Hornby 2019 Speculation

Edge

Retooled: Modified (Rebuilt) Merchant Navy (including 5,000 & 5,250gl tenders), Princess Royal, Black 5, Star & Hall.

New tooling's:

Steam: Manor, Saint, Q Class, Leader and an 0-6-0T industrial (Peckett possibly)

D&E: Not sure, but there's always room for a new Class 47 & Class 86.

Coaching Stock: GWR Non-corridor stock, additional coaches for the LMS Period 3, Collett Bow End & Mk.1 Coaches

Freight: Not a clue

Sysop, Sysop! He mentioned a

gasp, choke,   

(may god forgive me...)

Leader

Given how they have brought out stuff to compete with other brands over the years i wouldnt be suprised to see a class 92. The 121 DMU and 14xx came in previous years as a cheaper alternative to the competitors.

I dont think Hornby have done a blue 08 with sound as yet. 

I cant wait to see what new things they can do with TTS sound. The recent vent van was able to do 3 sounds at one time something normal TTS chips cant do.

I hope they do go back to look at thier train sets. They are vital to get youngsters into the hobby. When i was little i remember having the Kays catologue and drooling over the Flying Scotsman set. Back then sets had a lot of play value. Most sets had some added extras, goods sheds, signals, stations, inclined track supports level crossings loads of stuff. Lots of track and in goods sets plenty of wagons. 

• RMweb Gold

gasp, choke,

(may god forgive me...)

Leader

Aye, 3 versions of it, 36001 working, non-working and 36002 partially built.

36003 will be a motorised chassis, as stored at Bognor shed.

When / where were these eventually scrapped ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Hi I’m interested to know where this photo was taken and what the DMU pictured is. Can you help? Thanks

'My happy student days were drawing to a close when I photographed this Gloucester RCW class 100 dmu with M50358 leading, leaving Chester on 23rd July 1979.'

• RMweb Gold

gasp, choke,   

(may god forgive me...)

Leader

I hadn't noticed that he'd slipped that in, but at least he had the decency not to insert the F word under Diesel and Electric. :jester:  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Feels like H need to gamble.... maybe they need to go for that £500-750 2000 run item that will make 1-1.5m sales and a 50% ebitda margin. Would need to appeal to collectors and rule 1ers. Needs to be “pretty”. Perhaps a 9 coach Coronation Scot sold in boxes of three could do that.

I don’t think a Jxx or other obscure prototype of which non de preserved and no-one under 70 has seen achieves that goal. Possible a W1 or Great Bear. Oo9 doesn’t work - requires people to spend on track and can’t run on existing layout.

However the coach set is iconic and ties to the range. Possibly quicker to shelf/box shifter than a loco

David

The Turbomotive 'Princess' would be a better bet in some respects.  Very left field, nice simple (cheaper to make) running gear, nice livery (for those who like that sort of thing), it's big, could use some existing research and design information already on file, and sell at a premium price.

• Like 2

The Turbomotive 'Princess' would be a better bet in some respects.  Very left field, nice simple (cheaper to make) running gear, nice livery (for those who like that sort of thing), it's big, could use some existing research and design information already on file, and sell at a premium price.

Yes - I could see how that works but outside the real expert community is it well known enough to sell 4000 units at £200?

Oddly I reckon a Silver Jubilee or Coronation Scot set would cost less on toolings (the latter in particular as I think the diagramed weren’t as bespoke as the SJ ones and don’t have the articulation issue) would sell in the same way as the Blue Pullman sold and as a single item make a material chunk of EBIT. If some of those toolings can then be reissued in standard LMS 1930s/40s livery, then so much the better. However to sell to the premium you need to be accurate and for people to think it unique.

David

• Like 1

When in Rome...

Steam

- G&SWR Drummond 403 Class 2-6-0 'Austrian Goods' - there aren't enough 2-6-0 locomotives in Hornby's range so this one has potential. Why, even reusing the James the Red Engine chassis and upgrading it to a more loco-drive version than the tender-drive one.

- LNWR Prince of Wales Class 4-6-0 - it would be nice to see another inner-cylinder 4-6-0 in the range.

- GER Class S69 4-6-0 - a marvellous counterpart to the later version of the class with a Belpaire Firebox and in original Pre-Grouping condition.

Diesel and Modern Image

- BR Class 17 Bo-Bo - we could do with this model in 00 (and I DO MEAN a proper working one than Heljan's not-so-great one).

- BR Class 28 Metrovick Co-Bo - Yes, I know Heljan's got their own version of this model, but then again, why not?

Coaches and Wagons

- Midland Railway Clerestories - we could honestly do with some more Pre-Grouping Coaching stock and wagons.

The Surprising Thing

- Why not ressurect some of the original Tri-ang Space Battle Stuff for the Railroad range or make a train set out of it inspired by the H.G. Wells novel The War of the Worlds? The loco in question would be an 0-4-0 steam locomotive or diesel locomotive painted in silver and have Steampunk style fittings added to it in keeping with the set's theme.

And those are my speculations for Hornby's 2019 range.

Edited by LNWR18901910
  • Like 2

Yes - I could see how that works but outside the real expert community is it well known enough to sell 4000 units at £200?

Often being well known isn't really a valid criteria - all that matters for a large part of the market is does it look good, with bonus interest if it is different than the other models that are already owned.

Often being well known isn't really a valid criteria - all that matters for a large part of the market is does it look good, with bonus interest if it is different than the other models that are already owned.

Also a lot will depend on the advertising skills of Hornby. The way they pushed the DoG and P2 meant that they did a good job in creating the hype. Those were both RailRoad spec models with a high end paint job and Hornby did well enough to do 3 may 4 runs of it. All this with only slight variations in the livery.

They way they drum up sales by portraying these as models that were indeed special played a crucial role

My two penneth for what it is worth - I ususally get to odd bit right rather than lots;

STEAM:

SECR 'D' Class                                    Realistic

P2 (A4 style nose)                               Realistic

850 Lord Nelson in SR Malachite       Realistic - possible club or NRM model

Hush-Hush                                          Fantasy

Caledonian Cardean                           Fantasy

DIESEL:

Class 02                                                           Fantasy

Class 47 (top spec)  BR Blue & Domino          Realistic  

ELECTRIC:

Class 81/82/83/84                                            Fantasy

Class 86/2                                                        Realistic   

COACHES:   

More Mk1's (inc catering vehicles)                                            Realistic  

BR Mk1's (Bullion Van / Cinema Coach)                                  Fantasy    

Collettte Restaurant/Full Brake                                                 Realistic     

LMS Stanier Period 3 corridor stock range expansion             Realistic  

LMS Streamliner Sets (Blue & Silver / Red & Gold)                  Fantasy

LNER Streamliner Sets (Silver / Coronation)                           Fantasy

Caledonian high-spec                                                              Fantasy

WAGONS:

SECR 'Dancehall' Brake                   Realistic

Catfish                                              Realistic

Here's hoping anyway!

If I get a couple of the above right - will be very happy.  

Edited by Opelsi
  • Like 4

I hadn't noticed that he'd slipped that in, but at least he had the decency not to insert the F word under Diesel and Electric. :jester:  

John

What a Fell thought.....

But perhaps they'll do an EE GT3 instead

When in Rome...

Steam

- LNWR Prince of Whales Class 4-6-0 - it would be nice to see another inner-cylinder 4-6-0 in the range.

- GER Class S69 4-6-0 - a marvellous counterpart to the later version of the class with a Belpaire Firebox and in original Pre-Grouping condition.

Diesel and Modern Image

- BR Class 17 Bo-Bo - we could do with this model in 00 (and I DO MEAN a proper working one than Heljan's not-so-great one).

- BR Class 28 Metrovick Co-Bo - Yes, I know Heljan's got their own version of this model, but then again, why not?

Coaches and Wagons

- Midland Railway Clerestories - we could honestly do with some more Pre-Grouping Coaching stock and wagons.

The Surprising Thing

- Why not ressurect some of the original Tri-ang Space Battle Stuff for the Railroad range or make a train set out of it inspired by the H.G. Wells novel The War of the Worlds? The loco in question would be an 0-4-0 steam locomotive or diesel locomotive painted in silver and have Steampunk style fittings added to it in keeping with the set's theme.

And those are my speculations for Hornby's 2019 range.

Hmmmmm....  "Prince of Whales" sounds like a dystopian, post global warming flood epic, but I'd like to see the much maligned Claughton, and perhaps a George V too.

I don't think Hornby should touch either the Class 17 or the Class 28. Imagine the derision if they made a mess of either, and the last time a 28 carried the name "Hornby" it was one of the least successful models the old company ever produced.  A surprise yes, sensible no!

Battlespace?  YES!  DCC TTS controlled exploding vans, rocket and satellite launchers and searchlight trucks!  And a "jet" Turbo Ramming Car with TTS sound too!

Hmmmmm....  "Prince of Wales" sounds like a dystopian, post global warming flood epic, but I'd like to see the much maligned Claughton, and perhaps a George V too.

I don't think Hornby should touch either the Class 17 or the Class 28. Imagine the derision if they made a mess of either, and the last time a 28 carried the name "Hornby" it was one of the least successful models the old company ever produced.  A surprise yes, sensible no!

Echo that about the Clayton and the Metrovick.  

How could Hornby directors convince their board that it would be a good idea to lash out half a million on a brand new copy of these ?

I don't have either of the Heljan locos, but are they really that crummy ? 

If we are going the LMS route of "never before dones" why not an "Austin 7" Fowler 0-8-0 ? Yes I know it is a lack of livery variation.

A Claughton would be a really nice addition to the range - a namer too.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Froth list from Fantasy Island (Or one mile from 52A to be precise ) :

GW :

Tanner Oner ...61XX

Hawksworth County as already frothed

GW suburban coaches

Slip coach

SR:

Wainwright D as already frothed

U class Mogul

ER:

B16

A2/2

LMR

Retooled Lizzie for PMR Trust

Well I would love a set of both Silver Jubilee coaches with beaver tail and Coronation Scot.....bearing in mind that both of these did have an afterlife in BR days...the latter with the North Wales Land Cruise of the early 1950’s...remember that?

• RMweb Gold

How could Hornby directors convince their board that it would be a good idea to lash out half a million on a brand new copy of these ?

If we are going the LMS route of "never before dones" why not an "Austin 7" Fowler 0-8-0 ? Yes I know it is a lack of livery variation.

A Claughton would be a really nice addition to the range - a namer too.

I have couple of Metrovicks, they are great models :scratchhead:  :scratchhead: no need for more duplication

Mike

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Page 7 already - with 3 weeks to go!

It's been interesting to watch and see the comments made for various GWR items.... so for what its worth, this is my list of "this will be good to see in 2019!"

Steam: 

New GWR Pannier tank to replace their very old 2721 loco - although they might consider Panniers are the domain of Bachmann these days.

GWR Saint - that was suggested earlier and could be in with a chance as the GWS new Saint is likely to steam in 2019/20.

Railmotor - could they upset Kernow and steam ahead with a Railmotor? Already scanned; here are the CADS; and surprise us all with their first EP? Or of course, it could be in conjunction with Kernow, but they are going to take the bull by the horns and bring it to market.

Hall - Could we see the GWR Hall relaunched, but taking away the design clever items and doing it properly?

Carriages:

A lot of people have already suggested GWR carriages. Whilst it's tempting to say "Toplights" I shall avoid this year :-)

1. Collet restaurant carriage to match the recently released Collet stock - I would say there is a pretty good chance, based on their Maunsell restaurant carriage.

2. K21 Full Brake

The first two I would say stand a higher chance of appearing, rather than a set of new carriages, but I wouldn't say no to some non-Corridor stock.

Autotrailer - The Hornby one / ex-Airfix is very long in the tooth - could this be the year it's updated?

Siphons - There are so many to choose from

Diesels:

The GWR Gas turbine

Swindon cross country DMU

To be honest, I don't fancy either, but I seem to recall they do well in the polls.

But then, will they wade in with a GWR Streamlined railcar? No21 has been around for ages, will they revise it and maybe do it as a 3 car set? - There was a comment about wanting to get into the High Street more with train sets, that would certainly work. 37 & 38 with a Collet carriage in the middle. (They were different carriages, but for the High St a Collet carriage all 3rd would work)

On that theme, I suspect we will see new locos and carriages in fixed / boxed sets. Pretty much like the King and Collets "Bristolian".

Wagons:

Just get rid of all the train set huge couplings on wagons that appear under the "NEW!" banner would be an improvement - NEM on all wagons, would be a step in the right direction.

The Surprise:

Some items in the announcement are not only at the CAD stage, but have already progressed to the EP stage and "item X" is almost finished and due on your layout in 3 months....

Plus, its widely suggested earlier Hornby have also gone into 009 and will announce a range of locos and coaches.... If it was the Talyllyn, i would be adding 009 to my stock!

Would we see more lights in carriages, or people? or will we see their DCC TTS decoder range expanded as has also been suggested

I suspect in some areas I am wide of the mark, but hopefully I have got it right on a few items, particularly the carriages.

Edited by Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold

David

I'd always thought the Turomotive was a good bet for Railroad in the same way they baulked at doing a full fat Crosti 9F for £200. IIRC the Crosti was well received.

I'd always thought the Turomotive was a good bet for Railroad in the same way they baulked at doing a full fat Crosti 9F for £200. IIRC the Crosti was well received.

Maybe. The point of my posts was to highlight that if they want to gamble, they need something that’s relatively cheap to produce but could sell a large volume and make a material dent in their £3m pa losses. Hence an item priced into the collector market bracket where people will spend several hundred pounds in a single throw and where the volumes could enough to make more money.

So if they profitably produce a single coach at the £4-50 mark, eg the Maunsell restaurant car, a rake of 7 car Silver jubilee could plausibly retail at a slight premium say £400. (And I reckon you could push that higher given there is some price inelasticity) Having the 8th car available at £75 a throw might help cream off some extra much needed profits. Add on an reissue of Silver Fox (surely everyone’s favourite??) and boost sales off an existing tooling. Again priced at a profitable rrp of £175.

Maybe another blue sky idea would be a broad gauge see. Pretty locos and coaches and would appeal to collectors. But the problem with that is that it’s not an extension to your existing layout and as such may not sell to rule 1ers who probably own a Blue Pullman...

That doesn’t mean a railroad turbomltive wouldn’t sell or wouldn’t be profitable and couldn’t be a pretty loco, I just don’t think it would be sufficiently material to change the game for Hornby.

• Like 1

No thanks. Either they should go all the way, ie do a fully detailed model, or not at all on a loco like Turbomotive. What works for a Flying Scotsman or Mallard wouldn't work in this case.

• RMweb Gold

Froth list from Fantasy Island (Or one mile from 52A to be precise ) :

GW :

Tanner Oner ...61XX

Hawksworth County as already frothed

GW suburban coaches

Slip coach

SR:

Wainwright D as already frothed

U class Mogul

ER:

B16

A2/2

LMR

Retooled Lizzie for PMR Trust

Well I would love a set of both Silver Jubilee coaches with beaver tail and Coronation Scot.....bearing in mind that both of these did have an afterlife in BR days...the latter with the North Wales Land Cruise of the early 1950’s...remember that?

I refer sir to post 119 on this page of the thread (where I was not specific but imply much the same) -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140359-Hornby-2019-speculation/page-5

Does anyone else read this thread the way I do. Quickly passing over those suggestions that don't reflect my own modelling interests. Rejoicing at those that do, as if the more people that agree with me make it more likely that particular model will be released.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, Sunday morning, and a bit of whimsy.

Just a while back, I mentioned a re-tooled Dean single, so can I add a few more?

Peckett in (yet) another livery.

Austerity in (yet) another livery.

61xx tank with some titivation.

Some wagons in fictitious liveries. 

Coaches? Most probably, but I don't know enough.

New? Well, how about this?  I'd put money on a 6-wheel Peckett.

Cheers,

Ian.

I am a D&E BR blue modeller, so these suggestions are not personal wish listing by me.

Steam.

A turbomotive would be a good idea. Could be done like the cock o the north, somewhere between railroad and full fat version.

A release as a collectors set of a A4 , eg silver fox with a set of matching coaches as a limited edition.

And another 0-6-0 small tender engine. Those released so far have had good comments and appear to have sold well.

Diesels & electrics.

A model of the electrostar family of units, lots around, many colours, plenty of scope for new models, and simple tooling needed, like what was done with the 153. After all there is not a lot of external separate detail to be applied. And if done correctly with the tooling, could even make the new GW green 387 ( Hornby do like their modern GW models, and goes well with both the HST and IEP)

A new classic DMU, either the 123 inter city or the 124 transpennine units. Done to the same spec as the present DMU models, could be brought to market at a reasonable price, if lacking in detail, so some would complain. But is there enough of a market to support high end and the high price DMU? The Bachmann forthcoming model of the suburban DMU will answer that question.

A nice small diesel shunter. The 02 has been mentioned. Would be a good model, and could be used as a free lance industrial version. The sentenal shunter proved they can make a small 4 wheeled diesel shunter at a agood price, and would be perfect for a train set.

Coaches.

A odd ball suggestion but would give a USP, how about some LNER articulated suburban coaches, to go with the Oxford rail N7.

Off the wall suggestion.

Seeing as how well the IEP has been received, how about the 180 DMU, to the same kind of spec and price. And they have had multiple liveries in their short lives.

Diesel and Modern Image

We have this model in OO, Heljan's perfectly decent representation works after the successful model recall, and is still being issued (more releases imminent) so that makes no commercial sense that would pass scrutiny - what exactly is not so great about the Hejlan version?

As for the 28 - why not?  Well for a start the Hattons-Heljan model is very good, it is still available, it's a small and not very widespread or long-lived prototype class, and Heljan has pretty good track record for this niche type.  There can't be much pent up demand for either the 17 or the 28 now. 

What a Fell thought.....

But perhaps they'll do an EE GT3 instead

I did ironically list The Fell a few posts back, it might keep some deviants happy. 

GT3 is being touted by KR Models, so that's unlikely now.

The 17 is modelled perfectly well by the Danes, and the Hatjan Co-Bo has probably satisfied that rather limited market, so these are to put it mildly, non-starters.

It wouldn't be a good idea, it would be as appropriate as Volvo bringing back the DAF44.

I don't have the 28, but I have twenty-odd Claytons and they can't be described as crummy unless you've never handled and operated one, and have no clue as to what they're actually like.

• Like 2