Hornby 2019 Speculation

Edge

Oh well what the **** .....My 2 pennyworth for an optimistic year

Steam

New one of following - GER/LNER/BR J67/69, or GN/LNER/BR J6, but see OTW below

Updates one of following - LMS/MR 2P 4-4-0 with choice of tenders, or (less likely ) the J52, or SR L1. (latter dates me !!)

Modern

One of new(ish) EMUs/DMUs – e.g. Class 195/331 in 2/3 or 4 car sets as appropriate

Coaches

Restaurant 3rd Open for Western Region

LMS/BR catering Car that was in common use throughout LMR and beyond to replace 12 wheel one - must be one !!

Or really pushing my luck here a set of LNER teak corridors which do not get the profilers so worked up that I can buy them w/o feeling guilty :tease: (may be that last should also be in OTW below)

Goods stock

Engineering wagon – New traditional one of  Catfish, Grampus, or Mermaid

Re-introduced Seacow

General use wagons – a traditional PO fuel tank wagon totally updated

More container types for use with the newer wagons

Off the wall

- A limited edition Wainwright D in conjunction with NRM in glorious Technicolor with an alternative top to cover the D1/E1 class in SR/BR days

–a load of reliveries and production slips with a subtle contraction of the catalogue which fools no-one.  (Got to have one Scrooge thought in a Xmas mix !! :jester:)

• Like 3

Class 87 new executive livery version with half grey wrap around fronts and original MU cables and central head light. 

Mk2e coaches fettled to remove the visible solebars - the 3 bulb lighting bars brought up to Bachmann Mk2f standards.

ScotRail Mk3s

Inter-City Executive Mk3s silver framed windows.

I'm fairly certain of a Princess Royal Class because of hints dropped by Paul Isles and I think there was something in one of the magazines about it being measured.  Paul Isles has also posted photos of the LSWR T3 and on the day of the announcement last year he put a picture of the Bluebell Carriage works with something about starting work on next year already.  He also put a photo up of a GWR mink van the other week.

On that basis, I'm nearly certain of the Princess Royal.

The A1/A3 that the stationmaster alluded to is also a good bet given the clue in the advert.

I previously guessed LBSCR coaches but I'd like to change that to an LNWR observation car that's also at the Bluebell.

If not this year, then next year for a T3.

Also, wasn't there some clue about a tanner onner in one of the videos?  A large prairie despite Dapol also having released one?

An expansion of one of the existing coach ranges.

Most of those aren't particularly out-there though.  A few people have mentioned Rocket and that would certainly be eyebrow raising!

Not going to attempt guessing the diesels/electrics as I know little about them.

Edited by GWR8700
  • Like 1

Every year I write that it's about time Hornby did one of the big Southern tanks as they have done so for the LNER, LMS and GWR. So once again I'll say G16 or H16 or perhaps even the Z class.

The SECR D is a very real possibility. It's sort of now taken on the same status that the Adams Radial enjoyed in the past. While on the subject of that, it's ready to appear in some new liveries.

It would be nice to see something like a W or a Z. I wonder if maybe they'll look at going with something like the Q instead though, as they already have the tooling for the tender? I'm crossing my fingers for more livery options for the Lord Nelson and the Original condition Merchant navy (read: Malachite and post war condition)

I'm sure there have been rumours flying around of the SECR D having been measured previously, and with the success of the H class in full SECR livery it's more likely now than ever (i think). It would surely be a welcome announcement, especially with the Birdcage stock on the market (and surely only set to be discounted further than they have been).

Malachite H2 would be n- oops, wrong thread...

• Like 1

Predictions 

Lots of froth - i want this, they ought to do this, that or the other

Excitement by some, others they should have done this, there is nothing for me, 

The detail is not good enough

Its too expensive

:no:  

You missed out-

I will buy 10 of them

Followed by

I am not buying that, one of the rivets is 0,000004mm too high

By the same poster.

• RMweb Gold

Duplication, in a market place as small as that in the UK, rarely benefits either maker. Given their situation, I very much doubt that Hornby would go head-to-head with Dapol over a GWR large prairie, unless one was already in development and "beyond the point of no return" (i.e. too much of the money was already spent) when that was announced.

I think Hornby are (possibly deservingly) seeing the consequences of relying on "no competition" to persevere with the ex-Airfix model well beyond its natural span. They simply "left the door open" far too long, just as they have with the Terrier, and as Bachmann did with the BR4 4-6-0, the B1, the Lord Nelson, the GW mogul, and (probably) the Manor.

The Manor and Saint are much "safer" GWR subjects for Hornby, and fit better with their traditional "named engine" preferences.  

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but the prime targets had become glaringly obvious long before anyone jumped on any of them.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

An GE/LNER E4 to go alongside the J15 would be good. Lasted until the end years. Hornby have already got the basic tender behind the J15.

Izzy

Having the tender already doesn't mean that it's easier to make another model.

It would be nice to see something like a W or a Z. I wonder if maybe they'll look at going with something like the Q instead though, as they already have the tooling for the tender? I'm crossing my fingers for more livery options for the Lord Nelson and the Original condition Merchant navy (read: Malachite and post war condition)

I'm sure there have been rumours flying around of the SECR D having been measured previously, and with the success of the H class in full SECR livery it's more likely now than ever (i think). It would surely be a welcome announcement, especially with the Birdcage stock on the market (and surely only set to be discounted further than they have been).

Malachite H2 would be n- oops, wrong thread...

Once again having the tooling for a tender doesn't necessarily mean that it's much easier to make another locomotive Edited by MGR Hooper!

If we was going to go for the bluebell angle I would say the SECR O1 because it’s small, pretty and very long lived. Also it’s 0-6-0 that also wore a livery other then black. I think a Q or U will come at some point because Hornby like to do a family of engines. But the U is more of a minefield of detail differences then the Q. I still think we are most likely going to the a Princess Royal or D class.

Big James

• Like 1

The early postings on this thread stated "eyebrow raising" as opposed to contemporary models.

Here are my  "eyebrow raisers"

1) Romney Hythe & Dymchurch scaled to fit OO track (replacing Thomas and  thinking of the play value of such for children)

2) A prototype diesel, electric, or steam loco which was designed and drawn up but cancelled or abandoned without any examples being built.

3)  A  "Drivers point of view" loco with a camera in the cab front to relay video back to a tablet

4) An Edwardian era Electric loco.

5)  with reference  to 2)  outline drawings of the 1945 LNER diesel-electric fleet have  been found.

Edited by Pandora

Having the tender already doesn't mean that it's easier to make another model.

Once again having the tooling for a tender doesn't necessarily mean that it's much easier to make another locomotive

However, it means that they can concentrate on the loco, and with well received GER express and goods engines, a mixed traffic loco, like the T26/E4, would round out their offerings AND could be presented in a wide range of liveries!

We'll just have to wait and see. :jester:

• Like 3

Re-releasing "Rocket" to commemorate the 190th anniversary of the Rainhill Trials seems a bit tempting, given that by the time Rainhill 200 comes around most of the big grey-pound spenders will have ceased to be and the future financial prospects for those still in work look grim, so I can't help but think it must be a shoo-in.  As for the "out there" offer, I wonder if the large scale water boiling "Rocket" might be resurrected, possibly with some form of radio control?

Unless the real out-there project is a complete set of Rainhill competitors including animatronic nag on the treadmill.

• Like 1

Hi,

OO Steam: Small tank loco and Larger Big Four Tender loco.

OO Diesel/Electric: Small Diesel Shunter (probably industrial).

Coaches and wagons: Not sure about coaches - maybe a true pre-war design - two types only to be announced.

Wagons - random wagon possibly of simple prototype to enable railroad and 'fun' versions to be produced.

Surprising item: Based on another post elsewhere on this forum Loco Detection finally pencilled in for release but with more modern technology.

Regards

Nick

I previously guessed LBSCR coaches but I'd like to change that to an LNWR observation car that's also at the Bluebell.

Not impossible as the Pullman Observation Car is on an LNWR chassis ................................ and, interestingly, LNWR bogies are sufficiently similar to LBSCR ones that the Bluebell used a pair ( plus chassis ) under their Brigton First .......... hmmmm ................

I think Hornby are (possibly deservingly) seeing the consequences of relying on "no competition" to persevere with the ex-Airfix model well beyond its natural span

Not necessarily. For example if Hornby came up with an up-to-date "traditionally" powered 14XX then they'd benefit from a broader spread of potential buyers plus those who have hesitated over the alternative.

Stu

However, it means that they can concentrate on the loco, and with well received GER express and goods engines, a mixed traffic loco, like the T26/E4, would round out their offerings AND could be presented in a wide range of liveries!

We'll just have to wait and see. :jester:

The problem with the larger GER goods engines - anything larger than a J15 - is their extremely long wheelbase which wouldn't take kindly to first radius curves !

Not necessarily. For example if Hornby came up with an up-to-date "traditionally" powered 14XX then they'd benefit from a broader spread of potential buyers plus those who have hesitated over the alternative.

Stu

That would be good but I fancy Hornby would think it too risky as so many people will already have got the Hatton’s or Railroad one. My guesses are usually wrong. I hope this one is.

I do not have a clue.

Don't know if Hornby do DMUs, but if they did, a Swindon 3-car Cross-Country (Class 120) would be a delight. Covers both BR green

and blue periods.

Totally second the Swindon Cross Country unit in it's many guises.  My preferred would be 1960s SYP green without headcode boxes, but this proves the stumbling block of produces the "SCC" - variations on what many see as a standard design.

• Like 1

For the surprise - the Leader. It polls well , has a very high profile, is Southern and therefore "home team" . As things like Lion (the diesel, not the 0-4-2) and GT3 have proved viable - why not? Someone will ultimately do it, and Hornby have done things like the P2

Other possible surprises - a Johnson Spinner : Hornby have form with bogie Singles, the Stirling Single is selling, there's a preserved example to scan and they survived until 1928 . And they are utterly beautiful ...   You can even run them sensibly on short trains, and coaches are available from Ratio - see here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/30999-lincoln-st-marks-engine-shed/&do=findComment&comment=1624075

Steam: A GW Saint seems very reasonable , and some species of the genus Buckjumper (J67/J68/J69) would be plausible. The GW pannier needs addressing at some point

Coaches - a retooled B set: the much requested non-gangwayed GW , requires one set of tooling but purchasers buy two of them. Maybe a couple of clerestories , of types that survived past 1950. If MR coaches for the Spinner were required, late MR corridor designs . Or - radical thinking - a revisit of the CR Grampians for Scottish modellers?

D+E:  Pickings are very thin now . A new low density DMU ? Either the 104/110 , or possibly 120

Oh well what the **** .....My 2 pennyworth for an optimistic year  Snip

Goods stock

Engineering wagon – New traditional one of  Catfish, Grampus, or Mermaid

Grampus by Dapol and Mermaid by Footplate leaves the Catfish as an excellent choice from steam era right through to mid 1980s. 

As someone on the London Midland region i remember lotsa Catfish.  sometime sprinkled in with dogfish, sometimes with a couple Sealions too. Fond memories of seeing hopper trains to and from Guide Bridge and Dewsnap going through Shrewsbury to Bayston Hill quarry with class 40 power.

Yes Catfish in Gulf red, black or olive, and maybe did any receive "Dutch yellow and grey ? 

And to illustrate my thoughts

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125517107@N02/14889928475/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125517107@N02/14886805991  yes there were "Dutch" Catfish !!!

Edited by Covkid

So, I do have thoughts about the direction of Hornby, but think that they will be going for new items that can claw back areas and bring in cash for the balance sheet. I am also cautious over some remarks over 'real surprises', as this could just be the choice of new products and all depends on what you perceive to be your interest and your expectations.

As a result my guesses are;

Steam:

NER B16 - I think following the Q6, that Ravens mixed traffic loco is right up Hornby's territory. Mixed traffic, can be done in different liveries - also think that like the Hornby P2, it can be designed to be done as a different variation later. Have to be honest but the also ran was the J21/25 on the back of the J36 release...

LNER P2/2 - With the A4 style frontage, its a quicker win and will cost less as the chassis and tender are already done. Limited in liveries but should still prove popular.

GWR MANOR - The mixed traffic Western machine is looking for a retool. It would match some of the other Western things that Hornby have done recently.

Diesel / Electric

A lot of possibilities in pushing for Class 91, especially given all the popular liveries of Battle of Britain / For the Fallen / Flying Scotsman / 91119 Intercity would add nicely to the many others that's been done, but they are coming to the end of their working life on the ECML, even if the class polled strongly - so although I wouldn't be surprised I just think something is making think not. I think its a model that will follow up in a year or two as interest is building in the expectation of them going and models now would come from what polled a few years ago.

Something is making me think a class 37 or 47. Hornby like their new diesel machines to all work up to the present day. 31, 43, 50, 56, 60, 67, with only the 50 not running often on the mainline now, but still massively popular in preservation. However, I'm going to go with Class 20. I think its a direct challenge to Bachmann, but this could be one of the surprises that coming.

However, I also think that if Hornby are most likely going for a DMU and think that the Class 110 will be the one for this. Possible 104 instead.

Stock:

I think your looking at a possible set of NER coaches. Clerestories might be stunning if done, but could be elliptical stock instead. These would match other runs for NER stuff that's coming.

Otherwise instead I think your looking at wagons. Maybe the GWR syphon wagon might be due a retool - but can see Hornby going for something more modern. New MGR wagon, or HEA anyone? That's my guess...

Extras / Novelties

There is the possibility of a novelty engine. Something is making me think Lion of Liverpool and Manchester, or Titfield Thunderbolt Fame...

But actually, I think your looking at DCC items. Signals would be my guess. A new range of ones, colour light that are dcc compatible. Hornby have been good with things like Scaledale and lighting, but more accessories to go on layouts would be a good way of getting extras that can bring in more cashflow. The lighting was a good start, but has remained basic. If Hornby returned to this and pushed on with DCC Signals as well as lights for buildings then I think it could be something much better.

Other possibilities are small cameras for stock so you see your layout, or a new controller to rival the likes of ECoS, but much less expensive.

Of course, it could all be educated guess work that's accurate, or total rubbish. That said, I think Hornby now is a lot harder to predict than Bachmann...

Something is making me think a class 37 or 47. Hornby like their new diesel machines to all work up to the present day. 31, 43, 50, 56, 60, 67, with only the 50 not running often on the mainline now, but still massively popular in preservation. 

I reckon the mileage run by Class 50s on the main line in 2018 will far exceed Class 31, and probably rival Class 47 and 56.

• Like 1