4 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

TOPS code SFW?

Mike.

Hi Mike,

More of an FAO, F for flat, A as first in series and, O for no brakes and no through pipe. The horseboxes would be NAO the N is for non passenger.

There doesn't seem to be a classification for no buffers !

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Ruston said:

If they didn't have buffers, were they coupled with a rigid bar or something of the sort?

Hi Dave,

From all of the reading I have done all I can find is that they were coupled with three chains, whether there was a main chain and two safety chains or three of the same size I don't know.

I shall only be using one central chain as that will be tricky enough to couple up.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

I have been building coal container wagons from a drawing that also had some dimensions referenced in a book I'm reading. The frames are a slight smaller than the short flat wagons I have built and the sole bars are of a different pattern. I have also built four long flat wagons to a similar pattern to the short ones.

The coal container wagons require some springs to be made and fitted and the flat wagons require some inverted T brackets over the axle boxes before they are to be painted.

DSCF1391.JPG.c266e3cfc0701f2cb38bb1895b148513.JPG

Flat wagons 12'6" and 9'6" with two coal container wagons, one loaded one light.

The coal containers had small wheels on the bottoms of them and ran onto transverse angles. It would seem reasonable that there may have been a specific loading and unloading bay and also that there must have been some sort of locking bars= to secure the containers to the flats.

Gibbo.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

36 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

I have been building coal container wagons from a drawing that also had some dimensions referenced in a book I'm reading. The frames are a slight smaller than the short flat wagons I have built and the sole bars are of a different pattern. I have also built four long flat wagons to a similar pattern to the short ones.

The coal container wagons require some springs to be made and fitted and the flat wagons require some inverted T brackets over the axle boxes before they are to be painted.

DSCF1391.JPG.c266e3cfc0701f2cb38bb1895b148513.JPG

Flat wagons 12'6" and 9'6" with two coal container wagons, one loaded one light.

The coal containers had small wheels on the bottoms of them and ran onto transverse angles. It would seem reasonable that there may have been a specific loading and unloading bay and also that there must have been some sort of locking bars= to secure the containers to the flats.

Gibbo.

Fantastic, I don't think iv ever seen a more comprehensive selection of early traction and rolling stock before (prepares to stand corrected) Its quite amazing to see something modelled that is nearly 200 years old, infact it quite boggles my head that the concepts developed at the dawn of railways are still very much with us now. Amazing!

Keep up the top work Gibbo

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Fantastic, I don't think iv ever seen a more comprehensive selection of early traction and rolling stock before (prepares to stand corrected) Its quite amazing to see something modelled that is nearly 200 years old, infact it quite boggles my head that the concepts developed at the dawn of railways are still very much with us now. Amazing!

Keep up the top work Gibbo

Hi James,

When I pull my finger out I shall produce a set of drawings for all of the vehicles I build with explanations of how it all goes together for anyone that is interested.

Gibbo.

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi James,

When I pull my finger out I shall produce a set of drawings for all of the vehicles I build with explanations of how it all goes together for anyone that is interested.

Gibbo.

You may start off a new trend, with the introduction of the 4 and 6 wheel coaches from Hattons & Hornby (let's not get involved in that duscussion...) it does seem like the RTR world is pushing backwards in time so you could be well ahead of the curve. Maybe stamp your intellectual rights on any drawings just incase Hornby announce something so you can get some royalties haha!

Thinking back I do recall an exhibition layout I saw that had some early stock, perhaps not as early as Rocket et al but certainly pre 1880, I think it had a viaduct and perhaps called 'Genesis' or something. I only saw it once so no idea of the club but it will have been up north within the last 20 years-i realise 20 years is a long time God I feel old

Edited by jessy1692

7 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Thinking back I do recall an exhibition layout I saw that had some early stock, perhaps not as early as Rocket et al but certainly pre 1880, I think it had a viaduct and perhaps called 'Genesis' or something. I only saw it once so no idea of the club but it will have been up north within the last 20 years-i realise 20 years is a long time God I feel old

I don't know if it ever was exhibited, but I remember an 1830 based layout built by the Michells, father and son (the son was at school with me), which appeared in a sixties Christmas Railway Modeller, shortly after the Tri-Ang Rocket came out. Some of the locos had been altered to look like other designs, and I think the track was hand-built, sans sleepers, mainly based on the Ackerman prints.  Now that is nearly sixty years ago, and who's feeling old now?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

I don't know if this is what you remember, but Bolton Model Railway Club built a Liverpool & Manchester themed layout, but it's more like 40 years ago than 20 years.

I think it was around about the time of the 150th anniversary of the Rainhill trials in 1980.  I joined the club around 1988 & and the layout had been dismantled by then.

21 minutes ago, Moxy said:

I don't know if this is what you remember, but Bolton Model Railway Club built a Liverpool & Manchester themed layout, but it's more like 40 years ago than 20 years.

I think it was around about the time of the 150th anniversary of the Rainhill trials in 1980.  I joined the club around 1988 & and the layout had been dismantled by then.

Morning Moxey, it can't have been that then as I was only born I'm 87 so it's certainly in the last 20 years maybe even in the last 10. I can picture it in my head but I can't recall exactly any locos or where I was, it may have even still been under construction when exhibited so it might not have been completed and just had one outing. Of course I could be misremembering things now, it was some time ago.

Cheers

James

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Morning Moxey, it can't have been that then as I was only born I'm 87 so it's certainly in the last 20 years maybe even in the last 10. I can picture it in my head but I can't recall exactly any locos or where I was, it may have even still been under construction when exhibited so it might not have been completed and just had one outing. Of course I could be misremembering things now, it was some time ago.

Cheers

James

Morning James.  That's fair enough, I know what you mean about misremembering things, I clearly remember things that I think as happening about 5 years ago, when I actually find the article or book on the subject, turns out to be about 15 years!

Edited by Moxy
Spelling
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, nigb55009 said:

Wasn`t there a layout, many years ago, based on Kenyon Junction. I seem to remember it appearing in Railway Modeller, probably during the 70s.

I think that might be the Bolton Model Railway Club layout that I was thinking of.

15 minutes ago, Moxy said:

Morning James.  That's fair enough, I know what you mean about misremembering things, I clearly remember things that I think as happening about 5 years ago, when I actually find the article or book on the subject, turns out to be about 15 years!

Oh I know, time doesn't half fly by when your not looking. As I'm getting older I get what my Grandad meant when he said time gets faster as you get older. The last 5 years or so are just a blur. Scary!

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Moxy said:

I think that might be the Bolton Model Railway Club layout that I was thinking of.

Hi Moxy,

It may well be that the Bolton club built a model of Kenyon Junction as it was the Bolton and Leigh Railway's connection with the Liverpool and Manchester Railway.

Interestingly I have based the track plane for the layout I am currently building upon Kenyon Junction, there are tweaks for space consideration and I have added a refuge siding on the opposite side similar to that of Parkside. I did consider Parkside until I worked out how enormous it would have to be to make it look anything like correct.

The L&MR trains will run on the double track circuit and the B&LR coal trains can run on and off the branch into the loops, the coal trains will be switched through the loops so that the full and empty trains run on the appropriate up and down roads when on the L&MR.

DSCF1333.JPG.617f061b403396dc40feaf3077f055db.JPG

Each square is 12".

Gibbo.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

Oh I know, time doesn't half fly by when your not looking. As I'm getting older I get what my Grandad meant when he said time gets faster as you get older. The last 5 years or so are just a blur. Scary!

HA !

Turning 50 was not a problem for me, didn't notice, couldn't care less, however my daughter's 30th was quite some realisation !!!

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

HA !

Turning 50 was not a problem for me, didn't notice, couldn't care less, however my daughter's 30th was quite some realisation !!!

Gibbo.

I get that, my lad turned 13 just before Christmas and I suddenly thought sh*t I don't have a little boy anymore..

• Agree 1

my little girl turns 16 this year, and i still remember her as a little girl at the warley exhibition building models at the squires stand. She visited that stand every year, and at york. They knew her very well.

And I also remember her at warley showing how to shunt a 0 gauge american switcher layout. She was 7 at the time, and shunted the loco onto a wagon, and the wagon didn`t even move. The layout owner had to check they were even coupled, but they were.

God, I am a old fart now (49 end of this year).

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

I've been painting trucks, not quite finished but here they are:

DSCF1394.JPG.7528b9dc2d4b10e7a8d04cfaf4b68c16.JPG

Rear left are the coal container wagons, rear right the 12'6" flats, front left are the flat and swing bolsters made from Dapol Rocket tender underframes and front right are the 9'6" flats. I shall post close up photographs when the second coat of brown is applied to the decks of the flats as they need a bit of a touch up.

Gibbo.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

4 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Have you tried them in-train yet?   I'd imagine longer rakes might be fussy.

Hi Alfa

Not yet as the the track is down on the layout but isn't wired up yet so I can only move a locomotive between isolated sections and it all comes to a stop. I would think that fifteen wagons will be about the limit any way as it was back in the day.

Gibbo.

Hi Folks,

Here are the flat wagons and coal containers finish painted. The green wagons are Humbrol 78 Cockpit Green, and the blue grey wagons are Humbrol 87 Steel Grey. I have yet to fit coupling hooks as I have run out of suitable wire.

DSCF1399.JPG.817fb9710ccb7afd79ac12cc25694483.JPG

Long flat wagons.

DSCF1400.JPG.bae85be2fcfc6a19fcccbe1cde833a13.JPG

Short flat wagons.

DSCF1401.JPG.586dcbbfff87c30d6c07b2f794578214.JPG

Coal container wagons.

Gibbo.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Folks,

I've been on a mega build yesterday and today, twenty four chaldron wagons.

The bodies are made form .030" which were scribed from templates made of the sides and ends so that I would get accurate fit. The sides and ends of all except the prototype were scribed in a jig that allows the planking to be represented in parallel lines with while at the same time making the job easy and even using a razor saw.

DSCF1404.JPG.5cce3d1d4f83368247fba35bae769348.JPG

The sides and ends shewing the scribing jig, there are more notches than required for the chaldron wagons so that I can use the jig to scribe the planking of the decks of wagons in the same way.

DSCF1407.JPG.c97a9bf4a16165bca1d5880ccf742b87.JPG

Twenty three bodies awaiting ribs and strappings.

DSCF1408.JPG.13ff128836d04c3ebf100acdedf6416d.JPG

The prototype wagon.

This wagon will eventually be fitted with split spoke wheels with the axle ends filed off flush to the face of the wheels. This will be the only one of all of them not to have the insides of the body scribed as the scribing was done free hand before I made the jig. I intend to have twelve loaded and twelve empty so it will likely run as a loaded wagon.

In other news I have received another Newman Miniatures 3d print, that of Northumbrian. After being quite pleased that I managed to motorise the rebuilt Rocket print I thought that all of the other locomotives might be a slight easier as they would be larger, unfortunately this is not the case. It seems that the boiler diameter is a slight smaller. It turns out that this was as a combination of upscaling a 2mm scale model into a 4mm scale model along with consideration to the framing details and overall width between back to back measurements of OO gauge wheel sets. I was amused and disappointed in equal measure, however after a most helpful exchange with Rudi of Newman Miniatures I think I have a plan so all may well work out for the best. Northumbrian's tender is already on its wheels and the locomotive print is part way through its modifications.

Gibbo.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2