Swindelton – inspiration from a challenge 7 years later!

ChrisS

• RMweb Gold

Hello all. Once upon a time, just over 7 years ago (where does time go!), I entered the RM Web diorama challenge in 2011 with my entry Swindelton stabling point as documented in the entry summary in my signature, or the original topic here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38133-swindelton-sp-o-gauge-in-a-small-space/

The deadline of the challenge ensured I started and entered something to a reasonable standard. I had plans to further enhance my diorama but, as I see in so many posts, work and life seemed to get in the way. Swindelton stabling point was eventually stored away in our small two bedroom house, occupied by a family of four and a  fat cat.

The small house meant motivation to model something was lacking and with other expenditures such as racing RC cars and mountain biking, model trains did not get a look in.

Fast forward to 2016 and we moved to a new house with four bedrooms and a double garage. Whilst I would have liked to have utilised some of the space for building something, one bedroom was allocated as an office, and other priorities and expenditures always got in the way, not least trying to reduce the amount of stuff we had accumulated and stored in the garage!

With mixed opinions I watched the Great Model Railway Challenge and it seems to have influenced me- I felt guilty that Swindelton had been moth balled and I got it out of the garage and dusted it off. A google search found my original RM entry and the realisation 7 years had passed by.

A moment of madness has resulted in an ex works visitor to Swindelton and since then ideas have started to develop, with the intention of modelling something again.

20.jpg.e4ff0fa6cd60ee4ef3d4568164e226cf.jpg

That’s all for now but further information and ideas to follow……… just got to resist spending more money before Christmas on rolling stock!

20.jpg

Edited by ChrisS
Re-inserted missing image
  • Like 9

Thanks, I’m sure you’re right.

I briefly had a 1.8 TC Marina. Basically, an MGB GT engine in a rust-bucket body, atop woefully inadequate suspension. An interesting combination!

Best

Simon

Did your one have BRAKES Simon, my Demonstrator ones never seemed to stop me in time. :no:  :no:

What a good looking start, love that security fencing, I have some to make up and fit one day.

Keep the pics coming please.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, the Morris Marina is a Vanguards hidden treasure model I picked up some time ago. I used to see quite a few old cars with parts in primer, something which you don't tend to see anymore.

So, if I’m honest I do prefer watching trains go by, but the reality is that even with space in a double garage, you still need a lot of space, and this is realistically not going to happen. Not least because it would cost me a lot of money in materials, stock and time to build- It was a challenge to get my Swindelton diorama done to a relatively good standard!

Instead I’m trying very, very, very hard to limit my ambition to the use of two 4’x2’ base boards that I made more than 10 years ago for another project. They are bog standard softwood and ply topped boards.  The boards have already had many years of acclimatisation being stored in garages, and don’t appear to have warped- yet. They might get some additional bracing if required. I have a few plastic trestles for support, the only downside is that there is no opportunity to do any fine levelling with adjustable feet.

boards.jpg.14155b4a034b3c04ff4e38b9e3325263.jpg

Using my Swindelton diorama as an example of what can be achieved in a very small space, I placed it on the empty boards to visualise and get an understanding of what I could potentially fit in. It’s easy to get carried away with line drawings and fantasies. I’m hopeful I should be able to create something with enough operational interest and detail too.

I’m going to try and base the time period between the early 1980’s and early 1990’s as this was also when I received/ purchased most of my previous OO model collection and railway reference material. With rose tinted glasses, to me, there was a nice mix of motive power, rolling stock and liveries then- I always particularly liked large logo blue and rail freight liveries. The location will be completely fictitious and won’t be tied to any specific region or location.

To be continued........

47.jpg.7c7cb3a7986f5700e39630d254e3100f.jpg

Edited by ChrisS
Re-inserted missing images
  • Like 8

I briefly had a 1.8 TC Marina. Basically, an MGB GT engine in a rust-bucket body, atop woefully inadequate suspension. An interesting combination!

As opposed to my MGB GT which was an MGB GT engine in a rust-bucket body, atop woefully inadequate suspension.

Once I had lowered it back to UK-spec, added thick anti-roll bars, anti-tramp bars, panhard rod, gas-filled telescopic shocks, wide tyres on minilites etc. it wasn't quite so inadequate but was still quite neolithic in its performance.

Sorry for the off-topic post but I suspect that many of the parish demographic had cr8p old cars in the 60s/70s/80s. I have started collecting 1:43 versions of mine for Offerston Quay.

• RMweb Gold

So, for this relatively small space I have quite a demanding wish list:

• I want to be able to run stock just on the confines of the 8’ available. This configuration will mean its effectively a shunting, loco testing and photography diorama.
  • I’m not a massive fan of train stations as they take up too much room and as previously eluded to, I like to see trains pass by- a bit of a challenge in a small space.
  • So, one requirement will be the option to allow trains to pass through with the use of optional sector plates/ cassette extensions to increase operational potential (already wanting more than my 8’!).
  • I want to have a reason for stock movements such as some form of freight operation. Obviously, train lengths are not going to be massive- that’s the reality of a small space, but there is always a prototypical example somewhere.
  • Somehow include a reincarnated Swindelton stabling point- this was my main inspiration 7 years on!
  • I already have 8 Peco O gauge points, 2 Y’s, 4 RH and 2 LH and some lengths of track, so I would have to make use of these to avoid any additional cost.

I’m not one for using any fancy computer program so started the process with some crude doodles………….

doodles.jpg.3db4216e5534e9c1757c1ea59464ba28.jpg

After many attempts and trying to figure out how I could use 4 RH points (I swapped the orientation of the planned stabling point), I’m aiming for something like the option below………….

post-12129-0-04535600-1545598270.jpg

Only time will tell if I’m being a bit optimistic :-/

To set the scene, the through line is the middle line. We're in the 1980's, the top siding was once part of a double track section that has been rationalised. The through line still exists to serve the industry located off stage to the left (along with all the associated sidings). Consequently, there is a need for a stabling point (where Swindelton fits in), which is located on the left below the through line. It all makes sense in my head.

I have a few bits on order with Father Christmas, so will see what he brings, but in reality I’m waiting till after Christmas when I can spend some money without feeling guilty!

Next installment soon…………………

doodles 2.JPG

Edited by ChrisS
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

New Stone Age, rather than the original Stone Age... :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolithic

Let’s say “beating people over the head with rocks, and farming” rather than simply “beating people over the head with rocks”.

Season’s Greetings!

Simon

Paleolithic = Old Stone Age; pre-glaciation hunter gatherer people who used stone tools and flints axes for butchering hunted animals.  Includes the extinction of Neanderthals. actual cause unknown but could have been genocide or interbreeding weeding the weaker DNA out. 

Mesolithic = Middle Stone Age; flint tipped spears and arrows appear post glaciation, making hunting more efficient and driving many food species extinct.  This is possibly one of the things that leads to...

Neolithic = New Stone Age; basic animal husbandry and crop raising, leading to warfare and weapon development as the animals and crops needed to be defended.  Persuading the gods to help with the crops by not destroying them with storms leads to the development of religion, belief in afterlife or the power of the ancestors.  The priests mark the seasons to tell when crops should be planted and astronomical observation is needed for this, leading to the building of henges and tombs on solstice alignments.  Axes are developed and forestry cleared; still happening!

This is a very rough summation indeed, and holes big enough to allow the passage of a supertanker sideways can be poked in it, but the beatings over the head, along with the shooting with arrows and sticking with spears were by and large a later development; evidence of violent deaths is much more common from then on in.  Earlier people seem to have generally got on well enough with each other,  as there were too few of them to compete for resources.  

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Progress- using the rough plan shown earlier, I’ve found time to lay most of the track and turn it into reality!

Trying to place the point work to avoid the baseboard join was a bit of a nightmare, but I’ve managed to locate the points without having to modify or cut them. Each section of track has been wired with droppers installed to be connected hopefully sometime soon.

I must suffer from some sort of OCD as I do like things to be aligned and organised; originally all the tracks were running parallel and straight, but I’ve added a subtle curve to the through line (will be the middle one) and the small head shunt on the right diverges too. Trying to lay smooth curves is difficult too- I might have to re-visit the left-hand siding as my OCD is kicking in and it does not look quite right compared to the through line (centre track)!

post-12129-0-41908900-1545938163_thumb.jpg

To get an idea of scale and what might make an appearance, I’ve experimented with bit of card and a few items of stock. As mentioned previously I’m hoping to have the option of running some through trains with the use of extra sector plate/ cassette extensions, otherwise it will be just a shunting diorama.

post-12129-0-86180500-1545938304_thumb.jpg

Given the challenge of trying to keep within the 8’ base boards (excluding optional off scene extensions) I'm quite happy with how it's looking.

Hopefully further up-date soon.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

So a little more progress- I decided I needed to make a start on installing a suitable back scene support, which will then allow the scenic bits to progress.

A few sheets of Wickes finest banana shaped ply and ta da!

It's not quite finished but looks quite good in its natural state.

2001565901_Backboardinstall.jpg.7dcf632a65f339cb6a22281b2111b2b1.jpg

I'll probably seal and paint it when it's a bit warmer.

Another job will be to create some framing at the front and probably some form of lighting installation too.

On another note one of the Christmas presents from my wife was this..........

post-12129-0-54704100-1546548044_thumb.jpg

It appears to get mixed reviews but I'll give it a go. I'm used to using servos in model radio controlled car racing- they take a lot of punishment. I'm hoping these will be more than up for the job and reliable too- only time will tell.

To be continued............

Edited by ChrisS
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 04/01/2019 at 08:05, pwr said:

Chris

What is the source of the 47 please?

regards

Hello,

The 47 is a D J Parkins Modern Motive Power kit.

I built it in 2003 and was very close to finishing it, when my future wife and I bought our first house. Until now, time and money got used on everything else.

At the time I was modelling 47513 'Severn' -simply because I liked the large logo livery and it was running in this condition during the mid 1990s. I have some etched name plates somewhere- just got to find them............

Unfortunately I've never quite finished it and it had been stored away for another day- hopefully Swindelton might inspire me to finally finish it.

Though you can't see it from the outside, I do remember spending a lot of time with the supplied detail in the cabs.

1185163063_47internal.jpg.a70753b53b6f0676cad45d141efd0067.jpg

It would need some remedial works but I powered it up the other day and it seemed to run ok- don't need a modern DCC sound unit for this one!

Chris

Edited by ChrisS
Re-inserted missing image
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

So, I’ve probably spent more time thinking than doing recently- it’s amazing how time flies by when you are trying to visualise something or day dreaming!

I really needed to make a start on making some cassettes to store trains and stock. For ease, as the angled aluminium I purchased comes in 1m lengths, I decided to make the train cassettes 50cm long. My MMP class 47 easily fits with space at either end. With the same logic, stock cassettes will probably be 1m long- it’s not as if I can run long trains in the space I’ve set myself. Both sizes should allow some flexibility and prevent them being too big and heavy to manoeuvre.

I made a prototype with the shiny angled aluminium (approx 23x23x1.5) and 9mm ply. I’m trying not to buy too much additional stuff and so found some M5 nuts and bolts, which I would use in addition to glue.

post-12129-0-15231400-1547410722_thumb.jpg

After putting it together, and chopping off the excess bolt lengths, I discovered that some of my rolling stock clears the M5 nuts but other items don’t- only by a very small margin! Good job this was a prototype and I’d not glued it together yet- I will probably look to use a smaller nut and bolt combo. Gluing alone might be enough but this is belt and braces for my peace of mind!  I’ve still got to decide on which system I’m going to employ to make the electrical connections, end stops and handles, but I have an idea of what I want to achieve.

post-12129-0-20480500-1547410781_thumb.jpg

However, another of my wife’s Christmas presents was this………….. obviously there are others available on the market but this is the one she got me. It included 4 sets of rollers.

post-12129-0-02975300-1547410858_thumb.jpg

So luckily my prototype has another job as a base for the rolling road. None of my own O gauge locos have ever been properly run in due to lack of space, so this will help. To make it easier to set up, I think I will mark up where the rollers need to be positioned for the different locomotives I currently own.

post-12129-0-89030200-1547410901_thumb.jpg

post-12129-0-05433600-1547410939_thumb.jpg

I powered it up and it all seems to work well. In the meantime I've cut up some more angled aluminium and ply for V2.

Next instalment soon- hopefully.

Edited by ChrisS
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Where is all my time going!

A small up-date. Partly due to the lower temperatures I’ve not managed to do much in the garage, the 2.5kw fan heater takes the chill out of the air but that’s about it.

Not the most interesting photo, but I’ve managed to do some wiring and installed a couple of the Peco servo point motors which still need to be wired in. However, prior to fitting I tested that the servos worked, so at least I know they work.

wiring.jpg.7293eb356bd9185074cfbb650dfa590d.jpg

Rightly or wrongly I decided to use Choc blocks rather than soldering connections- I’ve never had a problem doing it this way in the past.

Tested that the wiring was ok with a short running session with the 03 and 08.

03.jpg.59b93685869148acf9dce0cb4bb84ffb.jpg

I hope to achieve more soon but looks like it might be another cold week ahead!

Edited by ChrisS
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A small up-date.

So, I had every intention of doing x, y and z, but I’ve achieved……………… very little as it happens.

I find it difficult to get motivated when work gets in the way and you’re left with very little time to do things. If I’m honest I’m a bit of a perfectionist so this complicates things too!

Anyhow, I’ve managed to acquire something special for the model. It’s taken a lot of thought and commitment but I’m quite excited about it; I’m really hoping it will work otherwise I might have to go for a plan B. You might spot it in the photo below.

So, in the meantime I’ve spent some time trying to visualise elements of Swindelton. You might recognise the depot shed from my diorama that inspired this model. I borrowed it but will probably build a new bespoke version as I have a few extra mm to play with. As I have a couple of PCAs I thought a couple of cement silos might give a suggestion of the freight traffic that might pass through; two pringle tins are masquerading as silos for the moment. The back scene is very temporary- just deciding what I want to achieve. 

Hopefully the garage will warm up over the weekend and I can achieve x, y and z!

Silos.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

So, a bit of housekeeping and I finally managed to prep the backscene boards with a nice bright white primer. Hopefully now this hurdle has been passed, further progress can be made on the beginnings of the scenery.

DSCF0297.JPG.e1e7fed0cab73343d6eaad10fb6090c0.JPG

On another note, I’ve added some handles to my second go at a cassette and I think it looks quite good. It certainly helps manoeuvring; its surprisingly light. I’ve still got to finalise stops and electrical connectors.

DSCF0300.JPG.509921ef3c66f9dd02a0cd72c2411bcd.JPG

• Like 3

They look neat. My cassettes are of similar construction. I also need to put handles on and think this is an ideal design. I never thought about using rivets but seems to make a great deal of sense. Are these snap head rivets

Paul R

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul.

Yes they are 4mm pop/snap rivets. I bought a cheap rivet tool along time ago and thought this might be a good solution to maximise clearances between stock and cassettes, and adjacent cassettes.