Hornby 2019 Speculation

Edge

I'm expecting a couple of revamps of previous models in a new Princess and retooled A1/A3. The latter desperately needs doing as they must be losing sales of one the most popular models due to the ski slope.

Also the possible return of an old favourite we haven't seen for a while like they did with the Q1 (hopefully the Clan).

After that I expect something ordinary such as a GNR J6 or NER 0-6-0 and a cute tank of some description. Possibly a GER J67/J69, LSWR G6 or LBSC E2 0-6-0T. NBR D34 Glen to go with the J36.

One thing I am expecting is a new LMS Standard 20 Ton Brake Van to replace the antiquated ex Airfix version. They've done the GWR and LNER Toads, so the LMS one is an open goal. Bachmann has already got the earlier Midland type so I don't expect one from them.

Possibly more catering vehicles.

I also think someone will do a Manor, but I've not idea what colour box it will coming in.

Jason

TBH the A3 just needs a retool of the running plate to correct whatever bodge was create in the post SK factory. Damn cheaper than retooling the whole thing! The model itself is fundamentally accurate and fine. The only real shortcoming that I can see is the under-boiler area where there could possibly be some sort of capturing of the bottom of the boiler.

This said, if the A3 were to be retooled I'd expect the A4 should be done as well, with laser scanning of 4468 (given it has the least/zero preservation changes); laser scanning would especially improve the compound curves on the nose, and allow a few other improvements. However barring a bogie wheel resizing as per the Duchess, you'd still be left with a compromise on the under-cylinder area with the valanced models, which imho is the biggest weaknesses of the A4s.

In all honesty, I can't see the Gresley Pacifics being touched, at least for a few years, especially as the A4 has recently been produced in Apple Green, and I recall Simon Kohler saying this had previously not been done because of the cost of setting up the printing tools for the lining; they wouldn't have invested if they planned to retool in the short term.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If the eyebrow raiser is to be a product, new control system using battery power.

A couple of artisan producers have been making good progress with this. Now at a stage where the tech could really take off with the backing of a major manufacturer.

Is there any loco class that fits a j50 wheelbase / wheelsize ?

AFAIK, just the J50. (The final GNR 0-6-0's share the wheelbase but have larger wheel diameter.) I was well surprised that having finally got around to a completely newly tooled 0-6-0T for the first time since some point in the 1950s it was of a class that unique. Either the Crewe or Derby wheelbase dimensions potentially offered multiple use of the mechanism layout if Hornby ever chose to take a new broom approach to the 'universal mechanism infested' element of their catalogue.

Not that I am ungrateful, fine model, every layout should have one to raise the tone.

Regarding re-tooling the A1/A3 I think that other than the running plate being straightened the other major problem is the very front of the bogie. Both the A3 (and A4) need a NEM pocket but the worst detraction from the appearance is the guard irons. All locos have a double set but after the early-mid 50s the outer set were removed on all locos presenting a much tidier front end. The splash plates over the axleboxes were removed at the same time. I have modified a loco (60049) to this later arrangement and it looks much better as a result. All the Hornby models of the later BR A3s and A4s have always looked odd to me without this simple modification which could be achieved by the manufacturer very easily with a small tooling adjustment.

Edited by sirwilliamfrs

I don't know about you, but Hornby went for quantity over quality. Once, I saw an Railroad A1/A3 chassis (the old tender-drive one, mind you) and it was bowed after the moulding process. It's true because my usual dealer saw it.

Hornby clearly took their eye of the ball with the A3s made after the factory move. Somewhere there is a SK/REF comparison and the running plate on the REF version actually has slightly different dimensions, which might in part explain why it bows when fitted to the boiler! (either that or it is ejected from the tool too soon!). This is just a lack of QC in tooling and test assembly, as well as a subsequent failure to sort the recurring problem!

Definitely flanged in the second photo on here.

https://hrlocomotives.livejournal.com/2070.html

Jason

Sorry but no, definitely not flanged, what you see there is the rust on the tyre from the rusty siding its sitting on.

One of my photos (cropped) of the Jones Goods which shows there is plenty of room for even model flanges but maybe not two Romford flanges of old and with the centre wheel on 103 being flangeless there shouldn't be a problem anyway, I have built a DJH one in the past, a poor kit.

post-10324-0-42437700-1545323021.jpg

As you can see 103 is now repainted into a much better colour and apparently more accurate, not the sunshine yellow it had been when running in the 50/60s.

In 2006 I was employed by the Museum of Transport as an engineer to write the condition reports on the big items in the museum before they were transfered to the new museum and was privy to info on the locos etc. The four Scottish locos were 'loaned' to the museum and came straight from service into the museum without any heavy work being done. In fact on 103 the ash from the last fire was still in the ashpan and smokebox until after I wrote up the reports and for 'enviromental reasons' at least four barrow loads were then taken away....  Incidently the loco is knackered, I climbed all over the five locos and 103 was by far the most worn out with the valve motion eccentrics being so worn that one could push the eccentric straps off the journal and down onto the axle....

Dave Franks.

Sorry but no, definitely not flanged, what you see there is the rust on the tyre from the rusty siding its sitting on.

One of my photos (cropped) of the Jones Goods which shows there is plenty of room for even model flanges but maybe not two Romford flanges of old and with the centre wheel on 103 being flangeless there shouldn't be a problem anyway, I have built a DJH one in the past, a poor kit.

attachicon.gifJones Goods - 25.JPG

As you can see 103 is now repainted into a much better colour and apparently more accurate, not the sunshine yellow it had been when running in the 50/60s.

In 2006 I was employed by the Museum of Transport as an engineer to write the condition reports on the big items in the museum before they were transfered to the new museum and was privy to info on the locos etc. The four Scottish locos were 'loaned' to the museum and came straight from service into the museum without any heavy work being done. In fact on 103 the ash from the last fire was still in the ashpan and smokebox until after I wrote up the reports and for 'enviromental reasons' at least four barrow loads were then taken away....  Incidently the loco is knackered, I climbed all over the five locos and 103 was by far the most worn out with the valve motion eccentrics being so worn that one could push the eccentric straps off the journal and down onto the axle....

Dave Franks.

A real shame! Although I knew it was highly unlikely, HR.103 has always been a loco I'd like to see steam again...

- James

• RMweb Gold

How about a Malachite 1945-46 original cab BoB/WC .. ... ... thinking of something I might actually buy.

It would have to be 34015 Exmouth (the last one to retain the original cab) in Brunswick, for me.

IIRC Hornby stated, when the new-spec Light Pacifics were first announced all those years ago, that the tooling would be designed to allow for this variation to be produced, but it has never been done.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Oh, you are a loco-centric lot aren't you  :tomato:  I have more locomotives than I have time to run, but when I do it would be nice to have some proper train formations to run behind them.

It certainly seemed to me that the GWR Colletts sold very quickly a couple of years ago, I bough a couple of arm-fulls myself and was convinced that they would follow through with a brake composite and a full brake in 2018.

Maybe 2019?

Whatever you get, I wish you happiness.

Pete.

• Like 3

How's about a Stanier 60' composite to go with the 57' third, brake third and first class coaches. There can't have been many trains on the LMS lines between the thirties and the mid sixties that didn't have at least one in the formation plus for secondary lines the common formation was a brake third, compo and brake third  and for regional trains the addition of the all third makes a typical 4 coach set so it would surely be a good seller.

Dave.

• Like 1

I would like Hornby to consider having a go at the Isle of Man narrow gauge line. Also London Underground deep tube stock from the 1950's as well as surface stock from the same period. Some RTR London Trams would also be nice. Lastly to do some early era Southern Region EMU's such as Bulleid 4-SUB, 4-LAV, 4-NOL, 4-COR, etc.

There are lots of opportunities to make more coaches. There are lots of new locomotives being introduced that do not have appropriate coaches to haul.

However what I expect is another version of Flying Scotsman and yet another version of the LNER A4 Mallard.

Model railways is all about nostalgia and there are plenty of opportunities still for Hornby to explore and it's not all about locomotives.

Regards Stephen.

• RMweb Premium

HI  As Hornby seem to follow company lines, eg LSWR, GER, and have now started on the NBR with the J36 can I suggest that a D34 Glen will make an appearance.  Roger

If a "Glen" appears in next year's range I'll go cock-a-hoops, however my version must be in LNER livery to go with the J36 that I've preordered.

However I suspect it'll be a 2020 announcement, with appropriate Reid NBR coaches

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 2