Chiltern Model Railway Exhibition - Stevenage 12/13 Jan 2019

adrianmc

• RMweb Gold

I have been asked to publicise the discounted Advance Tickets.

There is as option to purchase discounted advance tickets from the venue box office either in person, via phone or by the box office website:

https://www.gordon-craig.co.uk/cmra-model-railway-exhibition-i2098/

Discounted Advance Adult tickets are £8

This gives a discount of £2 on the "on the door" price of £10.

There is no booking fee for tickets purchased however there is a £1 fee per transaction to cover postage etc should you wish for the ticket(s) to be mailed out to you. 

Even if only purchasing a single ticket and requesting it is posted there is a saving of a £1.

Although there is no early admission for advance ticket holders, those holding advance tickets will be directed to the ground floor entrance - the level of the exhibition halls - thus avoiding any queues for the box office on the first floor.

Closing date for the discounted Advance Tickets is the 7th January 2019.

Note: For any local visitors who live in postcode areas SG1 and SG2 there is a further discount of £1 making Advance Adult tickets only £7. This price is only available for those visiting the venue box office in person or purchasing by phone - not online. The same closing date of 7th January applies.

To help speed up admissions on the day the Box office will have the facility to take contactless card payments subject to the normal £30 limit.  

May I point out what I believe to be a mistake?

The CMRA layout listing (and indeed the article in the January 2019 edition of CM) contains an error.

"Koningswaal, Augustus 1933 by the Modelspoorclub Maas en Waal - 1930s Dutch steam tram line in 1:64 scale 16.5mm gauge (Sm)"

As the article explains the prototype inspiring the model was 3ft 6ins (1067mm) gauge, and thus the use of "S" scale on 16.5mm track is very close to being accurate.

I fear that the unnecessary desire to label all railway modelling by a supposedly convenient shorthand designation (in this case the erroneous "Sm") is to blame.

CP

Edited by cp409067

• RMweb Gold

The CMRA layout listing (and indeed the article in the January 2019 edition of CM) contains an error.

"Koningswaal, Augustus 1933 by the Modelspoorclub Maas en Waal - 1930s Dutch steam tram line in 1:64 scale 16.5mm gauge (Sm)"

As the article explains the prototype inspiring the model was 3ft 6ins (1067mm) gauge, and thus the use of "S" scale on 16.5mm track is very close to being accurate.

I fear that the unnecessary desire to label all railway modelling by a supposedly convenient shorthand designation (in this case the erroneous "Sm") is to blame.

CP

Hi Christopher,

I agree given that the prototype wasn't metre gauge - a more accurate "shorthand" designation would possibly be "S-16.5" as in 0-16.5, 00-9 etc. or even maybe Sn3.5

However the builders of the layout in all their publicity and website at http://www.mscmaasenwaal.nl/koningswaal.html have given it the "Sm" designation.

Maybe something to discuss with them at the show?

Edited by adrianmc
  • Like 1

I'm toying with the idea of making the trek to this but will probably decide last minute depending on the weather. (May play golf if its nice - shocking, i know)

The weather is not going to be up to playing golf (unless we get a very un-seasonal 25 deg, gentle breeze and sunshine) so I would plan your trip to Stevenage  now! 

Hi Christopher,

I agree given that the prototype wasn't metre gauge - a more accurate "shorthand" designation would possibly be "S-16.5" as in 0-16.5, 00-9 etc. or even maybe Sn3.5

However the builders of the layout in all their publicity and website at http://www.mscmaasenwaal.nl/koningswaal.html have given it the "Sm" designation.

Maybe something to discuss with them at the show?

Adrian

[1]  Thank you - I note that (as you say) the builders do indeed describe the layout as "Sm".

[2]  Quite why they do so is a curiosity - again as you say something to discuss with them.

[3]  I am left with my usual conviction that the best option is simply to state the scale of the model as a ratio.

CP

Edited by cp409067

• RMweb Gold

Added two more layouts to those expected to attend in initial post:

El Cremallera by Piers Milne - Spanish metre gauge rack railway in 1:160 scale 6.5mm gauge (Continental Nm)

Wilstone by Geoff Evans - Small narrow gauge through station in 7mm/ft scale 16.5mm gauge (0-16.5)

Unfortunately Layouts4u are unable to attend however their space has been ably filled by a new member of the trade Mount Tabor Models.

Full updated list of trade, demonstrators and supporting organisations can be found on the CMRA website:

http://www.cmra.org.uk/exhibition.html

I preferred this when it was in St Albans and went every year. No way I'm going all the way to Stevenage.

Yeah, after all it's nearly the other side of the county!

St Albans was not a good venue, it was too spread out (3 floors) the basement was 

dark and stuffy, the 'main' hall cramped (and the stage was a pain) and the gallery

too narrow to be of any real use. Also, the parking was a nightmare.

Stevenage on the other hand, 2 reasonably large halls on the same level and good 

parking. Also, connected to the railway station by a footbridge and walking distance

from the bus station, no contest!

BTW, who toys are these next to the pram?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Last day to order Discounted Advance Tickets.

https://www.gordon-craig.co.uk/cmra-model-railway-exhibition-i2098/

Although there is no early admission, those holding advance tickets will be directed to the ground floor entrance - the level of the exhibition halls - thus avoiding any queues for the box office on the first floor.

Just back from setting-up the 2mm Roadshow stand at the venue, and thought I'd give this thread a bump given that the exhibition opens in about 12 hours. I had a very quick wander around the halls before leaving and it looks to be the usual excellent show.

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy

Enjoyed my day at Stevenage today - I hope the closure of the East Coast Main Line south of Peterborough did not affect attendance.

Highlights:

Tollesbury Quay - O Gauge light railway with real tidal water!

Grindley Brook - O gauge continuous run - big and well detailed

Horsethief Bridge - USA N Gauge - great scenery and proper switch switches on the control panel

Clearwater Harbor - USA On30 - with barge that rocks when stone is unloaded from rail wagons

And now the mystery layout - my mistake for not reading the guide until the journey home. Peter North's new layout Aerodrome Park according to the guide, don't recall this one, but there was a layout with a similar track plan elsewhere in the hall - but different concept from the guide. Did I miss something?

Regards

Nick

And now the mystery layout - my mistake for not reading the guide until the journey home. Peter North's new layout Aerodrome Park according to the guide, don't recall this one, but there was a layout with a similar track plan elsewhere in the hall - but different concept from the guide. Did I miss something?

Regards

Nick

There was a sign on the replacement layout in that location apologising for the non appearance of Peter's New layout. I hope all is well as it was one of the layouts I wanted to see.

Other organisers take note, I'm not going to assume that you have invited a list of layouts that will automatically be of interest, but all that is really needed is a name and brief description to tempt me to go, as was the case with this show.

Edited by 298

CP

Hi CP

The builders' description of their very attractive layout as Sm isn't a mistake.Sm is simply one of the narrow gauge designations in the system most commonly used by European modellers.* The 'm' suffix includes a range of prototype gauges around metre gauge and as metre gauge was easily the most widely used gauge around that size (followed by 3 ft) the m suffix made sense. Though not a dead scale system like the NMRA's H0n3 (10.5mm gauge) the MOROP system is consistent.

British modelling has always had a bit of a hotch potch of narrow gauge designations including OO9 and OOn3, but also O9 , O16.5, OOn30 and even TTn3 .and as we all know, though 009 is only really accurate for 2ft 3in gauge prototypes, it is commonly used to model 2ft, 600mm and 2ft 6ins gauge prototypes as well.   

I visited the show on Saturday and Koningswaal was excellent. It was a good show and I can heartily recommend it to anyone able to get there today. It was interesting to see the EMGS samples of ready to use track made for them by Peco and that they've settled on a B6 turnout. 

* The system adopted by MOROP for scales and gauges is set out in NEM 010 and is designed to facilitate the use of commercially manufactured products. The narrow gauges in this system use the standard gauge track and wheel standards of smaller scales. The suffix 'm' represents gauges ranging from 850mm- 1250mm using the SG track gauge from the next widely accepted scale  down. So Sm is S scale using 16.5 mm gauge track, H0m is 1/87 scale using 12mm (TT) gauge track and Nm is 1/160 scale using 6.5mm (Z) gauge track.  This isn't dead accurate and is closer for some scales than others (Metre gauge in H0 should be 11.5mm or even 11.494mm but 12mm is pretty close) The commonly used railway modelling scales descend in roughly 25% steps so using the next gauge down as 'm' is close to gauges around 1 metre, the one below that 'e' for gauges around 750mm,  the one below that 'i' or 'f'  for (industriel or feldbahn) for the "industrial" gauges around 600mm  and most recently the one below that 'p' for miniature or minimum gauge railways (from parkbahn I think) where 0p would be equivalent to O9.  Nobody is bound to follow it and OO9 is actually quite widely used by our cross channel colleagues; the vast majority of NG modellers do find it convenient to use a commercially supported scale and a commercially supported gauge for track and wheels  and the system is designed around the use of manufactured products. If you buy say a Tillig H0m loco you can be confident that it will run on Peco H0m track (or even TT track)

Edited by Pacific231G

Here are some of my photos from the CMRA show yesterday

They are really just a few "what caught my eye" images and don't include a couple of my favorites such as San Maria Gandia and Pyn Valley simply because I already had plenty of images of those from previous shows. There were also a few layouts that I just didn't get very good images from.  

Koningswaal: MRC Maas & Waal

post-6882-0-03277300-1547379384_thumb.jpg

post-6882-0-59622200-1547379392_thumb.jpg

Polcombe Depot: Mark Pollard

post-6882-0-51493000-1547379404_thumb.jpg

post-6882-0-04724300-1547379416_thumb.jpg

post-6882-0-28470800-1547379428_thumb.jpg

post-6882-0-03459400-1547379439_thumb.jpg

post-6882-0-16794500-1547379448_thumb.jpg

Halte Tombroekstraat: Gerard Tombroek & Hugo Valcke

post-6882-0-33716500-1547379459_thumb.jpg

post-6882-0-21241400-1547379469_thumb.jpg

Tollesbury Quay: Martin Stringer

post-6882-0-43858200-1547379673_thumb.jpg

post-6882-0-82816300-1547379679_thumb.jpg

Ferring: Michael Ball

post-6882-0-94754000-1547379691_thumb.jpg

post-6882-0-12556100-1547379700_thumb.jpg

post-6882-0-87440600-1547379710_thumb.jpg

Biajio: Paul Stapleton

post-6882-0-42928100-1547379721_thumb.jpg

post-6882-0-16472700-1547379727_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 5

Last minute decision to attend, this was the first time I have been to this exhibition. I was very pleasantly supprised and there was the right mix of traders to layouts I felt. I did love the real tide effect on the tollesbury layout. Will definitely go again if I am able to.

• RMweb Gold

Visited today and as usual another excellent exhibition.

Arrived 10:30am to avoid any queues, parked in a car park just behind for £2 and then straight in the door. Will do the same again next year.

Primarily visited to see Oldham King Street Parcels, which I stalked for most of my time there ;)

Really good mix of trade and layouts and good to have a chat with a few 2mmFS peeps too.

Here’s a few of my BR Blue pics...

HVG

post-3290-0-77062700-1547406057_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-50277600-1547406088_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-85082700-1547406129_thumb.jpeg

OKSP

post-3290-0-24917100-1547406185_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-32937900-1547406228_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-07783600-1547406255_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-90240200-1547406283_thumb.jpeg

post-3290-0-48519800-1547406308_thumb.jpeg

Many thanks to all the organisers...next years date is in the calendar...:good: