Class 28 at Stirling

Graham R

I was interested to see this photograph of a class 28 (D5713) at Stirling with an ex-LMS coach in maroon livery, so presumably in the 1960s. The train appears to be in the Stirling & Dunfermline lines Up platform so could have been on a working from Dunfermline, or from the Perth direction (or of course starting from Stirling).

I don't recall seeing a photo of a Class 28 north of Glasgow previously (although apparently they worked to Gourock, Wemyss Bay and on the Cathcart Circle). Was it common to send them north of Glasgow?

regards

Graham

Edited by Graham R

The 'derbysulzers' website says "The Bridgeton - Stirling freight and return coal from Plean to Shieldhall was also used as a fill in turn." So, yes, they appear to have gone north of Glasgow quite regularly, but it doesn't mention passenger work in that direction.

(Edit - I should have added that that comes from discussion of the inauguration of the 'Condor' service on March 16, 1959 and the use of the locos from it during their layover in Glasgow.)

Edited by pH
  • Like 1

Hi Graham, Brian Dickson's album "Diesel Days - Scotland" shows D5713 leaving Stirling on 8th August 1959 with a passenger train for Glasgow. The train comprises at least 7 ex-LMS coaches and may well be the one you refer to in your post as the loco is the same way round  (4 wheel bogie leading) and the coach immediately behind the loco looks to be identical to the one shown in your photo. 

The loco discs display the code for Express Passenger and the working number seems to be 81.

HTH

Jim