introducing new models, and Triandg did make a 3mm Class 104, plus their current range has the venerable Class 110, a sort of Class 104 GTi, and of course it comes in 2, 3 and 4 car flavours with a wide geographic spread.  They must have seen that Bachmann's first gen DMUs are steady sellers and Bachmann are investing in new models in the shape of the Class 117 so they must feel the time is right to catch a slice of this rapidly vanishing cake.

In a way some sort of hi fidelity Heritage DMU would be a canny move, sufficiently overlapping with steam so as not to frighten their grey pound collectors into an early coffin but not a tea urn, so they can claim to be doing something "modern" to shut up people like me who accuse them of being kettle centric.

That said I'd love a LNWR 4-4-0 of some description, lovely locos, ideal for the smaller layout, and not green painted either.

• Like 1

Every year I write that it's about time Hornby did one of the big Southern tanks as they have done so for the LNER, LMS and GWR. So once again I'll say G16 or H16 or perhaps even the Z class.

The SECR D is a very real possibility. It's sort of now taken on the same status that the Adams Radial enjoyed in the past. While on the subject of that, it's ready to appear in some new liveries.

Left field – battery powered radio control system.

Edited by Anglian

And, to go with them, maybe some decent looking signals that can be worked properly (unlike the otherwise nice Dapol ones which need butchery to do that).

John

When Simon Kohler gave a talk to the Wimborne Railway Society I did suggest that he improved the Hornby signals as Hornby-Dublo were making some excellent electrically operated signals in the 1950s. He agreed that there was an opportunity for improvement and his wording was a bit stronger than that.

• RMweb Premium

A Manor please, as Hornby have the Grange tooling all ready. Years ago there was a Grange body kit that used the Manor chassis from Mainline. So it is possible.

There have been attempts to squeeze the Grange underpinnings inside a Mainline Manor. It is a tight fit and a bit of butchery is needed.

The Grange Chassis is too big & long. Note the Manor has shortened frames.

Keith

Hi,

I find it hard to guess because:

1) Brexit (April 2019?).

2) It was reported that Hornby had worked out that 90% of their profits came from 50% of their range. They then reportedly cut back on the range of items made. If they make profit from their new releases that analysis can't influence choice of production items forever. Also producing a particular item is not an isolated situation - if there aren't a set of coaches in the same livery as a pair of HST power cars the sales of the power cars is affected. If there is no Railmaster software, sales of E-link will be affected. If there are no train sets there may be less new modellers to buy Hornby items in the future.

3) There have been management changes reported including Simon Kholer re-joining as a consultant. I would hope he will have an eye on warrantee returns including TTS sound chips and careful study of some of the less successful items produced when 'design clever' was being mentioned in the model press.

4) Any effects of the Great Model Railway Challenge TV series.

5) Production of the Hornby Junior.

6) This Christmas's sales and how they break down.

7) Changes in Chinese production and transport.

Regards

Nick

Point 2 reminds me of Doctor Beeching.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hornby could do with putting a toe-hold in the super-detail DMU market as their current range is looking decidedly crusty and they are losing the market to Bachmann and to a lesser extent Dapol.  I have an itchy feeling we might see the much wishlisted Swindon Cross Country, especially as it can just about satisfy the obsessive copper kettleistas given they ran alongside them.  Outside chance might be the Birmingham Class 104, Hornby like to "connect" with past models when introducing new models, and Triandg did make a 3mm Class 104, plus their current range has the venerable Class 110, a sort of Class 104 GTi, and of course it comes in 2, 3 and 4 car flavours with a wide geographic spread.  They must have seen that Bachmann's first gen DMUs are steady sellers and Bachmann are investing in new models in the shape of the Class 117 so they must feel the time is right to catch a slice of this rapidly vanishing cake.

In a way some sort of hi fidelity Heritage DMU would be a canny move, sufficiently overlapping with steam so as not to frighten their grey pound collectors into an early coffin but not a tea urn, so they can claim to be doing something "modern" to shut up people like me who accuse them of being kettle centric.

That said I'd love a LNWR 4-4-0 of some description, lovely locos, ideal for the smaller layout, and not green painted either.

Heritage? MI? Left field?

I give you Derby Lightweight battery powered unit:

http://preserved.railcar.co.uk/Images/Other%20BEMU/79998-2012-08-20-Ian-McLoughlin.jpg

Keith

Unfortunately Silver Fox do it already so I think not.

Edited by melmerby

Point 2 reminds me of Doctor Beeching.

Hi Robin,

I think that's a very good point - analysis of the present situation if not combined with a very good evaluation of future possibilities is I think a poor analysis.

I wonder whether privatisation of the railways was done without considering the effects of other transport policy then or in the near future. Clamping down on the use of roads and other factors maybe caused more people to use trains to go to work - how dare they - that maybe made the privatisation idea from a quiet nice little earner for non government organisations into an unpredictable mix with the possibility of media reports, public anger and scrutiny by Parliamentary committees.

Regards

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Hornby will introduce an updated version of Live Steam - Live Diesel Electric.

A new modern diesel loco fitted with a miniature diesel engine, complete with alternator and electronics to drive the 12v motor(s)

It will be DCC controlled.

Keith

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There have been attempts to squeeze the Grange underpinnings inside a Mainline Manor. It is a tight fit and a bit of butchery is needed.

The Grange Chassis is too big & long. Note the Manor has shortened frames.

Keith

It's a while since I last had one apart, but IIRC the Grange chassis casting was such an awkwardly tight fit in the Grange body that I immediately abandoned any thoughts of shoe-horning one into a Manor.

The only thing that might change my mind would be the acquisition of a milling machine!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

If Hornby has still got the Lima tools they could reintroduce their 0 gauge class 33 diesel, Mk1 coaches and goods wagons. These were a considerable improvement on the Hornby 0 gauge clockwork trains and Tri-ang Hornby's Big Big train, the Lima models run on Peco 0 gauge track and are much cheaper than the 0 gauge models currently being produced. You can still get second hand Lima class 33s for about £50 and Mk1 coaches for about £20.

Edited by Robin Brasher