Hornby 2019 Speculation

Edge

Far too many, unfortunately.

Their natural habitat seems to have become the boxes that permanently reside under traders tables at swap meets, where the  majority of them seem to be available for as little as 50p a pop.

For those who just like to run trains for the sake of enjoying them you may as well make your trains up from coloured tennis balls*. (Or Brio maybe)

* reference

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Gold

Well the Clerestory has appeared in MR, LNER and GWR liveries , not so far away from what Robin is suggesting . As far as I know these weren't met with howls of derision .  Clearly selling these at £35 a go wouldn't work but you could have a generic compartment coach in the Railroad range @ £20 a pop .     I still run a rake of Graham Farish OO LMS non corridor coaches from 1978. They don't look half bad .

And I could have had three of them in "teak", still in the original bubble packs for a tenner each last Saturday.

John

• RMweb Premium

And I could have had three of them in "teak", still in the original bubble packs for a tenner each last Saturday.

John

Ironically I never thought the teak ones were as convincing , but the Choc/ Cream , Southern and LMS ones were OK . I think they did Corridor Coaches too. You are right though , they come in a blister pack

Well the Clerestory has appeared in MR, LNER and GWR liveries , not so far away from what Robin is suggesting . As far as I know these weren't met with howls of derision .  Clearly selling these at £35 a go wouldn't work but you could have a generic compartment coach in the Railroad range @ £20 a pop .     I still run a rake of Graham Farish OO LMS non corridor coaches from 1978. They don't look half bad  and that was a generic design . If I could pick up some GWR ones like them I would be quite happy.

They're the newer ones though.

It's the old Triang ones from the 1960s that Robin is talking about. They did a run of them about ten years ago for a train set.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=3969

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Gold

Ironically I never thought the teak ones were as convincing , but the Choc/ Cream , Southern and LMS ones were OK . I think they did Corridor Coaches too. You are right though , they come in a blister pack

TBF, the Farish "teak" isn't any worse than some of Hornby's.....

Edited by Dunsignalling

The space thing must be an issue- with the current insanity of the property market (I'm speaking as someone in the East Midlands who spent a couple of decades living in the South-East) pricing the young out of home ownership, then if you're looking to build your first layout in a small rented flat or shared house, the need to build something small and portable is likely to be in your mind. I wasn't actively modelling in my early/mid-20s, but if I was, in the shared rented houses I was living in at that age, then a steam-era shunting plank with something like the Hattons Barclay, Hornby Peckett etc and a few wagons would be on my agenda.

Ah - you've hit the nail on the head there ........ but it won't be shorter formations they'll go for but following the natural progression of smaller houses, Gauge 1's a niche market, Gauge 0 is limited in appeal, 00 Gauge could be falling out of favour and N gauge could well follow .................. No, Hornby are to re-size their entire range for T SCALE ! ( starting with the Peckett, of course )

Oops  -  forgot to mention 'Z' scale ............... easily overlooked, innit !

Edited by Wickham Green

• RMweb Premium

Knock 'em out in Railroad boxes for £20 and you'd sell plenty, even without labelling them Annie and Claribel.

They'd only need to be a similar spec to the old Tri-ang Mk 1. Shorter chassis, (two, one with gangway and one with non-gangway ends) assorted sides and optional clerestory and non-clerestory roofs. They could even do 6-wheelers with a non-functioning middle wheelset like the Chivers Fish van kit.

Maybe something that would actually work if sold as CKD only.

My razor-saw is dripping with polystyrene dust in anticipation. :jester:

John

If Hornby's board have any wit at all, the last thing they'll allow capital to be invested in is tooling low-margin long-term sellers. They need stuff that's going to make its money back quickly, which means shiny, main range and not cheap.

• RMweb Premium

They're the newer ones though.

It's the old Triang ones from the 1960s that Robin is talking about. They did a run of them about ten years ago for a train set.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=3969

Jason

They did the old ones too Jason . The LNER ones date from 1973.  The newer clerestories were from the 1982 catalogue.

Southern locomotives the main ones or the more famous smaller classes have already been done. The only open goal really would be one of the SECR 4-4-0’s or their maunsell rebuilds or the LSWR H15. Outside chance would be a U or Q. And if Hornby was going to go for something in the big tank variety I would say the SECR J class over the W, Z, H16 or G16. They are not as confined as the others, reasonably long lived and would compliment the H & C class

Big James

• RMweb Gold

If Hornby's board have any wit at all, the last thing they'll allow capital to be invested in is tooling low-margin long-term sellers. They need stuff that's going to make its money back quickly, which means shiny, main range and not cheap.

Tend to agree, but hacking fodder is becoming harder to find these days, though I did pick up another short clerestory brake quite reasonably last Saturday.

Mind you, Hornby have probably sold more of their ludicrous little 4-wheel coach than all the outstanding scale ones made in the history of the company combined. :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Tend to agree, but hacking fodder is becoming harder to find these days, though I did pick up another short clerestory brake quite reasonably last Saturday.

Mind you, Hornby have probably sold more of their ludicrous little 4-wheel coach than all the outstanding scale ones made in the history of the company combined. :jester:

John

Mind you I could see a range of decent four wheel coaches selling well. Base them on an actual prototype. An all third and a brake third (as a minimum) and then do the usual Hornby thing of selling them in any livery they feel like once they have got their money back.

Just think how long the ratio coaches have been around.

Base them on an actual prototype. An all third and a brake third (as a minimum) and then do the usual Hornby thing of selling them in any livery they feel like once they have got their money back.

• Like 1

I've just been looking through some old southern region books and came across some locomotives that might be of interest. The LSWR T1 or LSWR class A12 locomotives seem quite interesting, perhaps not viable to produce but thought it was worth mentioning. I'm sure the Q class has been mentioned numerous times and the C2x, well I think we can just leave that one to Bachmann.

• RMweb Gold

They did the old ones too Jason . The LNER ones date from 1973.  The newer clerestories were from the 1982 catalogue.

My GW austerity brown repaints were both LNER faux teak livery before I worked them up.  The coaches were originally generic but based on the general look of Dean bogie non-gangwayed coaches of the late Victorian era to go with Lord of the Isles, though they were never produced by Triang, Triang Hornby, or Hornby in anything other than a simplified post WW1 GW livery AFAIK.  The Midland lookalikes were fully lined out, and the LNER versions (I think they were loosely based on an NER prototype) were nicely lined as well.  There was also a BR crimson and cream run, but I have no idea what these were supposed to represent!

They don't look too bad as representational models of most of the prototypes they purport to portray, and were pretty good when they were initially introduced in the early 60s.  The panelling is plastic moulded but non the worse for that, and much better than the painted panelling on the later Dean gangwayed clerestories, which are a badly missed opportunity.  I am happy enough with mine; lots of character and the general feel of a GW clerestory at the end of it's working life, but not capable of standing close scrutiny!  Mine have been re-wheeled, but the original wheels, Triang in one case, ran perfectly through my Peco Streamling turnouts.  They will be improved running wise with a bit of weight, though!  I would agree that any panelled clerestory or 4 wheeler to modern standards would sell like hot cakes, sho' nuff...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is funny isn’t it. Even though initially I couldn’t get steamed up about this , I find myself drawn here and waiting excitedly for announcement on Monday. I still think they could use Engine Shed to better effect and announce throughout year , but I am intrigued to find out what we might get. This is especially so , as with Hornby the models usually arrive in 1 Year - 18 months . I suppose it’s the modern equivalent of calling into McKay models in Paisley almost every day around this time of year to see if the new catalogue was in.

Edited by Legend
  • Like 3

Perhaps the picture of Mallard's record breaking train on pages 24 and 25 of Hornby's 2018 catalogue is a spoiler for this year's model. I think that a train pack with Mallard and two articulated sets of coaches in Garter and Cambridge Blue would sell well. Perhaps Hornby could sell a coach pack of another articulated set and a beaver tail observation car. People could use these with Rails' dynometer car.

We could use these sets to form the 'Coronation' or the 'West Riding' and Hornby could also make the A4 and the coaches in silver to form the 'Silver Jubilee.'

These would appeal to people not normally interested in the LNER and Hornby should be able to make some money out of the sets.

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps the picture of Mallard's record breaking train on pages 24 and 25 of Hornby's 2018 catalogue is a spoiler for this year's model. I think that a train pack with Mallard and two articulated sets of coaches in Garter and Cambridge Blue would sell well. Perhaps Hornby could sell a coach pack of another articulated set and a beaver tail observation car. People could use these with Rails' dynometer car.

We could use these sets to form the 'Coronation' or the 'West Riding' and Hornby could also make the A4 and the coaches in silver to form the 'Silver Jubilee.'

These would appeal to people not normally interested in the LNER and Hornby should be able to make some money out of the sets.

I bet Hornby are planning a West Highland line scenario during BR steam days ... they've already produced a B1, Black 5, K1, Clan (used once on a special) and now a J36.

They could announce the beavertail observation car in original and rebuilt versions, a K4 this year, and in 2020, an NBR Glen class loco.

Edited by gc4946
  • Like 2

It is funny isn’t it. Even though initially I couldn’t get steamed up about this , I find myself drawn here and waiting excitedly for announcement on Monday. I still think they could use Engine Shed to better effect and announce throughout year , but I am intrigued to find out what we might get. This is especially so , as with Hornby the models usually arrive in 1 Year - 18 months . I suppose it’s the modern equivalent of calling into McKay models in Paisley almost every day around this time of year to see if the new catalogue was in.

Exactly the point - with the Engine Shed (or some other mechanism) they could have this sort of interest in Hornby - or froth if you prefer - several times a year instead of one short period.

Their natural habitat seems to have become the boxes that permanently reside under traders tables at swap meets, where the  majority of them seem to be available for as little as 50p a pop.

For those who just like to run trains for the sake of enjoying them you may as well make your trains up from coloured tennis balls*. (Or Brio maybe)

* reference

I created an Inglenook from Wooden Thomas a few years ago that satisfied me for hours.