Yard plan

bodmin65

Hi everyone,

after spending some time browsing this website and also playing in AnyRail I've come up with this n gauge plan for some kind of a yard. Cassette storage would be off to the right. I have been busy yesterday knocking up the attached baseboard out of scrap wood i had lying around and odd bits from work.

if you have any ideas that might help improve it then let me know?

Cheers

Martin

post-33296-0-05856200-1544816841_thumb.jpg

post-33296-0-45368000-1544816857_thumb.jpg

Edited by bodmin65

• RMweb Gold

Are the two lines to the cassette fiddle yard double track down and up lines?

If so, how does traffic arriving on the down line get to the front sidings or front platform and how does traffic that has pulled into the back sidings or back platform leave the scene on the up line?

Even if the two lines to the fiddle yard are a single bi-directional line plus headshunt it will be difficult to get from one to the other because of the position of the crossover.

I notice that your latest plan doesn't have a run round loop in the scenic area. You don't have to have one, you can use the fiddle yard to run round but some people find that unsatisfying. (But maybe you don't need a run round at all - you haven't said what era the layout will be set in or what kinds of operations are intended.)

It looks highly likely you will end up with a Minories style plan. That's not a bad thing - it's a well-known solution to the type of layout you're thinking about.

Here is a further development of the plan. Forgot to add period wise I was thinking br blue. So the 2 platform lines would be for dmu's

Looks good.

I think buildings beyond the buffers are a waste of space (Literally)  but it looks like a 1980s station where the platforms have been shortened and passengers required to walk half a mile from the concourse to the train.   Presumably there would be a second crossover "Off screen" to allow running round.

The top siding needs to be as long as possible to to act as a headshunt for the yard.

• Like 1

This reminds me of my failures building something like this. Like me, you've got a lot of track there, In fact you have six lines across the across what looks like quite a narrow board and two platforms to squeeze in too. 

I'd maybe drop the front two sidings (because what would be stored there anyway), maybe have an island platform with a road over the top providing access to the station, which would now be a through station, thus giving the option of a fiddle yard on the other end as well.

When you decide what industry you're going to have at the back that will help you determine what track you need there - at the moment it looks like a loading dock and another siding. I'm not sure what will be on that second siding or why you would need it. And, as others have said, you haven't got much of a headshunt to back stock onto it. You might be better having a line come onto the board through the industry and then use the headshunt for the loco to uncouple and exit the scene, having left the wagons by the loading bay, instead of trying to propel the wagons into the siding (I learned this the hard way). 

• Like 1

This reminds me of my failures building something like this. Like me, you've got a lot of track there, In fact you have six lines across the across what looks like quite a narrow board and two platforms to squeeze in too. 

I'd maybe drop the front two sidings (because what would be stored there anyway), maybe have an island platform with a road over the top providing access to the station, which would now be a through station, thus giving the option of a fiddle yard on the other end as well.

When you decide what industry you're going to have at the back that will help you determine what track you need there - at the moment it looks like a loading dock and another siding. I'm not sure what will be on that second siding or why you would need it. And, as others have said, you haven't got much of a headshunt to back stock onto it. You might be better having a line come onto the board through the industry and then use the headshunt for the loco to uncouple and exit the scene, having left the wagons by the loading bay, instead of trying to propel the wagons into the siding (I learned this the hard way). 

Taking your comments on board, the plan has now been revised to this.

post-33296-0-88497300-1545423508_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well this started off as a yard plan, and has now become a double tracked BLT, and is potentially headed towards minories.  I do like the original specification though - for a yard, not including passenger provisions.

Which post are you referring to?

Edited by bodmin65

The platforms in any of the plans won't really be wide enough for passengers. You might get a set of staff access platforms in for carriage cleaning and the like, but you'll have to lose one of the tracks to create room for passengers.

To be honest, carriage cleaning/ stabling is not going to be operationally much different from a passenger terminus anyhow, especially if you're thinking of MU trains. Would change the general layout of the area though.

Edited by Zomboid

• RMweb Gold

The platforms in any of the plans won't really be wide enough for passengers. You might get a set of staff access platforms in for carriage cleaning and the like, but you'll have to lose one of the tracks to create room for passengers.

To be honest, carriage cleaning/ stabling is not going to be operationally much different from a passenger terminus anyhow, especially if you're thinking of MU trains. Would change the general layout of the area though.

Although with carriage cleaning the trains will stand in the siding for a long time for a long time.

In most cases, yes. But if it's also a reversing siding for a station which is off scene trains could come and go quite often. And if some kind of perturbed service is operating it could be even more so (the carriage sidings at Basingstoke being an example, where SWR/ SWT and I assume BR before them would terminate trains from the Exeter line when things go wrong towards London, and reverse them via the sidings).

Perturbed operation is an interesting feature of the railway which you seldom see modelled.

• RMweb Gold

Because it is an unusual and one off sort of activity; good modelling IMHO is of typical operation, not once in a blue moon stuff, which tends to degenerate into Rule 1 insanity (brand new WR Britannia visits Cwmdimbath with inspector's saloon).

It does happen over extended periods occasionally though, such as when repairs were being done to Landore viaduct in Swansea in the 70s.  The London-Swansea trains, 47 hauled mk2 airconditioned at the time, 'terminated' at Port Talbot and ran ecs to Briton Ferry yard where the locos ran around and ran them ecs back to Port Talbot to re-enter service.  Briton Ferry, handling traffic for the nearby BP plant as well, was pretty busy for a few weeks!  

Traffic for further down line ran via the District, and some West Wales-Swansea traffic terminated at Llanelli, as did the Central Wales trains; replacement busses did the rest!