• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

All but one of the AC electrics are now best part finished with transfers and satin lacquer having been applied. The missing locomotive is the class 82 for the paint job went a bit wrong and it is now in the paint stripper. The locomotives have been fitted with glazing, cab interiors and head code numerals. I shall fit draw hooks, buffer beam details and etched arrows another day once I get around to acquiring some.

DSCF1195.JPG.90e6716a55831e32e7ef00cd251ba337.JPG

Not quite a line up missing an 82 !

Gibbo.

You will be needing some of this stuff soon.

883798042_25kvmk1portaloverrm.png.b83284a27d0352e29207c329933d7fe2.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

All but one of the AC electrics are now best part finished with transfers and satin lacquer having been applied. The missing locomotive is the class 82 for the paint job went a bit wrong and it is now in the paint stripper. The locomotives have been fitted with glazing, cab interiors and head code numerals. I shall fit draw hooks, buffer beam details and etched arrows another day once I get around to acquiring some.

DSCF1195.JPG.90e6716a55831e32e7ef00cd251ba337.JPG

Not quite a line up missing an 82 !

Gibbo.

Wonderful line up there Gibbo and it will be even better when your ‘82 joins the roster.

I have a resin Class 82 body about to hit the bench.  It will be paired with a modified Hornby Class 86 chassis.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Wonderful line up there Gibbo and it will be even better when your ‘82 joins the roster.

I have a resin Class 82 body about to hit the bench.  It will be paired with a modified Hornby Class 86 chassis.

Cheers

Darius

Hi Darius,

Get yourself some Hymek bogie frames and glue some bits on like I did:

1214001583_DSCF11971.JPG.a60b271144b653701bc8c6e0f7c6c4a8.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

Here are my latest projects, the first is a Tartan Arrow container, the second is a reworked Hornby PCV Cemflo.

The Tartan Arrow container is made from a Hornby box that I got from Peter's Spares and I have filled and sanded off all of the framing so that I can fix ribs made form .010" plasticard. The lift pockets have been filled and sanded flush also and a new framing has been fitted into the rebate on the underside of the container made from .060" plasticard. The lift pockets require a little more work to make them look more as they should. The top edge of the box will have to be cut down slightly so that the sides are correct so that the slope shouldered roof sits at the correct height.

DSCF1215.JPG.521fc7057aee4927b46e59fcfbfc0b62.JPG

This is the first box which I am using to work out how I am going to batch build the rest of the boxes. There will be some 30'and 20' versions.

The Cemflo wagon arrived in the post this afternoon and as containers became boring all of a sudden I had a cut and shut session.

The overly wide sides were first removed and the platforms under the ends opened out I then set about cutting off the sole bar detail of the frames. The frames had new end platforms made from .080" plasticard and reliefs cut out of the remaining sole bar into which lengths of Plastruct channel section were glued to bring the width of the sole bars in, the headstocks were also reduced in width also. Sole plate gussets were made from .010" plasticard were glued in place over the W irons to finish the frames off.

I made a hopper extension but it turned out not to be deep enough so I removed it and remounted it on a rectangle of .080" plasticard, the next ones will be made to the new dimensions.

Vacuum pans were made up from Plastruct tube suitable capped off, the large on fitted with a flange and the smaller having the top edge rounded off. These were then mounted on pivot brackets and then set in place under one end of the wagon.

DSCF1211.JPG.2fced24410234b84044454098931f5ed.JPG

One cut and shut PCV Cemflo.

DSCF1212.JPG.9dafbc4eddab6b3fbaa7239b17c08ab2.JPG

Upturned view shewing the sole bar gussets and the lower hopper discharge.

DSCF1213.JPG.d442cf6467a974db4c728e4bb97aa8ab.JPG

End view shewing Vacuum cylinders.

Gibbo.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Looking good Gibbo, weirdly i was looking a the Chemflos the other week, i recall a thread on here  many moons ago with an excellent cut and shut rake made up. Nearly took bought some but thought i best some stuff finished. At least there wont be many distractions now for a few weeks...

All the best

James

6 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

That was CCtrans who did it. Also corrected the too short by using a second body.

Hi Dave,

I found the thread and discovered that he of CCT fame quotes the tanks as being 5mm too sort. I have various other PCV tanks on order form eBay and so one of them may end up being a donor for the splice required to lengthen them. It shouldn't be too much trouble to rebuild the one that I have just done as it was a sort of test build in any case to see how it would work out.

Gibbo.

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Shame nobody makes a model of the Cemflo!

Mike.

In life's too short mode!

Hi Mike,

To be fair, and for many years, Triang sort of almost nearly did !

I like building stuff, even if it ends up not being 100% accurate, anyway, the trouble with box openers is that they very often seem to be almost as obsessively vacuous as Carrie Bradshaw and her hoard of Manolo Blahnik's that also likely came out of fancy boxes.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Spelling
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

I seem to have come out of hibernation, possibly temporally, possibly with renewed vigour !?!?

Anyway I have taken a different direction from my 1970's BR Blue era and purchased a Newman Miniatures version 2 Rocket along with the appropriate tender. The 3d print represents the locomotive in its 1830 condition which was similar to the new locomotives that were built to the modified design which were named, Arrow, Wildfire, Dart, Comet, and Phoenix. The only other 0-2-2 types were Northumbrian and North Star which were similar but with enlarged boilers.

Should I be able to motorise the 3d print then I shall have a think about an 1830 L&MR railway layout with some of the various types of locomotive from the era available as 3d prints. The Rocket print that I have is the smallest of the 3d prints that I would need for such a layout and therefore any other designs may be a slight easier as they are larger.

So far I have managed to carve away the underside of the locomotive body shell and remove some of the bulkheads so that the motor may be fitted inside. As the motor is a tight fit it stays the body where the bulkheads have been removed. I intend to use a set of Romford 18mm driving wheels but as yet I don't have any, my main problem so far will be worm drive gear sets that have a worm with a 1mm hole.

The body has been altered so that I may use an 18 tooth spur gear which is 9.6mm diameter however there would be space to fit a 28 tooth gear which would be 15mm diameter using 0.5 modulus gears. Does anyone know of perhaps a gear set with a worm that fits a 1mm shaft and a spur that fit a 3mm shaft that may be around 50:1 ratio ?

DSCF1281.JPG.c8197e7666176bfae51c8db3a2ca2ef3.JPG

L&MR motive power line up with the N20 motor.

DSCF1286.JPG.2dfbb390ac01653e0b238cdfed8b24a1.JPG

Side view of Rocket with the motor installed.

DSCF1287.JPG.2d629f291bfdabae7256edd5cf4b70f6.JPG

Underside view shewing the motor and the bulkhead that will need to be cut back for a 15mm diameter spur gear.

For those interested here is a link to the Newman Miniatures range:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/newman-miniatures?page[number]=1&page[limit]=48&page[order]=asc

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Adding Link
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

You showed me pictures of your Rocket -> Northumbrian in the summer of 2018 - how time flies.

That 3D print has an impressive level of detail, for something so small printed in grainy "white strong and flexible".

Did you consider propelling it from behind (as per the Newman Miniatures recommendation), or would that be the sort of thing that you avoid if at all possible?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TangoOscarMike said:

You showed me pictures of your Rocket -> Northumbrian in the summer of 2018 - how time flies.

That 3D print has an impressive level of detail, for something so small printed in grainy "white strong and flexible".

Did you consider propelling it from behind (as per the Newman Miniatures recommendation), or would that be the sort of thing that you avoid if at all possible?

Hi Tom,

Tender drive is an aberration !

Gibbo.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Tom,

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

It is great, watching a loco skid along with all its valve gear locked solid at an exhibition always causes a laugh. Some jokes will forever remain funny. Nearly as funny as watching a derailment on a layout that has had so much praise from the model railway press. :good:

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, TangoOscarMike said:

Hi Tom,

I feel I ought to give you a proper reply !

The prints are very good, even as you say from the white strong flexible plastic. The reason I chose that material was because should I have damaged the print in my attempt to motorise it then I wouldn't have wasted too much money. The locomotive comes out well and I think it should paint up well with out too much attention although the flat tender sides do shew the rows of printing. Being flat however those areas should sand relatively easily. High build primer will help with that problem also.

I am quite pleased to have started this particular project as it is something I had thought about for quite a while now. The Hornby Rocket and the Newman Miniatures have certainly got me going in the right direction. My thoughts were if Hornby can make a Rocket work well enough then at least I know it is possible. As far as haulage capacity goes the locomotives won't really be required to handle particularly long trains anyway.

One thing that I need to find out is what a typical track layout was like for an L&MR station to see if modelling one is feasible. Does anyone know if the point work of the L&MR used switch blades or stub points ? The details of buildings and railway architecture may be gleaned from various paintings.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Well, they say that everyone has their price. And in the same way, I reckon everyone has a threshold of model-locomotive size, below which they put the motor in something behind the train-puller.

Perhaps for some people it's a little vertical-boilered cabless thing.

And I reckon that people modelling the palatial Eton picnic outing train, pulled by a team of starving ponys orphans, in Z-gauge, will probably put the electric motor in a coach. It's hard to make robotic children's legs in such a small scale when they're so malnourished.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that the rebuilt Rocket is above your threshold!

Merry Yuletide everyone.

Tom

• Like 2

Hi Folks,

I've been busy again, despite the fact that it is Sunday three Dapol Rocket kits arrived in the post today.

The plan is to build a model of Sans Pereil out of a bashed version  the kit, so far things have gone quite well. I started by cutting off the fire box from the boiler barrel and then plated up the former firebox end with a .020" disc. The other end had the kit supplied disc fitted and then over the top two discs of 15mm and 13mm were stuck to it, later on a radius was filed to represent the domed end of the boiler.

The wheels were assembled over cut down axle boxes laced in a reversed fashion to the way they are mounted on the kit. One of the sets were glued to the boiler mounting block on the underside of the boiler, the other set was attached to a piece of .080" plasticard 7mm X 5mm with a radius filled intot he top of it so that when positioned the boiler sat level.

The backing plates for the cylinders were cut down in length along with the removal of the valve chests, gusset plates were also attached to the sides of the backing plates. The assemblies were them mounted upon .020" spacers and fixed to the boiler sides in line with the axles. Once cured I made up some valve chests from. .060" plasticard squares which were glued to the lower inside faces of the backing plates.

The chimney was cut down and altered with layers of plasticard which were carved and filed to shape and a firing flue was made from Plastruct tube. The firing flue had the fire hole door from the Rocket kit modified and attached to the end of it. At the other end I have made up a driving platform from .040" plasticard scribed to represent planking.

DSCF1291.JPG.2412aa190beacba3c0c0de26d1dafa37.JPG

Rocket and Sans Pereil from the front.

DSCF1292.JPG.a726dff40a31b53f66ad4a0f05863fa6.JPG

Rocket and Sans Pereil from the rear.

Gibbo.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

I've been busy again, despite the fact that it is Sunday three Dapol Rocket kits arrived in the post today.

The plan is to build a model of Sans Pereil out of a bashed version  the kit, so far things have gone quite well. I started by cutting off the fire box from the boiler barrel and then plated up the former firebox end with a .020" disc. The other end had the kit supplied disc fitted and then over the top two discs of 15mm and 13mm were stuck to it, later on a radius was filed to represent the domed end of the boiler.

The wheels were assembled over cut down axle boxes laced in a reversed fashion to the way they are mounted on the kit. One of the sets were glued to the boiler mounting block on the underside of the boiler, the other set was attached to a piece of .080" plasticard 7mm X 5mm with a radius filled intot he top of it so that when positioned the boiler sat level.

The backing plates for the cylinders were cut down in length along with the removal of the valve chests, gusset plates were also attached to the sides of the backing plates. The assemblies were them mounted upon .020" spacers and fixed to the boiler sides in line with the axles. Once cured I made up some valve chests from. .060" plasticard squares which were glued to the lower inside faces of the backing plates.

The chimney was cut down and altered with layers of plasticard which were carved and filed to shape and a firing flue was made from Plastruct tube. The firing flue had the fire hole door from the Rocket kit modified and attached to the end of it. At the other end I have made up a driving platform from .040" plasticard scribed to represent planking.

DSCF1291.JPG.2412aa190beacba3c0c0de26d1dafa37.JPG

Rocket and Sans Pereil from the front.

DSCF1292.JPG.a726dff40a31b53f66ad4a0f05863fa6.JPG

Rocket and Sans Pereil from the rear.

Gibbo.

I'm loving this!

• Thanks 1

Hi Folks,

The Cemflos and Tartan Arrow containers do seem rather boring all of a sudden with more activity in L&MR locomotive construction.

Today I have been busy fitting all the fiddly pipes and rods, I have also been chopping the loco crew about so that they look a little more relaxed and less waving at the crowd. The major job today is to have fitted up the piston rods and also the making the coupling rods. When fixing one of the crank pins some glue got on the journals of one of the Driving wheels so I had to pull the crank pins out along with the axle which had to be repaired before refitting.

DSCF1296.JPG.be2915712ec629b116b45986310a71c2.JPG

DSCF1297.JPG.ec4ec7baeb8907f43682d4090b891ecb.JPG

My next job will deciding upon livery so far I have identified the following variations:

1. Green Loco with yellow wheels and green boiler. Yellow tender with yellow wheels and yellow barrel. Painting/Science museum model.
  2. Green Loco with yellow wheels and green boiler. Green tender with yellow wheels and varnished barrel. Photograph of replica.
  3. Green loco with yellow wheels and varnished boiler. Green tender, yellow wheels and yellow barrel. Photograph of replica.
  4. Green Loco with yellow wheels and varnished boiler. Green tender with yellow wheels and varnished barrel. Photograph of replica.

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

My next job will deciding upon livery so far I have identified the following variations:

1. Green Loco with yellow wheels and green boiler. Yellow tender with yellow wheels and yellow barrel. Painting/Science museum model.
  2. Green Loco with yellow wheels and green boiler. Green tender with yellow wheels and varnished barrel. Photograph of replica.
  3. Green loco with yellow wheels and varnished boiler. Green tender, yellow wheels and yellow barrel. Photograph of replica.
  4. Green Loco with yellow wheels and varnished boiler. Green tender with yellow wheels and varnished barrel. Photograph of replica.

You just need to make four of them - problem solved!

Tom

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TangoOscarMike said:

You just need to make four of them - problem solved!

Tom

Hi Tom,

Too late, its going to be option 2.

I have already painted the locomotive and attendant vehicle in BR Multiple Unit Green because apparently Timothy Hackworth quite liked the four car BRCW 104's.

Gibbo.

• Funny 1

Hi Folks,

Here we have a not quite finished Sans Pereil. The wheels need touching in here and there and the green looks streaky in the photographs but not in actuality, I shall have a look in the daylight at that problem. After checking the green paint I shall paint in the brass boiler bands and then coat it with matt varnish as it is a slight shiny. Once this is done I can then glue the crew into place.

DSCF1299.JPG.eeddbe5a9849aec32763cc557f48b3dc.JPG

DSCF1300.JPG.4002c8b5d98aaf874c5e0cca88da5999.JPG

DSCF1301.JPG.ca04af76f861955ac6640d451168c478.JPG

DSCF1302.JPG.8e31e70bd47e2ceb9ed978461900234b.JPG

Gibbo.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

Hi Folks,

Some supplies arrived in the post today and I have got on and had a fiddle about seeing how they could be made to work, so far it's looking good. The only thing that didn't quite work out was my attempt to solder the motor to the gearbox it was meshed well but slightly wobbly so I cheated and ran some cyanoacrylate glue into the joint and it is quite solid.

DSCF1303.JPG.45c1a608fa4b8214463734ea1f344a50.JPG

Body shell and components.

DSCF1304.JPG.6045214641afcb9d3d70208be70409bd.JPG

Motor and gear box shewing 40:1 gears ready to be fitted into the enlarged void in the body shell.

DSCF1305.JPG.6518ada058bf2a49c91aac1593cc34ba.JPG

The fit will have to be eased as the side bow outwards and rub the backs of the wheels. I like that the motor gearbox is a push fit as it makes it easy to remove should it need to be. If when finally fitted it is a slight loose a drop of PVA will keep it secure.

DSCF1306.JPG.b6d5ddf7297ddf2976702198f88a4941.JPG

On its wheels for the first time.

One modification to the body print is to glue some .020" overlays between the boiler bands as compared to both my Dapol Kit and Hornby Rockets it looked a little skinny. The one good thing is that the overlays will bolster the body shell as quite a lot of material has been removed to get the motor in place and it left the body shell quite thin.

Gibbo.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1