Hornby 2019 Speculation

Edge

• RMweb Gold

Hornby nowadays are very, very good indeed, but could still do better.  For instance, I would be much less irritated at paying what they ask for a GW A28/30 auto trailer which is a 100% redacted tooling dating back to Airfix days nearly 40 years ago if they fitted it with the better quality bogies available in the range.  The reason is probably that the production, or at least the assembly facility comes as a complete package and it is too complex an administrative issue to divert good bogies to this coach, but an opportunity to do better at no extra effort has been missed to the detriment of the model and Hornby's reputation.

I'm not so sure, given that Bachmann are releasing 3 car dmus (Classes 117 and 170) next year and Hornby released a 5 car Class 800 recently.  In any case any new items coming out this year will have been planned a couple of years back.  That said, Bachmann announced their new 3 car dmu plans more recently and despite Bachmann's pricing policy are still going ahead so perhaps there is a less price sensitive market of sufficient size to justify more than 2 car units.

Whilst a Class 800 in full five car formation is pricey, and somewhat more iconic than a 4-COR I don't think if Hornby thought they could sell them they wouldn't tackle it just because it would probably end up retailing at something like £250.

I agree. Bachmann still intend to release a 4 BEP (albeit it appears to have been pushed into the middle distance, despite, presumably, requiring less new tooling than their all-new 2 HAP due out next year). 

After the warm receptions of Hornby's 2 BIL and 2 HAL (although I am not clear how much of a success commercially they have been), I had hoped they might push the boat out for a 4 SUB, which would fall into similar era modelling, and match their steam/diesel transition dominance. Certainly, the Tri-ang 3 SUB virtual antiques are still commanding high prices on E-buy. If 800 sovs Class 800, or similar, is considered commercially viable, I would have thought a £250 4 car unit price would be too, with a probably decent take up judging from the current popularity of SR 1950's/60's layouts, and the BR Blue corporate version would certainly tempt gullible fools like me, despite it not strictly falling into my era or even geography (especially if I could mash it into a de-icer).

• RMweb Gold

Retools for two of the following: Princess Royal, Rebuilt Merchant Navy, Air-smoothed WC, 8F, Black Five. Probably one SR and one LMS. 

New entry level 0-6-0T to help plug the gaps (and fill production slots) left by the demise of the TTTE range. A GER Buckjumper would be lovely and they can do it in blue. :jester:

All New:

SR, one from: a U or K mogul, a Q Class 0-6-0 or a G6 0-6-0T. 

GWR, a Manor, Bachmann, as with the Lord Nelson, have put off making a better one for far too long and the original seems to have been unavailable for donkey's years.  Can't see Hornby going for a mogul or large prairie unless they were already well underway when Dapol announced theirs.

LMS: something mundane would be nice, maybe a Cauliflower or a Fowler 3MT tank.

LNER: Buckjumper as suggested earlier, maybe something GN, a J6 would do well I'd think, or perhaps a retooled J52 

Industrial: anybody's guess, but definitely something, if only to allow them to rest the Peckett for a year or three.

"Modern" image? Don't know and don't much care unless a Class 120 DMu qualifies..... :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Retooled: Modified (Rebuilt) Merchant Navy (including 5,000 & 5,250gl tenders), Princess Royal, Black 5, Star & Hall.

New tooling's:

Steam: Manor, Saint, Q Class, Leader and an 0-6-0T industrial (Peckett possibly)

D&E: Not sure, but there's always room for a new Class 47 & Class 86.

Coaching Stock: GWR Non-corridor stock, additional coaches for the LMS Period 3, Collett Bow End & Mk.1 Coaches

Freight: Not a clue

• Like 1

Hi I’m interested to know where this photo was taken and what the DMU pictured is. Can you help? Thanks

Hi again,

Thanks for your informative replies to my earlier post further back...

Well, I hope that the steam outline range will remain relatively untouched for next year, maybe just the rebuilt M.N being re-tooled and not much else just for this next year or two...

This will be because a new Diesel & Electric range will be introduced to bring this range in line with the steam range for quality, quantity and Wow! factor.

I wouldn't have a clue what they might release but surely some thought has gone into the newer DMU/EMU/LHCS that has that Wow! factor, Mk5's or Class 375/376/377/378 anybody ?

Or the Class 442 and current VSOE stock for their Class 67's to pull ? I'm sure they will do one of the two Pullman 67's...

Thanks,

Shed.

• Like 1

Having done the GWR thing and then Southern, I would love to see something completely different:

The Highland Railway with Jones Goods, Ben 4-4-0, coaches, wagons and brakes to match. 

For me it would be Wick or Thurso instead of Padstow....Ye take the land road and I'll take the Highland and I'll flow in Scapa a fore ye...

I'll put the Scotch bottle back and return to reality. Perhaps a 1930's Southern 3 Sub with optional fourth carriage to make a 4 Sub. 

• Like 1

Hi,

Do you happen to recall where in the model press was a mention of a retool being carried out on the VEP?.

I only ask in case I could afford VEPs at the new higher prices (and Brexit to come which may reduce sterling for a number of years).

I would like to see an improved VEP maybe with an improved power car mechanism (no traction tyres, more weight, increased torque motor, flywheel?).

Regards

Nick

Hi. It was either Hornby or Rail Express Modeller as they are the only two I read & it was roughly the time of the announcements earlier this year. Unfortunately following a house move a lot of my stuff is still in boxes so I can't be more precise. It didn't elaborate on any details of what was being done though. I would also add it was the only place I saw it mentioned. Edited by steve1023

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I find it hard to guess because:

1) Brexit (April 2019?).

2) It was reported that Hornby had worked out that 90% of their profits came from 50% of their range. They then reportedly cut back on the range of items made. If they make profit from their new releases that analysis can't influence choice of production items forever. Also producing a particular item is not an isolated situation - if there aren't a set of coaches in the same livery as a pair of HST power cars the sales of the power cars is affected. If there is no Railmaster software, sales of E-link will be affected. If there are no train sets there may be less new modellers to buy Hornby items in the future.

3) There have been management changes reported including Simon Kholer re-joining as a consultant. I would hope he will have an eye on warrantee returns including TTS sound chips and careful study of some of the less successful items produced when 'design clever' was being mentioned in the model press.

4) Any effects of the Great Model Railway Challenge TV series.

5) Production of the Hornby Junior.

6) This Christmas's sales and how they break down.

7) Changes in Chinese production and transport.

Regards

Nick

I think you're looking at it too deeply - its only a guessing game, there's no prizes for being correct or not ......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apologies not a steam fan so not going to offer anything (mainly because i don't know anything about them .....)

So, im afraid Hornby fans I'm going to mention the dreaded D word Diesels .....

I dont think Hornby needs to do a new model of any class just cater for the gaping holes that are there with their current Super Detailed models which are actually quite good so i'd look at this :

Class 09 - BR Blue

Class 31 - BR Blue, Original Railfreight, Maybe even one of the oddities like 31413 

Class 56 - BR Blue and Large Logo Examples

Class 60 - DB Cargo Logo 

Class 67 - Other Colas loco and Northern Belle Pullman Liveried 67021/24

Class 87 - Inter City Executive and Caledonian Sleeper 

Simples - just a bit of paint, no new mouldings needed and hey presto - or, how about something really left field - unnumbered BR Blue 31s and 56s ....... oh the potential ......

Over and out.

Ben

• Like 3

I agree, Gloucester class 100 & Chester

Probably about to toddle off to Rock Ferry to meet a Class 503 EMU to Liverpool.

Andy there was a surprise which raised his eyebrows....

The Triang princess is about to make a return.

With plunger or roller pickups?

Feels like H need to gamble.... maybe they need to go for that £500-750 2000 run item that will make 1-1.5m sales and a 50% ebitda margin. Would need to appeal to collectors and rule 1ers. Needs to be “pretty”. Perhaps a 9 coach Coronation Scot sold in boxes of three could do that.

I don’t think a Jxx or other obscure prototype of which non de preserved and no-one under 70 has seen achieves that goal. Possible a W1 or Great Bear. Oo9 doesn’t work - requires people to spend on track and can’t run on existing layout.

However the coach set is iconic and ties to the range. Possibly quicker to shelf/box shifter than a loco

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m not sure the availability of existing tooling is relevant. Didn’t Hornby say some time ago that with different factories being used and moving tooling around between them, that every locomotive now had its own complete set of tooling.

But the CADs can be used to produce another set of tools without going to the cost of re-doing them.

Assuming that the CADs remain with Hornby and aren't kept with the tools themselves.

Keith