On 08/02/2020 at 11:10, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

What I have found is a photograph within this gallery:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightlinercontainer/h3D325862#had0d462

The container featured is 05B06 which is the first one of a batch of three 20' built at Derby in 1964 as lot 3520, diagram 3/031. Behind the lorry cab is 00A04 which is a 10' and was also built at Derby in 1964 lot 3521, diagram 3/008, this is in Speedfreight livery. It is my guess that, having read my books and had a think, it seems reasonable that along with the lot 3521 there is box 05B05 which was just one from lot 3509 to the preceding diagram of 3/030 and may have been finished in speed freight as lot 3521.

The other number that can be seen seems to be 05B10 which was in a following batch of six 20' also built at Derby lot 3520, diagram 3/031 and is the same livery as 05B06 which makes sense as it is from a following lot.

By the look of how clean and new everything looks on the photograph, it is possible that at the time most of BR's new type containers would all fit on one train at once, the photograph does have a look of publicity shot about it.

So far I have discovered that Freightliner operated twenty nine different classifications of container including three demonstrator tank wagons and the seven cabooses of which there were two different types.

Gibbo.

Hi Folks,

While reviewing previous posts and looking at container boxes I noticed that the photographic link in the above thread shews the Speedfrieght liveried boxes are actually mounted upon the prototype spine framed Freightliner set that was built at Shildon. I noticed that the bogies were different in form from the later Davis and Lloyd Ridemaster bogies as fitted to the FFA /FGA wagons and also the white vertical stripe rather than the red triangles for load positioning indicators.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brfreightlinercontainer/hAD0D462#had0d462

This does suggest a very early publicity shot as I don't know how long the prototype wagons were in service for.

Gibbo.

Hi Folks,

With all this work involving container boxes I have had another look at the Hornby 30' boxes that I converted into ribbed sided Ford boxes. When applying the Ford signs I mounted them in the wrong spot by placing them one rib to far to the left and it has niggled at me ever since so I have bitten the bullet and stripped them back to improve upon my initial effort. While I am at it as I had earmarked two more boxes for conversion and also that the decal sheets are enough for four boxes I have ordered two more boxes from Peter's Spares, at £3.98 plus postage it's not a great expense.

The Ford signs are Retro Decal ones from eBay that i stuck onto .010" plasticard before cutting around them carefully and then gluing them into place on the box sides. So far I have have pealed them off and cut back and smoothed over the edges of the ribs ready for repainting. I shall in time fit a framing into the rebate at the bottom of the box and make and fit the ribs.

Three things that I didn't do last time is to fit ribs to the ends of the boxes, some fine ribs to the roofs and some data panels on the sides and the ends of the boxes. As the ribs are made from .020" plasticard the box will be a slight long but it shouldn't be noticeable.

2040222851_DSCF09651.JPG.a168a298c5b1a082216749bf3f6c7c8c.JPG

Three boxes with signs removed and one to go, in the background the class 82 has had its yellow ends the BG's are moving u the queue and the last two Pullmans were masked off for the cream panels to be painted.

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Folks,

I've been busy with the Ford container boxes, they have turned out to be quite a bit more of rebuild than at first envisaged too.

I decided that rather than chop all my ford boxes up in one go I would have a go at converting one of the new ones so that if it didn't work out as planned then I only loose one box. The first job was to remove the roof which came off quite easily once given a quick scribe around the joint with knife. the next job was to make a new roof. This was done by laminating two bits of .020" plasticard one was cut 29mm X 114mm and the other 33mm X 125mm, the smaller piece locates withing the side of the box and the top piece is then a slight oversize when fitted to the box.

Withe the new roof glued on I then filed off the webbing between the locating liugs on the undersides to allow a piece of .030" plasticard strip to be fitted on the underside with a 1mm edge standing proud of the box side. The strip is notched out to avoid the locating lugs Between this strip and the new roof I marked out a line starting 3mm from the door end every 5mm to which was glued a strip 2mm wide, this made up the vertical ribs. At the blank end of the box I fitted 1.5mm strips flush with the ends so that when the strips on the ends of the box were fitted the ones in the corner gave the effect of 2mm X 2mm corner posts. At the door end I cut pieces 1mm wide to finish off the framing of the doors. Once all the ribs were cured I cut back the base plate and roof filing to finish so that it is flush to the ribs.

The base of the box was altered by way of strips of .060" plasticard runnng around the underside of the box set back by 1.5mm this was sandwiched by a piece of .020" forming a base plate cut to 32 mm X 120mm suitably centred.

The last job was to fix data panel boards, the ones on the side are 12mm X 12mm and the on on the blank end is 12mm X 6mm, these boards fit neatly over three ribs.

DSCF0966.JPG.d72518c6a2dcecc4c66388b5118ca34a.JPG

Shewing the new box rear left along with the four originals and the second of the new boxes front right along side two new roofs for the two boxes on order.

DSCF0967.JPG.c7292e828189c47108a0029354e370f2.JPG

Shewing the .030" baseplate.

DSCF0968.JPG.015ae8347ac9e83337eda1a5b7aa90c5.JPG

shewing the side profile of the new box.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

16 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Hi Gibbo,

Where did you get the Freightliner transfers from? I have some of those Knightwing container kits that need transfers.

Hi Dave,

The transfer sheet I used for the red strip Freightliners is Railtec sheet 6503, make sure you get the 4mm one.

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1193

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

I've been busy with the Ford container boxes, they have turned out to be quite a bit more of rebuild than at first envisaged too.

I decided that rather than chop all my ford boxes up in one go I would have a go at converting one of the new ones so that if it didn't work out as planned then I only loose one box. The first job was to remove the roof which came off quite easily once given a quick scribe around the joint with knife. the next job was to make a new roof. This was done by laminating two bits of .020" plasticard one was cut 29mm X 114mm and the other 33mm X 125mm, the smaller piece locates withing the side of the box and the top piece is then a slight oversize when fitted to the box.

Withe the new roof glued on I then filed off the webbing between the locating liugs on the undersides to allow a piece of .030" plasticard strip to be fitted on the underside with a 1mm edge standing proud of the box side. The strip is notched out to avoid the locating lugs Between this strip and the new roof I marked out a line starting 3mm from the door end every 5mm to which was glued a strip 2mm wide, this made up the vertical ribs. At the blank end of the box I fitted 1.5mm strips flush with the ends so that when the strips on the ends of the box were fitted the ones in the corner gave the effect of 2mm X 2mm corner posts. At the door end I cut pieces 1mm wide to finish off the framing of the doors. Once all the ribs were cured I cut back the base plate and roof filing to finish so that it is flush to the ribs.

The base of the box was altered by way of strips of .060" plasticard runnng around the underside of the box set back by 1.5mm this was sandwiched by a piece of .020" forming a base plate cut to 32 mm X 120mm suitably centred.

The last job was to fix data panel boards, the ones on the side are 12mm X 12mm and the on on the blank end is 12mm X 6mm, these boards fit neatly over three ribs.

DSCF0966.JPG.d72518c6a2dcecc4c66388b5118ca34a.JPG

Shewing the new box rear left along with the four originals and the second of the new boxes front right along side two new roofs for the two boxes on order.

DSCF0967.JPG.c7292e828189c47108a0029354e370f2.JPG

Shewing the .030" baseplate.

DSCF0968.JPG.015ae8347ac9e83337eda1a5b7aa90c5.JPG

shewing the side profile of the new box.

Gibbo.

Top work on them boxes Gibbo, im looking forward to getting my delivery from peters spares chopped up. No news on the ML/OCL transfers yet as the white im brushing for a test is taking more coats then id expect annoyingly. Im off to buy some spray paint tomorrow lunch time.

Transfers in the post though for you though.

All the best

James

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Top work on them boxes Gibbo, im looking forward to getting my delivery from peters spares chopped up. No news on the ML/OCL transfers yet as the white im brushing for a test is taking more coats then id expect annoyingly. Im off to buy some spray paint tomorrow lunch time.

Transfers in the post though for you though.

All the best

James

Hi James,

I Haven't started the white panels on mine yet, I am though waiting for grey paint to dry on eleven boxes all of which are currently decorating a radiator to help harden the paint off.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

I Haven't started the white panels on mine yet, I am though waiting for grey paint to dry on eleven boxes all of which are currently decorating a radiator to help harden the paint off.

Gibbo.

Never like painting with gloss, always takes an age to go off properly..

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

I don't know if you have already seen it, but I found this while trolling through a flickr gallery.

Loco 1771 passing Stratford with a down Freightliner train in 1970

Thanks Alfa,

I hadn't seen this photograph before, precisely what I am building, most useful !

Gibbo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

I don't know if you have already seen it, but I found this while trolling through a flickr gallery.

That creates a scene in my mind where you were posting intentional wind-up comments on every photo in the gallery, unless you meant 'trawling'....... hehehehehehehehe  :jester:

• Funny 6

Hi Folks,

It has been Ford 30' boxes again. Today I've fitted ribs to two boxes and made up the bases for five of the remaining boxes. The two newly delivered boxes have not yet had their ribs fitted and are yet to be dealt with.

Six of the boxes have had the data panels fitted, the framing around the roofs and one has had only nine of the cross braces fitted for I ran out of micro strip.

DSCF0969.JPG.15aefe68da6766d66a9e6754ca5783ea.JPG

Shewing the door and blank ends of the boxes.

I have not yet found details of the the doors as from what I can work out the boxes were placed on the wagons door to door for security reasons.

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

20 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

It has been Ford 30' boxes again. Today I've fitted ribs to two boxes and made up the bases for five of the remaining boxes. The two newly delivered boxes have not yet had their ribs fitted and are yet to be dealt with.

Six of the boxes have had the data panels fitted, the framing around the roofs and one has had only nine of the cross braces fitted for I ran out of micro strip.

DSCF0969.JPG.15aefe68da6766d66a9e6754ca5783ea.JPG

Shewing the door and blank ends of the boxes.

I have not yet found details of the the doors as from what I can work out the boxes were placed on the wagons door to door for security reasons.

Top job!

On 28/02/2020 at 11:05, muddy water said:

Nice Ford containers.

When were they used?

I have seen photos that suggest 1960-1975.

Does anyone know when they were phased out for newer versions?

Hi Muddy,

The Ford containers were first put into service on the 20th August 1968, I would guess that the containers lasted between fifteen and twenty year in traffic, I have seen such boxes in the early to mid 1980's mixed in with later types some of which were curtain sided.

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

Hi Folks,

Here is an update featuring E3173 in its finished condition on Burshaw at Preston Model show this weekend.

DSCF0971.JPG.fe6b2dcf3ac22fb93bfd6f381401cb1e.JPG

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Wrong number for locomotive !!!
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Folks,

This is turning into a serialised boxed set that is being binge watched !

Here is the latest installment of all things cubic, I have applied transfers to all six of my 20' Manchester Liners and the two 20' and the 40' OCL boxes. The transfers sent by James of @jessy1692 went on very easily after I had took the time to carefully cut them out from the main sheet. The transfer for the 40' OCL is the only time I have floated a transfer in a large dinner plate, I find saucers usually more than adequate for such action.

With all the boxes shewn the grey paint is Humbrol 166 chosen as it is slightly lighter with a blue tint than the Rail Grey of the Freightliner boxes. The Humbrol 60 and the red of the Manchester Liners transfers are a good colour match although I did cut around the door transfers closely so as to hide the edge rather than have a square patch. I have yet to varnish them but that ought not change the look of them so here they are.

DSCF0972.JPG.1ffa9313982e0979420516b3ec1a615d.JPG

Two of six Manchester Liners 20' boxes and one of a 20' and the 40' OCL boxes.

The tenth container was originally thought to be a spurious Triang livery but it turned out that the said Triang 30' box was in fact an actuality along with some 20' versions that I have modelled again with James assistance and printing skills.

DSCF0973.JPG.f5d9ab66aa22c68a52d615bdcc1abd41.JPG

The Scotch beef for Sainsbury's 20' insulated container.

I think the Ford project is on hold for a while as will be the following container project which is to refresh some of the BP chemical tanks courtesy of Darius from @Darius43. I might wait a while as may have overdone the serialisation of the boxed set !

Thanks to both James and Darius.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Improper grammar.
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

This is turning into a serialised boxed set that is being binge watched !

Here is the latest installment of all things cubic, I have applied transfers to all six of my 20' Manchester Liners and the two 20' and the 40' OCL boxes. The transfers sent by James of @jessy1692 went on very easily after I had took the time to carefully cut them out from the main sheet. The transfer for the 40' OCL is the only time I have floated a transfer in a large dinner plate, I find saucers usually more than adequate for such action.

With all the boxes shewn the grey paint is Humbrol 166 chosen as it is slightly lighter with a blue tint than the Rail Grey of the Freightliner boxes. The Humbrol 60 and the red of the Manchester Liners transfers are a good colour match although I did cut around the door transfers closely so as to hide the edge rather than have a square patch. I have yet to varnish them but that ought not change the look of them so here they are.

DSCF0972.JPG.1ffa9313982e0979420516b3ec1a615d.JPG

Two of six Manchester Liners 20' boxes and one of a 20' and the 40' OCL boxes.

The tenth container was originally thought to be a spurious Triang livery but it turned out that the said Triang 30' box was in fact an actuality along with some 20' versions that I have modelled again with James assistance and printing skills.

DSCF0973.JPG.f5d9ab66aa22c68a52d615bdcc1abd41.JPG

The Scotch beef for Sainsbury's 20' insulated container.

I think the Ford project is on hold for a while as will be the following container project which is to refresh some of the BP chemical tanks courtesy of Darius from @Darius43. I might wait a while as may have overdone the serialisation of the boxed set !

Thanks to both James and Darius.

Gibbo.

They look smashing Gibbo, glad they are ok, iv got a 40ft ocl as well so looking forward to the novelty of floating on a dinner plate!

Im lagging well behind you now, having done no modelling for a week, life getting in the way again.

What i did find was that the humbrol 60 gets nearer the transfer shade with satin varnish but worth chopping down as close to the writing as possible. I was amazed at the red shade change after the transfer float. Just shows the effort/technology Fox and Railtec etc go to to produce 'proper' transfers.

Top job, looking forward to cracking on with mine.

All the best

James

1 minute ago, jessy1692 said:

I was amazed at the red shade change after the transfer float. Just shows the effort/technology Fox and Railtec etc go to to produce 'proper' transfers.

James

Hi James,

You didn't do so bad yourself, I'm impressed at what I received and how they turned out !

Gibbo.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

You didn't do so bad yourself, I'm impressed at what I received and how they turned out !

Gibbo.

Cheers Gibbo, its been a fun project and between us and Darius i think we have pushed whats possible with the old Hornby stuff. Once again it shows what RMweb is about, like minded folk helping each other out.

Need to crack on with mine now! If anyone is interested in any of the files/transfers ill be happy to pass on.

James

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Just found this, and decided to put it here.

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u09118&pos=143&action=zoom&id=110742

Nice close up view of a early freightliner wagon and containers. 

PS-did you include the small step at the outer wagon bufferbeam?

Hi There,

Thanks for that, the boxes are the early 27' ones designated Type C.

As for the steps I didn't fit them because I'm quite good at breaking such details off sometimes within minutes of fitting them !

Gibbo.