3 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

That Mk2 DVT just needs some trix windows putting in, and the cab windows extending round the corners, and it would look like a 123

Hi Dave,

That is the styling cue I was hoping for, however in the Nearly Started box:

DSCF0121.JPG.bf6b451ea07ffb1ac290021bad249378.JPG

DMBS, TCK.

DSCF0123.JPG.790d1bc6467dfb31ac13888282ec7f2e.JPG

TS, DMSK.

Gibbo.

• Like 7

Hi Folks,

After lots of filling and sanding I gave all my WCML Pullmans a coat of Halford's photographic grey which immediately shewed how much more filling and sanding I have yet to do. There are minor areas that need to be remedially filled and sanded back, there are some minor gaps around some of the filled in window apertures and also some filling about the edges of the blocked off doors.

DSCF1093.JPG.452778062b888865db9d4a8f7ef1b147.JPG

One each of the Brake and Kitchen Cars.

DSCF1094.JPG.8276826847f0b27d8415da343185eb27.JPG

One of the four Parlour Cars.

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Folks,

I have rearranged the underframe details of the Pullman Cars by razor sawing all of the various boxes off and then replacing them in the appropriate positions as ascertained from working from photographs. The brake and parlour cars are the same but the kitchen cars are slightly different in that there are propane boxes under the kitchen area and one of the battery boxes is in a slightly different place as a result. Most of the details are reused although there are some additions made from plasticard.

So far all eight of the underframes have been dealt with and the kitchen and brake cars had their underframes fitted. While fitting the underframes the remedial filling has been re-sanded and I have removed the guttering and one of the handrails from the ends of the cars and fitted the gangway connections. In retrospect I should have filled the gangways to size as the Airfix ones are too long.

DSCF1095.JPG.cf4123ea8cb98e762a478c1aa8a5862d.JPG

Pullman brake, saloon end.

DSCF1096.JPG.8fd85e222d9b99ae995c3de59e6fa000.JPG

Pullman brake, brake end.

DSCF1097.JPG.49812af832ab2fb302f7c9ea4b8d4678.JPG

Pullman kitchen, kitchen end.

DSCF1098.JPG.88a9ffb9ed496764ae4eec2cbcb30b9e.JPG

Pullman kitchen, saloon end.

Gibbo.

• Like 9

On 09/08/2020 at 22:48, Gibbo675 said:

With regard the Pullman's for the PDVT I have added handrail and door details and cut and shut another spare chassis from building a Gloucester class 100 also form a TSO. I decided that a class 123 DMU style route indicator boxes were the way to go with the driving end, I had thought about putting the indicator into the corridor end as with the 309 Clacton sets but decided against it.

DSCF1089.JPG.99e9ff4163cda2b3f7bed5eeb5dd3b9d.JPG

Oh, I like this very much! I'd always wanted to make something similar - maybe a Mk1 BSK or BFK with a 504 cab end, roof destination box, no jumper cables... What's the theory - Blue Star control with the other coaches through-wired?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BusDriverMan said:

Oh, I like this very much! I'd always wanted to make something similar - maybe a Mk1 BSK or BFK with a 504 cab end, roof destination box, no jumper cables... What's the theory - Blue Star control with the other coaches through-wired?

Hi Bus Driver,

I hadn't actually thought of control systems, I just decided that it would be fun to build one. I have also thought about building a Mk2 BG just for something different also.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

I have just finished removing extraneous detail on the ends of the first class parlour cars and also fitted them to their respective underframes. The one pictured is the one that has Hornby gangways as I only had enough for seven of the cars out of all of the bits from the grotty old coaches of the original eBay purchase.

The next step will be to re-undercoat before painting the Rail Grey.

DSCF1106.JPG.c67165169ca65a2ae4346a19540259e7.JPG

First Class Parlour Car.

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Folks,

I managed, despite the rain, to get a first coat of Rail Grey onto all of the Pullman Cars. Some of the door outline grooves look a little deep but that may be due to the spray paint not filling them up, I shall brush paint all the door outline grooves before giving then a second coat of Rail Grey,

DSCF1107.JPG.7c1a3ab45ba8e3f1f2c40a0dc0903b5b.JPG

Top to bottom, PC, PK and PB.

Gibbo.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

10 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Idea, change your Mk2 PMV into a power car (paxman 200hp v12 and 2x rep motor bogies/motors) then do a second, you would have a 2nd gen B*** p***** made from Mk2 coaches. Best bit would be you could still use the coaches separately. 

Hi Dave,

I did that years ago, either of these two would suffice !

DSCF0294.JPG.d3ff61a18558c1c23eeed5cd6316bb90.JPG

4000hp Tri-Bo contraption.

DSCF0297.JPG.caeb8f5fab281df586868ae18b6e3023.JPG

2000hp research contraption.

Gibbo

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

Hi Folks,

Today I'm doing a job that I really should have done before applying the paint and that is fitting window frames. The application of paint has however somewhat highlighted the need for the fitting of window frames, and so there it is. I didn't really want to have to do this job as it is rather tedious for I only have 100 windows to do. Why ever might that do my head in ?

The window frames are made from 3mm strips of .010" plasticard cut 57mm long, I preform them before applying glue to the insides of the aperture pressing the corners in tightly with the round file that formed the windows. I leave them about .5mm proud and cut the overlap so that it holds the bottom corners in compression.

DSCF1108.JPG.c9a81ea488548f94ee10e5e476f0697b.JPG

Only 92 more window frames to go !

This job may well keep me quiet for a day or seventeen or longer.

I might even get back to the class 82 as it may suddenly appear somewhat more interesting than it did.

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Must admit I understand the "fun" you are having. I went and restarted some replica suburban conversions to keep as much of the moulded details as I could, because I didn't want to be adding door hinges grab handrails and door handles to multi coach suburban stock.

Best way would be to break it up, like a hour a day, and keep doing little bits at a time.if you have extra time above a hour, use it on one of the other "nearly started" pile. Just make sure it is at the front of the workbench or it can disappear into the "little bits need doing but lost interest " pile.

8 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Must admit I understand the "fun" you are having. I went and restarted some replica suburban conversions to keep as much of the moulded details as I could, because I didn't want to be adding door hinges grab handrails and door handles to multi coach suburban stock.

Best way would be to break it up, like a hour a day, and keep doing little bits at a time.if you have extra time above a hour, use it on one of the other "nearly started" pile. Just make sure it is at the front of the workbench or it can disappear into the "little bits need doing but lost interest " pile.

Hi Dave,

Things are going well, I'm listening the below lecture and I've managed to get large windows of three Parlour First's done already.

It's all about Pi an Phi ratios within the basis of creation.

Gibbo.

• Informative/Useful 1

Looks an interesting lecture there Gibbo, certainly more high brow than my local radio station i tend to have on in the background! Top work on them windows, dont envy you with 100 to tackle but will be worth it.

All the best

James

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Folks,

All of the window frames are now done, in three sessions of listening to various hour and a half plus long pod casts. I'm pleased with the results and happy that I spent the time ad effort.

Unfortunately when I applied masking to paint the blue panel around the windows it peeled off some of the paint while I was positioning it. I tested a random selection of coaches with masking tape and the problem was universal, so now all the paint needs stripping back on all of the coaches so that it may be redone.

As a result I have decided to source some car spray paints that are of the RAL numbers for BR Rail Blue and Rail Grey, I have ordered RAL 5020 and RAL 9002 in gloss so that the transfers may be applied directly without need for varnish. I shall experiment in both making sure that the shade is correct or as near as make s no difference and also toning the gloss down with Johnson's Klear before making a total mess of the job !

DSCF1110.JPG.328111e02bf4b1220d1b9d2a1adb268d.JPG

Four of nine of my badly painted coaches !

Gibbo.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Folks,

Here is 82 006 with its newly manufactured underframe details along with some extensions to the top outer edges of the bogies to square off the shape of the frames.

The underframe details are made from .030" plasticard with a compressor unit cut from a collection of Hornby class 86 chassis that are to be used for some more class 81's.

The bogie extensions are made from .080" black plasticard and have been attached using cyanacrylate glue, I think a scrape of filler is in order to blend in the joint and there are some holes to be drilled also. For reference the bogie frames are from a Hornby Hymek with larger wheels fitted. My thinking is that as both types of bogie are Beyer-Peacock designed commonwealth type bogies minor modifications would suffice. The infilled area between the main frame and the equalising beams has since been opened out and the bogies look a lot better for that alone.

DSCF1114.JPG.6d4eb94b2a24f53162245130cb319e8b.JPG

DSCF1115.JPG.3ae0506a81f6b6ce10635411c9b3da99.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hi Folks,

I've been busy and while some paint was drying on the class 82 I've made a start on the class 83. The cabs have been cut back a little more than they were as they didn't line up with the rear of the doors as the should and the apertures for the vent grilles and windows have been cut out and filed to shape. The two apertures for the windows were a slight long and so I have stuck some infill edges which will be filed back in the morning.

Research into what the roof detail actually looks like is now ongoing.

DSCF1116.JPG.6fdabb07c72e6170f7994117ff2c036b.JPG

DSCF1117.JPG.cd64357c066b208cfbcd071afa46800a.JPG

83 010.

Gibbo.

• Like 9

20 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Research into what the roof detail actually looks like is now ongoing.

Gibbo,

Here's a nice photo, from an old David & Charles Locomotives Studies book, that'll get you started with the Class 83 roof details.

20200830_204755_resize.jpg.f0a40ba8c8cc16f9cea43a224e904641.jpg

Ian  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ISW said:

Gibbo,

Here's a nice photo, from an old David & Charles Locomotives Studies book, that'll get you started with the Class 83 roof details.

20200830_204755_resize.jpg.f0a40ba8c8cc16f9cea43a224e904641.jpg

Ian  

Cheers Ian,

That's the best photograph I have seen so far, many thanks for that.

Gibbo.

Hi Folks,

Here are the latest photographs of the class 83, roof detailing has been made much easier thanks to @ISW. I have added the pantograph to the class 82 also while I was at it. Body side grilles and window frames have been fitted to both side s of the body along with a new roof as the original would have been too high should I have made up the new section on top of it. The filler in body side will need a slight more attention before sanding and painting.

DSCF1118.JPG.60a4b7f36bfc0370609370dbadf5137b.JPG

Roof detail of 82 006 ans 83 010

DSCF1121.JPG.567d377353f46c748191d88817ea5757.JPG

DSCF1122.JPG.ec318b6b7aa8a191e88b386132fd73aa.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 29/08/2020 at 13:10, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

All of the window frames are now done, in three sessions of listening to various hour and a half plus long pod casts. I'm pleased with the results and happy that I spent the time ad effort.

Unfortunately when I applied masking to paint the blue panel around the windows it peeled off some of the paint while I was positioning it. I tested a random selection of coaches with masking tape and the problem was universal, so now all the paint needs stripping back on all of the coaches so that it may be redone.

As a result I have decided to source some car spray paints that are of the RAL numbers for BR Rail Blue and Rail Grey, I have ordered RAL 5020 and RAL 9002 in gloss so that the transfers may be applied directly without need for varnish. I shall experiment in both making sure that the shade is correct or as near as make s no difference and also toning the gloss down with Johnson's Klear before making a total mess of the job !

DSCF1110.JPG.328111e02bf4b1220d1b9d2a1adb268d.JPG

Four of nine of my badly painted coaches !

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo,

I feel your pain, it's irritating when things don't go to plan. Makes my lining issue look quite insignificant by comparison as it was only the one coach!

I have started using IPA in an atomiser to clean unpainted bodywork which thus far seems to have prevented the problem of masking tape pulling paint away with it.

Martyn.

• Thanks 1

Hi Folks,

Its time to build the bogies for the class 83, I cut the side frames out and filled them to shape and also cut the blanks for the axle boxes yesterday.

Today I have cut and filed to shape the axle boxes and then I notched the bogie frames to accept the axle boxes. Once all the parts were made up I finally fitted the axle boxes to the bogie frames making sure that they were all the same dimension from the lower side of the axle boxes to the underside of the bogie frames.

I also made up the air brake cylinders and the various pull rods for the brake gear along with the axle box end covers. These particular parts were made up from Plastruct tubes and micro-rod.

In other news the first pair of Pullman coaches have been dunked into the Dettol.

DSCF1123.JPG.edb0ab0a65e0f09fecf7c6b095522a51.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 5

Hi Folks,

The bogies are now complete except for cab steps which I shall fit tomorrow, they will then be painted black. The white edging is a .010" strip to give the effect of the flanged edges of the fabricated bogies. The springs are sections of Smith's three link coupling springs threaded over 3mm micro-rod which are glued into the fabrication.

DSCF1124.JPG.91565b60acfb2e0a19e2677192fe8704.JPG

DSCF1125.JPG.5f8e4ca78afc4bfb3eb284574e38bb94.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7