Can anyone identify these two motors?

Simon G

These motors, plus a load of similarly ancient stuff were donated to my MRC, but we don’t know exactly what they are from. One is clearly a derivative of an X04, and is in need of brushes and springs, which I have. The other is a seven pole motor, and the brass wheel appears to serve as a flywheel.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these?

Thanks in advance, Simon

post-9029-0-21755800-1545145702_thumb.jpeg

post-9029-0-17173100-1545145727_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for that Stewart - I did wonder. Do you know if this is the type that is likely to be a high speed motor, thus not particularly suitable for railway use? I did think about using the armature and magnet ( which is good), in an X04 frame, as I have an X04 with a failed armature.

I'm pretty sure the spec is the same, but because it doesn't use a worm gear the axle speed will be faster. In my days as a service engineer for local modelshops, I remember cannibalising a couple for loco use.

Whatever you do, DON'T remove the magnet as a loss of magnetism will occur if there is no keeper plate. If you have a problem contact me, I still have a remagnetiser. (Free to RMWebbers, just pay the postage).

You will probably be able to just swop the front faceplate and armature. One of the holes (top one)will need removing at the rear (if that makes sense!). Look out for a small ball bearing at the end of the shaft.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

The second motor is a Romford flywheel drive unit. The motor shaft has  ball bearing thrust races each end, take my word for it, don't remove them to check or you will improve your Anglo Saxon bad language no end during reassembly. The fly wheel is  balanced and the unit is very powerful, I've used a couple before. However you may find its current consumption will bring sweat to the brow of a Gaugemaster unit! The worm fitted is for a 30-1 gear.

CAT

• Thanks 1

The top motor is Scalextric. the ones with an X04 type brush holder have an armature which can be used in a loco type X04 but the shaft is a bit short for the worm to get a good grip on and can run eccentrically especially if you use a markits etc grub screw secured worm.  There is a later "Power Sled" with plastic brush gear which bears on the top and bottom of the commutator in line with the pole pieces, and which has a cast front plate with axle bearings cast in which has a similar armature but with the  commutator moved 90 degrees to compensate similar to the Power bogie armature shortened,    These won't run in loco X04s, 

Oddly enough 5 pole armatures from, Ks Mk 1 and 2 motors etc when shortened will run happily in either, but are comparatively gutless, which is why I run Triang power bogie armatures in K's Mk1 and Mk2 motors and put the K's armatures in Hornby Dublo 1/2" motors which are lower geared with single start worms and can more easily cope with the loss of torque and benefit from the smoother running.

• 2 months later...