Hornby 2019 Speculation

Edge

Don't know if anyone has noticed but a recent TV ad may have blown Hornby's cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFZWmKlQVk

Steam Locos : Battery powered A4 in LNER blue livery with fully yellow ends (Tender sold separately)

The Surprising Thing(s): Re-introduciton of Magnahesion - well how else would that A4 make it up that gradient onto the coffee table and and forward mounted "drivers eye" camera 

:jester:

• RMweb Gold

Maunsell crimson and cream restaurant coach to go with my rake of Maunsell coaches.

Odds-on certainty given that the companion open second is in the 2018 programme.

Looking at your photo, you also need another Brake second to go on on the other end of your train, Robin.  :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Odds-on certainty given that the companion open second is in the 2018 programme.

Looking at your photo, you also need another Brake second to go on on the other end of your train, Robin.  :jester:

John

I have got another brake second but I could not find it in time for the meeting. I wonder if Maunsell made some left and right handed coaches like Collett did.

Here are a few suggestions..

Steam

Highland Railway Jones Goods.

A special release of 60009 Union of South Africa to mark its retirement in 2019 to reside with John Cameron's other iconic engine, recently retired K4 The Great Marquess.

Could Hornby tool up the K4 and release a special commemorative twin pack?

Diesel & modern image

Plasser & Theurer 07-16 tamper

Plasser & Theurer 08-16 tamper

Class 37. The windscreen on the Bachmann model never looked quite right to me. Vitrains also haven't got the windscreen correct. With such a popular class with a vast amount of liveries I think the market could easily support another model especially if done to Hornby's class 60 standard. The same argument could be said for a new class 47.

Put the MK3 in the Railroad range and release a trainpack with the Railroad class 43s. Perhaps a GNER set as they often used DM power cars (same as the Limby model). Seems strange that Hornby currently charge more for their MK3 than Oxford do for their far superior (ignoring recent livery errors) mk3a.

TTS sound for class 156, 153, 101, 56

Diesel smoke generator. Dapol are doing this on their forthcoming class 59. Could be very popular.

Class 314 EMU and similar PEP types. The 314 and other PEP types are currently getting withdrawn and now would be an ideal time for someone to finally model this numerous and widespread type. The model would also go well with their class 87.

Coaches & Wagons

Salmon rail carrying wagon

PFA containerised coal wagon

Virgin mk2 RFB (with lights) to allow modellers to complete a rake with the Virgin TSO and BSO Hornby released a few years ago. Many RFB coaches have the same two-fan aircon that Hornby modelled on the MK2e so only the body would need to be tooled up.

And Finally...

RailMaster LOCO DETECTION.

We have been waiting sooo long for this it is about time it was finally brought to market. It is the missing link in the RailMaster software. Currently, the RailMaster programming functions are useless without loco detection as the trains never seem to stop in the desired location. Loco detection would finally allow modellers to have a fuly automatic layout where they can just sit back and watch.

Edited by scottrains29
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

lner.info is an excellent resource, but a perennial annoyance is that coupled wheelbases are never quoted in constituent axle-to-axle dimensions.

A very good source for coupled (and other) wheelbases is Charles Lake's 'British Locomotive Types' book of line drawings first published in 1937 by the Railway Publishing Co with all drawings claimed to be based on official information.  The book obviously entered the Ian Allan fold at some time as the drawings have been re-used in various IA publications in more recent years.  However it is far from exhga haustive but covers a reasonable variety of classes for all four Groups including some 0-6-0 tank engines such as the J50.   I bought my copy for a few £s in a secondhand bookshop.

The 314 is currently getting withdrawn and now would be an ideal time for someone to finally model this numerous and widespread type. The model would also go well with their class 87.

Numerous and widespread only in the context of 'Greater PEP.'  As an adjunct to the 87, it would surely rank rather lower than Classes 304, 310, 317, 321 and 323.

Edited by 'CHARD

Here are a few suggestions..

Steam

Highland Railway Jones Goods.

A special release of 60009 Union of South Africa to mark its retirement in 2019 to reside with John Cameron's other iconic engine, recently retired K4 The Great Marquess.

Could Hornby tool up the K4 and release a special commemorative twin pack?

Diesel & modern image

Plasser & Theurer 07-16 tamper

Plasser & Theurer 08-16 tamper

Class 37. The windscreen on the Bachmann model never looked quite right to me. Vitrains also haven't got the windscreen correct. With such a popular class with a vast amount of liveries I think the market could easily support another model especially if done to Hornby's class 60 standard. The same argument could be said for a new class 47.

Put the MK3 in the Railroad range and release a trainpack with the Railroad class 43s. Perhaps a GNER set as they often used DM power cars (same as the Limby model). Seems strange that Hornby currently charge more for their MK3 than Oxford do for their far superior (ignoring recent livery errors) mk3a.

TTS sound for class 156, 153, 101, 56

Diesel smoke generator. Dapol are doing this on their forthcoming class 59. Could be very popular.

Class 314 EMU and similar PEP types. The 314 is currently getting withdrawn and now would be an ideal time for someone to finally model this numerous and widespread type. The model would also go well with their class 87.

Coaches & Wagons

Salmon rail carrying wagon

PFA containerised coal wagon

Virgin mk2 RFB (with lights) to allow modellers to complete a rake with the Virgin TSO and BSO Hornby released a few years ago. Many RFB coaches have the same two-fan aircon that Hornby modelled on the MK2e so only the body would need to be tooled up.

And Finally...

RailMaster LOCO DETECTION.

We have been waiting sooo long for this it is about time it was finally brought to market. It is the missing link in the RailMaster software. Currently, the RailMaster programming functions are useless without loco detection as the trains never seem to stop in the desired location. Loco detection would finally allow modellers to have a fuly automatic layout where they can just sit back and watch.

Hornby have already made three limited editions of 60009 'Union of South Africa: R2909 limited edition of 1,000, R3198 limited edition of 510 (The Great Gathering Collection) and R3253 limited edition of 510 (The Great Goodbye Collection) They have probably made more limited editions of 'Union of South Africa than their normal production runs for other locomotives. I still cannot find one at a reasonable price so I would like to see another run of 'Union of South Africa.'

• RMweb Premium

John

That's one of the problems with the coach type distribution from most manufacturers.

There are ususally two many 1sts and not enough 3rds/2nds, restaurant/buffet cars or brake coaches.

A suggestion for Hornby:

Re-tooled GWR B-set.

New Suburban GWR 4 car set.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

Hornby have already made three limited editions of 60009 'Union of South Africa: R2909 limited edition of 1,000, R3198 limited edition of 510 (The Great Gathering Collection) and R3253 limited edition of 510 (The Great Goodbye Collection) They have probably made more limited editions of 'Union of South Africa than their normal production runs for other locomotives. I still cannot find one at a reasonable price so I would like to see another run of 'Union of South Africa.'

The one  variant Hornby have never done - though I stand to be corrected - is a post-war garter blue loco with cutaway valances ........... they've missed the 1948 exchanges anniversary now so I won't be holding my breath for Mallard on the Southern !

That's one of the problems with the coach type distribution from most manufacturers.

There are ususally two many 1sts and not enough 3rds/2nds, restaurant/buffet cars or brake coaches.

Keith

Doesn't really apply to the Maunsells as Hornby release them as sets.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/wagons-coaches/passenger-coaches/br-maunsell-coaches.html

So if people buy the right models, then they've got the full train. But you know people.... ;)

Jason

Oh, you are a loco-centric lot aren't you  :tomato:  I have more locomotives than I have time to run, but when I do it would be nice to have some proper train formations to run behind them.

It certainly seemed to me that the GWR Colletts sold very quickly a couple of years ago, I bough a couple of arm-fulls myself and was convinced that they would follow through with a brake composite and a full brake in 2018.

Maybe 2019?

Whatever you get, I wish you happiness.

Pete.

I agree and will admit to being very loco-centric when it comes to RTR.

That's because I like to build wagon and carriage kits, and feel I can to a reasonable standard. Whilst I reckon that much of the RTR rolling stock output and choice is still pretty poor. There are exceptions obviously.

However I doubt I can build and paint loco kits to the standard of some of the recent models, certainly not for the same price. So if a RTR manufacturer makes something I want then I can put the effort into building something they will never make.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

If it’s the SR’s turn for a new wagon, I really do think it’s time for a new SR/BR Banana van. The old Dapol version still gets churned out so must sell, in which case an all new tooling should do well too. The same could also be said for the three axle milk tank.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Doesn't really apply to the Maunsells as Hornby release them as sets.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/wagons-coaches/passenger-coaches/br-maunsell-coaches.html

So if people buy the right models, then they've got the full train. But you know people.... ;)

Jason

Fortunately, Hornby do acknowledge that the Southern managed much of their LHCS as short sets like EMUs so modellers require a disproportionately high number of brake ends. 

It wasn't always so, though. When the Maunsells first came out, I had quite a job getting all the BSKs I wanted, whilst many shops had shelves full of unwanted FKs.

As for "you know people" I gather Bachmann had a certain issues with sales of their Birdcages, as quite a few folk just bought the two brakes to use as a branch set, despite the prototypes always running as 3-sets. Some retailers had a number of the middle coaches left over as a result.

It's a pity (IMHO) that neither Hornby or Bachmann have continued the practice Hornby began with the Maunsell P-P set and their first "Somerset & Dorset" 3-set, by marketing properly compatible coach packs.

John

I had a similar problem when the Brighton Belle first came out.

I couldn't find one of the trailer cars for love nor money. Then I found out that people were buying them thinking they were normal Pullmans. I know some are now used as loco hauled stock, but they are heavily modified with replacement bogies and even some of the windows/doors are altered.

Jason

If it’s the SR’s turn for a new wagon, I really do think it’s time for a new SR/BR Banana van. The old Dapol version still gets churned out so must sell, in which case an all new tooling should do well too. The same could also be said for the three axle milk tank.

I would buy some SR Banana Vans to go behind my USA Tank.

I've bought some Ratio and a couple of ABS kits. But the ABS kits are like hens teeth and you need loads of them.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

A suggestion for Hornby:

Re-tooled GWR B-set.

New Suburban GWR 4 car set.

Keith

Re-tooled Auto Trailer to represent either A28 or A30, not a hybrid, as well please.  I'd certainly be in the market for any non gangwayed GW coach that wasn't a B set!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

Numerous and widespread only in the context of 'Greater PEP.'  As an adjunct to the 87, it would surely rank rather lower than Classes 304, 310, 317, 321 and 323.

Yep, thats what I meant. If Hornby did produce a class 314, I'm sure they'd do the rest of the PEP types (313,314,315,507,508) too as they are so similar!

I can't see Hornby attempting any of the mk3 based 317 to 322 types. They use a similar bodyshell to the class 150. Bachmann will be bringing out the 319 in N gauge so I think it's only a matter of time before Bachmann do an 00 mk3 based EMU. The PEP type units cover a very lage area of the country, from Scotland to South East England from the 70's to present day and would be ideal for Hornby to model.

• RMweb Premium

That's an interesting call Keith. Are you thinking something along the lines of the recent Lionheart release.

Hadn't heard of the Lionheart coaches.

I had remembered that the GWR used fixed formation 4 coach sets (C set?) in the same way as B sets but AFAIK no close coupling as with some B sets.

The  panelled Auto-trailer was rather nice, almost enough to tempt you into 0 gauge.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Some bow-ended B sets were close coupled, but AFAIK none of the flat enders were.  Flat ended B set composites were certainly used as individual brake composites on some South Devon branches in the '50s, which must have meant that there was either no non smoking or no smoking accommodation in first class, as there is only one first class compartment.