1 hour ago, John Tomlinson said:

Some lovely stuff on here.

Re. the Freightliner caboose, is the base wagon one of the new products, or have you upgraded the old Triang - Hornby version, if so it looks very convincing?

John.

Hi john,

The base vehicle is indeed an old Hornby Triang that has been lowered by about 2mm and had a lot of the webs cut out of it which were replaced replaced by .030" plasticard strips. I was busy with fifteen of them last year before I started this thread but I was spray painting them and as I do this outside winter put a stop for it is too cold. The FGA and FHA wagons will make an appearance sooner or later here once the weather warms up enough to spray outside.

Thanks for the compliment,

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Folks,

Only a small job, it is the lower part of the hoppers that represent the two compartments of the originals.

The sizes have been guesstimated from photographs and made up form .030" plasticard. Once in place and even though they are not yet painted I can hardly see them, although if they were not there they may well be missed.

DSCF0663.JPG.475945f07732924737f8c3e47ec72f2a.JPG

Four lower hoppers laid out in differing orientations

DSCF0664.JPG.b368bd628b302816bebfa30c79daa1af.JPG

Two lower hoppers glued into place.

Gibbo.

• Like 4

There is some impressive plasticard modelling going on here, Gibbo. I will follow the building of the Kearsley locos as I once had a cab ride in one at Heysham whilst visiting the railway operations there with the IRS.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Imaginary Prototype MGR Wagon

Hi Folks,

After buying enough HAA wagons to create a full formation of them I ended up with a couple of scrap bodies that were part of separate job-lots. One was a body and cradle with out a chassis and the other had smashed up W irons so with the bits I had I thought I might see what a bogie Variant might look like. The bogies are left overs from my initial Cartic-4 musings before I was assisted in the production of printed bogie of the correct type and the chassis is scratch built from .020" plasticard loosely based on the BAA steel carriers.

I estimate that it would carry 62 tons of coal and have a tare weight of 20 tons giving an axle load of 20.5 tons.

DSCF0665.JPG.e069d569031d65c815e9cada2dd8f578.JPG

DSCF0666.JPG.a7f65916ac47362803eb061252d464ac.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

That's an interesting concept, a stretched HAA (would it be a HAAAA?), looks quite convincing. It looks to me like a modern air braked version of the bogie hoppers used on the Peak Forest flows (I've forgotten the type code, sorry).

• Thanks 1

CSA/CSV Fly ash Presflo Hoppers

Hi Folks,

As regulars to this thread will know I'm quite good a being distracted, I have to say this is usually because of waiting for paint to dry.

My excuse, &c., &c.

As I have nearly finished the ICI Presflos, (see above excuse) I decided to buy a couple more and cut and shut them into the lengthened version that were used to carry power station fly ash.

There were two types, vacuum braked and air braked, they seem to be almost indistinguishable from each other and unlike the original type of Presflo the vacuum braked ones do not carry their vacuum cylinders on top of the foot plating at the ends of the chassis and are tucked away underneath. The brake gear arrangement is similar to the HAA hoppers in that two wheels are tread braked and two are disc braked except that this is a side to side arrangement and not diagonally opposite as with the HAA hoppers.

DSCF0673.JPG.dedf9dc5102975de3b1c5b71be90af02.JPG

An overly busy work bench.

This particular wagon is almost certainly going to be a one off for it takes two kits to build the body shell and would be both an expensive and wasteful way to build wagons. The other problem being it actually ends up 3mm too long for the ribs of the Dapol are spaced too far apart by .5mm on six of the panels. The oversized panels are, should you number then across the top 1-12, panels 3, 4, 5, 8, 9 & 10.

Vacuum Braked CSV shewing discharge side and tread brakes:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brflyashpresflocsv

Air Braked CSA shewing disc brakes:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brflyashcsa

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Folks,

I have been fitting pantographs and roof detail to E3013 and 84 009.

The pantographs are Sommerfeldt items that I bought years ago and although not quite right, with a bit of attention to the base frame work they don't look too bad. The insulators and bus bars are Jouef spare parts that I got as a joblot from eBay that I adapt to fit as the job dictates with air tanks made from Plastruct tube with the ends filled with Milliput. Both locomotives need to have a slight more work done before finish painting.

DSCF0675.JPG.5a2b2d65dd70a964512a4cf512433c0f.JPG

AL1 E 3013.

DSCF0674.JPG.b99276127ddefad65abb0abb05b57567.JPG

84 009.

Gibbo.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

I apologize for the ignorance, but what are the prototypes you're chasing?   Or are these freelance?

Hi Alfa,

To which model do you refer ?

Most of what is on the thread has real life provenance although there is the odd flight of fancy which I do make sure are noted as such.

Gibbo.

9 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

The electrics you posted most recently, in blue.

Hi Alfa,

The blue electrics are two of the first five classes of AC electric locomotives used upon the West Coast Main Line from 1959 until, depending upon class, the early 1980's / early 1990's. The original class notations were AL1, AL2, AL3, AL4 and AL5 later becoming classes 81, 82, 83, 84 and 85. from these early classes the AL6 later 86 was developed, later still the class 87 and then eventually as the first five classes were being withdrawn the final variant the class 90 was introduced.

You will find all of the types mentioned above from the following link:

https://aclocogroup.co.uk/

Gibbo.

Hi Folks,

Here is the latest progress with the CSV fly ash Presflo hopper.

The gaps in the sole bar have been filled as have the holes that the original kit brake gear should locate into along with the buffers and vacuum hoses. A hopper of new profile has been made and fitted along with extra ribs that were missing due to the cut and shut nature of the build and also the compensator strips over the main bearer ribs that flitch onto the sole bar. Other details include pipework and an instruction notice board.

The most time consuming job was to make and fit the brake gear this was made from .020" and .030" strips of plasticard cut from sheet and formed appropriately before gluing into place. The two tread brake shoes are from the kit, all the rest is scratch built. The disc brake calipers are a bit heavy looking but once cured I should be able to pare down the sections to lighten and taper them to make them look a little better.

As previously noted the model is 3mm longer than it should be because of the distance between some of the ribs upon the hopper, this makes quite a difference between the CSV fly ash Presflo and the standard CPV cement Presflo.

The roof has been filled and when cured it will be filed and sanded ready for the filler caps and walkway brackets.

DSCF0676.JPG.199171cc1ec08d75219da31253edd0e4.JPG

Disc brake side shewing discharge pipes.

DSCF0677.JPG.bfc121fc64a89d68a29f52e4daa88158.JPG

Tread brake side.

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Folks,

I have now finished the ICI Bulk Salt Presflo wagons, they were in the end painted in a mix of mainly BR Blue with a small amount of BR standard Loco Green mixed in with just a drop of Dark Roof Blue/Grey, Railmatch colours numbers, 207, 300 and 310 respectively.

The transfers are from CCT and the only problem I had was that the ICI roundels only just fit between the ribs of the Dapol model. I had to be very close to the printed decal when cutting them out so that they would fit in between and stay flat. The only diversion I had regarding transfers was that there is an instruction board above the sole bar so I cut the larger set of instructions and positioned it to the left hand side of the board and the smaller set of instructions was cut in half, trimmed to length and positioned to suit.

After the transfers had been sealed with a water based varnish I used Railmatch matt finish varnish to tone down the finish appropriately. The last job was to pick out the hand wheels and axle box ends in yellow.

I am pleased with how the models have turned out and I enjoyed the building of them.

DSCF0680.JPG.7a1bb2ccec11a24d25658d55919a43a1.JPG

View shewing the opposite sides of two of each of the four wagons built.

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Folks,

Here is the finished Fly Ash Presflo wagon,

The brake gear has been filed and reduced in section now that it has cured, also some edges have been rounded off to improve its appearance.

The vacuum brake and air discharge pipes have been added along with some ribbing on the re-profiled lower hopper section.

The walk way was cut from a single piece of .020" plasticard with small upstands glued into position on its underside, these are 3mm long at the outer edge and 2.5mm towards the centre line. Once the upstands had cured I spotted glue onto the ends of the upstands and then quickly positioned the whole on top of the tank using some steel weights to hold the assembly in place while curing.

The tank fillers are made from 3/16" Plastruct tube capped off with details made form .020" plasticard and bits of micro rod. I should have cut the tube shorter by the thickness of the capping as they ought to be level with the walk way but they are now .020" too high. It may be possible to slice them off once they are cured file the bottoms of them and glue them back on but that may not happen.

This wagon is a one off and has been built for reference for a possible future project for the work involved is far too great of an undertaking to be able to create a rake of any prototypical length and retain consistency of build quality. With the mention of build quality if you look carefully you may notice that the sole bar is not overly straight !

DSCF0678.JPG.58069d35325c699c7add8cc0e0951d47.JPG

Disc braked side shewing discharge pipework.

DSCF0679.JPG.b44c97fecadc5ff78e62d043eaf5b008.JPG

Tread braked side shewing vacuum train pipe.

Gibbo.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Can I add 2 likes - one for the continuing good and inspirational modelling, and the other for your use of the somewhat archaic but rather pleasing form "shewing"  :good:

11 minutes ago, JDW said:

Can I add 2 likes - one for the continuing good and inspirational modelling, and the other for your use of the somewhat archaic but rather pleasing form "shewing"  :good:

My dear JDW,

What else would you expect from a man that wears a hat of the style that is shewn upon page 3 of this very thread.

I was once marked down by 1% in a piece of work that handed in for my Degree course work some years ago for the use of the word shewn. I complained to the stimulus-response type tutor I had but to no avail, so I wrote to the Professors administering the course and I got my mark. I became the only one to get a 100% mark in that module out of the whole year.

I then got bored with the whole boring nonsense that it was for I did not want to spend my life doing hard sums, while wearing a suit, in an artificially lit office. So I stopped wasting my money, chucked in engineering, moved to the middle of nowhere and went self employed as a joiner.

Should have done it ten years earlier.

That was them shewn !!!

Cheers,

Gibbo.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Why good Sir, I should have recalled your modelling hat, I beg forgiveness.  I have to say what an impressive piece of hattery it is.  Do you find the choice of hattage improves your modelling?  And well done on getting the deserved 100% in the end!  

50 minutes ago, JDW said:

Why good Sir, I should have recalled your modelling hat, I beg forgiveness.  I have to say what an impressive piece of hattery it is.  Do you find the choice of hattage improves your modelling?  And well done on getting the deserved 100% in the end!  

If nothing else it keeps my head warm along with an air of Dumbledoresque ridiculousness !

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Hi Folks,

Here is the freshly painted Fly Ash Presflo Hopper. For a comparison the Fly Ash Presflo is pictured next to one of Dapol's standard Cement Presflo wagons.

When it is dry I shall be measuring it up and doing a drawing of it to send off, along with the model, to an accomplice to see what he makes of it.

DSCF0683.JPG.cec9537a18390f6f589c6946a27528fa.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Not much modelling work but plenty of drawing has been done despite being inconvenienced by a full week of work disrupting my life ! I have been developing a drawing of the CSV / CSA Fly Ash Presflo Tank for a feasibility into whether a print is a worth while project.

The dimensions have been worked out using the Dapol C040 Presflo kit and the known wheel base of the CSV / CSA wagon types. The photographs upon Paul Bartlett's site have also been useful for working out details by scaling various details as seen in various images and taking averages. The drawing may not therefore be absolutely accurate but it does so far look right on paper, also that my cut and shut test model looks right despite being 2.5mm too long

I have so far drawn a general arrangement, a detail of a "W" iron and axle-box, along with a pipe and rod drawing. Certain details have been left off the GA so that it does not become too complicated, for instance the brake gear and filler cap clamping and neck ring compensator details. The ladder and walk ways have not been drawn for they will be brass etchings as with the Cartic-4 should I ever pull my finger out and find a supplier to produce them .

Not the best photographs, but here are the drawings:

DSCF0688.JPG.e689d3c268d2808b33e566d3f7569d51.JPG

General Arrangement drawing.

DSCF0689.JPG.b091fac475569e696e7486c1998f4a37.JPG

"W" Iron and Axle Box drawing.

DSCF0690.JPG.b98f97a853528acda679cf7275fc6573.JPG

Pipe and Rod drawing,

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 20/02/2019 at 22:58, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

Here is the freshly painted Fly Ash Presflo Hopper. For a comparison the Fly Ash Presflo is pictured next to one of Dapol's standard Cement Presflo wagons.

When it is dry I shall be measuring it up and doing a drawing of it to send off, along with the model, to an accomplice to see what he makes of it.

DSCF0683.JPG.cec9537a18390f6f589c6946a27528fa.JPG

Gibbo.

Having several times pondered on whether this was possible, but not tried it (as they are a little out of place in the West Highlands), it is great to see your work and comments Gibbo; it doesn't look too long to me (even with your admission that it is,) so I think you have pulled it off incredibly well.

Very nice work as always! :yes:

1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

Having several times pondered on whether this was possible, but not tried it (as they are a little out of place in the West Highlands), it is great to see your work and comments Gibbo; it doesn't look too long to me (even with your admission that it is,) so I think you have pulled it off incredibly well.

Very nice work as always! :yes:

Hi Martyn,

If the print goes ahead you could have one or two of those instead of doing the cut and shut that I have done. The main reason for the cut and shut is as additional information along with the drawings for a chap that does the 3d print construction files.

Progress, when made, will be posted for critical analysis.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

BAA Steel Carriers

Hi Folks,

I've been busy in the real world, ie. not toy trains, for most of the last month and so not much has been going on or posted on this thread model wise.  Any way,  with the kitchen and bathroom finished, considerably less dust and mess  about the place here I am back.

I have always fancied a rake of steel carriers to put behind a pair of early AC electrics and so rather than complete any of the above projects I went straight out and bought five of Cambrian's BAA steel carrier kits. I have built various Cambrian kits before and they always seem to go together well so I thought why not, this with the added bonus that they are a third of the price of bought ones and I get to build them my self.

The kits went together well enough although I find that Cambrians method of using a 45* bevel as a mating surface in corners a little tricky. I have to say I much prefer that there is a square edge and a rebate, as with other kits to be a better system, although only minor detail that with care is easy to sort out though. I found that when assembling, fixing the decks to the frame sides it is best to position the decks appropriately and then secure one end to the head stock using a steel straight edge placed between the ribs bearing upon the top of the frame, a gentle squeeze then finds the level through the sides and the deck bye way of the straight edge. Once both ends are fixed I can work from the middle out in either direction to ensure the top edges of the frames are flush with the decks and that the sides are straight .The only real gripe with the kits is that there is a web between all the ribs in the tops of the decking that requires filing out to give the correct end on profile. I suspect that these ribs act as runners to ensue that the deck ribs do not void during the moulding process, more of a fiddly job than a problem though.

So far all five have been built up and the brass bearing fitted to the bogies, I have only wheels enough for one with some on order, with the first coat of bauxite applied. I have ordered two sets transfers from Steve at Railtec so that I may build a second batch when I buy some more.

DSCF0695.JPG.a30e62354c3fc569706d4f3b7651c19b.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2