Hornby 2019 Speculation

Edge

• RMweb Gold

Such a tease....I am however trying not to get too excited with the fear of being disappointed.

I for one seriously hope the steam obsessed Hornby do a Class 91. Something for the D&E folk. We've had an amazing Class 71 and equally stunning Class 87.

I'm taking model trains too seriously, aren't I?

No.  How can model trains be taken too seriously?

• Like 1

They will have a hard job. Hornby must have about 5 all new locos, then all new coaches and all new wagons plus all the various reruns in new liveries. Who could possibly upstage that?

Unlikely in terms of number of items, but one carefully chosen item could upstage and take a lot of the interest away.

I would consider it unlikely however, if for no other reason than if anyone was to be upstaged it might be Bachmann given the rumours of issues between Bachmann and a certain retailer.

[edit]

which to be clear I am not expecting anything to happen, just commenting that if someone wanted to upstage anyone at this point in time Hornby wouldn't necessarily be the target.

Edited by mdvle
  • Like 1

Maybe a Class 86, to go with that lovely Class 87. It makes sense.........

I wouldn't be surprised if they make the excellent Valenta TTS chips available as a standalone item, currently only available as fitted in the Intercity Power Car pack.

Pushing the boat out a bit, maybe a standalone class 08 TTS chip or even a class 153 with TTS.

Edited by bart2day

I dare say I'm already quite a few pages behind on this discovery so apologies but anyway, here we go! Below is a painting by Malcom Root depicting a Lord Nelson class locomotive pulling a rake of night ferry coaches. Now is this to say we might be receiving some night ferry coaches or is it just front cover art. Some may recognise that this is in-fact the same front cover as seen on the 2018 catalogue, so perhaps we are just being misled or they are saving some pennies. Who knows.

image-6.jpg

Southern Railway Lord Nelson class 4 -6 -0 No. 855 'Robert Blake' is seen in Folkestone Warren with the up Night Ferry circa 1938 - Malcom Root

If we do receive these CIWL F Type Sleeping coaches, I'm sure they'll be sold as a set of three. These however have already been produced by LS Models so it will be interesting to see if we will actually get them. My personal opinion is no due to Hornbys current situation, such a specific set of coaches may not prove cost effective. Cheers

Rory

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I dare say I'm already quite a few pages behind on this discovery so apologies but anyway, here we go! Below is a painting by Malcom Root depicting a Lord Nelson class locomotive pulling a rake of night ferry coaches. Now is this to say we might be receiving some night ferry coaches or is it just front cover art. Some may recognise that this is in-fact the same front cover as seen on the 2018 catalogue, so perhaps we are just being misled or they are saving some pennies. Who knows.

image-6.jpg

Southern Railway Lord Nelson class 4 -6 -0 No. 855 'Robert Blake' is seen in Folkestone Warren with the up Night Ferry circa 1938 - Malcom Root

If we do receive these CIWL F Type Sleeping coaches, I'm sure they'll be sold as a set of three. These however have already been produced by LS Models so it will be interesting to see if we will actually get them. My personal opinion is no due to Hornbys current situation, such a specific set of coaches may not prove cost effective. Cheers

Rory

Is that a Forgon conclusion ?
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

May I suggest that if its a Pear Tree, then you must have TWO Leaders!

On second thoughts....

I read your mind, what you actually meant was..

Three new tooled Bullied tenders, Two retooled Modified Merchant Navies and a Leader in a Pear tree

:jester:  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good point; it's been a while since an RTR R1 was available and a reservoir of demand may well have built up.  But you can't really say (not that I'm saying you were) that the HD R1 was marketed in the same way that a modern re-iteration would be; it was just the generic HD 0-6-0 tank in the same way as the Jinty was for Triang, and I suspect very few of it's purchasers cared much about it's origin or history.  

But, as you say, a long lived design with livery and cab variations and essential for steam era layouts based on the SECR's territory.  Good call.

They already do a class 91. I'm hoping for something new.

If you're content with a model from ancient tooling that's going to win no prizes for detail etc, then that's fine....

But most people don't like it and there's hundreds who have been pressing Hornby to re-tool their ancient Class 91

Regards...

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if they make the excellent Valenta TTS chips available as a standalone item, currently only available as fitted in the Intercity Power Car pack.

Pushing the boat out a bit, maybe a standalone class 08 TTS chip or even a class 153 with TTS.

Standalone TTS Sound Chips is a no brainer...we all know they'll eventually be sold like that. It's happened all these years and I don't see why it will cease to happen as such. They always release a TTS Sound Chip in a model, judge the response and then release it as a standalone product.

• Like 1

If you're content with a model from ancient tooling that's going to win no prizes for detail etc, then that's fine....

But most people don't like it and there's hundreds who have been pressing Hornby to re-tool their ancient Class 91

Regards...

I have changed my mind. I was very keen for Hornby to re-tool the 91 but now I am not. What I fear is that Hornby would produce a 91 with a poor pantograph and abysmal lighting; akin to the Class 87.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Standalone TTS Sound Chips is a no brainer...we all know they'll eventually besold like that. It's happened all these years and I don't see why it will cease to happen as such. They always release a TTS Sound Chip in a model, judge the response and then release it as a standalone prodoced

ct.

No doubt they will, eventually

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I have changed my mind. I was very keen for Hornby to re-tool the 91 but now I am not. What I fear is that Hornby would produce a 91 with a poor pantograph and abysmal lighting; akin to the Class 87.

Problems that are too minor for me to not want Hornby to re-tool it. Not too worried about prototypical lighting and have no issues with the pantograph Hornby used on the Class 87.

The lighting can be sorted out with an Express Models lighting kit. The pantograph on the Class 87 is IMHO the best representation of the Brecknell-Willis one in OO scale, people can easily swap it out for the less realistic double-lower arm Bachmann one if they ever make it a spare. Also the much loved DJM said all his models will come with spares for every part. Also maybe we can persuade Michael Edge (if I got the name correct) to design an accurate etched/cast metal kit and support a small business like his.

So yeah...I don't see the problem.

PS: I designed and sold  Brecknell-Willis 3D printed pantograph kits and haven't received a bad review of it so far. A 3D printed one is far more delicate than a moulded finescale plastic one. People just need to understand what they're dealing with and learn how to handle it carefully.

Doesn't time fly when you are frothing.

Keith

We need to froth more!!! Froth people froth....

*not the alcohol kind please, I don't drink.

• RMweb Premium

It would still be better than the old one!

Here is my prediction of what the announcement won't be:

• Metropolitan Railway E class loco
  • United States Army Transportation Corps S160 loco
  • Hunslet locos Linda & Blanche
  • Rolling stock to go with the above
Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Like 4