2 hours ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Magnificent!

Presumably the white base of the jig is plasticard. Are the black parts also plasticard, or did you use something less susceptible to the saw cuts?

Hi Tom

The jig is made from .040" and .080" plasticard, it just so happens that it was made form scraps and that is what colour they were. The slots for the saw blade are not a tight as they were but with 23 bodies to scribe made from 4 pieces each with 10 scribed lines on them that worked out at 92 operations per slot, 920 scribed lines total.

If the jig wears out it is easy enough to make another.

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Folks,

I've been busy with chaldron wagons again, I have  dressed all of the frames, fitted the hoppers, made and attached the axle guides and brake levers to seven of them.

The frames had a square cut out of the end which required filing to size along with the thickening strips finishing flush to the sides. The thickening strips are to make the frames 3mm deep which is a scale 9", after the square cut out was filed the dumb buffers were finished at scale 9" square. Once this was done the hoppers were fitted simply by centralising them on the frames.

To fit the axle guides I made two locating jigs one 9mm long and the other just a little over 11mm. The jigs are simple rectangles of plasticard with a return glued onto the surface, I filed a relief into the registration end so that the axle guides wouldn't become glued to the jig. I used the 11mm jig first and one the inner sets of guides were fixed I used the 9mm to fit the outer sets. By the time I had finished the first ones to be done were well cured. The wheel sets were trial fitted and where required a slight more clearance was filled into the guides.

DSCF1409.JPG.e8e32f353af9169f00882e24946f10e3.JPG

Axle guide placement jig.

Chaldron wagons were usually fitted with brake levers on one side only so my next job was to fit these levers. A 6mm long piece of square Plastruct was glued to the underside of the frames between the wheels and another to the top right corner of one side of the hopper. The levers are made form .030" square rod suitably bent to clear the wheels before being glued into place. I like the ide of brake blocks but they may foul the wheels to the point of causing trouble so they may not be fitted.

DSCF1411.JPG.49bf16d35c9c4b7cf1efe99d57e2fccd.JPG

Sans Pereil on a rake of empties shewing the brake levers.

Gibbo.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hi Folks,

Here are the finished chaldron wagons. The split spoke wheels arrived today and I set to filing the pin point ends off them this afternoon followed by painting them black. Once the paint had dried suitably I fitted the wheels securing them with a 2mm X 6mm strip attached to the wheel guides as a keep plate. Coupling hooks will be fitted once I get some suitable wire with which to make them.

Yesterday I painted one of them black and another dark brown as a comparison, I decided that I liked dark brown best so that is what I've got. A piece of .040" square rod was added to the brake gear to represent a brake block, it is clear of the flanges so the wagons still run freely.

DSCF1413.JPG.c414fd997ba189eb5d7dc18ca9c9fd86.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

Interesting though your period 1 builds are, I just wanted to post up a quick "thank you" for your Y6 tram engine build much earlier in the thread! Having acquired a "not Thomas" Bachmann Junior loco off eBay, I've removed the body and examining the chassis was pondering upon whether it might provide the motive power for a skirted 04 like the W&U loco (the chassis is exactly the right length/width of an 04!). Then I thought of the tram loco, and remembered I had seen someone build one - having trawled through six pages of search results with no joy, I visited your thread and voila! Second Fourth topic after the Pullman coaches!

So now thinking about copying your efforts (but on the 0-6-0 chassis) to create myself a tram engine for Blackford Wharf - should be a lot cheaper than the Model Rail version!

Cheers for the inspiration!

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Unable to count!
  • Like 2

Hi Folks,

Here are six part built ballast wagons, they are on a similar frameset to those under the chaldron wagons except that there is two longitudinal strips of 1.5mm square Plastruct attached to the top edge as part of the suspension of the body and that the wheel base has been increased to 18mm. The body is made from .030" plasticard which was scribed in my jig before assembly to represent planks. On one side there is an door that will be made to look as though it is hinged to allow discharge of ballast onto the track and I shall also add some strapping to the body as it is a little plain looking at the moment.

DSCF1414.JPG.36c8ceca70731e2c154967b8ea80b754.JPG

Three wagons in the back ground with three bodies and frame sets in the foreground. 

Gibbo.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Folks,

The ballast wagons are now finished except for coupling hooks, I must buy some paperclips for that very purpose.

DSCF1417.JPG.c39ac0bb4766971fb8e13ec1d825cbd8.JPG

While I was at it I decided that the last pair of split spoke wheels were looking lonely after building 24 chaldron wagons so I built a rectangular chaldron wagon after seeing a photograph of one that is at Beamish. I calculated the volume of the slope sided chaldrons as a chaldron is a volume measure of coal, not surprisingly once I had made the wagon body and placed it onto the frames it looked just like the one in the Beamish photograph which was quite satisfying. After buying 5 packs of ten wheelsets I might have built 25 chaldrons but why do things the easy way ? That said, I haven't fitted a brake lever as I haven't decided how it should look but it should be easy enough to sort out once I've decided.

DSCF1416.JPG.64f9094e276515d127acb02358965acf.JPG

Knowing that the track of the L&MR was mounted on stone blocks which was ballasted up to the heads of the rails with sand and gravel I decided to have an experiment to see if I could replicate the look. Using some ready mixed filler I filled up to the underside of the heads of the rails and then using a steel rule I made a flange way by pressing it down to the chairs and then tilting it toward the centre of the rails. I added a textured effect by stippling with an old toothbrush. I might try painting it to see how it looks and then perhaps I might drop my test piece onto the floor to see whether or not it will fall off should a shock be transmitted to the base board.

DSCF1415.JPG.9315b3744010ac8ddf78750a4edbcfae.JPG

I haven't forgotten the passenger carriages I have been waiting on transfers which arrived today, so I shall set to soon enough, thanks to James for those !

Gibbo.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

The ballast wagons are now finished except for coupling hooks, I must buy some paperclips for that very purpose.

DSCF1417.JPG.c39ac0bb4766971fb8e13ec1d825cbd8.JPG

While I was at it I decided that the last pair of split spoke wheels were looking lonely after building 24 chaldron wagons so I built a rectangular chaldron wagon after seeing a photograph of one that is at Beamish. I calculated the volume of the slope sided chaldrons as a chaldron is a volume measure of coal, not surprisingly once I had made the wagon body and placed it onto the frames it looked just like the one in the Beamish photograph which was quite satisfying. After buying 5 packs of ten wheelsets I might have built 25 chaldrons but why do things the easy way ? That said, I haven't fitted a brake lever as I haven't decided how it should look but it should be easy enough to sort out once I've decided.

DSCF1416.JPG.64f9094e276515d127acb02358965acf.JPG

Knowing that the track of the L&MR was mounted on stone blocks which was ballasted up to the heads of the rails with sand and gravel I decided to have an experiment to see if I could replicate the look. Using some ready mixed filler I filled up to the underside of the heads of the rails and then using a steel rule I made a flange way by pressing it down to the chairs and then tilting it toward the centre of the rails. I added a textured effect by stippling with an old toothbrush. I might try painting it to see how it looks and then perhaps I might drop my test piece onto the floor to see whether or not it will fall off should a shock be transmitted to the base board.

DSCF1415.JPG.9315b3744010ac8ddf78750a4edbcfae.JPG

I haven't forgotten the passenger carriages I have been waiting on transfers which arrived today, so I shall set to soon enough, thanks to James for those !

Gibbo.

No worries Gibbo, ill be very interested to see how the look when you get to putting them on.

Clever use of filler for the ballasting, if it stands the shock test that will be extremely sturdy track!

Cheers

James

• Thanks 1

Hi Folks,

After building all of that rolling stock, 46 wagons and 9 carriages, I decided to get on with the motive power. I did have two locomotives but my Hornby Rocket has conked out so I thought I had better get on with Northumbrian.

As the boiler was a slight smaller than I expected I decided to beef it up somewhat by adding a .010" shim wrap over the planked section to make it match the fire and smoke boxes. As luck would have it a section of .375" Plastruct tube with a slice taken out of it fitted very well over all of this making the boiler diameter 13.5mm which allows clearance for the wheels and a little room for framing detail that needs to be reapplied.

The main reason for beefing up the boiler is that once the inside of the print is hollowed out to accept the motor there needs to be some strength left in the print and the outer boiler wraps will supply rigidity that would have been lost otherwise.

DSCF1419.JPG.441c6d49d326edfaf10b5d0b9e98c512.JPG

A strip of .020" plasticard will make up the now obliterated printed frame bar. The steam dome and safety valve will be reattached once I have scribed the planking and attached boiler bands.

The wheels conveniently support the locomotive at approximately its running height for taking the photograph.

Gibbo.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

Are you going to build one of the locos that had vertical pistons in the boiler and the roding above? Puffing Billy would be  bit difficult with the rods, rocker arms, and these driving a year wheel between the wheels.

Hi Dave

My plan is to build another of the Rocket types similar to the one I have already built and the Northumbrian type. Other types that are available will appear in time, these are, Planet 2-2-0, Patentee 2-2-2, Samson 0-4-0, and Large Samson 0-4-2.

Once I have enough to actually run the railway I might look into building locomotives such as Lancashire Witch and Sans Pereil, there are all sorts of other oddities that would also require scratch building but some of them will depend upon whether I can get a motor in side them. There is always the option that I could motorise a truck and propel the locomotive but I'm a not keen on doing that.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

I've been experimenting with track again today and decided that I might give the stone block sleeper effect a try.

I cut out some .030" triangles with a base of 8mm and 5mm high filing a notch to fit around the rail chair in the base. I then removed every other rail chair and then glued the triangles to the sleeper and rail head with superglue. Once this was done I filled up the cribs with filler to the level of the triangles and then added texture with the tooth brush.

So far it seems that with the first attempt I have used to high a level of filler and that it should be lowered slightly as the flangeways are a little too defined and give clearance for track cleaning but otherwise it looks as I thought it might. I'm also rather pleased with the stone block effect although I doubt that the effect will be widely used, mainly around point blades and localised parts of the yard. A stone block every other sleeper gives a spacing of 2'6" on centres of the blocks which is a slight less than the 3' that Stephenson recommended for wrought iron rails.

The colours used to paint are not likely the colours I shall use but they are near enough to see how the effect works.

DSCF1420.JPG.cfc571c1953dbc4b2b1f8c5bb36b5402.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 months later...
On 22/02/2021 at 09:20, Clagmeister said:

The track I think, is going to be your most interesting conundrum.  Certainly looks good, it can't have been easy to work on, presumably why the style of burying it went away fairly rapidly.

Дорогoи Друзья,

С днем победы!

DSCF1448.JPG.a35a846a76b77deab79bd838cec360f9.JPG

Гиббою

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/05/2021 at 23:19, TangoOscarMike said:

Oh, absolutely. It's also Mother's Day in these parts, so happy that as well!

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately myself and Clagmeister don't have a running joke regarding Mother's day.

Now cyclical time line fluctuations and the repetition of DNA sequencing representing within the materium as quasi three dimensional "solid" illusion projected back into the subjective through conscious displacement is another matter.

Perhaps Clagmeiser might like to comment as to whether or not he feels that he is autonomous or just a shard of humanity.

Gibbo.