Hi Folks,

I have just had a splendid Idea.

As I have already built a Gloucester 128 parcels van from a Triang Mk2 coach it would seem sensible to keep it in style by using the same donor body shell as the basis for the Gloucester 100 unit. Both the plan of the end profiles and the body side tumblehome profile are a good representation and of course it will match match my Lima powered 'Triang' Gloucester 128.

My plan is to shorten the Mk2 appropriately to suit a 57' under frame and then cut out slot for the windows which will be from a Hornby BRCW 110 to be fitted into  the slot. I have a chassis for a BRCW 110 centre car which may be altered to represent the Gloucester 100 engines and equipment.

The idea will either be brilliant or we may all have something to laugh at !

Link shewing a good photograph of the side body profile:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/2580

In other news, not only have the mudguards for the latest Ducati custom been painted, the rail-busses have been undercoated white.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Adding Link
  • Like 3

Hi Folks,

I've made a start on the Gloucester 100 DBMS, possibly the quickest in my head to on my bench yet ! As you will see it so far comprises of a cut down Mk2 which will have the windows from a Hornby BRCW 110 spliced into it.

I have cut the off cut down in height to 1" below the cantrail and filled to shape the lower edge and so far it looks good on the Hornby 110 under frame that I have for it. In the picture below the Mk2 body is mounted upon the underframe from a DC Kits Derby 108.

DSCF0764.JPG.5107dfa71f6af77fa3ac67058304daf4.JPG

The beginnings of a Gloucester 100 or, if you like, a Mk2 DMU centre car.

Gibbo.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

I've made a start on the Gloucester 100 DBMS, possibly the quickest in my head to on my bench yet ! As you will see it so far comprises of a cut down Mk2 which will have the windows from a Hornby BRCW 110 spliced into it.

I have cut the off cut down in height to 1" below the cantrail and filled to shape the lower edge and so far it looks good on the Hornby 110 under frame that I have for it. In the picture below the Mk2 body is mounted upon the underframe from a DC Kits Derby 108.

DSCF0764.JPG.5107dfa71f6af77fa3ac67058304daf4.JPG

The beginnings of a Gloucester 100 or, if you like, a Mk2 DMU centre car.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

I look forward to seeing how this evolves.  I do like it when other people take a different route to get the same result that I have been trying to achieve.  

• Thanks 1

Hi Folks,

I have changed plan very slightly but only in so much as to cut out the complete sides of the Mk2 as it was easier than cutting a slot.

After assembling the sides of the BRCW 110 in the correct order to represent a Gloucester 100 I cut the bottom of the body side off just above where it starts to curve. The cut down section was than laid over the Mk2 sides with the to edges being lined up against the rebated edge of a mitre box that I have and the Mk2 side was then scribed to this line. Once the scribed line was cut and filled it was glued to the BRCW 110 body section. Before doing this I glued a .020" strip to the lower edge to make sure that outer surfaces lined up flush with each other.

Once cured I glued them back into the roof section, as yet the brake end section is to be re fitted as it was removed as the whole will be two razor saw cuts shorter. A job that I should have done before reattaching the body sides was to file the window frames off as it would have been easier as a strip on a flat surface rather than as part of the body side for the cant rail guttering will make filling difficult.

DSCF0766.JPG.bea62c554928843599cdf8148a948977.JPG

View of the outside of the body side strip and roof section.

DSCF0767.JPG.f404414267c86275117a58734104f3af.JPG

View of the inside of the body side strip and roof section.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Folks,

Filing the ends of the donor Mk2 coach to match the slight angle of the prototype didn't work out very well so these have now been cut out one at a time and new plasticard ones inserted. The body shell is now basically complete except for small details around the buffer beams and filling and sanding.

As measured the Hornby chassis is 32.5mm wide but unfortunately the dimension between the inner faces of the body were 31.5mm, a bit of work with the Dremmel to form a rebate in the inner lower edge of the body and a slight chamfer on the to outer edge of the chassis has eased the fit between them and the body now sits suitably positioned.

When in place the sharp curve of the tumblehome and the slab side seem good enough to pass as correct. The next jobs will be to reinforce the ends, mark out and cut the windows and file the dome ends over the cab and gangway ends.

DSCF0772.JPG.381e22bd38dd3c217d36a2be215dc00b.JPG

General view of the body mounted upon the chassis.

DSCF0774.JPG.22f805daf8352dc9f9c7b108f366bcf2.JPG

View shewing the profile of the body side.

Gibbo.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hi Folks,

Work upon the Gloucester 100 has been on going with it now in undercoat to shew up all the irregularities that need to be attended to. These are mainly minor joint lines that need a minor scrape of filler followed by a second attempt with the wet and dry paper.

If there is one thing that the draftsmen of the 1950's designed DMU's were good at it was subtle shapes ! The Gloucester 100 cab front is surprisingly plain while at the same time being very distinctive in a way that is difficult to see or understand how the shape works to see. I have to say that the cab front didn't quite look right which is partly why I painted it in undercoat because I thought that looked too narrow somehow, now undercoated it looks as good as expected working from photographs.

DSCF0776.JPG.d5fdc2ef38cfcfd3e18472a92bbe98c2.JPG

All of the other DMU bodies have been having roof vents, hand rails and water tank filler pipes added. If I think I can stand to do door hinges I might give them a go but these may well yet be missed off as too much like trouble. Time will tell.

Gibbo.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Very impressive Gibbo, doesn't look like too much filling is needed. One distinctive aspect of the Class 100 cab end - especially a full yellow end - is how the turnunder at the lower corners aligns with the solebars; when combined with the lower cab edge being a tad lower than the bodyside edges it looks almost like a valence around the buffers, especially with being painted yellow. This photo by "Blackwatch 55013" on Flickr shows it quite well:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackwatch55013/6283713200

Not sure how easy it would be to achieve on a model though.

Quite ingenious method you have used to achieve the turnunder on the sides, never would have thought of it myself. Looking forward to seeing further progress.

Martyn.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

24 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Very impressive Gibbo, doesn't look like too much filling is needed. One distinctive aspect of the Class 100 cab end - especially a full yellow end - is how the turnunder at the lower corners aligns with the solebars; when combined with the lower cab edge being a tad lower than the bodyside edges it looks almost like a valence around the buffers, especially with being painted yellow. This photo by "Blackwatch 55013" on Flickr shows it quite well:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackwatch55013/6283713200

Not sure how easy it would be to achieve on a model though.

Quite ingenious method you have used to achieve the turnunder on the sides, never would have thought of it myself. Looking forward to seeing further progress.

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

What you point out is just one of those subtle shapes I commented upon. I think that those valence bits will be stuck on to the cab front, should there be enough room, backing strips once the body is ready for fitting to the chassis. Not that I would ever make it up as I go along !

As for filler I mixed up a pea sized amount of Milliput and only used a quarter of it, the leftover was pushed into the corners of the the undersides of the cab roof domes.

Cheers,

Gibbo.

• Like 2

FGA / FFA Freightliner Flats

Hi folks, here is a post that is somewhat retrospective as I did all of the conversion work on these wagons last September before starting this thread, the painting of them was delayed for they were to be spray painted and the weather became either too wet or too cold. The wagons that I have used are the Hornby Triang Freightliner flat wagons which are quite accurate to scale in that they are the correct length and width and also the bogies are a fair representation of the originals.

I have assembled fifteen flat wagons in three sets of five made up of two FGA and three FFA wagons per set. the wagons are pretty much identical except that the FGA wagons are found at the ends of the sets and have conventional buffers and draw gear at one end and a semi fixed coupling bar at the other, the FFA wagons have the coupling bars at both ends and may only work in between the FGA type wagons. The FGA wagons having buffers are 63'6" a foot longer than the FFA at 62'6". Freightliner flats were originally conceived as being utilised as five wagon sets as described above but subsequently have been altered in set length to accommodate traffic flows and may be found in two, three, four and five wagon sets, the two Wagon sets being of only the FGA types coupled together. A single FGA wagon was converted to have buffers at each end and were designated FGB and later FJB.

For further information:

https://www.ltsv.com/w_profile_018.php

The FGA / FFA tye of container flat wagon was a development of a four wagon prototype set built at Shildon in 1964, I built a model of it last August and it is detailed here:

There are various but easily fixed faults with the Triang Moulding listed below;

1. There are webs in the framing which ought to be open as the originals are space frame construction from angle and channel sections of steel.
  2. Container box locating pips require removal.
  3. The sole bar side framing is too shallow.
  4. No twist locks are fitted to hold down the containers, this was actually correct as originally designed but all early wagons retrofitted and subsequent builds supplied as from new.
  5. There are no buffers at all on the Triang model which is fine for the FFA wagons but not for the FGA's that would couple to the locomotive or another set of wagons.
  6. The ride height is also incorrect as the wagon sits 2mm to high, this is to allow clearance for Traing's  over scale flanges as fitted to early models.

Dealing with fault 1 it is simply a matter of using a razor saw to cut down the sides of the cross stretchers, score a line between the cuts, snap off carefully add file to depth to achieve the look of the framing.  Before doing this it is best to cut off all of the box locating pips and open out the deck framing, this deals with fault 2. The model will become very flexible once you have done this and so it is best that it handled carefully. The framing then has to be replaced, for this I used a strip of .040" plasticard cut to 1.5mm wide which was cut to length, creased in the appropriate place and glued to the under side of the cross stretchers. This job is best done on a flat surface and once glued into position a suitable weight used to hold the whole flat while the glue cures or you may induce bend and twist into the wagon. Droppers were added made form .030" square micro strip between the cross stretchers.

Fault 3 is simply a case of gluing a strip of .040" plasticard to the under side of the centre portion of the sole bar, the only preparation needed is to take a small triangular section off the end of the cross stretches where they meet the sole bar so that the strip will sit flat upon the underside of the sole bar. I again used .040" plasticard for this cut slightly wider that the sole bar so that when it the glue had cured it could be filled flat, the ends were chamfered off to suit.

Fault 4 is that there are no twist locks, these are easily made from 1.6mm Plastruct angle glued on to the sole bar at the appropriate centres, the doubles are 6mm long and the singles 3.5mm long. The angles once cured had 1.5mm long .030" micro rod glued to them to represent the locking bars. There are five pairs of double twist locks with two pairs of single twist locks along each side of the wagon set a 40mm centres. Starting in the middle of the wagon is the best way to set out the twist locks so that they form an even appearance along its length.

DSCF0762.JPG.ab3e6d72dd78f9842b56d81eb0280f76.JPG

Shewing the frame, sole bar and twist locks, also seen are the air tank and distributor details made up from Plastruct tubes and rods.

Fault 5 is the coupling arrangements and all that is required id the fitting of head stock beams of the appropriate type and applicable draw gear. The head stocks for the intermediate couplings are 3mm deep and the full width of the wagon with a slot in the middle of 8mm X 2mm to allow side clearance for the coupling bar. The ends are best chamfered inward after fitting to the underside of the ends of the Triang framing. To make the location for the coupling bars I formed a Tee shaped piece with a 1mm hole in the top of it to which i fitted a piece of 1mm micro rod that projected 2mm. This was then glued into place in the square aperture behind the head stock. The coupling bars them selves are made from .080" plasticard 25mm x 3mm with 1mm holes at 21 mm about the centre.

For the outer ends of the FGA's The head stock was made up form two strips of .080" plasticard one being cut 4mm by the width of the wagon and the other 8mm by the width of the wagon, once fixed in place and the glue cured I reduced the ends of the outer piece of head stock to give the appearance of thinner plating while being stronger in the centre where the hook passes through.

DSCF0755.JPG.99e6885bd79aeb53b2c4b086fb6f9aac.JPG

Underside view of coupling bar in place.

DSCF0756.JPG.ae90b0ad990625f5bf487ac2849bc1bc.JPG

Top view of coupling bar in place.

DSCF0757.JPG.8fea3c1387482063d828e2ea79ee132b.JPG

Underside view of coupling bar removed and also shewing the slots in the head stocks.

DSCF0758.JPG.9f2f092c936da70cdf53d6b2001e2985.JPG

Underside view of the head stock of an FGA headstock.

DSCF0759.JPG.b2fb3dbc9ddd5cea963ee2d49af93eae.JPG

Side view of an FGA head stock.

DSCF0760.JPG.1b3421fba182000f8cac7409bddb7cb8.JPG

Top view of an FGA head stock.

Fault 6 is the issue of the ride height, this is altered by removing the bogies and filling down the pivot boss that locates the bogie's bolster by 2mm. Once this is done the flanges of the wheels foul the small framing ribs on the underside of the moulding, should they be filled flat to the infills between the ribs this will alleviate the problem. the bogie pivots were replaced by gluing 11mm long pieces of .1875" Plastruct tube into the hole in the pivot left by the brass rivet, the top of the tube being filled and filed flush. to secure the bogies a 3mm long piece of Plastruct tube forms a retaining collar that may be glued in place over the new bogie pivot.

Other minor details were the fitting of air tanks and brake distributors along with brake hand wheels, the positioning of these may be gauged from the photographs.

The first batch of Freightliner flats were painted black and had wheel mounted brake discs upon the bogies all later batches and had axle mounted disc brakes and were painted in BR Rail Blue to denote the different types. I have painted my wagons in the later blue livery with transfers by Railtec.

DSCF0786.JPG.8ba9b103d24d8c0738e24390cdd09f83.JPG

The ends of three Freightliner sets.

DSCF0784.JPG.ff8c9496e1a606bc25cbb989ffded2de.JPG

General view shewing various containers and Freightliner caboose.

DSCF0785.JPG.1ce49a5b29d547a8344c5d84959cebf0.JPG

General view shewing my tip of a kitchen.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Additional information about twist lock dimensions
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

Hi Folks,

It's been DMU day today mainly concentrating upon the underfloor equipment of the Cravens 105 Power Twin. I decided to scratch  build the underfloor equipment as the DC Kits kit only comes with enough components to make a power trailer set and as I wished that the details should match I decided that this was the best way of going about it. all of the parts were made form various thickness' of plasticard and pieces of Plastruct tube for the rounded sections such as air tanks and drive housings on the engines. The radiators were made up from two pieces of .080" plasticard with the outer face scribed with a junior hack saw blade and edged with micro strip.

The reason for the power twin is so that I can have model of 53812 which is of the DMCL type to go with my Gloucester 100 DMBS 53355, when I run it as a Cravens power twin it will be with Cravens 105 DMBS 50779 with which it ran with until 1978. Between 1978 and 1983 it ran as a three car with a Metropolitan Cammel class 101 DMBS 50311 and TCL 59129 and later Gloucester 100 DMBS 50342 and Derby 108 DTCL 56267. All of the above information is from railcar.co.uk should you be as inquisitive as I am.

DSCF0788.JPG.f6e6dbef2466618ee1a0387e0f95828d.JPG

Cravens 105 Power Twin 53812 and 50779.

DSCF0789.JPG.fef92d07dd20e0af558ca81411263028.JPG

Gloucester-Cravens hybrid 53355 and 53812.

Work has progressed on the Gloucester 100 in that I made a mistake with the marker lights and placed two lights over the buffers instead of just the single light in the cab dome, it does help when I look properly at the photographs ! The underfloor detail has yet to be fitted to this car and it is likely that it will also feature scratch built details as has the Cravens above although I have a pair of DC Kit cast white metal engines to use that will save me a job. Since its last appearance it has had the route indicator, roof vents and exhaust pipes fitted.

Gibbo.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Ragtag said:

Any more news on the 141? :)

HI Ragtag,

Replacement of central heating has taken priority recently and the whole house is a bit of a tip as a result !

The bodies are part painted and so I may post some photographs of those later today if I get time.

I have also been finishing off my latest bike project pictured below.

DSCF0809.JPG.1e3d874ce09f623447e3d7e23951f539.JPG

DSCF0811.JPG.3dcf8d9ff3d6d8039830479a544eb3c1.JPG

Livery experts will spot that it is probably the worlds only Ducati to be painted in Great Eastern Railway livery !

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Bike photograph
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 31/08/2019 at 08:03, Gibbo675 said:

HI Ragtag,

Replacement of central heating has taken priority recently and the whole house is a bit of a tip as a result !

The bodies are part painted and so I may post some photographs of those later today if I get time.

I have also been finishing off my latest bike project pictured below.

DSCF0809.JPG.1e3d874ce09f623447e3d7e23951f539.JPG

DSCF0811.JPG.3dcf8d9ff3d6d8039830479a544eb3c1.JPG

Livery experts will spot that it is probably the worlds only Ducati to be painted in Great Eastern Railway livery !

Gibbo.

What kind of First-Generation DMU is that??

• Funny 1

On 02/09/2019 at 23:04, JDW said:

Like. But you appear to have forgotten the windscreen. :jester:

Don't panic, my helmet has a visor.

On 06/09/2019 at 15:21, SmartRail said:

That's a beast - how does the geometry of the forks work out??

The links are arranged so that the axle follows a very flat 'S' shape that follows almost to within 1.5 mm ether side of centre line and thereopre rake and trail are almost unaltered.

On 06/09/2019 at 21:45, AlfaZagato said:

Even hardtail, that probably handles rough track than I hear tell of Pacers...

The front end is sprung and the seat is also sprung so no trips to the chiropractor.....yet !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Thought of your scratch build when I saw this at the NRM today....:yes:20191013_152830.jpg.4658e14366410956db0f65ec20404f46.jpg20191013_152823.jpg.70f06b020598fa0200f4fa74a70eaebb.jpg

Cheers Martyn,

I must get on and do something to put on the thread sometime soon, it has been a little bereft of late.

Gibbo.

• Like 1