Hornby 2019 Speculation

Edge

I'll add my bit of froth to foamy mass...

If Hornby want a small, "affordable"* trainset (ish) 0-4-0 with some previous Hornby form, then the Class 06 shunter is in desperate need of a modern standards model. If you could get the balance right between it being able to be Railroaded (in a variety of fictitious liveries in addition to the basics) and being main range enough I'd think you'd have a winner for Hornby.

*your value of affordable may vary

[edit - doh! it's not an 0-6-0 is it...]

Edited by frobisher
  • Like 1

Oh and my 4mm prediction is the Princess Royal, after the success of the retooled Princess Coronation. Complemented by the one off 6202 Turbomotive - just to keep it interesting!

This one seems to be a bit of a recurring theme right through the thread, and I'd agree it's a bit of a no-brainer for Hornby-with the Coronation redone in both unstreamlined and 'bathtub' versions, I'd be amazed if the Princess doesn't follow sometimes in the next year or two- it holds a pretty iconic place in the history of the Hornby range, right back to Horny O-gauge in the 30's, and the roots of Triang in OO, and Hornby do like their big express locos.

'Turbo' as well would just be the icing on the cake, and presumably a bit of clever tooling design could make both possible. IIRC (and without the benefit of digging out reference books) there's a fair bit of detail variation across a small class of a dozen locos which could give Hornby's designers some fun - wasn't the boiler on the 'prototype' batch (Princess Royal, Elizabeth and 'Turbo') different to those on the later build?

Edited by Invicta

• RMweb Gold

"This one seems to be a bit of a recurring theme right through the thread, and I'd agree it's a bit of a no-brainer for Hornby-with the Coronation redone in both unstreamlined and 'bathtub' versions, I'd be amazed if the Princess doesn't follow sometimes in the next year or two- it holds a pretty iconic place in the history of the Hornby range, right back to Horny O-gauge in the 30's, and the roots of Triang in OO, and Hornby do like their big express locos.

'Turbo' as well would just be the icing on the cake, and presumably a bit of clever tooling design could make both possible. IIRC (and without the benefit of digging out reference books) there's a fair bit of detail variation across a small class of a dozen locos which could give Hornby's designers some fun - wasn't the boiler on the 'prototype' batch (Princess Royal, Elizabeth and 'Turbo') different to those on the later build?

Lots of differences between the first two prototypes and the production batch..........for such a small class they are an absolute minefield in terms of detail.

Mike

Edited by ikks
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We have this model in OO, Heljan's perfectly decent representation works after the successful model recall, and is still being issued (more releases imminent) so that makes no commercial sense that would pass scrutiny - what exactly is not so great about the Hejlan version?

As for the 28 - why not?  Well for a start the Hattons-Heljan model is very good, it is still available, it's a small and not very widespread or long-lived prototype class, and Heljan has pretty good track record for this niche type.  There can't be much pent up demand for either the 17 or the 28 now. 

I did ironically list The Fell a few posts back, it might keep some deviants happy. 

GT3 is being touted by KR Models, so that's unlikely now.

The 17 is modelled perfectly well by the Danes, and the Hatjan Co-Bo has probably satisfied that rather limited market, so these are to put it mildly, non-starters.

It wouldn't be a good idea, it would be as appropriate as Volvo bringing back the DAF44.

I don't have the 28, but I have twenty-odd Claytons and they can't be described as crummy unless you've never handled and operated one, and have no clue as to what they're actually like.

I have two 28's.....very good models.

Agree absolutely...........waste of resource

Mike

Edited by ikks

I'm sure this thread will raise a few smiles at Hornby's command bunker tomorrow morning. Whatever's announced it's been in the works for a year or two but I'm blowed if I can remember what we were frothing about then.

A few thoughts

An all new Class 06 0-4-0 shunter

long shot - An SR bodied 2-EPB.

v. long shot - all new 27XX pannier

Something in transit, possibly duplicating someone else's announcement.

Stu

My punt in the dark - and very much head over heart here...

3 Steam Locos

- Stephenson's Rocket

- NER J27 or B16 (50/50 toss up)

- GWR Manor or Saint (50/50 toss up)

2 D&E

- Something crying out to be done between Classes 01 and 92 (I don't have a clue about D&E!)

- A DMU/EMU crying out to be done (see above!)

2 Coaching Stock

- LMS Dining Car (of any period)

- Liverpool and Manchester 1st class Roofed and 3rd class open carriages (to go with Rocket)

2/3 Wagons & Freight

- GWR Siphon G (inside and outside framed variants)

- An idiosyncratic wagon of another Big 4 company- perhaps an NER/LNER Hopper, Southern Seacow Hopper, LMS Fish Van or general open van

2 Accessories

- Working turntable to modern standards - 'dynamic tooling' to allow for both a Cowans Sheldon and Ransomes & Rapier version

- Something 'gimmicky but popular' a la the TTS Sound vent vans. Perhaps Mk1 coaches with 'hologram' passengers?

I'd be genuinely surprised if at least a few of those above don't appear. Some of my logic for the above is: 

Locos

- An LMS Princess Class is due for retool but due to the sheer amount of newly released LMS express passenger power released by Hornby of late I think they'll give LMS/MR modelers wallets a rest. The Princess will be announced in 2020/2021

- Who wouldn't want a working model of Rocket to 21st Century RTR standards? Add to the fact that Paul Isles name dropped that he had spent a lot of time in Newcastle over the last year or so, and I can think only of the original Rocket that has been the only steam loco within Newcastle city limits. 

- Rumours of the preserved J27 being scanned by more than one manufacturer over the last 18 months won't go away, and this would be a stablemate for Hornby's Q6 and K1. Also the J27 is prime 'commissioner territory' (Rails, TMC etc) and so Hornby will want to beat them to the punch. The B16 however would give the Hornby stable a genuine NER express passenger loco that was long lived, wore quite a few liveries, and got about a bit geographically. 

- Hornby haven't released a new tool GWR loco for quite a while - probably last being the King back in 2014? Every man and his dog know that the Manor is ripe for the plucking to modern standards, many are preserved, they are attractive 'namers' and would no doubt sell. Would also follow on from the Lord Nelson and would twist the knife on Barwell. The Saint also seems to make a lot of sense, given that the preserved new build is on the verge of steaming, they were very attractive locos that can wear a lot of liveries, and would almost complete Hornby's monopoly on the GWR 4-6-0 family tree. With the Manor and Saint it will be either/or, with the one missing out following in 2 years time. 

- No new Southern or LMS locos as perception tells me that they have had all the joy with new locos over the last couple of years. 

Coaches

- Hornby will eventually get around to producing a dining/buffet car to modern standards for each of the big 4, but my gut tells me that the LMS will be the next to benefit, given the plethora of new LMS express passenger locos of late. It might even be a retool of the venerable PII 12-wheel dining car of Mainline provenance. 

- L&M coaches are a no-brainer to accompany Rocket. Again, who wouldn't want these?!

Wagons

- You can never have too many GWR siphons, and the inside framed versions were long lived, wore many liveries, and got all over the country in newspaper trains and as 'ENPARTS' vans. Hornby will give these the same treatment as the SR 'Van B' and they will be superb. 

- Hornby seem to announce one new wagon tool per year, alternating between the big 4, and have done this for around a decade know. I'm thinking of: GWR Horsebox, GWR/LMS milk tankers, LMS CCT, LNER CCT, LMS Horsebox, GWR Shunters Truck, LMS Coke Hoppers, Southern Cattle Van etc. In terms of brake vans, they'll give us a rest after a couple of years of GWR toads and LNER toads. A retooled LMS 20t standard brake van could come out of the left field however - a 30% chance. 

Accessories

- Turntables would be headline grabbing, and will be the new 'must have'. Will also replace the antediluvian version in the current range. A premium product, premium price, will RRP at around £200 - £250

- Hornby like their tech and will follow up the TTS sound van with something else quirky. It may not be popular with the purists but whatever it is, it will sell. 

CoY

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some open goal rolling stock:

LMS Period 3 driving trailer - rather dull but an easy development from the existing and equally rather dull period 3 brake third; Hornby haven't a suitable loco but Bachmann must have sold loads and show no signs of filling the niche they have created. As suggested above, there are still candidate locos if H want one of their own - I'd suggest one of the class 3 2-6-2T types rather than pre-grouping.

BR welded and rebodied variants of the 21t hopper; they already have the underframe and most of the body of the latter in the form of the Tope.

LMS wagons, as previously suggested several times in this thread; particularly the fitted types on the LMS clasp-braked underframe which has never been available rtr, and was also used under the BR steel medfit previously suggested (and a Tri-ang veteran). The problem here is that Hornby's new wagons, whilst very good, have been rather haphazard. They've shown no inclination to develop a range of similar vehicles, as Bachmann have with LNER fitted types.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Stephensons Rocket, blimey didn’t see that one... does that mean my 00 Triang set with coaches will be replaced?

San Pareil anyone?

In all seriousness, it’s interesting to see the consensus amongst the posts.

• Like 2

Stephensons Rocket, blimey didn’t see that one... does that mean my 00 Triang set with coaches will be replaced?

San Pareil anyone?

In all seriousness, it’s interesting to see the consensus amongst the posts.

Always amazed the Hornby did not bring back rocket for the NRM. Potential tourist sales are off the scale.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

Hmmm...

I'll stick to steam here.

Within weeks we are to be getting a Class C/J36. All on its lonesome ownsome or are Hornby looking for something to accompany it? One locomotive does not a trainset make.

A re-tooled Class D/J83 would go nicely - or indeed any other Scottish 0-6-0T - Hornby's well-known penchant for big beasties means that they are generally lacking in shunters

Come to that a re-tooled Caley 264 puggie to the same standard as the Peckett would be be nice - and fatal to my bank account.

Something strange and exotic?

Dunno, but I'd suspect something pre-grouping.

As to wagons, its always worth looking at what's available in N gauge but not in 00

• Like 1

+1 for the idea of "Stephenson's Rocket"....I really hope Hornby are working on a highly detailed version of it!

Probably one of the world's most famous steam locomotives along with the Flying Scotsman, Mallard and Big Boy

And once done in HO for everyone else, they could do it in 4mm... Because they'd leave an open goal if not.

(I have perverse desire for something similar in just-prior-to-scrapping weathered black(?) it has to be said.)

• RMweb Gold

Probably one of the world's most famous steam locomotives along with the Flying Scotsman, Mallard and Big Boy

Nice to see Hornby make all three lol.

As I modelled US railroads including steam loco’s over many years, it never amazes me when ill informed see a US articulated loco and instantly assume it’s a “Big Boy”. There was only 25 built, all for the Union Pacific and towards the end of steam building in the 1940’s. Had the Second World War not started, it’s probable they wouldn’t have been built.

Nice to see Hornby make all three lol.

As I modelled US railroads including steam loco’s over many years, it never amazes me when ill informed see a US articulated loco and instantly assume it’s a “Big Boy”. There was only 25 built, all for the Union Pacific and towards the end of steam building in the 1940’s. Had the Second World War not started, it’s probable they wouldn’t have been built.

Oh yes, a lot of my customers ask for a Big Boy to be made for them. A lot of them send me pictures of anything but a Big Boy.

Hmmm...

I'll stick to steam here.

Within weeks we are to be getting a Class C/J36. All on its lonesome ownsome or are Hornby looking for something to accompany it? One locomotive does not a trainset make.

A re-tooled Class D/J83 would go nicely - or indeed any other Scottish 0-6-0T - Hornby's well-known penchant for big beasties means that they are generally lacking in shunters

Come to that a re-tooled Caley 264 puggie to the same standard as the Peckett would be be nice - and fatal to my bank account.

Something strange and exotic?

Dunno, but I'd suspect something pre-grouping.

As to wagons, its always worth looking at what's available in N gauge but not in 00

Only problem with the Caley pug is that people will see the outline, recognise that its "Smokey Joe" and throw their hands up in horror at the perceived price-hike!  It'd be nice if Hornby did do a proper Pug to include the butchered old wagon they used to run around with, with the weeks coal supply.

Or they could get around that by doing a tiny contractors engine.

I have heard rumours about Hornby doing the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway from somewhere else. It is fairly close to Margate and the Hornby H class ran close to the miniature railway at Greatstone and New Romney.

Hornby might make a new model of 'The Princess Royal' in British Railways crimson lake because it will be 60 years since Hornby made their first one.

Another useful accessory would be a return of their electrically operated gate and barrier level crossings and their crossing keeper's hut.

Regarding the ‘off the wall’ suggestions has anyone thought that we may be seeing a live steam oo gauge engine? I seem to recall that Hornby did a live steam A4 about 20 years ago and possibly consider the time is right to reintroduce it suitably updated

• RMweb Premium

I have heard rumours about Hornby doing the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Railway from somewhere else. It is fairly close to Margate and the Hornby H class ran close to the miniature railway at Greatstone and New Romney.

If Hornby produces any RHDR prototypes, I wonder what scale they'll use.

• RMweb Premium

What about an LNER V4 2-6-2?

They’ve already got the back half of it sorted. And there’s a new build project in the offing.

Bear in mind that their P2 was delivered around the time Prince of Wales 2007 was announced.

The V4 is a ‘pretty’ loco (IMHO) and may well be something with a long term future worth investing in?

• Like 1

It has been mentioned a few times about the live steam range. I wonder if you could do it but at a lower track voltage, so making it compatible with DCC? Also, I think it would be good to expand it, a live steam DCC compatible big boy for the US market (hell, I would have one, or even a garret).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

What about an LNER V4 2-6-2?

They’ve already got the back half of it sorted. And there’s a new build project in the offing.

Bear in mind that their P2 was delivered around the time Prince of Wales 2007 was announced.

The V4 is a ‘pretty’ loco (IMHO) and may well be something with a long term future worth investing in?

The Gresley K4 would be much more useful. Could they use the K1 chassis? (Ok it may be several inches out here and there, but at 1/76 is that going to be significant: I know Bachmann's K3 chassis is a better fit, but they haven't risen to do the K4).

At least the K4 ran in several liveries, on the characterful West Highland line, and they were named - they have lots going for them as a model.

John Storey

Steam - don’t care.

Diesel - class 31, oh er...

Cynically I’m expecting some more random one off liveries on modern diesels

Well, that fits the minimum investment maximum return model, but there is a lot of enthusiasm coming from Hornby, so there maybe more on Jan 7.