Inglenook Signalling

Hi All,

I'm starting to plan my next layout,which will be a 3-2-2 inglenook, based in the late transition era in the LMR. I'm planning on using colour light signalling, which will be functional, with electronic drivers, once I've figured out what the logic will be.

How would I signal it. I'm thinking a 3 aspect signal as a home on the exit, but I'm not sure how to signal the shunting signals. I'm not sure if I'll track circuit it, or the signals will be manually operated. I'm happy with the electrical side of things, just unsure of the location and number of aspects for the signals. I'll post a drawing tomorrow if I get the time to draw it, otherwise it'll probably be towards the weekend.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Hi All,

Apologies for the delayed response, I've have managed to draw up the track plan I'm working on. There will be a cassette fiddle yard on the right of the drawing, but I still need to design this in. I'm intending for the lower road to be the long curved siding, designed for 3 SLUs. The middle 2 roads will be considered 1 road for the Inglenook system, making 2 SLUs, the top road will also be intended for 2 SLUs. 

I'm currently thinking a position light on the heels of each point, making 4 and one on the long road, there will then be a position light and theatre indicator on the entries to each point. There will be a 3 aspect signal on the exits to the fiddle yard. It will be in a industrial, urban area in the late 1960s to the early 1970s, a small exchange sidings in the Trafford area of Manchester, between the MSC and BR lines. 

I'm currently developing the logic circuit for this, and I'm wondering if there what the best model of a ground position light, both with and without theatre indicators.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks in advance, 

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Apologies for the delayed response, I've have managed to draw up the track plan I'm working on. There will be a cassette fiddle yard on the right of the drawing, but I still need to design this in. I'm intending for the lower road to be the long curved siding, designed for 3 SLUs. The middle 2 roads will be considered 1 road for the Inglenook system, making 2 SLUs, the top road will also be intended for 2 SLUs. 

I'm currently thinking a position light on the heels of each point, making 4 and one on the long road, there will then be a position light and theatre indicator on the entries to each point. There will be a 3 aspect signal on the exits to the fiddle yard. It will be in a industrial, urban area in the late 1960s to the early 1970s, a small exchange sidings in the Trafford area of Manchester, between the MSC and BR lines. 

I'm currently developing the logic circuit for this, and I'm wondering if there what the best model of a ground position light, both with and without theatre indicators.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks in advance, 

Rob

Rob,  

Are you building it in order set yourself a task in signalling it?  The reason I ask that is because basically it sounds as if it doesn't need any signals at all apart from, possibly, a STOP board.  You certainly don't need any sort of route indicators on the position lights and I still wonder if there is a source of scale position light signals (there has been debate about this on another thread).   So the big question is why do you want any signals at all?

My background is in electronics, so I like to include things like signals on my layouts. I've attached the drawing, which I realised wasn't on my reply. I included some on my last layout, but wanted to improve the realism of the placement and types of signals that I used.

Thanks,

Rob

SCENIC_TRACK_PLAN.pdf

Edited by RobertW

"I... wanted to improve the realism of the placement and types of signals...."

To be honest, without wishing to appear rude, but IMHO putting anything in that layout beyond perhaps a STOP board or two would be completely contrary to 'realism' and merely defeat your object. But, as has been said, Rule 1 applies ....-)

Just what I needed something to relieve the boredom over xmas. This is a real challenge but it could be done  but it might not be found on the prototype . You do not say what gauge you are working in but it looks like "00" If it was "N" it would be easy. If I was building this layout I also would think about putting signals on it as well. So lets see ?  The stand alone siding on the left could be used for work mans trains if a narrow platform was provided in which case a R/G starter signal would be needed  and a R/Y home signal could be squeezed in If the layout was a foot longer. Position light shunt signals could be used at the exit from all three sidings the trick here would be to build a dummy road over bridge covering the buffer stops then nobody would know what the track layout was like on the other side . Sometimes in real life one shunt signal is put in the middle of the fork of the two tracks in this case the person in charge of shunting gives the right of way to the train which is to leave first when the signal clears. As for movements from the fiddle yard into the three sidings a fixed red signal  could be used with a shunt signal underneath the main aspect just before the points I have seen this kind of signal in real life . I hope this is of use to you if I come up with other ideas I will let you know.