CIE Curtain Sided Pallet Cement Wagon

David Jackson

I recently invested in four Model Irish Railways CIE Curtain Sided Pallet Cement Wagon kits. Examination revealed a number of edges that were chipped or damaged, particularly on the ends of the bodies. I decided that it was not worth the hassle of returning the kits, and set about rectifying the faults.

There were a couple of places on the underframes that required rectification, mainly due to poor casting, so the bad bits were cut out and replaced with inserts made from plasticard.

post-13499-0-35791600-1544975990_thumb.jpg

Two repairs. The edge of the solebar to the left of the brake V bracket and below the R/H axle box.

The vertical struts on the ends of the bodies have raised edges which stand out about 0.35mm. About half of these struts had damage to one or both edges. In a couple of cases, the broken edge was still attached, and was repairable with an application of a small quantity of superglue applied with the point of a needle, after carefully straightening and aligning the edge.

For those struts that could not be repaired, I decided that, with care, the whole edge could be cut off with a ruler and a very sharp craft knife. The edge would then be replaced with some 0.25mm x 0.75mm plastic microstrip. This was found to be more difficult than expected, and only one repair using this method turned out to be acceptable.

It was then decided that each strut should be totally removed using a craft knife with a chisel blade, and a slot cut in the top horizontal edge to recess a replacement strut. Struts were made up using 0.4mm x 1.5mm microstrip, with 0.25mm x 0.75mm microstrip stuck on each side with solvent, to form a flat U section. The U section strips were cut to length, slightly over long, and fixed in position with superglue which was run down each side using a needle. Once the superglue had hardened, the top and bottom of each strut was trimmed flush.

post-13499-0-96851800-1544976055_thumb.jpg  post-13499-0-57728400-1544976020_thumb.jpg

Just noticed in the above L/H picture that the wagon on the left which has not had a repair done, has got a chip at the top of the third strut from the left which will have to be repaired.

The left hand wagon in the R/H picture has had a repair done to the right hand strut, using the first experimental method, by cutting off the strut edge and replacing with microstrip.

The underframes have now been completed with brake gear added, wheels fitted and adjusted for smooth running, bodies attached and everything tidied up prior to applying a coat of primer.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Since starting this thread, I have acquired a couple of MIR’s Drop Side Cement wagon kits. I am pleased to say that pre construction repairs required for these wagons are minimal, and nowhere near the number required for the curtain sided kits.

However, as the instructions are a bit vague regarding how the end detail is supposed to be laid out, I did some online research, and not only found the answer to my question, but also discovered that both the drop side and particularly the curtain side wagon kits are severely lacking in end details. I also came across a number of variations in what I thought were relatively standard wagons. Different length chassis, curved roofs, and end bracing not unlike the double beet wagons. Unfortunately photographs online are fairly uncommon, apart from the standard drop sided versions.

The curtain sided wagon construction has now taken a back seat, while the drop side build is proceeding with existing end detail being improved, and new detail being added where necessary. Pictures to follow.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

David, Looking forward to seeing the drop sided wagons. I assembled a few of the curtain sided kits last winter, just  a few additions, kadee's of course, white metal coupling hooks and brake vacuum pipes, plus gentle dirt. IMG_9856.jpg

Coupling hooks and vacuum pipes add a little something. Tail lamps on the end wagon (IE era as two, only one used in CIE era) and a little grease on the buffer faces. 

IMG_9860.jpg

I have a few of Ian's drop sided wagons in stock which I should get to over the summer.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Fifteen months later, and after much research, end detail has been added to the curtain sided wagons, including scratch built renditions of the restraining mechanism on one end. Handwheels are from Studio Scale Models, except for one of the curtain siders which utilises the four spoke handles from a drop sider kit.

20200516_163126a.jpg.4b5bb650ec4283c52efdc3e69926869e.jpg

20200516_163037a.jpg.0f3a4d4b5b02e29d5a2321536eef0ee4.jpg

The drop sided wagons suffer the same lack of end detail as the curtain sided ones, although they do come with a few whitemetal bits representing the restraining mechanism. I decided to ditch the bits supplied as they were not very good, and to fit my own scratch built version to match the curtain sided wagons.

It was when I had assembled the drop sided wagons that I made the horrifying discovery that they were much too tall compared to the curtain siders and, in my opinion, looked ridiculous when both types were marshalled together. Consultation of photos of the real thing confirmed my suspicions that both types should be the same height. What to do? I decided I would have to cut down the height. According to a drawing, the supplied stanchions carrying the pulleys were the correct height, so they were carefully removed from the assembled wagons and set aside. Luckily, my scratch built restraining mechanism had been installed at the same height as the curtain siders, and I was able to leave that in situ.

The top of the wagon body was carefully cut off and cleaned up for reuse. Vertical angled cuts were made at each corner and the sides carefully removed without damaging the ends or the underframe. The ends were then reduced in height so that with the addition of the top, the overall height would be correct. The top was then glued to the top of the ends.

New sides were made up using plasticard and microstrip and then fitted. Due to the thickness of the resin ends, it was easier to make an angled join rather than butt joining the new sides with the ends. The pulley stanchions were then refitted, and new end detail added at the plain end of the wagon. The end with the restraining mechanism only required minor repairs to one or two vertical struts. Representative operating mechanisms for the restraint system were fabricated from bits and pieces, and fitted to each wagon.

Difference in height between curtain sider and unmodified drop sider.20200315_183840a.jpg.6d5415f5b7e9beb478c6cb1b2f45e3eb.jpg

Roof and sides removed.

20200315_183904a.jpg.d92c040c879cb1f8cadc3cab57a0f66a.jpg

Modified drop sider with new sides, next to curtain sider.

20200318_214108a.jpg.39b7a7f335b579c08bdd499e6985d862.jpg

Modified drop sider next to unmodified drop sider.20200318_214123a.jpg.d341ee9357df0ff24fb90f8dd25ab6f1.jpg  

Completed modified drop siders. Pulley chains to be added after painting. 

20200516_163301a.jpg.4ada6a6a2a30d42f492831e244404fae.jpg

20200516_163234a.jpg.6e0635aaa6524f4b51a3979a3d4e2b0c.jpg

I have just discovered that I have run out of Halfords grey primer, so painting is on hold for now until grey primer can be obtained.

• Like 2

Great to see you back David after a very long absence.  I have built many of these wagons and never realised the height difference was wrong between these two different types, but I’m not surprised that it was you who spotted it.

I hope you don’t mind but I wanted to highlight the fantastic detail you have put into these wagons, if you do I’ll remove my close-ups.

20200516_163037a.jpg.0f3a4d4b5b02e29d5a2321536eef0ee4.jpg.c19035d77e2f6876cc5babe45ef1be2e.jpg

20200516_163234a.jpg.6e0635aaa6524f4b51a3979a3d4e2b0c.jpg.a3bfef1d650fdfc466fd4323fd8807be.jpg

An excellent result.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That does look very good , I had not progressed the build of mine due to trying to figure out chains and not understanding how the end bits worked - all very ingenious these do help and do put the castings supplied in the shade .  Height - i had noticed but not twigged when looking at photos so a good move. 

One question what has been used for the the new doors ?     Hopefully we will have finished our builds in time for IRM towers to announce the rtr verision with DCC controlled doors option. 

Robert   

Robert, the new doors were made from 1.5mm plasticard  cut to size to fit the hole left when the old doors were cut out. Lengths of 1.5mm X 0.5mm microstrip were then stuck on, suitably spaced to give the 'ribs'. A strip of 0.75mm X 0.25mm microstrip was stuck on to the middle rib to cover the 'joint' between the top and bottom doors. A piece of 2mm X 0.5mm microstrip was stuck vertically at each end to hide the joint between the new doors and the ends of the body.

Below is a diagram of how the chains should fit. On the prototype the top and bottom doors are linked together via the medium sized pulley. When the large pulley is turned, the medium pulley at each end moves the door chains which pull the top door up and lower the bottom door. The weight of the doors counterbalances each other. The chain operating the large pulley is pulled by hand, and is secured near the buffer on that side when not in use, just like a roller shutter door in a warehouse or workshop.

1628311619_Dooroperation.jpg.ecd4422724349d27c1b390cc8ebf7edd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1