Hornby 2019 Speculation

Edge

I read your mind, what you actually meant was..

Three new tooled Bullied tenders, Two retooled Modified Merchant Navies and a Leader in a Pear tree

:jester:  :jester:

Shouldn't the last line read:

And a Leader with a Fairlie.....

• RMweb Premium

Something for the D&E modellers to ponder over. How about a new class 20?

Hornby already have the ex Lima model in their Railroad portfolio, and Bachmann have been resting on their laurels with their version. Whilst a fine model, it's still yet to receive an upgrade with factory fitted lights, practically a must for modern image locos by now. Space for Hornby to snatch some ground maybe?

Lion (Thunderbolt) and appropriate rolling stock in a 'finescale' train pack.

Road/Rail 14xx, Steam Roller & Monkton Combe (Titfield) Station packs.

Hoorah!

Most definitely!

Hornby already have the ex Lima model in their Railroad portfolio, and Bachmann have been resting on their laurels with their version. Whilst a fine model, it's still yet to receive an upgrade with factory fitted lights, practically a must for modern image locos by now. Space for Hornby to snatch some ground maybe?

With the TTS decoder fitted as standard...

Just 23 hours to the big reveal, and the tension is mounting!!!  :jester:

Bachmann have already announced an upgraded class 20 in DRS and HNRC liveries, with wipac headlights that work, but if Hornby could beat them to market with an updated version.......

• RMweb Premium

If Hornby announces new Skaledale structures, my guesses would be:

NBR West Highland line chalet station building

NBR signalbox

(this year is the 125th anniversary of the opening of the West Highland line)

Low relief tenements and shops

Edited by gc4946

Lion (Thunderbolt) and appropriate rolling stock in a 'finescale' train pack.

Road/Rail 14xx, Steam Roller & Monkton Combe (Titfield) Station packs.

Hoorah!

Brilliant idea, especially as it could be aimed at the "return to modelling" grey pound market as a premium product, perhaps with a DVD/BluRay included.  I'd probably include a 1:76 Corgi Bedford OB as well though.

You need to put a stake in the ground now to claim a royalty for the idea...

Brilliant idea, especially as it could be aimed at the "return to modelling" grey pound market as a premium product, perhaps with a DVD/BluRay included.  I'd probably include a 1:76 Corgi Bedford OB as well though.

You need to put a stake in the ground now to claim a royalty for the idea...

Perhaps a double box set of Lion and Tiger with goods wagons and coaches of the late 1830s.

A Planet Patentee would go nicely with them....

A Skaledale Liverpool Road Station would complete the offering.

I think I'll go for a little lie down now...

• Like 1

A Shinkansen N700S in 2020 Tokyo Olympics livery along with a range of completely unmarketable tat to be produced in a tie up with the Chinese Government to promote the 2022 Beijing winter olympics.

P

• Like 1

If Hornby announces new Skaledale structures, my guesses would be:NBR West Highland line chalet station buildingNBR signalbox(this year is the 125th anniversary of the opening of the West Highland line)Low relief tenements and shops

Lol....i’m Sorry this post should be removed.... It’s logical, realistic and entirely feasible.... It goes against all the principles of this frothfest.....

Problems that are too minor for me to not want Hornby to re-tool it. Not too worried about prototypical lighting and have no issues with the pantograph Hornby used on the Class 87.

The lighting can be sorted out with an Express Models lighting kit. The pantograph on the Class 87 is IMHO the best representation of the Brecknell-Willis one in OO scale, people can easily swap it out for the less realistic double-lower arm Bachmann one if they ever make it a spare. Also the much loved DJM said all his models will come with spares for every part. Also maybe we can persuade Michael Edge (if I got the name correct) to design an accurate etched/cast metal kit and support a small business like his.

So yeah...I don't see the problem.

PS: I designed and sold  Brecknell-Willis 3D printed pantograph kits and haven't received a bad review of it so far. A 3D printed one is far more delicate than a moulded finescale plastic one. People just need to understand what they're dealing with and learn how to handle it carefully.

We need to froth more!!! Froth people froth....

*not the alcohol kind please, I don't drink.

The Hornby class 87. Brand new tooling,should be completely user friendly and well designed. Sound chip doesn't fit. Lights aren't correct. To accept these issues, and say it's 'allright' to fit an after market lighting kit is quite frankly ridiculous. Then again, it's probably a good motivator for Hornby to keep churning these entirely avoidable issues out.

A few suggestions:

Locomotives:

• New Manor -  it will be either red or blue box , but it will happen -  Only 15, half of the class modelled by Mainline/Bachmann Branchline

EMU

An new EMU - They don't have to look to far for inspiration 

Coaches 

• Could we see a BR Mk1 BFK and RSO?- (The blue box brigade are reviewing their Mk1's  - Updated 57' Mk1 Suburbans from them possibly, including new SLO and CL?)

Wagons

Hornby to continue to introduce one new traditional wagon type per year.  Two suggestions:

Oh and all those deliveries that have slipped for 2018 Blue MN, Pecket H&P pack, etc

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some of the comments being posted on anything related to the Hornby announcement on Facebook are just utterly bonkers!  It really is time certain people in the world had their typewriters/keyboards taken away by men in white coats...

The Hornby class 87. Brand new tooling,should be completely user friendly and well designed. Sound chip doesn't fit. Lights aren't correct. To accept these issues, and say it's 'allright' to fit an after market lighting kit is quite frankly ridiculous. Then again, it's probably a good motivator for Hornby to keep churning these entirely avoidable issues out.

Which is why I said "IMHO" and not make a general remark claiming it was everyone's opinion.

My statements are my opinions there and I'm more than happy to support some fabulous cottage industries/smaller businesses and their products too.

Also most people who buy model trains are keen on working lights and have absolutely no idea about what are the accurate lighting combinations used when trains are on the move in the real world.

If it were to bother me, I'd either happily pay you for your time and talent to sort it out for me.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1

Some of the comments being posted on anything related to the Hornby announcement on Facebook are just utterly bonkers! It really is time certain people in the world had their typewriters/keyboards taken away by men in white coats...

Let them froth away....happens every year!

If you think Facebook was bad, you should see Instagram. This is where I fear for the hobby....

Had a youngster comment that Hornby was doing it wrong because they were making the announcement while he was at school.

When it was explained to him that the benefit was that he'd be back from school and be able to view it without the usual website crashes, he gets offended.

He then proceeds to claim that the others were making things political and then says he's a teenager and that these things scare people away from the hobby.

I fear for the hobby now....seriously.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

doesnt have to always be the big ticket items like locos or coaches. often you find some gems hidden in the small print of the announcement lists...…..

how about time Hornby consigned their ancient hydraulic buffer stop to the bin (I remember having one about 40 years ago -possibly branded Hornby Triang) and produced a new one maybe one with modern red lights atop as an option?

could they possibly be looking at catenary masts again and not the creamy coloured plastic horror stories they did in the 80s...….I see no further progress from Dapol on its catenary promises.

Wagon - all new UKF Procor Fertilizers bogie wagon.

• Like 1

Locos, I'd suggest one or more from: GWR Manor, LMS Black 5 and/or 8F, SR Q Class

Against this we've just had two high-profile SR (Lord Nelson) and LMS (Duchess) releases, plus the fact that both the 5 and 8F have been in the catalogue recently, including some tooling revamping of the 8F... The Manor would be the first major GWR release for a couple of years (since the King) and would be a namer that would sell well, be one up on Bachmann, plus they've already got the CAD/design work for the tender!

Given Bachmann's well publicised delays, a dark horse might be a V2 from Hornby - Hornby would get it to market quicker, and again they already have an LNER Group Standard tender. I would say this is the most likely LNER announcement.

Off chance we'd get an A4 and A3 based on similar logic as per the Duchess, but I think unlikely, as they would have timed it for Mallard 80 if it had been on the horizon.

Re-liveries, I'd say there will be more Lord Nelsons (hoping for 850 in preserved Malachite), and maybe some more Thompson B1s, and a peckett or two.

Electrics: more 87s announced plus possibly a new tool 91 although this might be wishful thinking on my part. Some new Class 43s, including the Blue/Grey-Intercity GWR pair, will be a high probability.

I would also suggest we might get an Electrostar to a Class 800 standard - this would be an important bit of the modern era to claim.

Way out suggestion would be a 47 or 37 to overtake Bachmann… but unlikely given the current production and market saturation

Coaches:

I would put my head out and say the LNER Bevertail in both iterations might be an option, following on from the Devon Belle. And Maybe some Mk4s if a 91 is announced.

Finally, if diesels seem a bit thin from either Bachmann or Hornby, would be interesting to wonder if they were planning a Deltic but got jumped by Accurascale. Or indeed if we see some duplication!

• Like 1