Chiltern Model Railway Exhibition - Stevenage 12/13 Jan 2019

adrianmc

I hadn't clocked that this used to be St Albans, as it were. Much more awkward to get to for us, living on the MML, but the venue was very good. Struggled initially to find the right parking, and it was well filled when we did, but lucked in, with a parking space right outside the door. It was so close to the entrance I felt like Mr Bean.

A really nice show. Good balance of exhibits as between scales and prototypes and vs trade stands, of which there was a good selection, and special thanks to Maggie and Gordon Gravett for their contribution, which appears to have been a tremendous success. Little Ruth is now determined she is bringing her own layout - and is showing great promise with scenics, thanks to good teachers...

Top marks from Ruth went to the layout with the real water, and the other big 7mm layout with the 'Duchess'. 'Modbury' particularly stood out, for me, and I was really pleased to finally see a bit of China 'in the flesh' - some lovely modelling along that back row of buildings and much more to come, I'm sure! Lots of friendly exhibitors who were patient with what seemed like a higher than usual quota of children, not all of whom were being dragged there by modeller parents!

Thank you to all the exhibitors who made a little girl and her Dad very happy with their outing. Just one little thing, if I may, and that's closing time - there was some doubt, it seemed about what time this was! When you have a little person you rely on being there late (or very early) in the day to have that bit more breathing space for your step(!), and I do understand it's a long day for operators, but please, humour us and keep running trains right up to the end!

Anyway, thank you everyone and I'm sure we'll be back.

I was disappointed that there were no signs from the M1

The M1 is about 10 miles away, signing from there would be very very difficult.

If, however, you mean the A1(M) then you will find the town centre quite well sign posted and the opening post in this thread, as well as all the exhibition literature, contains the postcode for the venue and other travel and parking information.

• Like 1

The best CMRA show I have been to, its rightly moving from an OK show limited by the premisses when at St Albans to match the quality we expect from Railex, now its at Stevenage.

The only comment was, in places in the main hall space was a bit tight, Saturday was a bit of a squese at times, which I guess in some ways is a good thing. A big well done

Thank you to all involved

• RMweb Gold

There was a sign on the replacement layout in that location apologising for the non appearance of Peter's New layout. I hope all is well as it was one of the layouts I wanted to see.

Unfortunately Peter North had to withdraw his new 00 layout Aerodrome Park from the exhibition at short notice due to him being poorly.

Thanks are due to Andrew Jones from the Luton Model Railway Club who filled the gap with the shortest version of his 7mm/ft scale layout the Stodden Hundred Light Railway.

I believe Peter has agreed to Aerodrome Park making its appearance at the show next year.

It was a super show and thanks are due to the team that organised it. There was some impressive modelling to be seen. Venue was good and parking brilliant (on the Sunday).  Catering not up to much but the Tesco Cafe next door was good value and not crowded.

It is a reasonably long trip for me but I will happily go again.

Martin Long

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would add my thanks for the posted shots and videos with a question if I may. Are there two Oldham King Street 7mm layouts in existance? Web searches seem to come up with two entirely different ones.

thanks,

Izzy

And class 504 departing, complete with sparks who'ld have thought it!

May I request some feedback on my Chinese HO layout BEIJIAO please. First of all let me say that the layout ran much better on Sunday than Saturday and so apologies to those whose visit coincided with the 20 minute complete shut down on Saturday afternoon - we now know why it happened and it won't happen again - hopefully!

I am not seeking praise just genuine impressions to help us make a better display next time.

post-4476-0-74949100-1547712395.jpg

post-4476-0-43690500-1547712415_thumb.jpg

Too few trains? Too main trains? Too fast? Too slow?

In particular I have received some comments about the layout frontage being grey - some have thought that a contrasting colour would be better.

May I suggest that thoughts are sent to me in a PM rather than clog up this thread.

I genuinely want your thoughts - good or bad!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

...Top marks from Ruth went to the layout with the real water, ...

Not only real water, but working tides, the layout in question being Tollesbury Quay, an outstanding piece of work, even better in the flesh (mud?) than in pictures.

Indeed the only real niggle about this show is that the quality of the exhibits is so high it is difficult to do them all justice in a day, particularly with two halls full. It really has blossomed remarkably on its new site - very well done to the organising team.

• RMweb Gold

Not only real water, but working tides, the layout in question being Tollesbury Quay, an outstanding piece of work, even better in the flesh (mud?) than in pictures.

Tollesbury Quay was awarded the Denis Moore Cup for the best scenic modelling on a layout appearing at the exhibition.

post-693-0-12430200-1547734160_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Tollesbury Quay was awarded the Denis Moore Cup for the best scenic modelling on a layout appearing at the exhibition.

attachicon.gifCMRA_2019_stand_31.jpg

Glad to hear this. I can't praise it highly enough for its atmosphere and sense of place and would happily have watched it all day (contra the song, thats about 7 tides). I've spent a fair amount of time on the East Anglian coast and you can practically smell the mud at Tollesbury Quay. The trains are rather nice too!

May I request some feedback on my Chinese HO layout BEIJIAO please. First of all let me say that the layout ran much better on Sunday than Saturday and so apologies to those whose visit coincided with the 20 minute complete shut down on Saturday afternoon - we now know why it happened and it won't happen again - hopefully!

I am not seeking praise just genuine impressions to help us make a better display next time.

attachicon.gifRUTHCMRA1.jpg

attachicon.gifRUTHCMRA2.jpg

In particular I have received some comments about the layout frontage being grey - some have thought that a contrasting colour would be better.

May I suggest that thoughts are sent to me in a PM rather than clog up this thread.

I know China has a pollution problem, but I'm not sure about the dark grey sky

attachicon.gifRUTHCMRA1.jpg

attachicon.gifRUTHCMRA2.jpg

Apartment blocks - superb architectural modelling.

Agreed, its a difficult one to comment on due to not knowing the subject. However I thought it was well thought out and modelled and was a super showcase for the stock. A very good model which was enjoyable to watch and a pleasant change of subject which I have never seen modelled

Thank you

Agreed, its a difficult one to comment on due to not knowing the subject. However I thought it was well thought out and modelled and was a super showcase for the stock. A very good model which was enjoyable to watch and a pleasant change of subject which I have never seen modelled

Thank you

Thanks to both of you.

The thing about China is that they tend not to mess about. If they want to redevelop an area they just get on and do it …… knock everything down and put up row upon row of identical blocks.....which made building the layout so much easier. Once I had developed a 'style' all I had to do was repeat, repeat, repeat. I could never have built 20+ feet of buildings if each one had been significantly different

If anyone wants to see how the layout developed I do have a thread on rmweb …..

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/87250-beijiao-a-chinese-ho-exhibition-layout/?hl=beijiao

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Just to let you know that the 2019 Chiltern Model Railway Exhibition photographic retrospective has just been uploaded to the CMRA website.

http://www.cmra.org.uk/stevenage19.html

The retrospective features photographs of all forty layouts, members of the trade, demonstrators and society stands.

All photographs were taken over the two days of the exhibition and we hope you find them worthy of viewing?

Provisional details of the CMRA 2020 show have also been uploaded.

http://www.cmra.org.uk/exhibition.html

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The retrospective features photographs of all forty layouts, members of the trade, demonstrators and society stands.

All photographs were taken over the two days of the exhibition and we hope you find them worthy of viewing?

Excellent set of photographs as usual Adrian, thank you.

Alan B (Mimram)