Bachmann 2019 Speculation

piranha230

I was also told in 2013 they were developing doing on of these, hope that comes true eventually.

Oh yessss….

For a relatively small class they cover a large area of population, and have carried an astonishing amount of different liveries.  Also, there have been subtle changes to some of the detail fittings over the years to keep any model "fresh".  Plus they make a great noise.

• RMweb Gold

From information gleaned from Farish thread, I think Bachmann are announcing at 12.00am on Monday 14th January ie one week after Hornby.

Are Bachmann waiting a week to see what Hornby are threatening to produce for 2019 and then go “oh b****r, their doing that so we’d better go to plan B and do this” lol.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget the East Midlands Trains 220/221 as well ???

East Midlands Trains are Class 222 “Meridian’s” and subtly different from Class 220 and 221’s. The cab shape is different as well as the headlights. Also some of the windows are in different places on some of the cars and I believe the body profile is slightly different as well, so they would need a complete new tooling.

Edited by jools1959

I really don't see why anyone would do this. As far as I am aware the vehicle was all Kitchen and would therefore require at least 2 other seating coaches to be tooled up to use it. People have often criticised Bachmann for producing a Mk1 RFO but no matching kitchen car and a kitchen car on its own is similarly daft while the sales and returns from investing in multiple vehicles doesn't seem sensible at a time when both production facilities are hard to find, prices are high and the economic outlook for the UK is uncertain.

Kitchen / Buffet cars with some seating as well as food preparation areas on the other hand are a much better bet - we already have a Greasley Buffet and a Maunsell Restaurant car from Hornby and if a LM designed catering vehicle is desired then an updated Period 2 six wheeled diner would fit the bill.

You just need a FO and TO. Two of the most common types of carriage on the LMS. The LMS had hundreds of TOs. Bachmann already have suitable Porthole Open coaches in their range, and both Hornby and Bachmann have suitable BR Mark Ones.

Here's the Porthole FO.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/182217/Bachmann_Branchline_39_475A_LMS_60_Porthole_first_open_M7481M_in_BR_crimson_cream_weathered/StockDetail.aspx

However I would think much more likely from Hornby than Bachmann. 

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, I think that boat has sailed, hit an iceberg.....and sunk. I don't expect to see the 94 before 2023-25. In the meantime, lots of people have woken up to the fact that the Baccy-Lima hybrid is actually a nice little item. Sure, it's out a millimetre here & there, but remember the intended clientele will run this on 16.5mm track...

Baccy have said they will retool the 8750 pannier, as the tooling is in dire need of an upgrade. The onus is upon them (should they desire) to turn out an absolute top-notch to fully corner the market.

A proper B-set to the same standard is an absolute winner.

You can't have too many panniers!

I don't want to agree with this, but all the indications are that you are right, Ian.  Even Bachmann have woken up to the fact that the Limbach is an acceptable solution to many of us, and stopped selling 57xx mechanisms as a result in order to preserve the reservoir of 94xx demand.  2023-5 is 10 to 12 years after the model was announced; deplorable!

A proper B set is indeed an absolute winner, especially if it is a flat ended type that can run as a single coach.  In fact. as anyone who reads my ramblings here already knows, any non gangwayed GW passenger stock is something that will get my vote and money, as will almost any pre-A28 auto trailer with the possible exception of the Plymouth area gangwayed trailers.

You can't, I agree completely, have too many panniers.

Just a few items I'd like to see: 

Wessex Trains 150 & Wessex Trains 158. I reckon we'll see a return of the 158 in Central Trains before long though - It's widespread and worked with the 170s. 

FGW Local Lines 150 & FGW Local lines 158. Nice smooth sides on these two, so if Realtrack can crack it on a Pacer then come on Bachmann! 

47s in GWT / FGW Green / Gold. Virgin. DRS. Riviera? I reckon RFD or Freightliner two-tone has to be a shoe-in with the recent container flats? 

Mk2s in Virgin, Anglia, DRS? 

Going for a completely outside shot here but a refurbished DBSO - Intercity Swallow, Anglia, Network Rail (There's at least 2 which are not extensively modified - 9702?) 

Wagon wise - The KSA "High Cube" wagons - Preferably as the timber carrying version but, after all these years I'm surprised they haven't been modelled yet. Or the YKA / YWA Osprey or Salmon Engineers wagons, seeing as we now have nearly everything else to create a modern engineers formation. 

• Like 2

116 and 120 DMUs

BR 21t Mineral Wagons

Throw in a load of blue 37s with skirts and dominoes and that is South Wales sorted !!!

Seriously, those are three very desirable items, along with the 104, but I don't think Bachmann will be thinking about the 116 for a long time after the 117. To be honest it would surprise me to hear Dapol announce the 116 based on the development of their 122 bubble car  

A proper B set is indeed an absolute winner, especially if it is a flat ended type that can run as a single coach.  In fact. as anyone who reads my ramblings here already knows, any non gangwayed GW passenger stock is something that will get my vote and money, as will almost any pre-A28 auto trailer with the possible exception of the Plymouth area gangwayed trailers.

I would prefer pukka non corridor coaches before a new B set, simply because the non corridors are more flexible for the modeller. Certainly my piece of BR(WR) in the West Midlands saw good numbers of non corridors whereas B sets were more the bucolic fayre of BLTs 

I would expect a Class 357, especially now they've re-tooled the 170 (although whether that is a real upgrade is another question!).

While it's not my scene, I would have thought an investment in a 377 body shape could allow many variations of that shape to be pumped out without too much change - even a 172.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt

• RMweb Gold

I don't want to agree with this, but all the indications are that you are right, Ian.  Even Bachmann have woken up to the fact that the Limbach is an acceptable solution to many of us, and stopped selling 57xx mechanisms as a result in order to preserve the reservoir of 94xx demand.  2023-5 is 10 to 12 years after the model was announced; deplorable!

You can't really knock Bachmann: their attention to quality is by & large spot on. As a producer, it's their prerogative to release (or not) anything they wish to make. I'd guess they have underestimated the retained popularity of the 57xx-8750 pannier, which is after all, a very good model. E-bay prices remain good, with unscrupulous sellers trying it on with the Mainline model. That is itself, not a bad one either. If you look at the ratio of 8750 to 64xx, you'll see far more 8750 to 64, a bit like real life. It's a tough spot for Bachmann. The development costs can come close to wiping any potential profit they might make from the project. That then has a tendency to increase prices to cover costs. Here's where the problem starts. The increase drives it past the acceptable level of expectation of the product. A normal solution is to hang back, until the market can accept the inevitable price hike.

I like the prospect of the 94xx. But it's a rather pleasant conundrum for Bachmann. "Can we sell enough 94xx?" It's a little like mirroring real life, when the introduction of the real thing happened against the backdrop of a sea of existing 8750 panniers.

No, I won't knock Bachmann: There must be a pretty tough set of margins to work against. Time is, I feel, the only healer here, so we'll just have to wait. In the mean time, people will still convert the Lima model....

Cheers,

Ian.

That was double heading though.

Considering proper railways consider a Black Five or Hall as a medium powered locomotive I think we can safely say a 3P 4-4-0 is small. A Jinty is more powerful.

Jason

GREAT !  That means you can legitimately get two !

The were passenger engines that worked expresses and later in their lives worked locals and mixed traffic.  They earned their living nearly to the end of steam.

Considering proper railways consider a Black Five or Hall as a medium powered locomotive I think we can safely say a 3P 4-4-0 is small. A Jinty is more powerful.

Jason

A Jinty more powerful than a SR D1/E1/L1 4-4-0?  No !!!!! 

I suspect you are comparing the theoretical tractive effort figure of the Jinty and the 4-4-0s.

Theoretical tractive effort is not a measure of power it's just an estimate of the initial force (in lb.) of the driving wheel rim on the rail on starting.

The 4-4-0s mentioned could produce 1000 hp which a Jinty certainly couldn't.

Jason

They single-handedly coped with SE Pullman trains at one time.

Sorry, I think that boat has sailed, hit an iceberg.....and sunk. I don't expect to see the 94 before 2023-25. In the meantime, lots of people have woken up to the fact that the Baccy-Lima hybrid is actually a nice little item. Sure, it's out a millimetre here & there, but remember the intended clientele will run this on 16.5mm track...

Baccy have said they will retool the 8750 pannier, as the tooling is in dire need of an upgrade. The onus is upon them (should they desire) to turn out an absolute top-notch to fully corner the market.

A proper B-set to the same standard is an absolute winner.

You can't have too many panniers!

When did Bachmann say they would retool the 8750 pannier?  I missed that announcement

A B set would be fantastic, I would have at least 2 of the E140 sets

Edited by GWR8700

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't be surprised if Bachmann announce a 4-Cig based on the 4-TC they produced for Kernow..... Especially considering i've now bought all the bits to make one....