Swindelton – inspiration from a challenge 7 years later!

ChrisS

• RMweb Gold

Randomly I aquired something completely out of era, and out of character for me. Ordered Saturday morning for a bargin price and it arrived unexpectedly today - a Sunday. Very good service from Rails and DPD. Although a bit of an odd ball, it's a nice model and I think I have a plan for it in the future  - another project! Seen filling up for a running-in session.

20240310_213955.jpg.8e59e6f71bc6f15272d4915a6a18029a.jpg

I probably should have done this earlier in the remodelling of the shed, but I finally bit the bullet and cut out a section to create a service pit.

20240302_171422.jpg.e78c670c9ee99dd579b9e23f5e09e1ec.jpg

The pit was built with scrap foam board, plastic strip and brick sheet.

I painted and lightly aged the brickwork before fitting. Quite pleased with it.

20240310_210638.jpg.0a57eb8c71a2849cfd843b702f6bc62d.jpg

The new visitor sits outside the shed, waiting for its next duty.

20240310_213439.jpg.d27cc5550ae4d6cba3d99b794ca9370b.jpg

Seen light engine later in the day.

20240310_200108.jpg.06273821e96b8c333c5d328421d1d955.jpg

Till next time.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The ambient temperature in the garage was quite pleasant, so today was a 'doing' day, mainly spent re-ballasting some of the track work following previous modifications. 

I installed a few catch pits and the Eagle eyed might spot that some tarmac has been laid near the sea container in the yard.

20240317_190804.jpg.9f755be201f58e76b54802e0ca58a89e.jpg

Now just got to wait for the glue to dry before tidying up.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Swindelton does not allow my collection to stretch their legs. I don't belong to any clubs but stumbled across a local club that has occasional running sessions, so thought I'd give it a go.

There is something therapeutic about trains going round and round, even on a plain test track.

Assuming it works, the following short clips are not going to win any Oscars but show a few things I had running.

Till next time

• Like 8

Loving this Chris, 

It's so cool being able to model 7mm in a restricted space isn't it.

Yours is another layout that has inspired me  to do what I am, with my own.

Cheers

Steve

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 7mmin7foot said:

Loving this Chris, 

It's so cool being able to model 7mm in a restricted space isn't it.

Yours is another layout that has inspired me  to do what I am, with my own.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the kind comments Steve. Good to see another small space layout on the forum.

Whilst at times I dream of having mainline passenger trains whizzing round a continuous layout, the reality is it would cost a lot in time, money and space.

As it is, there is an element of dithering and back to the future with Swindelton but I enjoy the process, improving and learning new skills, and actually having somewhere to display and photograph my models.

I'd rather have something than nothing at all, and have learnt to appreciate what i have. However, O gauge is addictive - I do have to be strict in what i buy, but the reality is i do have more rolling stock than I actually need! 

Cheers Chris,

I am thoroughly enjoying 'the Big Scale' .. the photo opportunities  and detailing scope is immense, though the biggest critic is always the camera lens!

My old pal and I always had a passion for the 1/43 scale cars too, and having inherited a few, this aspect will certainly increase in number.

We always said the 80's were the best years, and given todays world, in many aspects, that is true.

British Rail modelling is new to me , always modelled Swiss... but I have also many of his books too, for guidance and inspiration.

The rest is from my imagination and what I believe is called Rule #1. ( If I am happy... who cares)

I do though enjoy my 'modelling therapy' and escape into my own  'new' 7mm world. 😊

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Out in lovely weather on the mountain bike yesterday and in the garage today painting some West hill wagon works bits. I wish all weekends were like this.

I had another birthday last weekend but this was taken up with two days at Alton Towers. My lovely wife got me a few bits including a couple of dummy point motors and the workshop tug which she thought looked cute.

My Hydrovane compressor is looking a bit ex works, but pleased with how it looks - I was even able to pick out the logo with some careful dry brushing.

20240414_201123.jpg.3fb9b812301d75cb4a4119c6d47ed5dd.jpg

20240414_194105.jpg.04e7e7121bd5b0d14df9a27e71812b9f.jpg

Till next time

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1