9 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Tom,

That is posher than the one I built by quite some amount !

Gibbo.

I must apologies Gibbo!
I thought I was in my thread! No wonder I couldn't find the post!

Do you want me to delete it?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Cheers Martyn,

I must get on and do something to put on the thread sometime soon, it has been a little bereft of late.

Gibbo.

Just don't do anything on the railbuses. 'Cos then I'll feel bad that I haven't done anything either, and that I should get on with them... :jester:

21 hours ago, Tom F said:

I must apologies Gibbo!
I thought I was in my thread! No wonder I couldn't find the post!

Do you want me to delete it?

I wouldn't worry about that, if you can laugh at your self I don't mind joining you !!!

20 hours ago, JDW said:

Just don't do anything on the railbuses. 'Cos then I'll feel bad that I haven't done anything either, and that I should get on with them... :jester:

I was thinking of either the Kearsley shunters or the Glousester DMU, you are safe for now.

19 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Join the club! Lots to do and not enough time....:mocking_mini:

It would seem form the above posts that at least Tom F is able to manage his time, if only he could find his thread.

Cheers Chaps,

Gibbo.

• Funny 2

On 13/10/2019 at 22:10, Signaller69 said:

Thought of your scratch build when I saw this at the NRM today....:yes:20191013_152830.jpg.4658e14366410956db0f65ec20404f46.jpg20191013_152823.jpg.70f06b020598fa0200f4fa74a70eaebb.jpg

Washing machine door or possibly a tumble dryer? Is the other side exactly the same ?

What is this some sort of crew cabin?

Edited by relaxinghobby
Addition of notes

1 hour ago, relaxinghobby said:

Washing machine door or possibly a tumble dryer? Is the other side exactly the same ?

What is this some sort of crew cabin?

Hi There,

It is a Freightliner Caboose and I built one earlier in the year, the build is shewn and described starting near the bottom of page two of this thread..

Gibbo.

• 1 month later...

LMS and BR Cowans Sheldon 30 Ton Cranes

Hi Folks,

I've finally pulled my finger out and got the toys out and back onto the bench. Don't worry I have't started yet another project, it's more that I've finally got around to doing some more on a previously nearly started job.

The two cranes featured were started two and a half years ago after buying Peter Tatlow's series of books titled, Railway Breakdown Cranes which was originally two volumes but since a third volume has been added featuring cranes used for other purposes, mostly civil engineering. I have so far resisted starting an LMS Craven Brothers 50 ton crane.

The two cranes here are actually quite well on in construction running upon scratch built carriages with crabs made from bashed Hornby 75 ton crabs. The LMS crane has a match truck made from a Lime six wheel milk tank chassis with a scratch built body and the BR version has a match truck made from a Hornby VTG ferry wagon again with a scratch built body. Both cranes have scratch built jibs, the LMS one having a riveted plate and angle iron jib and the BR one having a weld fabricated plate jib.

Today's work has been the manufacture of the various lay shafts and gears that transfer power from the engines to the various powered functions of the crane which are hoisting of the block, derricking of the jib, slewing of the crab and traversing of the carriage. The winding drums and engine details were already complete before today and so it has only been the smaller shafts and gears that have been made and fitted. Another job was to make the six control levers and the brake wheels in the cabs of the cranes, I also made the same for my BR Cowans Sheldon 75 ton crane which is most part finished except for the hook and block, rigging and transfers which are only currently available for the yellow version of the crane.

DSCF0852.JPG.e4f31fa6f81b02a2d60a0d456207ac37.JPG

Power train detail of the LMS and BR 30 ton cranes also shewing the control levers.

DSCF0853.JPG.af0c39782ba55d2932de97c5ed506c0c.JPG

Control levers of the 75 ton crane.

Gibbo.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

I've finally pulled my finger out and got the toys out and back onto the bench. Don't worry I have't started yet another project, it's more that I've finally got around to doing some more on a previously nearly started job.

The two cranes featured were started two and a half years ago after buying Peter Tatlow's series of books titled, Railway Breakdown Cranes which was originally two volumes but since a third volume has been added featuring cranes used for other purposes, mostly civil engineering. I have so far resisted starting an LMS Craven Brothers 50 ton crane.

The two cranes here are actually quite well on in construction running upon scratch built carriages with crabs made from bashed Hornby 75 ton crabs. The LMS crane has a match truck made from a Lime six wheel milk tank chassis with a scratch built body and the BR version has a match truck made from a Hornby VTG ferry wagon again with a scratch built body. Both cranes have scratch built jibs, the LMS one having a riveted plate and angle iron jib and the BR one having a weld fabricated plate jib.

Today's work has been the manufacture of the various lay shafts and gears that transfer power from the engines to the various powered functions of the crane which are hoisting of the block, derricking of the jib, slewing of the crab and traversing of the carriage. The winding drums and engine details were already complete before today and so it has only been the smaller shafts and gears that have been made and fitted. Another job was to make the six control levers and the brake wheels in the cabs of the cranes, I also made the same for my BR Cowans Sheldon 75 ton crane which is most part finished except for the hook and block, rigging and transfers which are only currently available for the yellow version of the crane.

Power train detail of the LMS and BR 30 ton cranes also shewing the control levers.

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

The 30 ton cranes are looking good. I have considered making a 45 ton Cowans Sheldon crane from the Hornby model but not  30 ton. I dived into my plastic card box to make mine.

s006.jpg.74d2ac30d4181aa962af29252eefe19c.jpg

One of the Mostyn gang has built a BR version and Paul Wade (Lyddrail) has made a BR diesel-hydraulic version. They are an ideal size for most layouts, 75 tonners were mainly confined to the very large loco depots and the main lines.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

Gibbo.

Lovely stuff, excellent detail there on the drums and shafts... i can feel another project looming! NO,NO i must finish what iv got going.....

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gibbo

The 30 ton cranes are looking good. I have considered making a 45 ton Cowans Sheldon crane from the Hornby model but not  30 ton. I dived into my plastic card box to make mine.

s006.jpg.74d2ac30d4181aa962af29252eefe19c.jpg

One of the Mostyn gang has built a BR version and Paul Wade (Lyddrail) has made a BR diesel-hydraulic version. They are an ideal size for most layouts, 75 tonners were mainly confined to the very large loco depots and the main lines.

Hi Clive,

The main reason for the 75 ton crane is that I used to work the one at Bury back in the day when I worked at Riley and Son's. It was the crane from Ashford and had been converted to diesel Hydraulic when I used it. The same reasoning behind the Craven Brothers 50 ton is that I worked that at Bury also.

My crane collection so far is:

1. Cowans Sheldon 10 ton hand crane, Hornby model.
  2. Booth Rodley 15 ton hydraulic crane, Dapol kit.
  3. Cowans Sheldon 30 ton LMS steam crane, scratch built.
  4. Cowans Sheldon 30 ton BR steam crane, scratch built.
  5. Cowans Sheldon 75 ton BR steam crane, Hornby model modified.

Cranes in contemplation are:

1. Craven Brothers 50 ton LMS steam crane, scratch built.
  2. Cowans Sheldon 45 ton LNER steam crane, Hornby Dublo, modified.
  3. Cowans Sheldon 30 ton L&Y steam crane, scratch built.
  4. Coles 10 ton diesel electric crane, scratch built.
  5. Taylor Hubbard 8.5 ton diesel electric tail-less crane, scratch built.

4 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Lovely stuff, excellent detail there on the drums and shafts... i can feel another project looming! NO,NO i must finish what iv got going.....

Hi James,

The work on the cranes is my attempt at actually finishing off jobs that have been nearly started !

Gibbo.

• Like 2

Hi Folks,

More work upon the cranes today, the are now a slight less nearly started !

I have made up the diesel generator set and fuel tanks for the BR 30 ton crane and for both 30 ton cranes I have made the bridles for the sheaves of the jib's rigging. Hand wheels for the hand brakes and dog clutches for the drive to the wheels have also been fitted along with the gusset pieces for the warwicking shackles on the carriage of the BR 30 ton crane. A job that is hard to spot are the hinge pins on the buffers of the 30 tn cranes. Both the BR 75 ton and BR 30 ton cranes received the boxes mounted on the right hand side of the crabs, for some reason I didn't fit one to the 75 ton when I built it.

DSCF0854.JPG.376894d8e69e2b622bdb9c5545fc4e59.JPG

Here is another little project that was delivered yesterday, collector types will have a dickie-fit but I don't care.

DSCF0855.JPG.5542bfa230552e844ce0e9e000a9d7f1.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, relaxinghobby said:

I like the cranes.

Are the gears and shafts for the mechanisms from a kit or are they homemade from plastic rod and tube? How did you make the gears?

Hi Mr Hobby,

You guessed correctly, bits of rod and plasticard discs with saw cuts to represent the teeth of the gears.

Only the winding drums rotate and may be turned  by either a screw driver or engaging a finger nail in the gears of the drum. Hopefully when finished and rigged the crane will work as intended.

Gibbo.

Smith Rodley 15 Ton Diesel Hydraulic Crane

Hi folks,

More crane carry on today, this time a Smith Rodley 15 ton diesel hydraulic conversion from a Dapol kit.

I have built the crab superstructure and most of the jib today along with cutting a shutting a GWR Macaw B into a Macaw H to form the jib runner. I already had the Macaw B when I built the first crane but didn't use it as was too long. I bought a Macaw H for my previous effort as it was the right length, this time I decided that I was too tight to buy another Macaw H, so cut and shut it is. An LNER eighth wheel tender chassis is currently being sourced from eBay as I have just found out, minutes ago, the bogie version was only sold into industry, see link below.

The tool boxes are glued directly to the top surface of the filled flat bed of the wagon and are made from .0030" plasticard. The jib support roller is .125" Plastruct tube with thin slices of the next size up glued onto the ends to form flanges. Strapping and hinges are from appropriate micro-strip and micro-rod.

The jib had been lengthened at its foot by cutting the end off and making a box from .020" plasticard that brides the gap cut into the channel section at the jib foot, the next operation will be to alter the swan neck as it is too short and set at the wrong angle. More on that another day. The drawings below give details of the pieces needed to make up the difference.

I may well do a sketch drawing of the tool boxes upon the runner wagon so that any one could make one more easily.

DSCF0856.JPG.80b53594d3e4f2f00b22d0348254166d.JPG

Previous effort next to today's effort.

Can any one identify the type of crane carriage in the picture that has not yet been mentioned ?

DSCF0521.JPG.5e7c382950c191129d95a305f723b33d.JPG

Jib foot extension and load indicator.

DSCF0522.JPG.fb2f82c6d57629ee9e58fbda3e54de87.JPG

Swan neck extension.

Gibbo.

• Like 4

Hi Folks,

It would seem that no one has answered the question posed in the last post as to the type of crane of which that carriage was in background of the photograph of the Smith Rodley cranes. So here it is a slightly further on in the build, does anyone know what type it is ?

DSCF0857.JPG.d51e345cc8b87724ef05ab23fc846ab9.JPG

The as yet 'unknown' crane !

Gibbo.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

Excellent crane builds. What are you using for the cables and how do you keep them straight? 

Hi There,

I use black cotton button thread as it is quite heavy, the cables look straight on the Booth Rodley crane because there is slight tension in them and the biggest chunk of lead that I can hide in the end of the jib !

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi There,

I use black cotton button thread as it is quite heavy, the cables look straight on the Booth Rodley crane because there is slight tension in them and the biggest chunk of lead that I can hide in the end of the jib !

Gibbo.

Thanks, that really helpful. I have found black cotton to be a bit "hairy" and not like the cables it supposed to be.  I have tried coating it with resin W (the glue on my fingers and pulling the cotton through) and that has been better.

• Thanks 1

Coles 10 ton Crane

Hi Folks,

As no one seems to know what kind of crane my latest build is the clue is now in the title !

All the same, today's work has been to fit the jib to the crab of the crane by way of pins into the jib foot, this was quite tricky getting the jib to line up to the centre line when down and to stand plumb when fully elevated. The hoist drum has been fitted and also the brackets that hold the derricking sheaves. I have made up the cab from the drawings in the Peter Tatlow book although I'm not sure if that there are different cab styles, certain photographs and types of cranes shew differences in cab design. The carriage has had buffers and couplings fitted and an LNER 21 ton plate wagon has been ordered as the basis of a jib runner.

DSCF0860.JPG.e4e19c7a19e6dd51081d4e3aec65ef5a.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Folks,

Here the latest from Smiths of Rodley (Leeds) and Coles of Sunderland.

The LNER tender frames arrived in the post today and so I got busy cutting and shutting them and forming a carriage form .030" plasticard incorporating the slewing ring from the kit. once this was suitably cured I built a sub frame to which the Dapol wheels were fitted. Other details upon the carriage are the two tanks were each made up from two pieces of .080" plasticard, steps on the ends of the carriage, hand wheels and propping jacks. Lastly the coupling hooks and shackles and the buffers taken form the kit were fitted.

DSCF0862.JPG.9ef696d8c8bbef5f90c6cd2057696a14.JPG

As this crane is for a friend that models late 1980's early 1990's the crane will be finished in yellow rather than the grey of my own crane.

The Coles crane has had cab access ladders, brake hand wheels and winding drum detail fitted. This crane will be finished in engineers olive with a white jib which will be correct for my 1970's period.

I have yet to work out exactly how the rigging works upon the shaft over the derricking drum and iff I can arrange it so that it will hoist the jib. The hoist will not be operational as I'm not confident that I could reasonably make it work.

DSCF0861.JPG.ed1830234b37c76d5bed073235b9bae1.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
On 08/12/2019 at 18:41, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

It would seem that no one has answered the question posed in the last post as to the type of crane of which that carriage was in background of the photograph of the Smith Rodley cranes. So here it is a slightly further on in the build, does anyone know what type it is ?

DSCF0857.JPG.d51e345cc8b87724ef05ab23fc846ab9.JPG

The as yet 'unknown' crane !

Gibbo.

Could it be a Coles 10 tonner? :tomato::tomato::tomato:

:blackeye:

10 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Could it be a Coles 10 tonner? :tomato::tomato::tomato:

:blackeye:

Clive, Clive, Clive,

Too late old lad, the question asked on Sunday, was answered yesterday due to an unfortunate lack of crane "neddery" generally.

Sorry no cigar !

Gibbo.

• Funny 1

Hi Folks,

I've been busy looking at Paul Bartlett's photographs of Coles cranes and I have reworked the cab of the Coles 10 ton DE. The front window has had the window deepened slightly along with a new cab side to allow the angled side of the cab and a new cab roof. The superstructure is now painted Engineers Olive so that I may fit the glazing, the cab roof section has not yet been fixed although it fits up as it should.

I have yet to alter the jib, also the bogies will in time receive attention as they are leftovers from the Dapol Booth Rodley kit and as such they are the wrong pattern.

DSCF0863.JPG.14acff7e55c7e7e50fa4acfc1790e4b6.JPG

Here is my latest thread which is especially for cranes, do take a look:

Gibbo.

• Like 2